Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old September 20, 2019, 17:28   #1
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 536
Anyone here have a Galil Ace?

I'm bored with AR's I have about a dozen of them & I'm thinking about adding a Galil Ace in 5.56 to the collection. What do you guys think of them? I'm on the fence because they are expensive, other than looking cool is there anything they will do that an AR won't? I'm thinking no but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here.
Thanks in advance, Mick

Anonymous
The FAL is not a "platform".
It is a lady-lookin' foreign made collection of sexy Belgian curves that intimidates the shit out of today's Pajama-boy males.

It's not an Assault Rifle, it a Sport Utility Rifle
Near Sighted Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2019, 11:49   #2
LKY_13
Sig Sauer Me
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41000
Thumbs up

A SiG 551 is the Holy Grail you're searching for. Not cheap. However, even one of the early SiG 556's with Swiss parts will nicely scratch the itch. Assuming you can find one. They are few in number. However, I do see them pop-up from time to time if you know what to look for. With one you can build a facsimile of the original.

LKY_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2019, 15:55   #3
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Personally, I found them to be underwhelming. In a 5.56 I’d just as soon shoot an AR, .308 would be another story though. That’s the only caliber in the ACE that has appealed to me.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2019, 20:11   #4
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
I have been very interested in an Ace chambered in 7.62x39.
Old September 24, 2019, 15:04   #5
JMC
Registered

FALaholic #: 70862
I put a KNs piston in my pistol. That, along with a modified four piece muzzle device make it more pleasant to shoot. It seems well made and runs fine. I too think the .308 would be interesting.
JMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2019, 21:50   #6
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Bought a 308 "blem" pretty cheap. Very nice rifle, but the 5.56 will have to be pretty darn cheap for me to bite, and it's not.
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2019, 22:05   #7
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKY_13 View Post
A SiG 551 is the Holy Grail you're searching for. Not cheap. However, even one of the early SiG 556's with Swiss parts will nicely scratch the itch. Assuming you can find one. They are few in number. However, I do see them pop-up from time to time if you know what to look for. With one you can build a facsimile of the original.

I do have a Sig 556 that I bought used for cheap [$699 IIRC] runs great, slight rattle in the HG's, that doesn't really bother me. I really do love that rifle. I just missed 2 551's in the past few months, 1 in our MP the other over on barfcom. I would love to add one of those to the collection some day.
Yours is very nice. Thanks for the pic

Anonymous
It is a lady-lookin' foreign made collection of sexy Belgian curves that intimidates the shit out of today's Pajama-boy males.

Old September 24, 2019, 22:09   #8
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
Bought a 308 "blem" pretty cheap. Very nice rifle, but the 5.56 will have to be pretty darn cheap for me to bite, and it's not.
I had one in .308, wish I hadn't sold that one. Can't find them in stock anywhere. I think I'll pass on the 5.56
Thanks guys

Anonymous

Old September 26, 2019, 23:38   #9
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Five large vaults, multiple smaller safes and many that will only fit piled in steel job boxes bolted to floor I have quit trying to collect and have an example of everything. Even considering selling my HK 91/G3s and other nice MBRs along with Light Fighter Rifles. Considering a big sale of many rifles that have good value even in soft market to raise cash and fatten up a fleet of just a few varients but in many cartridges and many configurations.

AR 10 fleet, have nine with pair of receivers and really want to experiment with variety of cartridges and comfiguratioms. M1a/M14 fleet, have pair of Basics, Standard, 18" SOCOM, Loaded, National Match and Super Match all in 7.62×51 but only one 6.5 Loaded which needs rectified. Want National Match(s), Super Match(s), SOCOM and others in 6.5 Creedmoor. Mini 14s, have a boatload even an NFC AC 556 GB folder plus A-Team stainless folders, standard GBs, ranch rifles, semi customs and full customs in 5.56 but now need to recreate as many as possible in 6.8. Even acquired a stainless GB folder stock to drop a 6.8 in along with pair of 6.8 Ranch Rifles that due to rarity and condition will remain vault queens. Will have to build or modify some semi customs, full custom tack drivers and other configurations in 6.8 clones of 5.56 versions.

Will always be adding AR 15s to the fleet of over 50 at this point (conservative estimate) nor will I sell any of my FN FALs or L1a1s. Everyone needs a pile of very heavy 2 MOA to 3 MOA clunkers that are elegant in a special way and go bang whenever pull the trigger. Probably keep a few AKs and SKSs but most of the preban hoard needs to gunbroker themselves to ban states.

