The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old November 17, 2019, 16:01   #1
Grunt
Registered

FALaholic #: 130
RV trips through Unfriendly to Gun States with CCW.

I plan on going on long RV trips with firearms across many state lines. I have a CCW License but some states are just looking for any excuse to arrest you like NJ,NY and California. Other than just don't go there or hide it good and hope they don't find it answers I was looking for ideas on places I could store the weapons just outside the border. One idea I have heard is dropping your weapons off at a Gun shop and paying them to store it or clean it and then picking it up again after you have crossed the border. I would like to bring an AR,Shotgun and pistol on my travels so keep that in mind in your answers. The storage time would be two weeks or less and usually in different places all over the US. Would Mailing or shipping be an idea ? Who could I mail it to be held while I travel and pick it up on the outbound leg from the state. Any Ideas would be appreciated.
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2019, 16:18   #2
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Dont visit, spend money or even grace the doorstep of states that are anti gun would be a start.

That or just leave your guns at home.
Old November 17, 2019, 16:31   #3
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Most of flyover country will honor your CCW permit with the exception of IL. Even there, you can drive through with a loaded handgun in your vehicle, but not carry it when you leave the vehicle. A caveat to think on regarding your AR, some gun friendly states have laws against having a loaded rifle in the vehicle (I think this is based on poaching laws). As dumb as I thought an AR pistol was in the past, I have learned it has a purpose as it is a pistol and covered by your CCW
Old November 17, 2019, 16:34   #4
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
https://www.pewpewtactical.com/rving-with-guns/

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2019, 16:57   #5
NFADLR
Registered

FALaholic #: 7480
ON the question of mailing a handgun, that is illegal unless you hold a FFL.

FedEx or UPS etc could ship a handgun or rifle.

I haven't done this is years so my advise to you would be to: consult the book of armaments, IE aka batfe red, yellow, blue book.
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2019, 17:24   #6
Grunt
Registered

Thanks for the replies. Still looking for a drop off idea. I know the interstate laws about crossing a no guns state is ok as long as they are locked up and inaccessible as long you don't stop in the state. I would be worried about breaking down or getting in an accident in someplace like NJ and then the interstate transit law might not apply or cost you thousands for a lawyer to protect yourself over it. I may leave the AR at home to reduce the hassle but a shotgun would be nice for bear or other dangerous types. I plan on using the Gun law apps for checking each state before I go. If people have other ideas I am all ears.
Old November 17, 2019, 17:36   #7
NFADLR
Registered

There is FOPA but in real usage I dont think the states not signatory on our ccw's GAF about it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire...Protection_Act
Old November 17, 2019, 18:12   #8
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 15514
Well, you never know. A lot has happened since this but........
https://www.inquisitr.com/1104930/ma...for-legal-gun/
C2A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2019, 18:14   #9
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
Thanks for the replies. Still looking for a drop off idea. I know the interstate laws about crossing a no guns state is ok as long as they are locked up and inaccessible as long you don't stop in the state. I would be worried about breaking down or getting in an accident in someplace like NJ and then the interstate transit law might not apply or cost you thousands for a lawyer to protect yourself over it. I may leave the AR at home to reduce the hassle but a shotgun would be nice for bear or other dangerous types. I plan on using the Gun law apps for checking each state before I go. If people have other ideas I am all ears.
So the gun store or gunsmith might be able to take the gun for you....but....
might not be able to hand it back to you. Probably creates an issue...check out all the rules first.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2019, 18:25   #10
frankxtc
Registered

FALaholic #: 10952
I keep an 870 in the RV, that is all. Shotgun w/ limited mag capacity (I don't remember, 3 rounds? 5 rounds?) seemed to be OK in most states.
However:
I will only cross the border into the communist controlled states under DURESS.
Drove from Fla. to Alaska in May, had to stay on the highway that touched Il. for over 100 miles. Worst part was Wa., but I had to drive the RV on to the Alaska ferry, leaving from Bellingham. Tried to minimize the time spent in Wa. Escaped unharmed.
Completely avoided Canada, was warned that even though I could declare the shotgun, they would find ways to harass, and $$$$ fine, because of me being a male, gun owner, veteran, CCW holder, Fl resident. F them.
I do not go in for collecting guns.
I never buy a gun unless I really need it.
As a matter of fact, I really only need about a dozen, or possibly fourteen, more guns than I have now.
frankxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2019, 18:30   #11
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Any time or money spent in a blue state is a donation to bastards wanting to remove our rights...

Plenty of nice red states to visit.

Old November 17, 2019, 18:47   #12
Snake Bitten
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13425
Some policies like lawshield or similar for CCW, CHL, LTC, ect., holders have out of state options when traveling. I would consider this if I was an RV'er and planning on packing my carry....

Guns have two enemies: Rust and Politicians
Snake Bitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2019, 19:01   #13
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
I plan on going on long RV trips with firearms across many state lines. I have a CCW License but some states are just looking for any excuse to arrest you like NJ,NY and California. Other than just don't go there or hide it good and hope they don't find it answers I was looking for ideas on places I could store the weapons just outside the border. One idea I have heard is dropping your weapons off at a Gun shop and paying them to store it or clean it and then picking it up again after you have crossed the border. I would like to bring an AR,Shotgun and pistol on my travels so keep that in mind in your answers. The storage time would be two weeks or less and usually in different places all over the US. Would Mailing or shipping be an idea ? Who could I mail it to be held while I travel and pick it up on the outbound leg from the state. Any Ideas would be appreciated.
I don't carry concealed, but if I did...Concealed means concealed. Getting caught in a life or death situation without a way to save your life would suck worse than saving your life and being arrested for it. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Forget about the drop off. Keep a low profile, don't cause trouble, don't get arrested, and I'm sure you'll be just fine. Plenty of folks live by this simple rule. If you are worried, lock them in a hard case, and put them in your trunk. And, don't give anybody any reason to look in your trunk.

I would not, under any circumstances, bring prohibited weapons into other Countries like Canada or Mexico.

Last edited by Randall; November 17, 2019 at 19:07.
Randall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2019, 19:03   #14
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Any time or money spent in a blue state is a donation to bastards wanting to remove our rights...

Plenty of nice red states to visit.
How did we get red and the dimwitz get blue?
Old November 17, 2019, 19:55   #15
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
The local Okie popo told me it’s OK to have a A.R. 15 or such in your vehicle but it must not have a round chambered But the magazine can be inserted. There are still some idiots out here in the state government
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2019, 20:06   #16
NFADLR
Registered

Really you didnt know ?

Coin toss before the game started..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsuta View Post
Old November 17, 2019, 20:42   #17
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Federal firearms transport act.

If it's legal where you start and finish you can bring it THROUGH states where it's not if locked up and unloaded.

I MIGHT of driven through some areas with a locking suitcase sitting on the passenger seat a few times.

Back when I rode motorcycles I had a Givi locking box.
cut down a Winchester model 12 (all model 12's are take down) fit it.

2 inches off the Boyd's replacement stock and the 19" barrel with XS big dots was the longest part.

legal in all 50 states and a comfort by my campfire a few times in bear country.

J frame and 1911, or tap your stash of 10 round mags bought cheap for that purpose....

And good to go.

You can stop overnight, but can't stop off and visit great aunt Mable....
But is the guy who pulled you over gonna know?
Old November 17, 2019, 20:51   #18
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
We choked them till they turned blue and we got red faced from the effort??????

Old November 17, 2019, 21:14   #19
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
tap your stash of 10 round mags bought cheap for that purpose....
Oh, so THAT is why I bought (and keep around) those damn silly 10 round Glock mags.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2019, 21:39   #20
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Oh, so THAT is why I bought (and keep around) those damn silly 10 round Glock mags.
I bought them because they were free to $5... And they still hold ammo.

But yes, that's a use for them.
I actually collected some different color followers to make it easy.
Old November 18, 2019, 00:17   #21
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
No reason to go to the PRNJ for any reason and NY only long enough to get to New England.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2019, 17:39   #22
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
Smoking is also not allowed at any NYS run State Park, besides guns. KOA's are ok to smoke at, maybe.

Having a running shoot out/robbery while on the road is unlikely; only while parked at a simple pull off bathroom area, then only near large urban cities.

Plan safe routes; keep shotgun so that it can be grabbed behind a closet door with pushbutton code, door lock.

Unless cops go looking for guns or drugs on a known, drug transport Interstate highway, like those leading out of Colorado............. concealed carry is best, up to a strip search/frisk. GET MULTIPLE STATE CC LICENSES.

Leaving guns at an FFL, means a NICS check each time, FOR LONG GUNS, and NO PISTOLS CAN BE RETURNED TO YOU, ONLY TO YOUR LOCAL FFL IN YOUR STATE.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 00:15   #23
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
No pistols or military style semi auto rifles in Canada. Period. With the one exception being the SKS. Probably for the same reason I keep them: they’re not scary and don’t make snowflakes melt.

They’re cool with shotguns and Fudd (hunting) rifles, but that’s it.

The wife and I drop our stuff at a good friend’s in Minot before we cross to see family. Even then we get searched, every single time.
Old November 19, 2019, 16:39   #24
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Take guns legal everywhere... 6-shot revolvers, pump shotguns, and lever guns. All are plenty adequate for personal and home (RV) defense.

To go into Cali with a "normal" AR is asking for trouble. Remember your capacity limitations as well for all.

I now plan my vacations where my CC is welcomed. If a state doesn't respect 1 part of the Constitution, what makes one believe they'll respect any others? I'll give my $$$ to those that support freedom, fugg the rest.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 18:01   #25
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
It was chosen specifically by the left to confuse the relationship between "Reds" and Communists.
Old November 19, 2019, 18:01   #26
djfin
Registered

FALaholic #: 62265
Quote:
Originally Posted by V guy View Post
Smoking is also not allowed at any NYS run State Park, besides guns. KOA's are ok to smoke at, maybe.

