The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Glock Files

Notices

Old March 13, 2020, 10:24   #1
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Advantage Arms LE 19-23 Conversion

Bid and won one of these off gonebroker a couple of weeks back. I think it was NOS or something the guy bought and never shot as it was NIB with 4 extra NIW magazines for a total of 5. It is billed as “not for Gen 4” which is OK as I have three Gen 2 & 3 Glock 19s and 23s to use it on. I lubed it up per the provided instructions, with the provided oil and plopped it down on a Gen 2 G19 frame.

I want to ease my daughter into centerfire handgun and figure the G19 will become her piece at some point. The AA conversion should be the ticket to get her started down the dark and ugly road of Glock shooting.

I loaded up 10 rounds of CCI Mini mag (one of the recommended rounds) and headed outside. First round stovepiped trying to load it. The next nine worked fine, no drama. Took it to the range this morning and fired off 20 (two mags) of the Mini Mags without a hitch. Next I loaded a mag with Federal Auto Match and it fed and functioned those 100%. As did a mag of CCI Blazer, a round not recommended but still it worked fine. I then fired three more magazines of the Mini Mags and function was the same boring 100%

All the rounds were low, but OK for windage. I did not have a small enough screwdriver with me to adjust the sights but will address that soon. I don’t know if the unplated bullets will cause issues over time or during a match but I have plenty of the Mini mags for that, and break-in. If it will work with the cheap stuff for plinking, so much the better.

To sum, although I have just put eight magazines (80 rounds) through it so far I think I have a winner. Surfing the net investigating these things gives one pause with the issues being reported. Even those seem to be helped with a “fluff and buff” as the KelTec boys would call it. I got lucky on this one coming with the extra magazines and am into it for a grand total of $229, delivered. Much cheaper than buying a Glock 44 and adding mags for sure. And I don’t see how the Glock would work any better, so far.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2020, 14:52   #2
toys
Registered

FALaholic #: 64100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Bid and won one of these off gonebroker a couple of weeks back. I think it was NOS or something the guy bought and never shot as it was NIB with 4 extra NIW magazines for a total of 5. It is billed as “not for Gen 4” which is OK as I have three Gen 2 & 3 Glock 19s and 23s to use it on. I lubed it up per the provided instructions, with the provided oil and plopped it down on a Gen 2 G19 frame.

I want to ease my daughter into centerfire handgun and figure the G19 will become her piece at some point. The AA conversion should be the ticket to get her started down the dark and ugly road of Glock shooting.

I loaded up 10 rounds of CCI Mini mag (one of the recommended rounds) and headed outside. First round stovepiped trying to load it. The next nine worked fine, no drama. Took it to the range this morning and fired off 20 (two mags) of the Mini Mags without a hitch. Next I loaded a mag with Federal Auto Match and it fed and functioned those 100%. As did a mag of CCI Blazer, a round not recommended but still it worked fine. I then fired three more magazines of the Mini Mags and function was the same boring 100%

All the rounds were low, but OK for windage. I did not have a small enough screwdriver with me to adjust the sights but will address that soon. I don’t know if the unplated bullets will cause issues over time or during a match but I have plenty of the Mini mags for that, and break-in. If it will work with the cheap stuff for plinking, so much the better.

To sum, although I have just put eight magazines (80 rounds) through it so far I think I have a winner. Surfing the net investigating these things gives one pause with the issues being reported. Even those seem to be helped with a “fluff and buff” as the KelTec boys would call it. I got lucky on this one coming with the extra magazines and am into it for a grand total of $229, delivered. Much cheaper than buying a Glock 44 and adding mags for sure. And I don’t see how the Glock would work any better, so far.
great write up.

but so you know, RFs can be a funny critter. I started out on 22LR and collect them. I also have CFs too, but 22LRs taught me alot. So for someone that hasnt been around them may have the same expectations as a CF. And thats up to you and them..

I find that conversions are cool and unique and for what they were designed to do. If they work 100% thats a different story and i know some live by the creed, if its not 100% its not in my safe. But again, thats up to them and you.

i also find that when 22LR are cheap and is #1 reason i got into them. But when CFs get expensive to feed, its when people will go out and buy a 22LR or a conversion.
toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2020, 00:22   #3
mrbshooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 77011
I just bought an Advantage Arms 17/22 for my new to me (LE Trade) Glock 35. Tons of FTE and stovepipes in about 50 rounds of Federal 22 LR (on the list of unapproved rounds). It improved after I added lubrication, and I got thru a couple mags clean towards the end of my range session.

So I read up on reliability mods, polished the feed ramp and sliding surfaces, and ordered some Remington Golden Bullets.

I am hoping that the recommended rounds and polish improves reliability, so I can get thru the break in period. My 11 year old loved the Glock with the 9mm conversion barrel, and the 13 year old wants to try it.

I really want it to work, as it will reduce costs for when the boys want some trigger time.

Last edited by mrbshooter; March 20, 2020 at 00:39. Reason: Typos
mrbshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2020, 10:04   #4
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
I have AA kits for 19 and 26 sized guns, and have owned a couple others.

Big fan. So much so that the G44 holds no interest to me. (I can still use the receivers for centerfire too!)

Everyone else with one exception I know loves them. (He is reading this and bought a G44)
Old March 25, 2020, 11:49   #5
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Everyone else with one exception I know loves them. (He is reading this and bought a G44)
Did you have the decency to point at him and laugh?
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2020, 23:44   #6
jjjxlr8
Registered

FALaholic #: 34903
I've had one of these Advantage Arms kits for my G23 that I've been using since 2008. Runs great with the Remington Golden Bullets!
jjjxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2020, 11:01   #7
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 65818
Just an FYI, I’ve had half a dozen or so misfires with rem golden bullets over the last few years. Kinda goes bang and blows more gas out on your hands and face and leaves the bullet stuck half way down the barrel. It happened enough that after the second I started taking the dowel rod and hammer to the range with me, Until we were through what I had on hand. Having it happen to my kids worried me, but it taught them to alway pay attention.

“If we do a good job on vaccines, health and reproduction, we can reduce the world population by 10-15%. Only a genocide can save the world”.
Bill Gates 2018

"GOVERNMENTS NEVER DISARM THEIR ALLIES.
THEY ONLY DISARM THEIR ENEMIES."

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

You can tell it's real because it looks so fake.
Elon Musk February 7, 2018
badzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2020, 08:58   #8
jjjxlr8
Registered

FALaholic #: 34903
Thanks for the heads up. Maybe they've lowered the QC on the Golden bullets? All of mine is pre 2008 panic and have never had any issues in any of my .22s. I'm getting low on it, now, though, so it is reserved for the AA conversion. My other .22s aren't as picky.
jjjxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote