Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Glock Files

Notices

Old November 10, 2019, 08:09   #1
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Gen1 19

Anybody on here happen to own a real Gen1 19? They mfgd between 100-200 of them between Sept-Dec 1988 until the Gen2 was introduced in January 89. Last one I saw at auction went for north of $6k. Most folks think they have one but end up having a Gen2. Thought Id ask the Files crew...

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop! -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2019, 00:34   #2
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Saw one for $5k.
Did a double take to see why.
Old November 11, 2019, 09:10   #3
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Nope, mine is just a $300 Gen 2. I am packing its $300 Gen 2 G23 brother as we speak (well, type).

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2019, 05:56   #4
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26251
I missed a Gen 1 G19 by minutes while researching it online before I would commit to the $699 sellers price. By the time I had called back it was gone so I settled for a (April 1988) Gen1 G17 long slide instead. They had two of those and I got the last one for slightly less money. All three Glocks were in unused condition with papers and boxes.

That was my biggest missed deal next to a highly collectible unmolested original Martini Henry Mark 1 I missed a few years earlier for $500 cash. Sometimes you just miss the deals.

Best Drop 8 time, 9.41, 8 for 8
6.5 Grendel AR15
parallaxbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2020, 20:42   #5
kaipo_boy
Registered

FALaholic #: 73676
g19

Saw this thread and had no idea that gen1 was going for so much... pulled out my G19 which I know is a very early model and emailed glock to ask them date of manufacture... they say May 1989
So, looks like I bought mine 5 months too late to get a gen 1. Damn.
kaipo_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2020, 19:42   #6
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaipo_boy View Post
Saw this thread and had no idea that gen1 was going for so much... pulled out my G19 which I know is a very early model and emailed glock to ask them date of manufacture... they say May 1989
So, looks like I bought mine 5 months too late to get a gen 1. Damn.
Yeah- yours is EARLY Gen2.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop! -C. Montgomery Burns
Old January 10, 2020, 21:04   #7
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
I had a Gen 1 17 (pre them having the serial number on the frame at all)... shot the bejesus out of it....it landed in my hands new @1988 and I only parted with it in 2002.
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020, 08:56   #8
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I have several Gen 1 17s with 2 letter prefix - one on my desk now, but the 19 never appealed to me. Now I have a couple 19s for other shooters in the tribe.
Old January 11, 2020, 17:23   #9
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Ive never had a Gen 1 Glock. I see people all the time stating they have a Gen 1 G23 or G21 etc and have to laugh at them.

The easiest way to tell if it is a Gen 1 is to look at the trigger area of the frame, if there are two pins its a Gen 2 and if its got one pin its a Gen 1.

I never thought a Gen 1 would demand that kind of money... wish I would have picked one up back in the late 90s when the Gen 3s came out. A local gun shop had a couple that were about $350 IIRC. I dont think anyone at that time thought they were worth much.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020, 18:32   #10
pete47
Registered

FALaholic #: 41
Never thought the Gen 1 glocks would demand such a price.
I have an old model 17 and will have to check it, not sure if its a gen 1 or gen 2.
Its probably the nicest shooting glock I have, just because its so old all the parts are worn in.
Old January 12, 2020, 05:11   #11
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete47 View Post
Never thought the Gen 1 glocks would demand such a price.
I have an old model 17 and will have to check it, not sure if its a gen 1 or gen 2.
Its probably the nicest shooting glock I have, just because its so old all the parts are worn in.
Gen 1 guns have a fine pebble type grip that wraps around and it has kind of a recessed mag well. And slightly different magazine floor plates to closely fit the recessed mag well. The later combination looks far better than the later generations IMHO. It may have been a cost cutting thing, I do not know.

Gen 2 guns have a checkered pattern on the front and rear of the grip.

6.5 Grendel AR15
Old January 13, 2020, 13:21   #12
pmf
Registered

FALaholic #: 2923
I've got a Gen 1 Glock 21 I inherited from my father. Is it really worth anything? I remember when he got it. Glocks were all the outrage. A pistol made of plastic. People will be sneaking these things past security check points!
pmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2020, 16:34   #13
kaipo_boy
Registered

FALaholic #: 73676
My early gen 2 G19 (may '88) has only 1 pin above the trigger housing area... haven't seen the pebbled grip in a long time, its under a hogue (?) wrap around grip I stuck onto it long ago...
kaipo_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2020, 23:59   #14
grumpy1
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmf View Post
I've got a Gen 1 Glock 21 I inherited from my father. Is it really worth anything? I remember when he got it. Glocks were all the outrage. A pistol made of plastic. People will be sneaking these things past security check points!
Well, if it were a true Gen 1 G21 that you be worth some amazing amount of money. However there are no Gen 1 G21, it would be a Gen 2. Gen 1are all 9mm either G17s or G 19s.

I do remember the American Rifleman magazine that had an article about the Glock pistol which had a picture of an airport x-ray machine image of the loaded pistol. I think they are more the rage now than they were 30 years ago, just look at all the options there are and not just what Glock offers but what is available in aftermarket options. You can build yourself a Glock that really doesnt even have any Glock parts in it.
Old January 15, 2020, 06:05   #15
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

A there may be as few as 3 dozen Gen 1 19's. Just for reference.

6.5 Grendel AR15
Old January 25, 2020, 18:34   #16
FrankLloydWright
Registered

FALaholic #: 83652
Ahh yes the Gen 1 19. Famous for the AD that resulted in the 5 part trigger upgrade. Detective chambered a round before he left for work...bang. Went to the station house and handed it to the armorer who duplicated the problem.

I owned the "slick grip" Gen 1 17 with trigger upgrade (bought used) for about a week and gave it back when the trigger wouldn't reset.

Owned a Gen 2 which I gave to my son-in-law. His wife carries it when she remembers (duh).

Happy with a pair of Gen 3s--one for the wife.

Frank
Old January 26, 2020, 00:05   #17
grumpy1
Registered

Just want to make a correction. I recently saw a G19 with a single pin that wasnt a Gen 1. I guess what I remember everything exactly from the Glock Armors course.
Old January 26, 2020, 07:24   #18
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLloydWright View Post
Ahh yes the Gen 1 19. Famous for the AD that resulted in the 5 part trigger upgrade. Detective chambered a round before he left for work...bang. Went to the station house and handed it to the armorer who duplicated the problem.
Please give name and date, and how this gun magically fired.. Because I've offered lots of mony to anyone who could make a stock glock fire without pulling the trigger and nobody has been able to. . . . EVER.
Old January 26, 2020, 09:47   #19
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Please give name and date, and how this gun magically fired.. Because I've offered lots of mony to anyone who could make a stock glock fire without pulling the trigger and nobody has been able to. . . . EVER.
+1. Id like more details on this alleged event myself as...it seems highly unlikely.