Have to decide if keep rifles like CETMEs which all of mine are hand selected from piles where usually buy one of five I inspect and get best examples can find cheap. Average seller doesn't know if has a nice one or complete drunken monkey on a hangover day example. Just got a supply of G3 bolts and carriers, assorted rollers and spare parts due to mini fleet of them appearing over past few years. Believe since low value in current market rifles if hold and add when bans on new rifles added to market appear they will climb in value fast if had foresight to buy 20 $4.99 magazines per rifle plus ammo. Am actually considering digging into one to see how much better can make it shoot.

Sold so many nice rifles during cancer scare a total rebuild of collection is near impossible and keep playing with AR 10's like my 6XCs which hold their own at 1,000 yards. All the variations possible with AR 15s and AR 10s figure make that a priority and be hard to go wrong with current build and buy prices. Have some nice and rare MBRs may be hard to part with but if dot go got hinky about them rather have plies of American rifles, especially M1a/Minis with no pistol grips or other evil features.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2019, 09:01   #10
Uncle Mick
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 72942
I just got in a Galil ACE in 5.56. It's built like a Swiss watch. Without a doubt the most accurate AK type I have ever fired. Still, I can't see anything it will do that a decent AR won't do. But I like it, and I don't think it is likely to lose any value should I ever decide to sell it (But I've been wrong about that before.)

[IMG][/IMG]
Uncle Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2019, 11:15   #11
fly2.0
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 79608
I don't have the ACE , But my 11.5'' Micro Built by ''Jeff '' on a CNC Warrior receiver , is very very accurate . Run any ammo through it . NO PROBLEM !

Update ; HG came in .

((( Micro Galil / Colt )))

Last edited by fly2.0; November 11, 2019 at 23:01.
fly2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2019, 16:38   #12
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
I got the itch for an Ace in 7.62 myself. No real good reason other than just because, which is usually enough to overrun the worn-down nub of a speed bump that used to be known as my better judgement.

I’m saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about what’s enough. And for God’s sake, think about who you are.” - J. Bogle

Last edited by Tuhlmann; September 29, 2019 at 20:49.
Tuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2019, 18:21   #13
PvtJoker
Registered

FALaholic #: 41679
Had a .308 Galil ACE rifle and sold it. It was a well built rifle but it just didn't suit me for shooting it. Only Galil I have now is my 7.62x39 pistol that I have converted over to modernized type of Micro Galil (but in 7.62x39) and I love the way it shoots and handles.

As far as 5.56 goes, at the moment I have a Tavor SAR that covers that caliber pretty well. Plus even though it is short, it still has a 16.1" barrel that lets the 5.56 perform well.
PvtJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 08, 2019, 01:51   #14
mullicrk
Registered

FALaholic #: 75665
Hey man, I bought your 308 Very well built rifle as to be expected. I dont know much about AR rifles as I own none. They dont do nothing for me.

I own a couple 556 aces and they are really nice to shoot. Not so over gassed as the 308 or x39 models. By the way I had fix the gas on the 308 I got from you. They come so overgassed its no wonder they had to make a brake to help.

One thing Im doing again is pulling the barrel on one of my 7.62x39 ACES and installing a 556 1-7 IMI barrel. Did this before on a 7.62x39 blem and its one of my sons favorite rifles. Runs steel Galil mags and looks like a ACE 23 minus the shortened rails and Bayo lug. Runs so nice too

Not exactly a switch barrel but if you have the itch for something different then that could be what you want too
mullicrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 08, 2019, 15:00   #15
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
Thumbs up on the Galil Ace rifles. I don't own one, but I have owned an original Galil ARM and it was a great shooting and handling weapon. Sadly, in a fit of dumbness, I let it get away. If the Ace is anything like the ARM, then go for it and don't look back. Damn... I wish I had a time machine.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 08, 2019, 17:58   #16
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah Lee View Post
Thumbs up on the Galil Ace rifles. I don't own one, but I have owned an original Galil ARM and it was a great shooting and handling weapon. Sadly, in a fit of dumbness, I let it get away. If the Ace is anything like the ARM, then go for it and don't look back. Damn... I wish I had a time machine.
The pre-ban IMI guns are fantastic. Especially the ARM in 7.62, but comparing one of those to the ACE is kind-of a stretch IMO.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2019, 09:21   #17
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
I have read that the Ace lower receiver is made from polymer rather than being milled steel, as with the ARM. I'm sure that provides a welcomed weight reduction, but then again, I wonder about overall strength and integrity of the rifle as a whole. Do you guys think using polymer lowers on the Ace would be comparable to using polymer on, let's say, an AR-15?
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2019, 00:13   #18
mullicrk
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah Lee View Post
I have read that the Ace lower receiver is made from polymer rather than being milled steel, as with the ARM. I'm sure that provides a welcomed weight reduction, but then again, I wonder about overall strength and integrity of the rifle as a whole. Do you guys think using polymer lowers on the Ace would be comparable to using polymer on, let's say, an AR-15?
There is no lower. Its rather a fixture for the Pistol grip and extension for the magwell.

The receiver is milled from a solid piece of high grade steel.

If you ever seen a Micro Galil receiver then you have a good visual of the ACE receiver. The front end has a lower radius cut like the old micros and there is a lightening cut that can differ from IMI, Indumil and the US domestic sold product but besides that the receivers are really spot on in dimensions as the classic galil.

The 308 model has some different dimensions in the magwell but a IMI mag say from 1986 will snap right in.

556 model ACEs will also accept steel galil mags though you would need to add a mag catch and trigger guard.

7.62x39 models will also accept the steel galil mags and with the lower fixture off they will snap in. These caliber rifles are excellant to build a military 21 series clones out of.

Bolt, carrier, cover, tubes, trigger groups will interchange between old and new models.

Stock side knuckle and stock will interchange between new and old.

Gas block journal....same as old Galil.

Im sure Im boring all of you already

So really when this new ace came out, its really a more refined version of the old Galil. Machine work is much better. Some aesthetics have changed but your essentially buying a upgraded Galil.

SO for instance if you ever wanted a micro Galil but said to yourself its just too dam expensive....Well buy a ACE pistol, same dimensions, better action, same twist rate. Old micro handguards will will with little effort. Gas tube, old top cover will fit right on it.

Maybe you have a old Micro and wanted a railed cover and gas tube like the new ace pistol? Same thing here just use a 556 or x39 cover and tube.

No big secrets here guys, get em while their hot.....

[=http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/mullicrk12/media/Photobucket%20download%20file/1_zpsm3cyluav.jpg.html]

[=http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/mullicrk12/media/Photobucket%20download%20file/Ace%20Carbine_zpsfpwymeud.jpg.html]
Old October 10, 2019, 00:21   #19
mullicrk
Registered

Food for thought

[=https://s1382.photobucket.com/user/mullicrk12/media/IMG_20181206_094651_zpshrjobgiq.jpg.html]

[=http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/mullicrk12/media/IMG_20181130_235022_zpsehjipvgt.jpg.html]

[=http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/mullicrk12/media/0c15cabe-a014-48db-bf41-49b4ee200f52_zpsfgsf4ceb.jpg.html]

[=http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/mullicrk12/media/IMG_20181130_233754-0_zpsjfhhkmex.jpg.html]
Old October 10, 2019, 00:24   #20
mullicrk
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
The pre-ban IMI guns are fantastic. Especially the ARM in 7.62, but comparing one of those to the ACE is kind-of a stretch IMO.
IMO in terms of accuracy and refinements the new ACE will smack the prebans like a little bitch but outside of that I love the old Galils.
Old October 12, 2019, 21:15   #21
Whoblewyou
Registered

FALaholic #: 82954
OP. I have a 8.3” in 556. Very well built and smooth. A little heavy for what it is. Trigger has a bit of take up then nice break. But mine is a little heavy. Don’t know exactly. Never bought a trigger scale.

I’ve shoot the “16 x39 and it was ok. I prefer my SAM7SF & VZ58 to the Ace in x39.
Whoblewyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2019, 23:40   #22
CTW
Registered

FALaholic #: 41894
I don't own one but we got to shoot one quite a bit at the NFA Review shoot. The Mrs. did pretty well with it for her first time handling one. I enjoyed shooting it as well. I also had fun shooting the Tavor 7 in 7.62. Not sure what the 5.56 ACE sells for, but I thought it was a pretty nice rifle. The folks at the IWI booth were really friendly too.

https://imgur.com/2grZ2nM

Last edited by CTW; October 12, 2019 at 23:48.
CTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2019, 23:04   #23
fly2.0
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 79608
update ;

((( Micro Galil / Colt )))
fly2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote