The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old July 01, 2019, 10:39   #1
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
22lr on grafs

Looks like some of its down to 4 cents a round and $4 shipping if you buy enough. You can't make your own and can't reload it so remember when you couldn't find any.
Bawana jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 01, 2019, 15:57   #2
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Thank you, Jim.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 01, 2019, 16:37   #3
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Uh...

I didn't buy an .22LR, but I found that Hornady's Frontier Ammo is on sale for $0.20/round - DELIVERED.

If anyone here shoots .223/5.56mm, go and get you some right away.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 01, 2019, 20:01   #4
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
SGAmmo has the Remington Thunderbolt for $149.50/5000 plus shipping. The shipping to me is $22, but would probably be about the same or less to most.

And they package it extremely well so it isn't all beaten up in transit...

(Do not take this as a negative comment about Grafs, since I like them).

Since I have enough Thunderbolt (which I don't shoot much of), I think that the much better buy at SGAmmo is the RWS 40gr HP Copper plated High Velocity Field load for $229.99/5000. That's incredibly cheap for this excellent ammo, and I couldn't resist a couple of cases...

Forrest
ftierson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 01, 2019, 20:38   #5
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Uh...

I didn't buy an .22LR, but I found that Hornady's Frontier Ammo is on sale for $0.20/round - DELIVERED.

For .223 Rem 55gr HP 'Match ammo' (whatever that means... )...

Shit, I came to leave some .22LR thoughts and you forced me into ordering a couple thousand rounds of this .223...

Still in stock when I finished...

Forrest
Old July 01, 2019, 21:40   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

That 223 is cheaper than most 22 magnum ammo.
Old July 02, 2019, 03:10   #7
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Quote:
Uh...

Different website, or out of stock?

Not seeing it:

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...categoryId/103
Old July 02, 2019, 03:12   #8
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Different website, or out of stock?

Not seeing it:

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...categoryId/103
Your link...

Second line on right...

Forrest
Old July 02, 2019, 03:44   #9
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
Your link...

Second line on right...

Forrest
Second line on rigjt?

$0.25/ for wolf is cheapest it's pulling up fpr.me, frontier is $0.38 per

Its.late and I did too much today, what am i missing?

Eta:
Very odd.
Didn't show up AT ALL.

When I typed:
223 Rem 55gr HP 'Match ammo

Into the search bar I found it.
$10 shipping on 5,100 rounds.

Thanks, more ammo to add to the pile I'll never shoot (I hate AR's)

Last edited by Nomad, 2nd; July 02, 2019 at 03:59.
Nomad, 2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 02, 2019, 05:31   #10
imacoonass01
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Thanks, more ammo to add to the pile I'll never shoot (I hate AR's)
That being said, here is the link for those who do shoot AR's.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/76184
Old July 02, 2019, 10:11   #11
Bawana jim
Registered

I can't reload 223 hollow points for 20 cents a round. Time to buy.
Old July 02, 2019, 10:20   #12
richbug
Registered

FALaholic #: 10484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
I can't reload 223 hollow points for 20 cents a round. Time to buy.

Only one left in stock. Not worth sighting a gun in for it.
richbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 02, 2019, 10:37   #13
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbug View Post
Only one left in stock. Not worth sighting a gun in for it.
Ya I bought a bunch, $4 a box of 20 for hollow points is a deal I couldn't pass up. I got the $4 shipping with it too.

Just thinking out loud, what will it do to ammo prices since kali went to BC to buy ammo? Big state with a lot of shooters, will it start a trend?
Old July 04, 2019, 09:22   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I never like Thunderbolt ammo but dropped a brick in my buggy every trip through Walmart for a long time. When they began carrying the cartons of Federal Automator would grab one of those to. During Sandy Hook I was giving it away to Boy Scouts and church groups, fronting to friends with agreement they would replace when prices normalized and was selling in LGS parking lot for $50 to $100 per brick.

One day were three guys in LGS freaking out about rimfire. Owner pointed them to me and walked out. One guy who said would pay whatever had to and driving a $75,000 truck offered me $100 immediately when pulled brick from behind seat and took his money. Another of the guys said he couldn't afford $100 but if ever felt like taking $75 he could afford that so pulled another brick of Thunderbolts out for him.

Last guy said no way he could afford a brick but had promised to take his two sons shooting and would I sell him a couple of 50 round boxes. Was driving a truck as rough as mine so pulled a brick out and handed to him and told him better not hear he sold any, hopefully would get his sons through the panic if rationed them. First guy gut upset but explained he obviously could afford it considering truck and number of $100 bills in wallet. People like him allowed me to help people who could not afford to shoot at all.

I sold a pile of them but can't remember shooting any in years. Federal Automatch is cheapest ammo I shoot but more likely to pull upper tier boxes of Aguilla, Federal Premium Gold Match and Champion, CCI Green Tag, Ely Match and Tennex, Lapua Center-X and Midas, SK Standard and Match, etc. No sense shooting cheap ammo through precision rimfire rifles. Have found more rifles like CCI Green Tag than any other in its price range so luckily had over 10,000 rounds of it put back when panic hit and shared none.

Odd thing was price didn't go up proportionately on good target ammo so when able to find it didn't cost that much more to shoot premium ammo. Often saw people paying more for Thunderbolts than I could find Ely. Right now Thunderbolts are 0.03 each at Midway. Now that cheap rimfire is back under $15 per brick am restocking so that next panic can sell to the same people whose habit is to keep a few boxes laying around and have to stop at store anytime going shooting. Amazing how many didn't learn and have returned to former habits. Every time I go in a place that sells rimfire ammo will walk out with at least a 50 round box of something if not a 100 rounds or a brick. Another panic is waiting to happen.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2019, 17:48   #15
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Quote:
Uh...

They seemed to be out of it, but I checked again this afternoon and they have some left.

At .20/round I just could NOT resist the lure of shiny brass cased .223. Had to pick some up. didn't want to. Just HAD to at that price.

Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2019, 19:25   #16
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
That 223 is cheaper than most 22 magnum ammo.
It always has been; when you could even find 22 Magnum.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2019, 20:16   #17
Bawana jim
Registered

I got my order today and the brass was military and annealed. Can't say it looked perfect as some was tarnished. Crimp primers.
Old July 10, 2019, 22:26   #18
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Yeah, it is a bit scruffy looking. Hope it shoots better than it looks. I could also do without the crimped primer. Adds another nofun chore to the reload process.

To be fair, it does say "Military Grade" on the box and the price was right.
Old July 10, 2019, 22:56   #19
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
I got my order today and the brass was military and annealed. Can't say it looked perfect as some was tarnished. Crimp primers.
The ammo is marked on the 150rd box:

5.56NATO55GR
HOLLOW POINT MATCH
Item # FR242

Of course, there is no 5.56mm NATO 55gr ammo, but I'll let that slide for a moment...

The ammo looks like standard LC Ball ammo with the exception that there is a 55gr HP, crimped in the cannelure. The cartridge OAL is shorter than M193 (looking more like something loaded for .223 Rem. specs).

Like most military ammo, the neck anneal is clearly visible and the case is not highly polished. I much prefer this to a higher polished commercial case. The ammo that I got looks just fine, and I doubt that 'tarnished' is exactly what Jim meant unless he got some stuff very different than mine.

FR242 is what was advertised and that's exactly what I got. I think that the 'problem,' if that's the word to be used, is that the stock picture on grafs (and on the Frontier website) has a picture of highly polished cases.

I'm quite happy with how the ammo looks...

I went to the range yesterday and shot 30rds of it (yeah, I know, not much, but that wasn't the focus of the range trip):

15 rds in a Weatherby Vanguard purchased in 2007 with a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40mmSF scope.

10 rds in a Remington M788 purchased in 1982 (had the long 1:12 barrel then) with a Tasco (made in Japan) WC 3-9x40mm scope.

5 rds in a PSA mid-length 16in upper with an FN CHF CL 1:7 barrel on an LRB lower with IMI buttstock (assembled in 2014) with an AimPointCompM2.

Given range limitations yesterday, I shot all three at 50 yards.

The AR put 5 rds into 1in, shooting at the center of an 8.5x11in blank sheet of paper. Not awful, but it also shot 5 rds of Wolf Gold 55gr M193 into 5/8in at the same time.

The M788 put five rounds into 1/2 inch, but it has always been a tack-driver.

The Vanguard put 5 rds into about 7/8 in...

Then again, these rifles were shooting other stuff about the same or better (Wolf Gold 55 M193, handloads with an IMI M193 bullet ahead of 26.5 grains of AA2230C, with a PPU M193 bullet ahead of 25.5 gr AA2460, Hornady 55gr Spitzer SP with 26.0gr AA2230C, etc), all in military cases with CCI400 primers).

My point is that the ammo looks fine to me, and shoots OK for my purposes...

However, I do have one editorial note: Two rounds of this Frontier ammo were very tight in the chamber of the Weatherby Vanguard, one so tight that I had to beat the bolt handle closed. Both shot fine in terms of the group being worked on, but none of the other ammo I was shooting had this problem (as a matter of fact, I never have this kind of problem with reloads or factory ammo in .223 Rem. or 5.56x45mm).

If the tight rounds had occurred in the Rem M788, I would not have attempted closing on them, since reattaching a broken bolt handle is not on my agenda. I do regret not checking them in that rifle too, though (which, being stupid, didn't occur to me until after I had fired the rounds in the Vanguard).

All in all, I'm not unhappy with this Frontier ammo for the price I paid for it. However, I'm reminded once again (which has happened quite a bit lately) of the low quality of US manufactured products...

Forrest

PS: Powder weight disclaimer: These are not recommended loads, only reporting on what I shot with the lots of power I used after working up to M193 velocity specs. In addition, AA2230C is not the same as AA2230...

Last edited by ftierson; July 10, 2019 at 23:03. Reason: fix a couple of errors (probably didn't assemble in 2104)
Old July 11, 2019, 09:43   #20
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Forrest, thanks for the range report. Not bad at all for the price paid in my opinion.

There seems to have been at least two different batches of ammo sold as my 150 box description reads;

223REM 55GR
Hollow Point Match
FR142 / MV 3240 fps

Cartridge is headstamped;
Frontier
.223 Rem

I haven't shot any of this ammo yet. Interested to see if it fits the Rem 700.
Old July 11, 2019, 12:04   #21
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
Forrest, thanks for the range report. Not bad at all for the price paid in my opinion.

There seems to have been at least two different batches of ammo sold as my 150 box description reads;

223REM 55GR
Hollow Point Match
FR142 / MV 3240 fps

Cartridge is headstamped;
Frontier
.223 Rem

I haven't shot any of this ammo yet. Interested to see if it fits the Rem 700.
Very interesting...

I knew that there are a number of varieties and packaging differences for this ammo, since several different item numbers (FR) are listed on the Frontier ammo website. I also checked some youtube reports before buying (and it was clear that some different items were being discussed).

Packaging differences (20rd, 150rd, etc.) also result in different FR numbers.

It is clear that three different loads were being discussed, the two mentioned here, one marked .223 Rem. and the other marked 5.56mm with the same 55gr HP MATCH bullet, and a third load with a 55gr HPBT MATCH bullet. Without pulling a round down, I was pretty sure that the 55gr HP Match bullet in the stuff I have is a FB bullet, not a BT. I assume this because I'm pretty sure that it would be listed as a BT if it was, and also because the bullet is seated deeper in the case than I would expect a BT bullet of the same weight to be seated. As I mentioned, the bullet in the case looks more like .223 Rem. produced ammunition, with the bullet ogive seated deeper for the reduced leade in the .223 chamber compared to 5.56mm chambers.

The cartridge headstamp on the stuff I got was

FRONTIER
5.56mm
crimped brass colored primer

The lot number on all the stuff I got was SMQ18C842-02

For what it's worth...

Forrest

Last edited by ftierson; July 11, 2019 at 17:00. Reason: Spell 'chamber' right...
Old July 11, 2019, 15:22   #22
Bawana jim
Registered

I sent graft a short note of complaint about the ammo not looking new.
Old July 11, 2019, 16:50   #23
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
I sent graft a short note of complaint about the ammo not looking new.
A picture here would be quite helpful...

Forrest
Old July 11, 2019, 16:52   #24
ftierson
Registered

By the way, just out of curiosity, was yours the .223 Rem. marked stuff or the 5.56mm marked stuff...?

Forrest
Old July 11, 2019, 17:09   #25
Bawana jim
Registered

Mine was in 150 rounds to a box

American made military grade

Frontier Cartridge

223 Remington 55 gr hollow point match

Loaded with Hornady bullets

Item number fr142

MV 3240

I only opened two boxes and both about the same, brass does not look like polished new on most of it. It's marked 223
Old July 11, 2019, 20:37   #26
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Mine was in 150 rounds to a box

American made military grade

Frontier Cartridge

223 Remington 55 gr hollow point match

Loaded with Hornady bullets

Item number fr142

MV 3240

I only opened two boxes and both about the same, brass does not look like polished new on most of it. It's marked 223
Military brass doesn't look like 'polished new.' That's why a photo would be helpful for everyone in assessing its condition...

Forrest
Old July 12, 2019, 08:09   #27
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
Military brass doesn't look like 'polished new.' That's why a photo would be helpful for everyone in assessing its condition...

Forrest
I can't do the photo but my best words are it looks like finger prints that rusted.
Old July 12, 2019, 08:49   #28
Tak
Registered

My shipment should be here tomorrow I'll try to get some pics for ya
Old July 12, 2019, 18:46   #29
David N.
Registered

FALaholic #: 12778
Grafs had four different Hornady/Frontier items on clearance, all 150 round boxes:

.223 55gr HP Match
.223 55gr FMJ
5.56 55gr HP Match
5.56 55gr FMJ

On Hornady's website, each of the HP listings (I don't remember about the FMJ) showed a MV of 3240 fps. However, the .223 was specified for a 20" barrel, while the 5.56 was out of a 16" barrel.

I ordered some of the 5.56 HP Match (thanks for the heads up brunop) which arrived last Friday. I've only opened one box, and the brass is fairly dark (definitely not polished), but no darker than a lot of surplus 7.62x51 I've seen. The brass I've looked at does not concern me at all.
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2019, 12:25   #30
Tak
Registered

I ordered the .223 55gr HP Match Frontier and here's what I got:

https://imgur.com/E6H41wX
https://imgur.com/VIY1aiq
https://imgur.com/7mjQOfC

The cases aren't pretty but it's not a beauty contest and I'm not reloading it, so looks good to go for me.

I ordered 600 rounds, be aware it comes in a 4 x 150 in one long box that says Frontier Cartridges and Military Grade on the outside, if you're worried about secrecy this doesn't fit the bill.