Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old October 11, 2019, 23:21   #1
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Another blasty little carbine

Had some free time and wrapped this up this evening.

Many of the parts were purchased secondhand. 16" Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel bought during their last Black Friday sale (yeah... sat on thsi thing that long!). Relatively inexpensive build.

Colt BCG, Spikes upper and lower, Colt M4 receiver extension with stock H buffer and spring, BCM trigger group, PSW FSC 556 muzzle device (nicely controls recoil, blasty to the ear drums no doubt), KAC folding sights, previous generation MI Combat rail.

No lightweight boutique BS, add-ons, or band-aids. Weighs 6 lbs 3 oz. with sights installed. Lightweight, but should be durable enough to take a beating.

Hopefully, I can get some time tomorrow morning to test fire and zero the BUIS.

Old October 12, 2019, 08:54   #2
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Is that weight with the magazine? Are you going to put an optic on it?

Looks pretty good,very practical looking.
Old October 12, 2019, 09:31   #3
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Ron View Post
Is that weight with the magazine? Are you going to put an optic on it?

Looks pretty good,very practical looking.
Thank you. I build my rifles for practicality, based upon personal military experience. Basically, every rifle should be built as a SHTF rifle. I don't build around the coolest fad, the plethora of redundant "boutique" crap pushed on the market (an AR is an AR, companies pull a lot of crap out their rears to stand out from the crowd... and guys are dumb, we bite), or internet commando garble. I also stay away from the cheap crap. Plenty of crap sold as "made in USA," which is nothing more than remarked Chinses garbage. that said, "good" doesn't always equate to expensive, and last weeks tacti-cool fad may still viable, and sometimes superior, to what replaced it.

Weight is not with magazine.

I'm pleased with the build, not sure if the MI handguard floats my boat (I have a couple "go to" choices which have been consistently rock sold) . Initial impression is positive, I like it better than the new MI handguard. I bought it used for $100, figure it would be worth a shot.

I will likely put an optic of some sort on it. I zero every single one of my builds with iron sights (BUIS and/or fixed) before considering optics. I also initially use a no frills single stage trigger group... just a personal preference for builds. It gives me a chance to familiarize myself with the rifle while removing as many variables as possible, and gives me a chance to work on my own shooting fundamentals.

Last edited by lockjaw; October 12, 2019 at 09:42.
lockjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2019, 10:05   #4
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I rate that brake four screams and one strabismus

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2019, 10:26   #5
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
I rate that brake four screams and one strabismus

Ha ha. It is an excellent flash/comp today, just as it was 10 years ago when it was in vogue.... and it is “blasty!”
Old October 12, 2019, 11:36   #6
LKY_13
Sig Sauer Me
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41000
Great little build. Keep us posted. I like the handguard well enough to say; I might be interested (should you decide you don't like it).
LKY_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2019, 14:58   #7
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
I have a MI hand guard on my DPMS 308 Recon, much better than the cheese grater blockish HG that it came with, very slim and light weight
Old October 12, 2019, 15:05   #8
Sh3008
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82779
Nice build. Quality parts. Enjoy!
Old October 12, 2019, 15:22   #9
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
Basically, every rifle should be built as a SHTF rifle...
That's true. Unless you're building a rifle for nostalgia (SP-1 ?) or whatever. I'm building a race gun because I'm going to race. But the rest of them are what I consider SHTF-worthy.

Nice looking stick.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2019, 18:18   #10
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
WTF is a race gun? Mine are all mainly blackish to slightly greyer

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2019, 01:43   #11
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Prolly means different things to different people. My "races" are of the Run 'n' Gun variety, so it means hauling your gear, firearms, ammo, water, etc. up hill and over dale (10 kilometers = 6 miles) whilst stopping to shoot paper and steel bad guys along the way. I don't call it "fun", but I keep signing up for these events...

Anyway, I'm building a gun with lighter-than-usual parts - to include things that I don't think make a lot of sense in the "real" world - like a carbon fiber receiver extension + integrated stock that will weigh less than a snotty handkerchief.

