The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old March 21, 2019, 19:39   #1
ASA
Registered

FALaholic #: 82187
S&W pre 18 k22

I recently bought a pre 18 k22 from a friend. I know it's a nice gun, but I'm sort of a novice on this. What exactly does pre18 mean, as opposed to pre 17? How can I determine how old the gun is? I'll take a picture of the model # which is sort of strange. It has a "D" then just below that it has the numbers 66644, then below that it has a 4. From what investigation I've done, that doesn't make sense. It's a nice gun with just some minor wear. Looks like it might have been holstered some. Any input from anyone?
ASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2019, 19:56   #2
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
When introduced the revolver in question was called the .22 Combat Masterpiece. It was just a shorter barreled version of the K22 Masterpiece target revolver.

Then in 1957 S&W came out with model numbers for its handguns. The .22 Combat Masterpiece was now the Model 18 and still known by the original name.

The serial number will be found on the gun butt. The number 66644 is almost certainly an assembly number.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2019, 19:58   #3
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
General difference between the 17 and 18 are the barrels (17 at 6” with heavy profile, 18 at 4” with lighter profile). RB is absolutely correct regarding the model designations in 1957.

My dad gave me a 1968 Model 17 K-22 for my 17th bday back in 1998. Love that pistol. Finest .22 handguns ever manufactured IMO.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop! -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2019, 09:08   #4
jugrunner
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 19911
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
Finest wheelguns ever manufactured IMO.
Ok .. Fixed it for ya .. ..

even if they had not "sold out" to the damn government I wouldn't buy their new offerings .. !! .. Old is good in most cases .. I rarely buy past dash 3 on any model ..
Old March 22, 2019, 19:55   #5
ASA
Registered

FALaholic #: 82187
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugrunner View Post

even if they had not "sold out" to the damn government I wouldn't buy their new offerings .. !! .. Old is good in most cases .. I rarely buy past dash 3 on any model ..
New sounds good,but why would'nt you go it
ASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 02, 2019, 14:42   #6
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugrunner View Post

The only new S&Ws I’d buy entertain are the J-frame Airweight offerings.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop! -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote