Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The HK Files

Notices

Old October 16, 2019, 05:47   #1
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
HK 41 metal forearms?

Does anyone know of any 1966 HK 41s came in with the metal forearms with built-in bipods? Iíve seen them on a few 1962 G3s but have only encountered wood or synthetic on 1966 guns.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!Ē -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2019, 09:30   #2
AGG
Registered

FALaholic #: 27127
Not me --- I do not believe they were even an optional accessory for the HK41--- however, if it is an "early" metal bipod, it would be worth having!!!

Tony
AGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2019, 23:56   #3
21HK
Registered

FALaholic #: 52556
Synthetic furniture was introduced for the G3 in Ď64.

My opinion regarding the metal hand guard that was offered with the Ď62 imports was that they were left over HK bits that were of no use to the the German Army because the G3ís were already fitted with the wood hand guards by then.

Considering how scarce the early metal hand guards and bipods are it would seem they didnít manufacture a lot of them and the ones that were produced were probably scrapped when they retrofitted them with wood.

After handling both CETME and HK hand guards Iím surprised any survived while in service use. The metal is very thin gauge and is easily dented over time by the bipod feet if the legs are left to slap to the closed position.
The G1 and StG hand guards are heavier gauge and have a ribbed design to strengthen them but were still prone to getting dinged and bent.

...moving ahead to 1966, to the best of my knowledge they were all fitted with black plastic furniture.
21HK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2019, 05:28   #4
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Thanks guys, Iíve always thought they looked slick. Iíve handled a 11/62 dated G3 that had one and always thought it would be cool on my 41 but between scarcity and the likely cost, Iíll stick with my synthetic forearm.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!Ē -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2019, 09:55   #5
21HK
Registered

FALaholic #: 52556
If itís any consolation Iíd much rather see a 41 with a metal hand guard than a Ď62 G3 in plastic, thatís just wrong on so many levels.

The metal hand guard from your question as to if they were shipped with them vs. putting one on is no different than someone outfitting an HK91 with wood, the 91ís never shipped with wood but they do look purty.

As you mentioned, the rarity and cost factor in. I guess if there was a surplus of metal hand guards and bipods at a reasonable cost everyone would be doing it and probably wouldnít give it a second thought.

Having an early 41 such as your Ď66, Iíd leave as is.
21HK is offline   Reply With Quote