The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old November 19, 2019, 09:03   #51
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Most of the time it's the Sig P320 X-Carry with Apex trigger and factory night sights in .40 S&W carried small of back.

I recently went to the X-Carry frame from the standard compact frame. The difference is the X-carry uses full-size magazines, but is only slightly longer ( about 1/4") in the grip length due to the raised grip position in reference to the slide. I carry 14+1 in it, plus another 14rd magazine. I did carry the extra compact mag before as well, but until I can swap a compact mag for a full-size I guess I'll stay with the 29 rds. On days where I'm in light clothing I'll carry the LC9s Pro, plus 2 mags for a total of 22 rds.

Occasionally I also carry the BUG, especially when getting gas or whatever, which is a NAA .22 Mag in the front left pocket. Also there all the time is a lefty Protech Automatic knife. They make excellent products, but for the $$$ they better be!

One other defensive tool is the Fenix UC 35 960 lumen LED rechargeable flashlight. It rides in the right rear pocket next to my wallet. Has 5 power levels and a strobe. Highest level rivals a headlight on my truck. I swear inside of 50 ft you could cook a chicken with it. Never forget a blind opponent is far less of a threat.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 09:04   #52
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
SIG P238 is the only pistol I ever shot I was afraid of shooting my finger off. Yes, I've never shot a USFA ZIP 22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
Traditionalist.
Golliah: "gimme back my jockstrap!"
David: "Coming up, but first let me show you this weird trick I learned. Eyes on the rock. eyes on the rock."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrew Battle Rifle View Post
9X19mm is an excellent round for engaging targets. 45ACP is an outstanding round for engaging an enemy.
And the lowly .380 is good enough to start a World War.
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 10:11   #53
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post

And the lowly .380 is good enough to start a World War.
Starting a fight is easy. Winning the fight takes a little more effort.
Old November 19, 2019, 11:42   #54
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
9X19mm is an excellent round for engaging targets. 45ACP is an outstanding round for engaging an enemy.
While that argument holds true if you are observing the Geneva convention and shooting FMJ, I think it has pretty been pretty much been laid to rest with the advent of modern JHP projectiles. Properly placed, either is perfectly adequate to resolve most any problem !

Since no one asked me to sign the Convention, I use 9mm JHP and have full confidence in it. That said, I do still have a soft spot for 1911s

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 11:45   #55
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
While that argument holds true if you are observing the Geneva convention and shooting FMJ, I think it has pretty been pretty much been laid to rest with the advent of modern JHP projectiles.

Since no one asked me to sign the Convention, I use 9mm JHP and have full confidence in it. That said, I do still have a soft spot for 1911s
And I have a bunch of .45ACP handguns too, but I carry a Glock 17...

It may be ugly (to many eyes, including mine), but beauty is as beauty does...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 11:56   #56
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
A stainless Colt Pony .380 in an inside the waist holster. Kershaw assisted opening blade front pocket. If’n I need more than that I am in the wrong neighborhood.
Larry
Old November 19, 2019, 12:10   #57
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post

And, by the way, it's a 9x19mmP gun and not a .40 Short&Weak conversion (OK, so probably unfair because the .40S&W is not a bad round, but I don't care. I don't think that the .40S&W is 'enough better' than the 9x19mmP (using appropriate bullets) to warrant dropping your round count in the mag. If you don't agree with me, you probably don't agree with me... ).

Also, the Gen2 Glock 17 that I am currently carrying (I have others) is a police trade-in, and I have modded it...

Well, my mods include replacing the original ++ trigger (probably a NYPD gun to begin with) that was about 88 lbs (OK, so probably about 15, really) with the standard 5.5 lb trigger (had to replace the connector and spring). I also sent the slide in to Glock to have the original night sights (getting somewhat dim) replaced with new ones (Glock branded, but really Meprolight). Glock has great customer support...

That's it for mods...

I consider the Glock 17 to be the best combat handgun in the world (and I have a lot of the newer (and older, for that matter) wondernines to compare it with (Walter PPQ, FN 509, Beretta APX, etc., all of which are great guns too)...

Feel free to disagree with me.

And I have no use for little guns with little round counts these days given my current perception of likely threats and large hands...

For what little it's worth...

Forrest
Old November 19, 2019, 12:18   #58
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
While that argument holds true......
What argument did I present?
Old November 19, 2019, 12:38   #59
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

Quote:

Forrest
I am not a Glock basher. I have so much confidence in Glocks that I have armed my favorite niece with a G26 and I replenish her ammo supply as needed. To her, a firearm is a means to an end and nothing else. To look at a display of firearms in a gun shop for her is equivalent to my looking at a display of cookware.

Since I look at my guns far more than I have opportunities to shoot them, their aesthetic appeal is an important feature.
Old November 19, 2019, 12:41   #60
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
I am not a Glock basher. I have so much confidence in Glocks that I have armed my favorite niece with a G26 and I replenish her ammo supply as needed. To her, a firearm is a means to an end and nothing else. To look at a display of firearms in a gun shop for her is equivalent to my looking at a display of cookware.

Since I look at my guns far more than I have opportunities to shoot them, their aesthetic appeal is an important feature.
And I have great sympathy with that...

That's one reason why I have so many other, more recent, guns...

Forrest
Old November 19, 2019, 14:07   #61
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
What argument did I present?
Used the term figuratively vis a vis the 9mm vs .45ACP is all Which is to say, with proper ammo, the 9mm is more than adequate for correcting the lifestyle of "enemies".

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 16:54   #62
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
Quote:
Winter at my AO is generally mild so wearing sweat shirts under my normal cover garment is usually sufficient and doesn't alter my draw. But this year has the potential to warrant a field jacket and if so, a small frame revolver in the waist pockets is an appealing option.
I don't agree with your assessment of polymer pistols. My HK USP 45 has been an outstanding firearm and since the draw from concealment and ergonomics are the same with it as my 1911s, I have it in my EDC rotation with complete confidence. Although, I will concede that if the HK USP were as aesthetically unappealing as a Glock, I would not have it.
I agree 100% on the ugliness of the HK. P7. It's ugly but damned handy.

I'd give a tupperware gun a try, but not a striker fired POS. CZ makes a nice polymer "sorta" version of the 75 and I might just pull the handle one one of those.

My issue is more with striker fired anything. I want an actual physical safety lever as on a BHP, CZ.75 SA, or 1911. All of those also have the half cocked hammer as another safety.

Plus, what the phoque is a Grock's trigger connected to? It feels like a freaking marshmallow with some sand baked into it.

“Anyone who doesn’t think the Welfare Industrial Complex is trying to increase dependency isn’t paying attention.” - Howie Carr
ExCdnSoldierInTx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 17:07   #63
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCdnSoldierInTx View Post

My issue is more with striker fired anything. I want an actual physical safety lever as on a BHP, CZ.75 SA, or 1911. All of those also have the half cocked hammer as another safety.

I really like the safety lever on Smith revolvers, although I think they might call it the trigger....

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 17:25   #64
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post
I really like the safety lever on Smith revolvers, although I think they might call it the trigger....

Forrest
Old November 19, 2019, 17:50   #65
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
And, by the way, it's a 9x19mmP gun and not a .40 Short&Weak conversion (OK, so probably unfair because the .40S&W is not a bad round, but I don't care. I don't think that the .40S&W is 'enough better' than the 9x19mmP (using appropriate bullets) to warrant dropping your round count in the mag. If you don't agree with me, you probably don't agree with me... ).

Also, the Gen2 Glock 17 that I am currently carrying (I have others) is a police trade-in, and I have modded it...

Well, my mods include replacing the original ++ trigger (probably a NYPD gun to begin with) that was about 88 lbs (OK, so probably about 15, really) with the standard 5.5 lb trigger (had to replace the connector and spring). I also sent the slide in to Glock to have the original night sights (getting somewhat dim) replaced with new ones (Glock branded, but really Meprolight). Glock has great customer support...

That's it for mods...

