The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old November 15, 2019, 12:29   #1
STGguy
Registered

FALaholic #: 81733
James River Galil's?? Any good?

I've always liked Galil's and saw this at Classic. Any thoughts on the quality of these? These are about the same price I can have my gunsmith build me one but he likes the CNC Warrier Forged receivers best. I wasn't quite sure on where to post this, but this seemed to be the appropriate place on our site here.

What does the collective team here think of these, the receiver and barrels they're using by Bula Defense, etc? Thoughts?

https://www.classicfirearms.com/long...Gallant+Rifles
STGguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2019, 12:46   #2
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
Tortort makes the best aftermarket Galil receiver (better than CNC), and at this price, they are not Tortort. There have been some suspect receivers that have popped up, poorly reviewed, and then disappeared. JRA usually builds a good product—whether this rifle will be durable has test to be determined. The price is certainly a plus.

Also, I don’t see how this is FN related. Probably would be better posted in General Firearm section.
mp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2019, 13:03   #3
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

Anyone find good barrels? A 1-7 twist, hammer forged, and chromelined, like the originals would be the BOMB!!

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2019, 21:31   #4
spider991
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 35820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post
Well,

Anyone find good barrels? A 1-7 twist, hammer forged, and chromelined, like the originals would be the BOMB!!

Thorack
unfortunately these are listed 1/9.....kinda a bummer, might get a nice kit and a torttort. wasnt apex or someone offering kits with a 1/7 barrel?
spider991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2019, 21:55   #5
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Those kits appear to be beat down. Pretty tore up. Maybe worth refinishing.
Old November 16, 2019, 20:23   #6
AliYahu
Registered

FALaholic #: 11084
I'm thinking these receivers are ORF tooling... are the markings correct or reversed? I recall the ORF ones were reversed, they used an early print and there was a revision and refit of all rifles...

Eli
AliYahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2019, 16:09   #7
darkest2000
Registered

FALaholic #: 13475
The receiver lightening cuts on these don't look right, I'm not too sure about the marking. I'd go with the Tortort receiver and get the lightening cut option from Jeff Miller if you want something that looks more correct.
darkest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 10:31   #8
STGguy
Registered

Gallant?

So, sounds like the verdict is still out on these. Anyone actually have one and shoot it at all? Like a few hundred rounds?

I agree about the barrels- wish they were 1:7 twist and I'd really like the SAR version preferably with the IMI barrel but those seem kind of hard to get.

Wonder why they are just sticking with 18" and 1:9 other than that's the orig twist/ length?
Old November 21, 2019, 17:24   #9
ServiceRifle
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 23959
Just got one. Just took it out of the box. I have not yet fired it

First impression is that it is better than the Galeo that I bought - that I had to tinker with to get it to work.

Surplus IMI 35rd steel mags insert just fine and lock up properly, The mag is high in the receiver and parallel to the receiver rails. Dummy rounds strip and chamber just fine. No overriding rounds and the rear of the mag as in the Galeo

The only issues out of the box were easily fixed. The round knob on the charging handle was sort of squished (almost square) - it hammered out to round very easily. The finish on the rifle was very good - except for the bipod - which was well worn. I replace it with a new condition bipod I bought on the internet a couple of months ago. The one that came with the rifle could be degreased and overpainted very easily (I will do that eventually) - because otherwise it was in good working condition.

The wood handguards were in VG condition - but I took them off to refinish them. The right side was a nice blond color. The left side was a dark oil soaked color. I guess the Israelis only worried about the rifles going bang. I replaced the handguard with a nice synthetic handguard that I obtained from www.e-gunparts.com - and which I notched for a carry handle (bought the retainer and carry handle from a guy on AK Files who makes them.

Subject to the firing test (when I get around to it in the next couple of weeks), my first impressions of the JRA rifle are positive. The receiver is supposedly forged (according to Classic) and it looks to be well made. It is certainly better than the ATI receiver on the Galeo in that the mag inserts and locks up properly and it will strip, chamber and cycle dummy rounds with IMI 35 round surplus mags - something that took me about a week to achieve with the Galeo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6831A.jpg (214.7 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by ServiceRifle; November 21, 2019 at 17:48.
ServiceRifle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2019, 18:48   #10
AliYahu
Registered

They're out of stock on alost every model. These would be a lot better with chrome or nitride barrels!

Eli
Old November 21, 2019, 19:09   #11
ServiceRifle
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 23959
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliYahu View Post
They're out of stock on alost every model. These would be a lot better with chrome or nitride barrels!

Eli
I don't expect to ever wear mine out. Considering the age in which we live the price is reasonable. A receiver (without the lightening cuts) will cost you $450. The parts kit in good condition will cost you $350. A new barrel will cost you $100. A 35rd surplus mag will cost you $15. A bipod will cost you $55. You will probably want to assemble it or have it assembled and refinished.

I'm in for my Gallant for less than the sum of all the above costs
ServiceRifle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2019, 12:09   #12
STGguy
Registered

excellent input

[Excellent Input here! Looking forward to a range report!

QUOTE=ServiceRifle;4809841]Just got one. Just took it out of the box. I have not yet fired it

First impression is that it is better than the Galeo that I bought - that I had to tinker with to get it to work.

Surplus IMI 35rd steel mags insert just fine and lock up properly, The mag is high in the receiver and parallel to the receiver rails. Dummy rounds strip and chamber just fine. No overriding rounds and the rear of the mag as in the Galeo

The only issues out of the box were easily fixed. The round knob on the charging handle was sort of squished (almost square) - it hammered out to round very easily. The finish on the rifle was very good - except for the bipod - which was well worn. I replace it with a new condition bipod I bought on the internet a couple of months ago. The one that came with the rifle could be degreased and overpainted very easily (I will do that eventually) - because otherwise it was in good working condition.

The wood handguards were in VG condition - but I took them off to refinish them. The right side was a nice blond color. The left side was a dark oil soaked color. I guess the Israelis only worried about the rifles going bang. I replaced the handguard with a nice synthetic handguard that I obtained from www.e-gunparts.com - and which I notched for a carry handle (bought the retainer and carry handle from a guy on AK Files who makes them.

Subject to the firing test (when I get around to it in the next couple of weeks), my first impressions of the JRA rifle are positive. The receiver is supposedly forged (according to Classic) and it looks to be well made. It is certainly better than the ATI receiver on the Galeo in that the mag inserts and locks up properly and it will strip, chamber and cycle dummy rounds with IMI 35 round surplus mags - something that took me about a week to achieve with the Galeo.[/QUOTE]
Old November 25, 2019, 05:12   #13
swedishmauser
Registered

FALaholic #: 76539
There is a lengthy thread on The AK Files titled “New classic firearms JRA Galant galils” about these rifles.
swedishmauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2019, 08:16   #14
AliYahu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishmauser View Post
There is a lengthy thread on The AK Files titled “New classic firearms JRA Galant galils” about these rifles.
This one? https://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395900

Eli
Old November 25, 2019, 12:14   #15
swedishmauser
Registered

FALaholic #: 76539
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliYahu View Post
Yes.
swedishmauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2019, 11:47   #16
STGguy
Registered

Thank you for this link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishmauser View Post
Thank you for this link Sir!
Old December 05, 2019, 00:26   #17
hansellhd
Registered

FALaholic #: 31152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceRifle View Post
I don't expect to ever wear mine out. Considering the age in which we live the price is reasonable. A receiver (without the lightening cuts) will cost you $450. The parts kit in good condition will cost you $350. A new barrel will cost you $100. A 35rd surplus mag will cost you $15. A bipod will cost you $55. You will probably want to assemble it or have it assembled and refinished.

I'm in for my Gallant for less than the sum of all the above costs

Damn Straight, runs like a champ.