The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old November 13, 2019, 22:24   #101
jjjxlr8
Registered

FALaholic #: 34903
I just ordered a neck sizing die..... and some new calipers! This cheap primed brass just got a little more expensive. Ha!
jjjxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2019, 22:38   #102
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2019, 11:27   #103
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Someone mentioned on last pa for example they never use small base dies. I always use small base dies especially since recently replaced most of my dies for loading repeating rifle rounds with the RCBS AR Series Dies as all are small base. Especially when loading once fired bought in bulk or given to me am unsure if run through a generously sized machine gun chamber. My nicer turn bolts neck size only as want case to fit rifle it's loaded for nicely as possible.

As to crimping rifle cases I crimp about 30% of my SHTF/hoarding rounds very lightly with a factory taper crimp die. Have a full collection of Lee Factory Crimp Dies in almost every handgun and rifle caliber I load but except for full power straight wall pistol loads they seldom get used. Now when I am loading ammo that will most likely be stored till after I die or we have complete collapse of society I use Redding Micro-Adjustable Taper Crimp Dies as can adjust in a very, very minimal crimp that does not negatively affect accuracy and then I use sealant around meeting of case neck and bullet cannelure plus primer then store in acid free cardboard boxes in steel cans with gaskets that are purged with nitrogen and RTV silicone lightly smeared on gasket. Have opened cans that put up over twenty years ago which ammo looked just like it did when put up and all runs 100% reliable and accurate.

That said when loading range ammo for repeaters seldom crimp even new or pull down brass as even if buy new primed brass pull the depriming stem then bump shoulders and neck size to ensure proper headspace and tension thus no need to crimp. I seat more bullets in a single stage than most even with a passel of progressives just so I can feel how bullet seats. To crimp or not is each persons decision but as W.E.G. says if try pushing a few random bullets into case against something solid and they don't move then crimping is a wasted step. If they do slip back in case then need to look back at loading process and discover why but a light taper crimp can at least save pulling down 1,000 slightly loose projectiles.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2019, 01:21   #104
jjjxlr8
Registered

FALaholic #: 34903
Tried out my new calipers and all the bullets are measuring .3085". I suppose that is what they are supposed to measure.

The loaded case necks are measuring .339" - .340" and the unloaded case necks without sizing are measuring around .338", but many are not perfectly round. After neck sizing with my new RCBS die the unloaded necks measure a pretty consistent .336".
jjjxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote