Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old October 16, 2019, 19:48   #251
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
That's acceptable, but not outstanding.

An AR-type rifle with an optic and a fair-quality barrel should be able to deliver a 10-shot group at 100 yards about like this.

X-ring is 3/4"

The low shot was totally called. When I let that go, I immediately thought, "Well, there goes my chances of cleaning this target."

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2019, 00:34   #252
old_spambo
Registered

FALaholic #: 75387
It's a *budget* .308 AR. I am not expecting it to shoot like a $3K rifle.
Plus, I am not that great of a bench rest shooter.

Spambo
old_spambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2019, 06:45   #253
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

I dunno.

That group was shot with a 5.56 AR-15 and a $220 Wilson barrel, using a $300 Leupold scope, lying on my belly, using a military-type sling.

Hornady 75-grain bullet with 24.2 grains Varget loaded to magazine length.

There is no reason these 7.62 guns canít deliver comparable results. I just havenít been able to get any combination of Palmetto parts to do it.

Yet.

Old October 17, 2019, 23:17   #254
old_spambo
Registered

FALaholic #: 75387
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
I dunno.

That group was shot with a 5.56 AR-15 and a $220 Wilson barrel, using a $300 Leupold scope, lying on my belly, using a military-type sling.

Hornady 75-grain bullet with 24.2 grains Varget loaded to magazine length.

There is no reason these 7.62 guns can’t deliver comparable results. I just haven’t been able to get any combination of Palmetto parts to do it.

Yet.
I have a WOA 20" SS barrel that will shoot those Hornady 75's with 24.3gr RL-15
under 1" if I do my part.

I had 2 5 shot groups using the PA-10 that measured 1 1/2" at 100 yards using Hornady bullets.
I suspect I could tighten up the groups using Sierra, Berger, or Barnes bullets but don't want
to spend the $$. Sierra MK's run $40/100 and Bergers are even more.

Still, it's $770 gun. I don't think the barrel is best.

Spambo

Last edited by old_spambo; October 17, 2019 at 23:30.
old_spambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2019, 18:43   #255
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

I've been shooting the PA-10 a bit lately.

Governor is probably gonna confiscate this rifle July 1. Or so that cocksucker says.

I removed the barrel to explore the possibility of "truing" the receiver face. Once I got the barrel off, I couldn't get the tool to enter the receiver without using more force than I was willing to apply. So the "truing" didn't happen. I couldn't say it even needed it. But, the tool was available, and the rifle was shooting badly. Figured it would be worth a try if I could get the tool to fit.

To make matters even more sporty, the damn index-pin on the barrel managed to work its way proud, so it chewed the hell out of the threads on the barrel nut when I spun the barrel nut off the receiver.

I did clean up the burrs on the locking lugs of the barrel extension. The barrel extension had been chewing the hell out of the Palmetto bolt.

I also replaced the entire Palmetto bolt/carrier assembly with a Toolcraft bolt/carrier assembly.

I started a whole new thread after the incident with the barrel index-pin and the barrel nut. The thread rambled into a lot of discussion about the why's and the how-for's of what's up with this Palmetto gun shooting badly. Pics of some shitty groups fired with the Palmetto gun in the new thread.

Link to new thread is at https://falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446713

Old November 11, 2019, 21:01   #256
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Brother W.E.G, why not send it off to Fulton Armory or even gunplumber? Fulton Armory obviously being closer but gunplumber should be able to fix it too.

Jarhead
Old November 11, 2019, 21:24   #257
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

I'm sure I could send that that thing off to somebody else to work on.

Working on AR's is pretty much like working on plumbing insofar as the principles of how it all goes together. I have all the tools for ordinary assembly/disassembly. Still working on the tools for smelting iron into high carbon steel. So, I'm an assembler, not a "builder."

Moreover, the asswipe Governor of Virginia said he's gonna confiscate all these sorts of guns on July 1, sooner if he can get enough dicksuckers to go along. Looks like he's got the numbers on the asswipes needed to pull it off too. It really comes down to who is an asswipe and who is a dicksucker at this point. Gonna determin whether you just gotta suck it or whether you gotta take it all the way in the ass on July 1. Never thought it would come to that in Virginia.

Not gonna have my gun in the mail somewhere, and put the wrencher in the position of becoming a felon for sending it back to me after the rioting starts. I'll keep my shit and fix it myself if its really worth fixing at this point. I know where they sell good barrels.

GoddamfugkingVirginia.

I've already got rifles with good barrels that I use for competition.

Old November 12, 2019, 10:37   #258
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
Quote:
I'm sure I could send that that thing off to somebody else to work on.

Working on AR's is pretty much like working on plumbing insofar as the principles of how it all goes together. I have all the tools for ordinary assembly/disassembly. Still working on the tools for smelting iron into high carbon steel. So, I'm an assembler, not a "builder."

Moreover, the asswipe Governor of Virginia said he's gonna confiscate all these sorts of guns on July 1, sooner if he can get enough dicksuckers to go along. Looks like he's got the numbers on the asswipes needed to pull it off too. It really comes down to who is an asswipe and who is a dicksucker at this point. Gonna determin whether you just gotta suck it or whether you gotta take it all the way in the ass on July 1. Never thought it would come to that in Virginia.

Not gonna have my gun in the mail somewhere, and put the wrencher in the position of becoming a felon for sending it back to me after the rioting starts. I'll keep my shit and fix it myself if its really worth fixing at this point. I know where they sell good barrels.

GoddamfugkingVirginia.

I've already got rifles with good barrels that I use for competition.

I think it is very unlikely that black rifles get outlawed in Virginia - way too many people own them nowadays. Virginia's constitution requires that the govt compensate owners for property it takes. Think any gun ban would cost 100s of millions to implement.

Red Flag Laws and Universal background checks are the bills I'm more concerned about.

I'd try a Ballistic Advantage barrel - the one I have on an AR pistol shoots very well.
nvcdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2019, 12:30   #259
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

They pass the law says it’s illegal to possess, and boom. Instant felon.
Costs them nothing to pass the law. Most of them will actually be paid handsomely to do it.

They’ll work on the particulars of enforcement as time and opportunity allows.

Every range and gun club will be forced to disallow illegal guns on the premises.

Old November 12, 2019, 12:58   #260
nvcdl
Registered

Quote:
They pass the law says itís illegal to possess, and boom. Instant felon.
Costs them nothing to pass the law. Most of them will actually be paid handsomely to do it.

Theyíll work on the particulars of enforcement as time and opportunity allows.

Every range and gun club will be forced to disallow illegal guns on the premises.
I don't see this happening unless gunowners play dead. I see them maybe passing Univeral Background Checks and Red Flag laws.
Old November 12, 2019, 14:09   #261
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Gun owners didn't elect the majority-party in both houses or the Governor.

What say does any gun owner have in the matter at this point?

The legislature has the votes to do whatever it wants to gun owners. The governor will sign any anti-gun thing that hits his desk.

What am I missing?

Last edited by W.E.G.; November 12, 2019 at 16:02.
Old November 12, 2019, 14:12   #262
jam762
Registered

FALaholic #: 68968
Quote:
They pass the law says itís illegal to possess, and boom. Instant felon.

Theyíll work on the particulars of enforcement as time and opportunity allows.

If comes to pass, all you will need the rifle to shoot is MOM. Nothing more.
Once war is declared and jackboots start marching it could cause the the whole keg to ignite.
jam762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2019, 14:26   #263
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam762 View Post
If comes to pass, all you will need the rifle to shoot is MOM. Nothing more.
Once war is declared and jackboots start marching it could cause the the whole keg to ignite.
Hey now, leave my mother out of this!

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2019, 08:49   #264
nvcdl
Registered

Quote:
Gun owners didn't elect the majority-party in both houses or the Governor.

What say does any gun owner have in the matter at this point?

The legislature has the votes to do whatever it wants to gun owners. The governor will sign any anti-gun thing that hits his desk.

What am I missing?
Most politicians want don't actually want to pass bills - they want to campaign on them. I know Dems who own black rifles in NoVa who will be mightly pissed if they get banned. Lot of Dems have CHPs also.
Old November 13, 2019, 10:37   #265
STGguy
Registered

FALaholic #: 81733
Jewell Trigger..?

Have you ever tried a Jewell AR trigger? I had one that came on a 24" Heavy BBL DPMS. I had half of one of those "wedge" lead things in the stock so it weighed a ton, had a PSG grip, etc.

That was THE most accurate Semi Auto I've eve owned and that trigger is amazing. I sold it a little while ago just as I wasn't shooting it and it wasn't too practical unless I was punching paper or went on a P Dog hunt which I'be wanted to forever.

I'd give them a +1... More stuff to think about! lol

Quote:
I haven't.

The thing about the Geissele National Match trigger (and I'll say now, its not that great) is that it breaks kind of "way out front," unlike a lot of two-stage triggers that break much farther back.

I could probably adjust it some to make it a little lighter, and maybe less "stagey." There's a fairly heavy take up, then a small bit of creep, and then a very clean break with imperceptible overtravel.

Most of the high-quality two-stage triggers out there now also are quite a bit lighter than the 4.5# service rifle trigger. I think mine actually weighs-in a lot higher (although, I probably could adjust some of that out). I can put the full set of National Match trigger weights on all my triggers, and even the extra quarter-pound weight, and the trigger won't break unless I shake the rifle really hard. I had the experience driving to a really important match years ago, and had the Krieger-Milazzo trigger not make weight. That was stressful. Never again.

If I ever give up National Match competitions, I can at least put a lighter spring in the Geissele triggers and make them fight-back less. I put the lighter spring in the shorty-blasty DPMS LR-308T. Didn't change WHERE the trigger breaks, but is noticeably lighter. Interesting that because of the way the trigger is adjusted (didn't change a thing right out of the box), it still makes weight on the 4.5# weight set.
STGguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2019, 11:39   #266
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Jewell trigger is very good.

I earned 26 of my 30 points toward Distinguished Rifleman award behind a Jewell.

Kind of complex mechanism. Pretty sure they are out of production for AR guns.

Old November 15, 2019, 09:11   #267
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

I'm probably gonna just mothball it at this point.
I've tested everything I can test.
I've fixed everything I can fix - except the barrel.

Whether its the barrel (I suspect it is), or something else (I've changed damn-near everything else on the gun!),
what I know for sure is, this rifle does not shoot to the standard of accuracy
I demand for the purpose of which I intended it.

Configured as best as I can to comply with the "service rifle" rule
for M-110 rifle in NRA/CMP National Match competition.

Virginia gun laws do not bode well for this rifle in 2020.
If it isn't legal to be seen with it in public on July 1, you won't be seeing me with it in public.