We'll see if I break anything.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
Old October 13, 2019, 01:54   #12
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

This is my addition to the "Another Blasty Little Carbine" thread here.

This is normal, mil-spec receiver extension with MFT stock. Geissele trigger in a Noveske lower, which will probably give no better service than a Geissele trigger in a RRA or PSA lower. But I had it here...

JP FMOS bolt + carrier. Noveske CHF barrel @ 14.7" pinned to ~16.7" with Griffin FH w/ external threads + taper mount for silencer.

Whole thing weighs 6.125 lbs. - no sights or magazine. I think this guy is getting an ACOG. Not sure yet.

Last edited by brunop; October 13, 2019 at 02:00.
Old October 13, 2019, 09:42   #13
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post

This is normal, mil-spec receiver extension with MFT stock. Geissele trigger in a Noveske lower, which will probably give no better service than a Geissele trigger in a RRA or PSA lower. But I had it here...

JP FMOS bolt + carrier. Noveske CHF barrel @ 14.7" pinned to ~16.7" with Griffin FH w/ external threads + taper mount for silencer.

Whole thing weighs 6.125 lbs. - no sights or magazine. I think this guy is getting an ACOG. Not sure yet.
Nice. Looks like a matched above Noveske upper receiver?

A lot of guys say a lower, is lower, is a lower..... yes and no... I have found that some manufacturers offer a more consistent product than others (regardless of who forges and finishes the part). Noveski lowers are typically well finished and have a tight fit. I also like BCM, Mega Machine and Spikes (over the past couple years). Modern Colts are really nice. They all have a durable matte anodized finished, fit tight, and are machined relatively uniform... cannot stand to have a lot of receiver overhang with the upper receiver. Regarding upper receivers, I have a drawer full of assorted uppers receivers that I can match if necessary, but for new upper receivers, Rainier Arms house receivers are excellent for the $$$.

For budget lower receivers, it is hard to beat Aero Precision lowers (heck, at any price for that matter). They are excellent product for the $$$.
Old October 13, 2019, 11:08   #14
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Not a 'matched' Noveske because I'm don't see the value.

I bought these parts when Noveske was branding Vltor uppers to go with their new Gen III lowers. So instead of $650 (or whatever thing they charge for matched set) I bought the 'chainsaw' Noveske on GB to save another $50, and paid $140 for the Vltor.

They fit beautifully, which is how I got hooked on those parts combos. Kinda like an StG kit on an Imbel: they didn't go like that out of the factory, but they look good and they just plain shoot.

Yes to Aero. All the ones I've held are nice - seems like a good product.
Old October 13, 2019, 13:05   #15
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Quote:

Throw an H-1 or T-1 on that bad boy!

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2019, 18:37   #16
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Very nice!

Here is my blasty little carbine...

[IMG][/IMG]
Old October 17, 2019, 08:30   #17
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

I had a chance to test fire last Tuesday. I had a brief window before returning to "husband do list"... so much for my day off . I was only able to fire off a 20 round mag, as previous rifle took a little more time than expected to dial in.

I zeroed on a USGI 25 meter target with the iron sights, and then fired five hasty rounds at 100 yards before packing up.

I know, it is only five rounds (I'm one of those "10 consecutive rounds or it didn't happen" guys)…. but it is promising.

Very light shooter using H buffer. Will not lock back after last round with H2 buffer. Used Hornady .223 HP steel match (had a couple loaded USGI 20 rounders already in bag while prepping for the last minute range trip, so I rolled with it). Nice blasting ammo, by the way. https://www.luckygunner.com/bulk-223...hphornady-500s

Old October 17, 2019, 14:11   #18
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

If that ^ is 100 yards with irons, you can shoot (and see!).

Also, rifle is GTG. I'd put a ribbon on it and send it out the door.
Old October 17, 2019, 16:49   #19
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Five round groups are worthy of consideration IMHO. Many of my rifles to shoot a ten round group takes a lot of time if don't want to overheat and damage the throat of a very overbore cartridge. 223/5.56 does not fall in this category but will call that group good to go from a new build with iron sites while under time constraints. Drop a decent piece of glass on it and bet it shoots some darn good ten round groups.

Have some rifles like my 7mm Practicals, a couple of my 22-250's, my two best 25-06's and others which have to first fire a fouling shot then two more shots to bring them up to their preferred operating temperature range. Then based on ambient temperature may have to shoot a round every minute or round every five minutes to keep chamber/throat area in the rifles sweet spot for temperature. During heat of summer have been known to carry all the fans can round up and set up three rifles on different benches moving from rifle to rifle and firing when each drops back into temperature range it prefers. It's a lot of fun to have three benches in play, chronographs on two and trying to run ladders on one of the rifles in play.

This is why I stick with five shot groups on my overbore rifles including a few of my AR 15's. Have five poodle shooters in 22 Nosler of which two are built to abuse and shoot 1.25" to 1.75" ten round groups based on how cold, hot, clean, dirty or whatever they are at time. The other three are built to be precision varmint rifles which can be also pressed into combat role if need for an extra 200 yards of supersonic bullet flight is needed. These I shoot five shot groups from the magazine usually after a fouling shot if clean then try to keep them reasonably cool but not so anal as having a temperature probe attached to barrel right at throat area or constant readings with a non contact thermometer. The two White Oak Armament 20" barrels shoot 3/4" to 1.25" at 100 based on how well I am shooting, ammo used and if happen to heat them up a tad too much. The 20" ARP melonite tube shoots 1 MOA if foul the barrel then lay down a nice methodical five round group. It has not been shot enough to see how it responds to heat. Same with my 270 AR semi wildcat. Shoots 1 MOA five shot groups from magazine but never pushed it as don't want to smoke the throat but believe if had to press any of them they would hold up for most any contact I would be involved in.

Have a pair of White Oak Armament 5.56 Wylde 24" 0.996 to gas block (rifle plus three inch gas length) then 0.875" from gas block to 11° target crown with 1:12 twist built specifically for active varmint fields like Prairie Dogs, big flock of crows, or similar. Theym are 1/2" rifles easily when treated kindly but they will easily fire 10 round groups from the magazine into 1" or less even when run two twenty round magazines dry as fast as able to acquire the next target, squeeze and move to next victim. If hunting from a blind will often carry both the twins and every couple of magazines will swap to the cooler rifle. Picked this habit up with my overbore bolt rifles a long time ago when varmint hunting and why have twins in so many rifles. With my W.O.A. 22 Nosler twins will swap rifles every magazine if running them at more than a couple rounds per minute.

Not a good comparison for a combat rifle as can't carry two rifles into the field unless have an M4 across your back in case you get ambushed while carrying your Barrett or CheyTac to a snipers hide and don't want to fight a half dozen aggressors with a bolt action. While I generally try to avoid hammering on a rifle then expect it to suddenly go from dropping rounds as fast as can squeeze the trigger to settle into a decent rest and take a shot out to 600 yards that has to make contact and that is what my Mk 12 Mod 0 and Mk 12 Mod H clones will do. Two of my Mk 12 clones have Noveske barrels, one a Douglas and the other a White Oak. All are 18" and with an operator behind them they will obey the shooters commands.

Climbing friend of mine called me a while back as a close friend of his from 75th Ranger Battalion was moving just ten miles from my home as his wife (Mrt when at Camp F.D. Merrill while doing a stint as cadre) wanted to move home when he mustered out and didn't know anyone but a couple of other Rangers who live in area and his wife's family. Have taken him out shooting several times and it's pure poetry to watch him shoot. He was attached to USSOCOM and was either on the mission proper if mix of SEALs/Delta/75th or in a Chinook or group of Blackhawks stationed as backup if the mission went south and primary team needed extraction. Said when not in field they were required to hit the range every day and had a set of tasks that included hits out to 800 yards on a gong before allowed to leave the range. Has probably fired more rounds through a SOPMOD modified M4 in an average year than most of us will fire in five to ten years.

It kind of pisses me off when hand him any one of my twins whether the Mk 12 W.O.A.'s, the 24" varmint rifles, 20" 22 Nosler's or even my 10.5" 6.8 Noveske piston drives and he proves unless he was very unlucky while I had the rabbits foot and four leaf clover if had to go at each other my best bet would be to start running away as soon as possible and not stop till locked myself in the house and pulled my TRG 42 in 338 Lapua Mag. He hounds me all the time to sell him one of my 10.5" 6.8's and one of my Mk 12 clones. He even says after over 1,000 rounds through my rifles he prefers binary triggers to fill auto in most circumstances except if you were on a small fire base with more loaded magazines ready to go than can count and had a group trying to over run the position. He qualifies that opinion with idea that the full auto M4 is only rifle available to him as would rather have a SAW if needed to send continuous fire into his field of fire responsible for. Have about a dozen mixed friends and acquaintances that are either finishing or recently finished their careers in one of several special ops groups and found all of them have real skills and can often snap off a shot offhand I have to settle into a rest, get my breathing under control, gef good readings on range and wind then carefully squeeze off the shot they threw the rifle up and then moved to next target without breaking their rythem.

It's not always the rifle but as much or more the operator behind it. Nothing more humbling than someone out shooting you with your own firearms. For most of my life have been able go do that with most civilians and many average run of the mill soldiers. Especially when put a 1911 in my hand. Don't care what make, size or if box stock made in Philippines or Wilson Custom. Suddenly have found myself shooting with a group of folks that make every day at the range a struggle not to embarrass myself and shoot 300 rounds per week minimum from a 1911. Have a friend with best eyes have ever known. He can see things and shoot them that I can't see at all without a magnified scope. He shoots four inch full magazine groups from his 10mm Glock at 100 yards two hand hold with no rest. He will call a shot that I can't see the target till his round breaks it. Best natural handgun shooter ever met who does not compete.

So blasty little carbine made with all bargain parts, all premium parts build with a $600 Bartlein barrel or box stock Colt Hbar shooting M193, Wolf bargain steel case or best match ammo can find how do we quantify the operator? I can take most any of my nicer poodle shooters and put them in the hands of one of my competative bench rest friends at at their home range with their preferred rest and the results are likely to be different than when I run the same rifle off my rifle rest and rear bag at same distance. It's not always a huge difference but it's enough it proves most of my rifles will shoot better than I am capable of using. Especially when hand a 22 Nosler AR build to a dedicated distance shooter at the 600 yard line.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2019, 16:52   #20
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
If that ^ is 100 yards with irons, you can shoot (and see!).

Also, rifle is GTG. I'd put a ribbon on it and send it out the door.
I can shoot, after a little range time... I don't shoot nearly as much as I would like to. See? Not as well as I did when I carried a B4 ASI, but I did just get new glasses. The thin front sight post on the KAC front sight helps (compared to USGI).
Old October 17, 2019, 17:02   #21
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
I like these blasters.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2019, 21:47   #22
Southern 7.62
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79321
Well I'll throw mine in here too. Just finished the crappy paint on the lower. The original polymer lower failed so I ordered a nice PSA stealth lower. Paint scheme is something I copied from current South African camo pics I've seen here on the Files. I got 1.65 five-shot bench groups with irons using 62gr SS109 during sight-in. I think I'll add a scope to this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AR.jpg (137.2 KB, 17 views)
Southern 7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2019, 13:03   #23
M90A1
Gettin' there!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 3409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern 7.62 View Post
Well I'll throw mine in here too. Just finished the crappy paint on the lower. The original polymer lower failed so I ordered a nice PSA stealth lower. Paint scheme is something I copied from current South African camo pics I've seen here on the Files. I got 1.65 five-shot bench groups with irons using 62gr SS109 during sight-in. I think I'll add a scope to this one.
I'm curious as to what brand of poly lower you had that failed, if you wouldn't mind disclosing that info. I haven't heard of the later gen poly lowers giving problems. The early ones were total nightmares.
M90A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2019, 18:11   #24
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Old or new generation I have zero use for a polymer AR lower. In fact only polymer firearms I own are Grendel P30 and pair of KelTec PMR 30s because they hold 30 rounds of 22 Magnum in a single magazine and make good bug out bag pistols. Can drop 500 rounds of 22 mag ammo in a small pack and with two spare magazines have a fairly significant firepower load when take weight and size into consideration.

Have a passel of SIG SP2022s (mostly all Tacops models with threaded barrels and tall night sights) in both 40 Smith and 9mm. Believe it's four 40's and three 9mm's but may be more as sometimes forget buying inexpensive pistols. The SIGs have stainless rails molded imto frames so stainless slide is riding in stainless. Have railed on them with and without suppressors. Two of the 40's have over 2,500 rounds each down the pipe amd are as snug as when new.

Seen too many broken polymer AR lowers to even trust the newest high speed/low drag model on the market. Don't even want a rim fire build on a polymer AR lower. Apparently lots of people do like them as seem to keep rolling off the production line but considering can buy a reputable forged aluminum lower for $45 why would anyone want plastic? I still have well over 100 unbuilt lowers in 7071 forged and billet magnesium that paid an average of just over $30 each when able to buy as cheap as $19, $29, $33 and $39 each. Have at least a dozen DPMS receiver sets with their billet 6061 lowers and Lo Pro uppers purchased at $99 per set when market was at rock bottom.

Unfortunately am down to only a half dozen SWAT Firearms matched upper amd lower sets machined from solid billet 6061-T6 alloy with wire EDM cut magazine wells that give a good snug fit with metal magazines but don't like many polymer magazines once they begin to swell. Not an issue for me as I don't use polymer magazines for anything but hoarding to sell later when even crappy high capacity mags are bringing $30 again.

Just recently had an oportunity to buy Anderson lowers in quantities of six for $39 each with no tax and free shipping so added another eighteen to the pile just because I buy alost any deal that pops up and that was best price have seen in past year. For the right price would buy several dozen more lowers and uppers at the drop of a hat. When CDNN was selling SIG AR uppers for $39 would add at least a half dozen to every order and when they ran a sale on them for $29 bought all they would sell me at one time. Same with White Oak Armament uppers they had an entire shipment that came in that didn't fall in their color palate and sold the entire lot as blems much cheaper than their normal blem upper price and loaded up on White Oaks. Unsure who they buy from but if good enough for their $1,000 and higher Service Rifle uppers I don't care who did final machining. I didn't care they were a little more grey than black.

AR 15 and AR 10 receivers are still cheap enough to stockpile and occasionally cheap enough to do powerbuys. Anyone who didn't needs to get cracking while they can as I feel prices easing up and won't come back down like they were as watch more and more smaller vendors closing up shop. I can't find SWAT Firearms uppers anymore especially mated to a hand matched lower and pin holes line bored together. Their lowers are scattered about on a few sites and their website domain is now for sale and are selling mostly T-Shirts and small stuff through a Facebook page.

Looks like DPMS Lo Pro will have to be my heavy sets when run out of the last of my matched SWAT sets or until find another small shop with good product on the edge and making bulk deals to keep cash flow up. Have more receivers than can probably ever build but sure there will be people down the road that didn't stock up and when the market allows the bigger players to squeeze out the smaller or they just go belly up receiver prices are going to climb to point I can sell off overburden to buy other parts like nice barrels to keep builds going. Was a time was buying MAG Tacticals for $19 each in quantities of 120 per order and selling half of each order for $40 each which made my 60 more than free as put $60 cash in my pocket. When they had a pile sitting and needed cash to make Friday payroll.

The big deal was always on Thursday and knew owner was balancing his checkbook and if needed extra cash to write paychecks was about half a dozen or so folks like me buying as many as we would. My deal was call between 10:00 and 2:00 each Thursday and either got a mega load in various colors at $19 or small/medium load of single color at $29. Am watching three companies now and already opening corporate accounts and establishing myself as a buyer as smell they may be another well made product about to be able to buy cheap so their bills get paid on time. Not a single one are polymers.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote