The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Shotgun Files

Notices

Old December 31, 2019, 16:44   #1
Tkay
Registered

FALaholic #: 83465
Location: I'm here to make deals on fire arms case..I have been into firearms for a very long time....and I need a forum to purchase my firearms and buy other firearms I'm in need of Dallas Texas
Remington 870 "tactical"

So what's the deal with Remington and their 870 model 25077? Can you not get barrels longer than 18.5 in? Nothing threaded and nothing longer or either or... This seems very dumb.
Tkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2019, 18:19   #2
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
I guess that is due to the model of it, and how they market that particular model.

I'm sure the end user can buy other barrels in whatever length and choke or threaded for a choke or even rifle slug barrel if they want.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2019, 18:42   #3
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Actually with that model (with the extended magazine tube being built in) I believe the barrel is specific to it and other options are not available. It is not marketed and sold as a Wingmaster would be. If you want all the bells and whistles you buy a normal 870 and fit it out as you desire. It's in essence a "budget" tactical" gun.
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2019, 19:28   #4
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Do you want something that you can "dress up," or do you want something that is a turnkey pump-action shotgun?

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2019, 22:03   #5
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Its a rack grade killing machine, for close in work,,,it works well enough as intended.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2020, 01:24   #6
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Its a rack grade killing machine, for close in work,,,it works well enough as intended.
This sums up the 870 absolutely perfectly.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop! -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2020, 19:44   #7
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
I think a non-tactical with a GOOD +2 extension is the tits. And I'll take a used Wingmaster over a new Express. I dont dislike the Express at all, just prefer the old Wingmasters.

Tactical gives up flexibility of swapping barrels, though one can have barrel threaded for chokes. 18" is OK except maybe waterfowl where long barrels are preferred.
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2020, 11:55   #8
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Shotguns are so darn cheap,,,,,just buy a long barrel one,,,an old Mossberg,,an 870 Police Magnum,,or Tactical short barrel one,,,a double barreled one with exposed hammers,,,because they look cool,,and be done with it.

Flea market find,,,40 bucks for a mossy 18 inch barrel,,,instant "tactical" shotgun.

40 bucks,,,gunsmith,,26 inch barrel,,now 18 and a quarter inches,,instant riot shotgun.

Police surplus,,carried a lot,,shot very little,,going for less than 2 bills here all the time.

Buy a LOT of shotguns,cheap,,great weapons,,,ammo is cheap,,,from rabbit loads to elephant loads,,thing does everything,,,up close.

Old January 04, 2020, 19:54   #9
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I too suffer from owning too many shotguns. Have one of the Rhodesian clone kits and have purchased five more Browning A5s to chop for the project and all are too nice to chop so add to the pile. Have over a dozen Browning A5s now. One has a +5 extension tube and friction rings were played with till runs with the 1.75" long Aguila short shells. Can run slugs from it all day without reloading. Have another next to bed with a +6 extension loaded with Winchester PDX which will chop a zombie into pieces fairly quickly.

Back in 1981 to 1983 bought four Winchester Rangers with dual op rods and chopped two to 18.5" had backbone and rethreaded for their Winchoke system. Other two were turned into beater turkey guns. I do like ability to change chokes on a defensive shotgun especially for using breaching rounds properly and safely. Also like to be able to use rifled chokes for slugs.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2020, 18:06   #10
BiGB808
Registered

FALaholic #: 18195
I want a Rhodesian clone a5 please

Beautiful Style. Kind of like Wood FAL's

Huey sell me your kit, you have way too many other hobbies and projects. You dont want that getting sold in bulk estate sale when you pass to the great beyond. Some Fudd is going to say "what the hell is this clown sized wood hand guard!" ...toss
Old January 07, 2020, 07:22   #11
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
https://aiptactical.com/

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 07, 2020, 10:40   #12
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
I see all this fancy stuff,,,and think back,,,,to the beat to death stock shotguns we used with devastating effect for their intended purpose and just smile.

A thousand dollar or more shotgun,,,with all the frills,,,or,,a surplus 870,,,and 1000 rounds of OO buck stored in ammo cans,,is a no brainer for most folks.

I saw a hand guard with a light built in,,,going for three hundred bucks,,,,thing looked heavy,,and easy to hang up on everything it comes into contact with.

Folks let targets get within shotgun range,,,,,ya kinda screwed,,,so one better have a lot of ammo..and an escape plan.............

Old January 07, 2020, 10:42   #13
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

And shotguns are great at conducting an escape plan.
5 quick rounds down the tube,then run like hell while reloading.
Just saying.

Old January 09, 2020, 09:49   #14
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
And shotguns are great at conducting an escape plan.
[7] quick rounds down the tube,then run like hell while reloading.
Just saying.
FIFY
Could be, you may not have to run, unless they are stuck on stupid.
No accounting for Zombies.

Remy 870 Mag. 20", rifle sights, rifled choke, (not sure why)and a extra two round mag tube. Good n' cheap Special.
Extra 28" barrel, not sure why again.
Old January 10, 2020, 09:50   #15
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGB808 View Post
I want a Rhodesian clone a5 please

Beautiful Style. Kind of like Wood FAL's

Huey sell me your kit, you have way too many other hobbies and projects. You dont want that getting sold in bulk estate sale when you pass to the great beyond. Some Fudd is going to say "what the hell is this clown sized wood hand guard!" ...toss
I got the last kit that migrated from South Africa and forearm is not real wood but a molded part. Have to paint a faux wood pattern. Found this picture of what article says is genuine Rhodie but forearm looks longer than mine or others have seen.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=2995

I am holding out now for a true FN scatter gun to put kit on. Your probably right it would be best for me to sell it but not reach ed that point yet. Took pics and have ready to list an ad in marketplace for an L2a1 front end with nice barrel, gas block, sight ears and a Conan inch upper receiver but not been able to cross the line and actually post it as more L2s are not needed in my pile unless Canadian.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote