The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old July 20, 2019, 11:03   #1
Orion the Hunter
Registered

FALaholic #: 62009
Helpful HG Repair Tip!

Hey I recently made a deal with a Fellow-Faler over a Left Handside Gray FN Handguard. Problem was, the “Threaded Anchor Nut Ferrule” portion was 3/4 ripped (yup, outside torn metal around the Nut). It appeared that someone along its life history had installed it by Cranking down on the Anchor Screw, which in turn ripped (tore) out a large portion of the anchor nut ferrule.

Now, obviously what came to mind was to have a welder make an attempt at TIG Welding or Possible Oxy/Acetylene Torch Weld. Perhaps a Braze?

After taking to a Local Welder, he said that any attempts he made on it would most likely result in heat transfer that would melt the edge of the Gray Fiberglass Handguards. He declined on taking the chance, however; he recommended that I try taking it to our local Jeweler.

I decided to give the Jeweler idea a try and...The Jeweler mentioned the same thing (any use of a torch would most likely end with melted HGs)

HOWEVER...

He said he could try using something he called an “Insta-Arc” Machine (or something like that).

End result? ABSOLUTELY FREAKING AWESOME! He welded it on the Inside and it didn’t event melt the paint on the outside of the “Metal Nose”! It is also welded perfectly and looks professional!!!! Cost? $25 (more than happy to pay that!!!)

Anyway, the Tip is this: If you have a Broken FAL part that needs repaired, and it is too small or thin for conventional Brazing or Welding....you might want to take it to your local Jewelry Store and mention the “Insta-Arc” method?

Orion the Hunter
Orion the Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019, 13:47   #2
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Interesting,thanks for sharing!
Old July 20, 2019, 14:02   #3
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Great!

Can you post pictures please.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019, 14:57   #4
Southern 7.62
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79321
I would like to see this as well, and if it would work for para top cover guide rod assembly welds.
Southern 7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019, 16:56   #5
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I'd like to see it too - I repaired my last 20 sets of NBC handguards - I'd been putting it off. Threaded inserts or the housings for them needed replacing. I just silver solder and refinish Fiberglass is fine, but I'm using a #0 torch tip and keeping it small.
Old July 20, 2019, 19:31   #6
Orion the Hunter
Registered

Called the Jeweler...

I called the Jeweler to thank him for doing an excellent job on my HG. I quizzed him a little more on what he used to fix it and he said that he used a device known as a "Pulse Arc". I am not sure exactly what that is, but he described it as a device that is used to weld small-thin metal without causing excess amount of heat.

Here is some pictures of the final repair (unfortunately, I didn't snap any of it broken...but you can see the fracture line).

First Up: Here is the outside of the HG. It was painted black when I received it, and he didn't repainted over after the outside when the job was completed.

As you can see, the crack (breakage) runs around half of the Anchor Nut. It was actually bent out some...so I could see light through the breakage. It was fractured over 1/2 way around. Tough to see, but the breakage actually followed in the "valley area" of the Anchor Nut part way.

Here is his weld job on the inside (it looks like he applied a small amount of black paint on the inside weld job):

And another view:

Close-Up of the Weld:

For a, "Alaskan Torture Test" I installed the set of HGs on another of my FALs and threaded it up to the normal sound tightness. It cinched up without fault!

Back in business!
Old July 20, 2019, 19:47   #7
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
It works,,,looks like it will hold just fine too!!!!!

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019, 20:26   #8
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
Really cool ! I watched a couple of videos on it and it's just a fine TIG process that I do for aligning parts before final weld.
Old July 21, 2019, 07:32   #9
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Crusher View Post
Really cool ! I watched a couple of videos on it and it's just a fine TIG process that I do for aligning parts before final weld.
Was going to say that it sounds like a micro TIG set to pulse mode.

https://sunstonewelders.com/micro-we...iAAEgKp1PD_BwE
Old July 21, 2019, 15:23   #10
Orion the Hunter
Registered

If I am not mistaken...

That particular "Pulse Arc" machine in the post above is called a...

...wait for it....

Orion! LOL!

I am curious on what those buggers cost? Notice how it isn't immediatly stated on the advertisement...you have to "Call for a Quote"...(not a good sign)

Anyhow, what I can say, is that it sure fixed my FN HG above and beyond my expectations!