The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old October 31, 2019, 03:20   #1
C. Stockwell
Registered

FALaholic #: 82337
Modern 16" Carbine

I'm thinking about building a modern 16" carbine FAL build with a collapsible stock. Here's my intended "big" parts list:

*Imbel upper
*DSA Para lower
*FAB Defense M4-style collapsible stock w/cheek riser
*DSA Short Length gas system pic-rail handguard (part no. 021FASC-A)
*DSA Para scope mount pic-rail (part no. 620AP-A)
*M249-style pistol grip
*DSA short gas system + 16" fluted barrel (part no. 00116TAC008-A)
*Precision Armament AR .308 M4-72 muzzle brake

Thoughts?

Last edited by C. Stockwell; October 31, 2019 at 04:06.
C. Stockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2019, 05:38   #2
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
I have a factory built DSA tactical carbine. My big observation with it is you have to be mindful of where you place your thumb on the hand guard. You absolutely can not wrap your thumb over the hand guard because of where the regulator is. The hand guard also gets toasty very quick. I have an AFG mounted up there to help with heat and to break the thumb habit from shooting AR’s.

I do love the entire setup as a whole though. I set mine up for 3 gun. It maneuvers well, and with that brake it has very light recoil. Double tapping steel at 100 yards is quite doable.

fuel fire desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2019, 05:49   #3
C. Stockwell
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel fire desire View Post
I have a factory built DSA tactical carbine. My big observation with it is you have to be mindful of where you place your thumb on the hand guard. You absolutely can not wrap your thumb over the hand guard because of where the regulator is. The hand guard also gets toasty very quick. I have an AFG mounted up there to help with heat and to break the thumb habit from shooting ARs.

I do love the entire setup as a whole though. I set mine up for 3 gun. It maneuvers well, and with that brake it has very light recoil. Double tapping steel at 100 yards is quite doable.
There's a bit of flame there

I also intend to try this setup in 3-gun. I was thinking of putting on a bipod or a vertical fore grip and just running open class. There's not many guys running in open anyways where I am. I would imagine a v-grip or a bipod would prevent me from getting singed.
Old October 31, 2019, 06:01   #4
Lee Carpentieri
Registered

FALaholic #: 4936
Gas pressure

Allot of times it just requires a adjustment of the gas regulator. Another thing is having a Rail system with a vertical grip versus the V grip. Or at least using nomex gloves to keep the Heat/gas pressure off your hand and thumbs. I have a Full-auto transferable OSW Fal with a Folding stock and I have a DSA short rail system with a vertical grip on it to keep the heat off my left hand.

fuel fire desire, What type of ammo are you using to create that type of Flash?
Old October 31, 2019, 06:27   #5
fuel fire desire
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Carpentieri View Post

fuel fire desire, What type of ammo are you using to create that type of Flash?

Steel case Tula. That was about 10 rounds before I had a kaboom. It was loaded hot, and a case head failed. Blew the magazine apart.

PSA: dont shoot steel.
Old October 31, 2019, 07:53   #6
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
You can always handload to get more flash by choosing the right powder
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2019, 08:16   #7
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Ive had to use most of the available windage or elevation adjustment to basic-zero the optic I installed on two different FALs.

Just as a heads up.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2019, 15:49   #8
C. Stockwell
Registered

Does anyone have a FAB Defense M4-style stock? That's something I'm very curious about, especially with the cheek riser.
Old November 07, 2019, 18:14   #9
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
For what that's going to cost you'd be pretty close to SCAR cost.

I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.

The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it. Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2019, 18:26   #10
fuel fire desire
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
For what that's going to cost you'd be pretty close to SCAR cost.
With optic Im in about $2500-$2800. If I went with a para and a SCAR stock Id be right in the same range.
Old November 07, 2019, 21:54   #11
madmike262
Registered

FALaholic #: 82370
16 "Carbine

Fuel Fire what scope do you have on yours.
madmike262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2019, 23:21   #12
fuel fire desire
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike262 View Post
Fuel Fire what scope do you have on yours.
Vortex PST 1-4x in MOA. At 1x it’s a true 1x with no fisheye. The reticle is very eotech-like. Works great for rapid acquisition of steel targets. I love it. It is heavy though, and if I slam the scope as low as it will go on the rail, the big windage turret interferes with ejection and causes malfunctions. Which is why I have it on a high AR style mount with a raised comb. Brass was hitting the turret and bouncing back into the open bolt.

Old November 08, 2019, 09:55   #13
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel fire desire View Post
My ears are still ringing after seeing this photo.

Molon labe
easttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2019, 15:16   #14
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151

Muzzle blast as reported and viewed from the International Space Station. Imagine repelling home invaders late one night by firing off a round or two inside the house with that setup. Kills on both ends. That would definitely knock the daisies off the wallpaper.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2019, 17:57   #15
fuel fire desire
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah Lee View Post

Muzzle blast as reported and viewed from the International Space Station. Imagine repelling home invaders late one night by firing off a round or two inside the house with that setup. Kills on both ends. That would definitely knock the daisies off the wallpaper.
Still not as loud as my AR pistol.

I also have an RFB, which has another 2 of barrel, and I get nowhere near the blast, even though the muzzle is much closer to my face (though, it does not have a brake, just a flash hider).

The FAL carbine is definitely an outdoor only gun.
Old November 08, 2019, 23:33   #16
Lee Carpentieri
Registered

FALaholic #: 4936
Tula ammo warning

If you read about Tula here on the Fal Files and what DSA say's on their web site, Nobody recommends it at all.

Tula's Gun powder is reformulated tank and Artillery powder and is total shit for gun powder and is about the cheapest shit ammo on the market.

When East Germany and West Germany reunited, The first thing Germany did was take away all the old AK ammo and sold it to some German companies that reformulated it into Fertilizer and was sold all over the EU.
Old November 14, 2019, 13:11   #17
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Have indoor range set up at work that bullet traps will stop up to 7.62x39 loaded with cast bullets & 44 magnum full power loads. Set up a moving course with a half dozen stations had to move to and shoot from. Did not realize/notice one station was directly under a smoke detector on monitored alarm system. Was running course with unlimited IPSC pistol using major power factor ammo and vertical blast from compensator actually blew smoke detector apart and was hanging by wires from ceiling.

I never noticed alarm went off as horn ins outside and kept repeating course wearing my my 31 dB reduction muffs. Had at least four dozen magazines loaded in a big pile at first station so soon as ran entire course would stop timer, refill mag pouches with fresh magazines then hit button on timer and wait for beeper. Fire Department arrived to what sounded like full scale gun battle but most of my part time employees over the years have been off duty local firefighters.

Was intently running my drills when side door opened (lock all other doors when shoot and only trusted employees have key to side door) to see one of my guys walk in wearing full turn out gear. Cleared pistol and he waived rest of guys in. They told me had fire alarm to which I said had put covers on all smoke heads before shooting session. Fans do a good job but sensors are sensitive so my alarm company supplied me with a set of covers that snap over smoke heads when I am shooting in shop. Had no idea that the placement of one shooting station that day put port of compensator right under a smoke head or that port vented enough gas to destroy a covered smoke detector.

F.D. got a big kick out of it and now I have a big orange spot painted on floor under every smoke head so know not to shoot compensated pistols under them anymore. Due to first truck on scene hearing gunfire before truck with a part time employee showed cops were called and they got a good laugh at my expense as well and really seemed to like my setup. Told all I keep at least 1,000 rounds of 45 acp, 9mm, 40 Smith, 38 spcl and 44 spcl all the time. If want to shoot I am always looking for an excuse to take a shooting break. Stop by if my truck is there and ammo is free if their guns eat what I stock. Not uncommon to have cops on lunch break or fire fighters coming off morning clock out stop to help me burn my ammo up. Between friends, employees, random cops and firemen we burn a lot of caps at work. Nicest part is recover over 90% of lead from bullet traps to recast so primers & powder is only real cost to keep sharp & build friends in multiple departments from fire, sheriff's department and local P.D.

I was stunned to see how much damage a ported 10mm did to that smoke detector. Blew protective test cover off, broke unit loose from mount on ceiling and broke face off that normally have to rotate 1/3 of diameter to remove & clean sensor plus blew cover off battery compartment though we don't use batteries due to pulling power from wires going back to alarm panel. Going to have to swap my suppressor gas plug out of 16" short gas FAL for standard plug and get some video to see how much gas and flame is venting upwards from my shorty FAL. Interesting how many places a firearm can vent pressure that may not expect. Have video of my Superlative Arms piston drive AR 15s venting gas out front of gas block. Even my D.I. ARs with Superlative Arms adjustable gas blocks will spit a lot of excess gas and burnt powder out front of block rather back into operating system of rifle.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2019, 13:43   #18
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
My run & gun shorty FAL with Millett Designated Marksman 1-4x illuminated reticle and 1x red dot just in case don't have time to run the magnification down from 4x and need to engage a quick close in moving target.

Scope has this reticle:

Makes for a nice little general purpose rifle which wears an AAC 762SDN-6 suppressor 90% of the time.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote