Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old September 01, 2019, 12:14   #1
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Colt MADE IN CANADA LE6520

I am always been a sucker for Colt 6520 pencil barrel carbines. The AWB era restricted carbines are cool because of the marked lowers, but they can be somewhat of a mixed bag in regard to what features they will have (some have pinned sear blocks, half moon bolt carriers, upper receivers may have funky anodization, crude M4 feed ramp modifications ect).

I observed Colt LE 6920 rifles (16" M4 barrel w/ flat top receiver) in the US wild, that were manufactured by Colt Canada/Diemaco. While researching these rifles, I learned there was a small number of LE6520's imported from Canada during the AWB for to fill gaps in LEO contracts. Since then, I have been on the hunt....

I finally scored a reasonably priced example in nice condition! I posted a few quick pix, I just brought it home (needs to be cleaned, par the course).

I am very pleased with this example! I was also thrilled to find that it didn't have a half moon carrier, and as far as I can tell, it is original.

I found it interesting that the barrel was not dated, which was par the course with Colt barrels from the era, regardless of who subcontracted them. Colt Canada (Diemaco) produced barrels are hammer forged and highly regarded.

I thought the Colt guys would get a kick out of this.

Old September 01, 2019, 18:01   #2
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
Noice!
Old September 01, 2019, 18:09   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
That would be my new truck gun.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 01, 2019, 19:09   #4
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
That would be my new truck gun.
You could build a comparable rifle for around $600 using mostly new parts. I just helped a co-worker roll one together a few weeks ago. Used a Ballistic Advantage 14.7" barrel with FSB/barrel nut installed ($200!) and pinned the flash hider at exactly 16". Stripped Aero Precision lower w/ US flag, PSA Premium classic lower parts set (comes with furniture and receiver extension/buffer set) and BCG, used an A2 upper receiver that I had laying around... turned out to be an awesome little truck gun, and the accuracy of the Ballistic Advantage barrel was impressive for the $$$.

If you order build parts from PSA, buy the "premium" parts, they are significantly better quality. If you already have a barrel extension, buffer ect., CMMG lower parts sets are hard to beat for the $$$. I like BCM lower build parts as well, though they are a little more expensive.
Old September 01, 2019, 19:17   #5
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
You could build a comparable rifle for around $600 using mostly new parts. I just helped a co-worker roll one together a few weeks ago. Used a Ballistic Advantage 14.7" barrel with FSB/barrel nut installed ($200!) and pinned the flash hider at exactly 16". Stripped Aero Precision lower w/ US flag, PSA Premium classic lower parts set (comes with furniture and receiver extension/buffer set) and BCG, used an A2 upper receiver that I had laying around... turned out to be an awesome little truck gun, and the accuracy of the Ballistic Advantage barrel was impressive for the $$$.

If you order build parts from PSA, buy the "premium" parts, they are significantly better quality. If you already have a barrel extension, buffer ect., CMMG lower parts sets are hard to beat for the $$$. I like BCM lower build parts as well, though they are a little more expensive.

I don't want a clone. A2 to me is a truck gun. It would be nice to have a real Colt

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 03, 2019, 12:14   #6
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
I don't want a clone. A2 to me is a truck gun. It would be nice to have a real Colt
If you want to pay for the name, go for it.

Nice rifle, lockjaw.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 03, 2019, 20:30   #7
Airforce1
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 73010
Nice piece "Made in Canada".
Old September 04, 2019, 12:40   #8
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 536
Very nice, I had 1 years ago that I paid $700 for, I sold it for a small profit.
My buddy bought 2 of them from the same shop, he calls them the twins. He's currently trying to buy a house & I'm trying to convince him to sell the twins to help him out a bit. What are these worth in todays market?

Anonymous
The FAL is not a "platform".
It is a lady-lookin' foreign made collection of sexy Belgian curves that intimidates the shit out of today's Pajama-boy males.

It's not an Assault Rifle, it a Sport Utility Rifle
Near Sighted Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 04, 2019, 18:10   #9
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near Sighted Sniper View Post
Very nice, I had 1 years ago that I paid $700 for, I sold it for a small profit.
My buddy bought 2 of them from the same shop, he calls them the twins. He's currently trying to buy a house & I'm trying to convince him to sell the twins to help him out a bit. What are these worth in todays market?
A really nice non-Canuck LE6520 (Not to confused with pre-AWB) example will sell for between $900 and $1200, depending on vintage (earlier examples had N1 stock, 2 position extensions ect., which adds value). NIB $1500+. Canuck rifles advertised as such typically fetch a premium. I imagine that one could fly under the radar, but I wasn’t lu my enough to land one... and I tried. I passed on decent examples that went north of $1500, but that was on Gunbroker... take that with a grain of salt. I paid $1150 for mine, and I am content. Yeah, crazy in the eyes of some folks, but I am pleased considering the condition of this example.
Old September 04, 2019, 21:00   #10
AliYahu
Registered

FALaholic #: 11084
Nice! And I'm not a Colt guy, I just like the 'proper' AR-15 Carbines.

Eli
AliYahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 04, 2019, 22:25   #11
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 05, 2019, 08:27   #12
mrbieler
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 29047
very nice carbine

The reason we're all here is that we're not all there.
mrbieler is offline   Reply With Quote