I consider the Glock 17 to be the best combat handgun in the world (and I have a lot of the newer (and older, for that matter) wondernines to compare it with (Walter PPQ, FN 509, Beretta APX, etc., all of which are great guns too)...

And I have no use for little guns with little round counts these days given my current perception of likely threats and large hands...

Forrest
Yep!

Carried a 1911 into harms way,,,,,would have loved having a Glock during all those times.

17 vs 7,,,,,more resistant to being in the mud,,,and far more prone to actually work regardless of conditions.

Got more than a half dozen NICE 1911's,,,would one be my first choice to carry into the field,,,under actual field conditions,,,hell no,,,steel 7 round magazines alone,,, places it well down the list.

In the bushes,,,if it can rust,,,it will rust and rust quickly,,,and then it don't work.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 18:00   #66
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:

That's it for mods...

Forrest
My 75B holds 16 in it's mag, and it eats all the fancy new JHPs with zero issues whatsoever.

Yeah it's probably a bit heavier than the new plastics, but it's familiar and absolutely automatic for me. I can run an unplanned string of 7 off into a 6" circle at 20 FEET with no issue at all.
And in the end, as you are well aware, it's what works for YOU that matters regarding choice of carry pistols.

As for my choice of a long barrelled wheelgun, I'm in an elevated spot when I carry that, so when I need accuracy over speed, it's my first choice.

“Anyone who doesn’t think the Welfare Industrial Complex is trying to increase dependency isn’t paying attention.” - Howie Carr

Last edited by ExCdnSoldierInTx; November 19, 2019 at 18:52.
Old November 19, 2019, 18:27   #67
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCdnSoldierInTx View Post
My 75B holds 16 in it's mag, and it eats all the fancy new JHPs with zero issues whatsoever.

Yeah it's probably a bit heavier than the new plastics, but it's familiar and absolutely automatic for me. I can run an unplanned string of 7 off into a 6" circle at 20 yards with no issue at all.
And in the end, as you are well aware, it's what works for YOU that matters regarding choice of carry pistols.

As for my choice of a long barrelled wheelgun, I'm in an elevated spot when I carry that, so when I need accuracy over speed, it's my first choice.
I figure that, if I can't get to a rifle within 50rds (17+33), well, then I'm probably pretty well screwed anyway...

Forrest
Old November 19, 2019, 18:42   #68
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:

Yep, intrinsically safe, but w/o a safety to flip or a slide to rack.

Exactly why my wife and my daughter both carry a Lady Smith
Old November 19, 2019, 18:44   #69
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:

BAM!!

Touche brother, touche!

Old November 19, 2019, 18:46   #70
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
I figure that, if I can't get to a rifle within 50rds (17+33), well, then I'm probably pretty well screwed anyway...

Forrest
yep. same here. 16 plus a spare, plus the 7 in the bootgun should about let me either neutralize the threat opr get to my rifle.

Any more than that and I got bigger problems.

And where I said 20 YARDS up above, I meant 20 FEET. If you can bang off a long string in a few seconds and do 6" at 20 YARDS, you need to be on a competition team.

Old November 19, 2019, 20:09   #71
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Yep!

Carried a 1911 into harms way,,,,,would have loved having a Glock during all those times.

17 vs 7,,,,,more resistant to being in the mud,,,and far more prone to actually work regardless of conditions.

Got more than a half dozen NICE 1911's,,,would one be my first choice to carry into the field,,,under actual field conditions,,,hell no,,,steel 7 round magazines alone,,, places it well down the list.

In the bushes,,,if it can rust,,,it will rust and rust quickly,,,and then it don't work.

Im a hi-power or 1911 guy through and through.
I had to relearn my shooting grip when I got my first glock.
They are ugly, blocky and have no character but they work every time and have become my favorite handgun.
Only owning 4 of them I can honestly say they are the first gun I grab if something goes bump in the night.
For me, I dont think there is a better shooting handgun than the 19....
Ugly but a utilitarians dream.
Old November 19, 2019, 20:35   #72
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
FNX-45.
Or
Sig Sauer TTT 1911.
Old November 19, 2019, 20:43   #73
MontanaGrant
Registered

FALaholic #: 52664
I work on a ranch so everday carry is a Ruger GP100 .357.

When I do go to town I have been carrying an Astra 2 3/4" Snubnose .44 magnum OWB. Summer or winter it's what I been carrying. Untucked shirt it conceals really well in a Desantis Speed Scabbard. Then 6 or 12 extra rounds in speed strips on speed strip carriers on my belt.

When that is too big (super hot) I been carrying a S&W model 38 airweight .38 special. Currently just 158 XTP hornadys but plan on ordering some Buffalo Bore non+P .38 158 lswchp as soon as I can.

Long road trips where I'm sitting I usually carry a Sig 220 .45acp in a shoulder holster.
MontanaGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 20:59   #74
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

These videos are worth a look.

Old November 19, 2019, 22:21   #75
Delta-3
Registered

FALaholic #: 36449
On occasion, I'll carry my Beretta 92 compact Inox that WC worked their magic on but mostly it's my S&W M&P 2.0 compact with a Trijicon RMR & a PMM compensator.

Old November 19, 2019, 22:56   #76
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
Im a hi-power or 1911 guy through and through.
I had to relearn my shooting grip when I got my first glock.
They are ugly, blocky and have no character but they work every time and have become my favorite handgun.
Only owning 4 of them I can honestly say they are the first gun I grab if something goes bump in the night.
For me, I dont think there is a better shooting handgun than the 19....
Ugly but a utilitarians dream.
In a peacetime,,,clean,,normal world,,,BHP,,CZ, 1911's,,SW 19's,,,whatever rocks one boat is simply fine,,,if ya can't carry a rifle.

Folks that are convinced today,,,,their whatever is the one,,,the perfect one,,,let them carried it 20 miles a day for a while,,in rain, snow, sand,etc,, and put their lives up against the thing firing when called upon,,,after they see stuff not work,,rust up nearly overnight tight,,,ain;t got time to clean it,,then see if they still like it.

Glocks are light,,reliable,,high round count,,seals up tight to keep crap out of the thing,,a piece of tape over the muzzle,,grab and go.

There are carry pistols and war pistols,,,being light,,,hard to muck up,,reliable enough,,high round counts,,hard to beat.

Old November 20, 2019, 01:44   #77
CTW
Registered

FALaholic #: 41894
Smith and Wesson 642 in right front pocket holster alternates between Gen 3 Glock 26 strong side belt carry with Glock 17 mag for backup. Sometimes carry both if feel the need too. Usually if that's the case I change the snubby to my front right jacket pocket, so I can fire it through the coat pocket if need be. It also provides weight to the front right coat pocket, so if I need to draw the Glock all I have to do is swing my hip back and the jacket follows. Always have my Cold Steel Voyager too.
Old November 20, 2019, 01:58   #78
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
again a comical debate...

There is no Zombie horde coming at you
if there was a minigun won't save your sorry ass

truth is a few rounds resolves matters usually for all
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2019, 07:40   #79
Andraste
Registered

FALaholic #: 80827
CZ Rami or P07 and an awareness of what's going on around me at all times. I am always the smallest weakest one in any situation so I have to be quicker, smarter and two steps ahead.
Andraste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2019, 10:29   #80
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post

So you carry a NAA mini-revolver in .22LR?

Or can't you carry...?

Forrest
Old November 20, 2019, 11:41   #81
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Quote:

Not to argue but if you read Maslow you see that security is the cornerstone in your pyramid to full achievement of life. Carrying a firearm is about security. Any debate is about who is best armed for what encounters they might forsee happening.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2019, 11:44   #82
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
So you carry a NAA mini-revolver in .22LR?

Or can't you carry...?

Forrest
Honestly I carry one of those.... as a back up to my back up. Fits nicely in my hat band
Old November 20, 2019, 12:04   #83
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Honestly I carry one of those.... as a back up to my back up. Fits nicely in my hat band
I have nothing against them as a back-up to a back-up...

But, of course, my comment was directed at something else, as you know...

Forrest
Old November 20, 2019, 12:08   #84
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
I have nothing against them as a back-up to a back-up...

But, of course, my comment was directed at something else, as you know...

Forrest
Yup but took a potshot anyway (pun intended)
Old November 20, 2019, 12:31   #85
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:

Since we are talking about fantasy, that actually reminds me of Lord of The Rings when the bad guys bring this huge army and stand outside the walls. I've always wonder when I watch that scene: if you had 3-4 heavy machine guns at the ground level, against the wall, with a lot of ammo and spare barrels, manned by people trained in WWI tactics, while archers are there on the top of the wall to create a dead zone ahead of the machine guns, what would happen?

Reason for the location is so the rounds would be able to go through a few people before stopping. And machine guns would be sweeping the attacking army as they did when people went over the top during the Big Push. It just feel the attacker's tactics were just designed to be repelled by machine guns.
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2019, 12:33   #86
TNAndy
Computer Geek
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64986
To answer the OP's question, a Springfield Armory XD(s) 9mm with the 3.3 inch barrel. It fits well in a Sneaky Pete holster. Very few people have recognized it as a holster.

I've seen a thread like this before, but I guess it's possible some folks have updated their choices since then.
Old November 20, 2019, 12:36   #87
TNAndy
Computer Geek
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64986
Quote:
Since we are talking about fantasy, that actually reminds me of Lord of The Rings when the bad guys bring this huge army and stand outside the walls. I've always wonder when I watch that scene: if you had 3-4 heavy machine guns at the ground level, against the wall, with a lot of ammo and spare barrels, manned by people trained in WWI tactics, while archers are there on the top of the wall to create a dead zone ahead of the machine guns, what would happen?

Reason for the location is so the rounds would be able to go through a few people before stopping. And machine guns would be sweeping the attacking army as they did when people went over the top during the Big Push. It just feel the attacker's tactics were just designed to be repelled by machine guns.
So are there any Gatling guns that can maintain continuous fire--given a sufficiently long belt of ammo of course. In other words, do they always overheat?
Old November 20, 2019, 13:01   #88
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:

Well since you started a fantasy tour mine is always the same, I am working a ranch and wearing a six gun. A really nice six gun that would be BBQ quality that everyone would admire. Then as the community gathers for a big beef bbq they hold a shooting match that I always win with my custom 44 special Colt SAA that's all engraved and rides in an Elpaso Sadlery custom holster and belt.
Old November 20, 2019, 14:10   #89
CTW
Registered

Call me what you want, but growing up in North Miami-Dade (Carol City) and working in places like Opa-Locka for 5 years and being held hostage once gives me a damn good reason to carry two guns if I feel the need. Usually though my J frame gives me all the comfort I need. I’ve been a concealed carrier for 25 years now and yes my wardrobe has been tailored to my carry lifestyle. I only buy certain clothes and sizes to accommodate.
Old November 20, 2019, 21:42   #90
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Yup but took a potshot anyway (pun intended)
I'm not sure what this means, but whatever...

Forrest
Old November 20, 2019, 21:47   #91
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTW View Post
Call me what you want, but growing up in North Miami-Dade (Carol City) and working in places like Opa-Locka for 5 years and being held hostage once gives me a damn good reason to carry two guns if I feel the need. Usually though my J frame gives me all the comfort I need. I’ve been a concealed carrier for 25 years now and yes my wardrobe has been tailored to my carry lifestyle. I only buy certain clothes and sizes to accommodate.
While living in Phoenix I knew a few guys in the trades that carried a backup pistol. Pretty common.
Im lucky where I live now I can carry my pistol concealed, and always have an SBR AR with a few mags in the truck as a back up.

I grew tired of hauling around anything extra. Part of the reason why I went with glocks as I dont even carry a second magazine usually.
Old November 20, 2019, 22:58   #92
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
While living in Phoenix I knew a few guys in the trades that carried a backup pistol. Pretty common.
Im lucky where I live now I can carry my pistol concealed, and always have an SBR AR with a few mags in the truck as a back up.

I grew tired of hauling around anything extra. Part of the reason why I went with glocks as I dont even carry a second magazine usually.
Yep!

Old November 20, 2019, 23:01   #93
CTW
Registered

Quote:

I’m sorry brother if it sounded like I was working there in any Law Enforcement capacity. I worked night shift at a Dairy Processing plant in my 20’s and it was one of the worst areas in Miami. (Opa-Locka). Just being white and driving to work at night was risky much less going to a store or any place of business. I had two handguns I carried all of the time. A full size Glock 21 gen 2 with Cor Bon 185 +p ammo as a truck gun because if it’s size. My other gun which was actually carried on me was a Smith and Wesson 457 with the same ammo.
Old November 20, 2019, 23:06   #94
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTW View Post
I’m sorry brother if it sounded like I was working there in any Law Enforcement capacity. I worked night shift at a Dairy Processing plant in my 20’s and it was one of the worst areas in Miami. .
No worries, didnt come off as that at all.

I literally live a few short miles to the Canadian border in a small town where there is crime, but nothing like NorCal or Phoenix. Im pretty blessed to be able to not have a infantry load out to go to the gas station!
Old November 20, 2019, 23:46   #95
CTW
Registered

Quote:
No worries, didnt come off as that at all.

I literally live a few short miles to the Canadian border in a small town where there is crime, but nothing like NorCal or Phoenix. Im pretty blessed to be able to not have a infantry load out to go to the gas station!
I hear you. I wouldn’t move back to South Florida if you paid me. It’s not for me anymore. I’m in Central Florida now in a more rural setting.
Old November 21, 2019, 01:33   #96
old_spambo
Registered

FALaholic #: 75387
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
A Gen4 Glock 19 with the old Federal 115-gr+P+ 9mm load in a Holsters USA kydex IWB.

In the summertime, a S&W Airweight.
That's what I carry. Glock 19, IWB hybrid holster, extra mag, Fed. 115gr +P+.

In the summer time, wearing shorts, I pack a Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster
with an extra mag.

Old_Spambo
old_spambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2019, 07:47   #97
VHart51
Registered

FALaholic #: 81270
Colt Combat Commander "Fo Five" Series 80- given to me as a present from my late brother a 100 years ago.....
VHart51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2019, 09:03   #98
nightschneider
Registered

FALaholic #: 1993
For many, many years I carried a gen2 Glock19 AIWB in a High Noon holster.

For the last 8 months or so, I've been carrying an S&W M&P 2.0 Compact 9mm AIWB in a High Noon holster.

Hornady 135 +p Critical Duty in both.
nightschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2019, 09:48   #99
CTW
Registered

I’m using Remington 125 grain +p Golden Sabre in my 642 and Speer Gold Dot 147 grain in my Glock 26.
Old November 21, 2019, 17:31   #100
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
In a peacetime,,,clean,,normal world,,,BHP,,CZ, 1911's,,SW 19's,,,whatever rocks one boat is simply fine,,,if ya can't carry a rifle.

Folks that are convinced today,,,,their whatever is the one,,,the perfect one,,,let them carried it 20 miles a day for a while,,in rain, snow, sand,etc,, and put their lives up against the thing firing when called upon,,,after they see stuff not work,,rust up nearly overnight tight,,,ain;t got time to clean it,,then see if they still like it.

Glocks are light,,reliable,,high round count,,seals up tight to keep crap out of the thing,,a piece of tape over the muzzle,,grab and go.

There are carry pistols and war pistols,,,being light,,,hard to muck up,,reliable enough,,high round counts,,hard to beat.
I agree 100% In peacetime, it is what it is. In wartime, I'd most likely switch to the polymer version of the 75B. I'm just not big into switching at this point in my life.

But using your analogy, in a SHTF situation, we really need no rifle larger than a .22 long.
We can feed ourselves with it, we can defend ourselves with it, and best of all, it can easily turn itself into something or anything more capable if the need arises.