Having a running shoot out/robbery while on the road is unlikely; only while parked at a simple pull off bathroom area, then only near large urban cities.

Plan safe routes; keep shotgun so that it can be grabbed behind a closet door with pushbutton code, door lock.

Unless cops go looking for guns or drugs on a known, drug transport Interstate highway, like those leading out of Colorado............. concealed carry is best, up to a strip search/frisk. GET MULTIPLE STATE CC LICENSES.

Leaving guns at an FFL, means a NICS check each time, FOR LONG GUNS, and NO PISTOLS CAN BE RETURNED TO YOU, ONLY TO YOUR LOCAL FFL IN YOUR STATE.
. Not if dropped off for any type of service work which does include a clean an oil. Still a waste of money. As noted earlier if it’s legal at both ends of your trip it’s legal to transport them . Just be careful in the really stupid states like NY and NJ
djfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 18:49   #27
Grunt
Registered

Well thanks for all the replies. I will avoid the NJ and NY areas as much as possible with firearms. I am not going to boycott them completely because there is too much to see in those states to not go there to just protest their laws when no one will know or care there. I will double check on Gunsmiths inspecting or cleaning my guns just outside of enemy territory and picking them up a week or so later on my way out. I have friends in AZ so I can drop them off for California trips. I have seen where Alaska and Colorado have mandatory random vehicle inspections of RV's for Fruit and insects. Saw one video where police set up drug checkpoints/ speed traps using any excuse like burned out marker lights on a RV to stop and chat with motorists. At the end the female trooper asked if she could look inside the RV because she had always wanted to see what they looked like inside. The driver stood firm but friendly and she admitted they were trolling for drug runners using any excuse to get consent to search vehicles. I don't plan on going to jail to prove a point about guns laws by carrying illegally. All the internet jail house lawyers who say to carry illegal and hope you don't get caught won't pay my legal fees or take my place in the cell. Thanks for the input.
Old November 20, 2019, 19:58   #28
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Best way to travel thru NY and Eastern States, is with OBAMA-BIDEN, or "HILLARY 2016" stickers ON REAR OF VEHICLE.

Guarantee----NO STOPS.
Old November 21, 2019, 04:47   #29
Andraste
Registered

FALaholic #: 80827
Quote:
Originally Posted by V guy View Post
Best way to travel thru NY and Eastern States, is with OBAMA-BIDEN, or "HILLARY 2016" stickers ON REAR OF VEHICLE.

Guarantee----NO STOPS.
Just to be on the safe side add a rainbow and green is clean sticker.
Don't forget about the current protected species in those places. No one has ever checked up a transwomans dress for a CCW. If by chance Grunt is the first "she" can be the first trans woman to join the #metoo movement and make enough bank to pay for this trip and the next.

I hope Grunt has an awesome trip. It really sucks that freedoms infringed upon can dampen an epic road trip adventure.
Andraste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2019, 14:10   #30
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

My 2 local FFL's say................ that if THEY take a gun in on consignment or for repairs, FROM A PERSON, not by mail, they log it in.

BOOK GUN NOW.

Law says that NICS is not exactly required, and that the FFL has the option to return that potentially stolen gun to the person who dropped it off, or not...but is at the sole discretion of the FFL to hand the guns over to out of state "MR. IN BETWEEN", without a NICS check.
Plan on a NICS check.

ON RETURN, my FFL guys, must do a NICS check to make sure that the owner who dropped it off originally..... COULD LEGALLY OWN THAT GUN, in NYS, because that gun being dropped off for cleaning and oiling, COULD BE STOLEN, and the guy who found that the gun would not operate, and was having it repaired to do another crime.

Even if the gunsmith/FFL knows you personally..........................NICS CHECK TIME.

How many guns are you going to carry to protect yourself?

A NC FFL might naturally figure you robbed some guys house before going on the road, and are going to sell them on the road, after having them all checked out.

Cleaning and oiling? Come on. FFL's are wise to that stuff.
Old November 24, 2019, 01:33   #31
Grunt
Registered

V-Guy That is helpful. I would not be trying to fool anyone just having them store the weapon while I am in a State that was gun restrictive. I am trying not to violate their stupid restrictions. I would not be using a NY gunsmith maybe a PA gunsmith before going into NY then picking it up a couple weeks later on the way out. I dont plan on going there very often I just hate to leave my guns behind for a long trip just because I want to see New England for a short time during a long trip to the East Coast. NICS checks don't bother me because I am a law abiding citizen and I am sure they know most of the guns I own or used to own anyway. I will check a few gunsmiths. I will look into shipping the guns to a UPS shop and have them hold it for pick up. I just worry about them being stolen or lost in shipping. It just is such a shame that trying to do the right thing is made so difficult and expensive. Thanks for the input.