Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition > Reloading Data

Notices

Old January 28, 2017, 10:23   #1
bubbagump
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 21705
Hornady AMAX Garand load

Ok, so Garand match coming up in a couple of months and I've decided to run out my stock of .30 caliber AMAX bullets and to reproduce, as closely as possible the performance of the Hornady .3006 ammunition they used to issue for the M1 match back in the day at Perry.

Those who have used it know that this ammunition can fairly be called magic at 200 yards. It is labeled at 2700 fps on the box and I'm gonna presume that's the nominal mV. Using IMR 4895 pulldown powder which allegedly follows IMR4064 load data i've built an initial batch of test loads at 47.0, 48.0 and 49.0 grains. Military cases, CCI primers. I'll post chrono data in a couple days when I get a chance to uncork 'em.

If anyone else has a pet load that approximates this Hornady load and cares to share it, toss it up I'd love to see it.
bubbagump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017, 18:04   #2
randy762ak
Registered

FALaholic #: 25888
From another web source -!

All case prep is the same,#1 F/L resize and deprime, LC and US Military brass will need the primer crimp removed either swaged or cut before being primed, Greek brass has a lite primer crimp that rolls away without swaging or cutting, Commercial brass there no crimp to worry about. #2 Trim to lenth 2.484 #3 chamfer and debur case mouth. case prep done.

135 Sierra Match King.
47.5grns IMR/H-4895
Primer: Winchester Large rifle or Wolf/Tula
COAL: 3.22-3.25
This is a great load for Garand Matches with the 03 Springfield and your M1 will recoil like a Ar/15 and still cycle the action. You can also sub in the 125 Speer TnT.

Any 168 or 175
46.5grns IMR/H-4895
Primer: same as above
COAL: 3.30 for the 168's 3.34 for the 175's
This is a clone load of Caliber .30 Match that everyone likes, what more can you say it just works.

Any 168 or 175
46.5grns Varget
This is the current Hornaday Match load with the 168 A-Max bullet issued for the Eastern/Western and Camp Perry Garand Matches.

Any 168 or 175
48grns IMR/H-4064
This is a classic known accuracy loading that has been in High-Power Service Rifle usage for so long most shooter can't remember that far back, It maybe old but it works.

I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel, the load development for the 03 Springfield and M1 rifle was done 60+ years ago, your more that welcome too play with these loads +/- .5grns as there mild for preasure, there so much left over airspace in the 30.06 case, your shoulder/rifle/target isn't going to know.

Read more: http://garandforum.proboards.com/thr...#ixzz4X6HSoWSJ
randy762ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017, 18:20   #3
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Pulldown power is NOT the same thing as commercial powder.

You really don't know what you've got until you work-up loads and run them over the chronograph.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017, 18:22   #4
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
There is no magic anything.

A good bullet from a good barrel usually produces good (enough) results.

The Hornady ammo they issued at Perry was a little on the warm side.

Your Garand has full-minute clicks. And its an as-issued Garand.
Don't expect to "dial it in" too fine. Unless you happen to get lucky, or you are willing to futz endlessly with the front sight, and your position is EXACTLY the same at the match as it was during testing, your group is going to be on one side of the 10 ring or the other.

Which means you're gonna leak some 9's.

Practice favoring the sight picture. If you can keep the group centered on the X-ring by favoring, you have a shot at cleaning the slow prone. If you start clicking those minute-clicks during the match, you will fall into mischief you don't want.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2017, 16:07   #5
bubbagump
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 21705
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
There is no magic anything.

A good bullet from a good barrel usually produces good (enough) results.

The Hornady ammo they issued at Perry was a little on the warm side.

Your Garand has full-minute clicks. And its an as-issued Garand.
Don't expect to "dial it in" too fine. Unless you happen to get lucky, or you are willing to futz endlessly with the front sight, and your position is EXACTLY the same at the match as it was during testing, your group is going to be on one side of the 10 ring or the other.

Which means you're gonna leak some 9's.

Practice favoring the sight picture. If you can keep the group centered on the X-ring by favoring, you have a shot at cleaning the slow prone. If you start clicking those minute-clicks during the match, you will fall into mischief you don't want.
Well mine has half minute clicks, in fact the one I am probably gonna use won the modified class outright at CP the first time they had a class for modified guns although I was not firing it at the time. Think that was 2009 or so. As I recall it brought home a 291 or thereabouts, I was a couple points back with my other modified class gun.

But yeah the Hornady M2, while it's marked Garand ammo is a bit hot. The stuff really groups up though if your gun is up to it, at least at the 200 yard line. What is odd is it never really has performed what I would call real well at distance, I'm thinking it might be something to do with those now-obsolete plastic tips. The Hogs switched to 2156 palma bullets the year we set the NTIT Garand record, that load remains the most accurate of anything I've used in an M1 although it's really too hot for a stock rifle.

I pulled my chrono data on Hornady's ammo and it does run right around 2700 with summertime temps. Not overly hot but definitely on the upper end for a 168 grain bullet, any hotter and I'd be wanting a schuster plug.
bubbagump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2019, 10:28   #6
Tim Dreas
Registered

FALaholic #: 17255
I spoke with somebody at Hornady and their most accurate load with the 168 grain Amax bullet was 46.3 grains of VV N135.

They didn't use this load for the factory loaded ammunition due to questionable supply of the VV powder.

Their second most accurate load was 46.8 grains of Varget.

This must be adjusted for the burning rate of the different lots of powder when weighing the actual powder charges in the factory ammo.

Some factory ammo has 47.5 grains of powder that looks like Varget.

Some of the factory ammo has less.

At one time, 47.5 grains of Varget was the maximum load with a 168 grain hollow pint listed by Hodgdon.

Hornady shows a maximum load of 47.0 grains of Varget. (which is a good load)

46.5 grains of Varget isn't bad, but can be a bit milder.

Hornady's listed maximum load of VV135 is 46.0 grains.

My personal load with 168 grain hollow points is 47.5 grains of IMR-4064.

Last edited by Tim Dreas; October 27, 2019 at 07:24.
Tim Dreas is offline   Reply With Quote