Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old August 09, 2019, 07:34   #1
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Verified Quotes

I will start this thread with a few quotes that are interesting but also verifiable (in case someone wants to tell you it is a lie), as in with source.

Quote:
I consider (a professional liberal) the lowest form of politician
Verbatim:
"Hopkins was noted [as] an advanced 'Liberal' but not a professional one (I consider the latest the lowest form of politician)"
Harry S. Truman. Personal Diary 22 May 1945
Also on "Off the Record: The Private Papers of Harry S. Truman", p.35

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
(James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)

Quote:
There is a culture of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it’s way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.
Newsweek: “A Cult of Ignorance” by Isaac Asimov, January 21, 1980, p. 19.
https://media.aphelis.net/wp-content..._Ignorance.pdf

Quote:
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, The Dawn, 1881, Sec. 297

Last edited by raubvogel; August 09, 2019 at 13:07.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 09, 2019, 08:02   #2
jeffrey
Registered

FALaholic #: 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
I will start this thread with a few quotes that are interesting but also verifiable (in case someone wants to tell you it is a lie), as in with source.

Quote:
I consider (a professional liberal) the lowest form of politician

Verbatim:
"Hopkins was noted [as] and advanced 'Liberal' but not a professional one (I consider the latest the lowest form of politician)"
Harry S. Truman. Personal Diary 22 May 1945
Also on "Off the Record: The Private Papers of Harry S. Truman", p.35

I suspect your auto-fill/auto-correct is responsible for two typos in the first quote. It should be "an", not "and", and it should be "latter", not "latest".

Nitpicky on my part maybe, but you really ought to proof read your stuff especially when quoting others.

More importantly, you misinterpreted that quote. He despised the professional politician, not the liberal politician. Even as recently as the '40s, "liberal" did not mean what you think it means now.
jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 09, 2019, 13:04   #3
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
I suspect your auto-fill/auto-correct is responsible for two typos in the first quote. It should be "an", not "and", and it should be "latter", not "latest".

Nitpicky on my part maybe, but you really ought to proof read your stuff especially when quoting others.

More importantly, you misinterpreted that quote. He despised the professional politician, not the liberal politician. Even as recently as the '40s, "liberal" did not mean what you think it means now.
The typos were caused by me; I have no typing skills whatsoever and could not cut-n-paste off the book.

About the interpretation, I believe the parallelism he was drawing is advanced liberal politician vs professional liberal politician (see https://books.google.com/books?id=DVVffTwVVy4C&dq="lowest+form+of+politician"&q=lowest+form+of+politician#v=snippet&q=lowest form of politician&f=false). And, I do agree "liberal" and other terms have changed their meanings a lot throughout the years.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote