The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > RKBA & Legal

Notices

Old November 02, 2019, 18:39   #1
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
somehow taking is not taking...

even if the feds said they could invest in the making. the pockets will have to get bigger on an appeal, which has to happen, or The Republic is lost.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/c...0-bump-stocks/

A federal judge ruled last week that companies forced to destroy nearly 75,000 bump stocks will receive no compensation from the government.

Two companies and two individuals had sued the federal government after the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) issued a rule re-classifying bump stocks as “machine guns” thus forcing bump stock owners to surrender or destroy the devices. The plaintiffs argued that the ATF’s decision violated their Fifth Amendment rights and they were seeking $500,000 as compensation for their lost property.

Loren A Smith, a senior circuit judge for a federal court in Washington, D.C., dismissed the suit, arguing that because the ATF was exercising its “police powers” in its bump stock decision, the Fifth Amendment’s Taking Clause does not apply...
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2019, 19:19   #2
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
The number of rights (“Amendments”) that don’t apply anymore is amazing.
Old November 02, 2019, 19:54   #3
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Since when did tax agents garner "police" powers?

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2019, 19:56   #4
medicmike
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
I sure hope they successfully appeal...this sets a horrible precedence and could have a huge effect on future gun bans.....

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 03, 2019, 13:10   #5
bill3542
Registered

FALaholic #: 5675
and they wonder why we call them jack booted thugs.
Old November 03, 2019, 13:19   #6
357ross
Registered

FALaholic #: 47543
Another activist 'judge', probably another obummer appointee... but I stand corrected,he's one of Reagan's.
357ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 03, 2019, 14:37   #7
lowprone
Registered

FALaholic #: 9987
Makes no difference, just look at Roberts.
lowprone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 04, 2019, 16:21   #8
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
Wait a minute...

... ATF cannot make law. Only congress can make law. I know both houses of congress introduced bills banning bump stocks, but I can't find any information that the President ever sign it into law? Regulations are not law, so how can anyone be criminally prosecuted for violating a regulation? I'm asking because I am unclear on the issue. Could anyone shed some light on that?

I suppose that if the feds can just ban a product at will from private ownership they could ban ANY product from private ownership.... even the expression of private thought put into words, pictures, or music.

That's some scary sheet right there! I guess they do as they please because no one that could intimidate them ever stood up and loudly said, "Hell no!" That has to change!
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 04, 2019, 19:28   #9
G1user
Registered

FALaholic #: 6546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydah View Post
Wait a minute...

... ATF cannot make law. Only congress can make law. I know both houses of congress introduced bills banning bump stocks, but I can't find any information that the President ever sign it into law? Regulations are not law, so how can anyone be criminally prosecuted for violating a regulation? I'm asking because I am unclear on the issue. Could anyone shed some light on that?

I suppose that if the feds can just ban a product at will from private ownership they could ban ANY product from private ownership.... even the expression of private thought put into words, pictures, or music.

That's some scary sheet right there! I guess they do as they please because no one that could intimidate them ever stood up and loudly said, "Hell no!" That has to change!
the argument is that NFA compliant bump stock grip adapters are "devices", "contrivances" prohibted under the NFA tax regulations....which bump stocks were intended and designed specifically to comply with,
because derp.
Old November 05, 2019, 07:33   #10
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1user View Post
the argument is that NFA compliant bump stock grip adapters are "devices", "contrivances" prohibted under the NFA tax regulations....which bump stocks were intended and designed specifically to comply with,
because derp.
Thanks for your input, G1user. I am under the opinion that the only things the feds ever ban are those items that empower the citizen in the feds own opinion... like bump stocks for example.
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2019, 20:40   #11
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
I’ve never had any use for bump stocks, matter of fact I regard them as one of the most useless firearm accessories ever dreamed up.
Ever.

But this outright banning of these devices, by executive fiat no less, should worry every single person in this Nation, not just us 2A guys.

This will happen for anything, including the right to travel, free speech, rights of assembly, right to practice our faith, anything that exists today is able to be taken away by the snap of the fingers of the President aided by a compliant government.
Old November 14, 2019, 17:39   #12
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
The SCOTUS did not go any farther than upholding the ban on them, but not the act of bump firing. Wrangler Jeans belt loops are still legal to wear.

NYS, however, can interpret belt loops as a device...............bump fire in NYS and you can be red flagged, belt loops or not.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote