The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old November 03, 2019, 12:52   #1
bill3542
Registered

FALaholic #: 5675
Who has a bolt action in 6.5 Creedmore

My son has the bug for a 6.5 Creedmore, large gun shop in Clearfield, Pa has a few varieties and he is thinking scoped Savage 110 with all the bells and whistles.

Eventually would reload for it but wanted to know what brass and bullet weights work the best for this, both factory ammo and your opinions on reloaded ammo.
I prefer Hodgdon spherical ball powders for reloading but will hear about others.

this is mainly gonna be distance shooting and groundhogs, occasional coyote a possibility also. from what I hear this caliber is great for distance.
Old November 03, 2019, 13:53   #2
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Snipers hide has more info than you can read in a week.
Old November 03, 2019, 15:29   #3
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I have a Savage LE Tactical in 6.5CM. 24 inch heavy profile barrel with 10 round RBM using the Magpul AICS design. I use it as my primary hunting rifle since I got it 3 years ago. Accuracy is less than ¾MOA using factory hunting ammo. However, it is ammo sensitive and shoots noticeably different with different bullet weights. I have taken it out to 600 yards at the range and do not hesitate to make 350 yard shots on deer. Any farther is beyond what I care to take based on my limits and not the rifle.

The Savage is a heavy rifle and not one to tote around in the woods or plains looking for game. If you are looking to do that, I would go with the Tika T3 Super Lite. These are nice, light carry rifles with exceptional accuracy. They can be a little more pricey than the Savages and Rugers, IMHO they are worth it. I have one in .223 and it is my small game getter -coyotes, ground hogs, smaller feral pigs.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...ucts_id/110553

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 03, 2019, 16:19   #4
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
I've been using a RPR in 6.5 to shoot in F-Class matches. Have a Nightforce Precision Benchrest 12x42x56 mounted and have changed the trigger out to a 8oz/1lb two stage. When I bought the rifle, I bought 100 rounds of Hornady Match 140gr. Shot great out of the box with the Hornady Match. Shot well enough that I was told to take that rifle home and bring back my Savage .308.
Old November 04, 2019, 19:32   #5
Elwarpo
Registered

FALaholic #: 38498
I have a RPR in 6.5 and it is about 1/2 MOA out of the box. I like the heavier Hornady 147 ELD for longer ranges, but the 140s have also been accurate.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke
Elwarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 04, 2019, 21:57   #6
emcroy
Registered

FALaholic #: 33420
I've been eyeing a Bergara B14 hmr, seems like a good deal for what all you get? I have no experience with them however.
Old November 08, 2019, 20:09   #7
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
My father shoots F-class with a heavy barreled Savage 6.5 Creedmore. Based on his experience, if I wanted to shoot long range, I'd look hard at a Savage.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote