Notices

Old May 25, 2015, 09:41   #1
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Please Remember them All.

Well,

One of my old friends stopped by last night, we were staff officers together at 7th ATC in Grafenwoehr, as the night wore on and the beers piled up we remembered some good friends that are no longer with us.

CPT Joel Cahill, Literally was the one CPT you would want with you when the chips were down.

http://thefallen.militarytimes.com/a...cahill/1299701

CPT Dave Boris, smartest guy I knew, could have been anything.

http://thefallen.militarytimes.com/s...x=0&Search.y=0

MAJ Brian Mescall, you name the shit job he volunteered to do it.

http://thefallen.militarytimes.com/a...escall/3899809

CPT Sean Sims, if it needed to be done Sean was the first guy in line

http://thefallen.militarytimes.com/a...-p-sims/508085

CSM Steve Faulkenburg, If dirty Steve wasn't involved in leading something it probably didnt need to be done.

http://thefallen.militarytimes.com/a...kenburg/501912

PFC Steven Walberg, he always wanted do something bigger and better.

http://thefallen.militarytimes.com/a...alberg/2694572

Fellas this is just a smattering of the Brothers friends and Soldiers we could remember. Heros are the ones that dont come home. Keep them all in your prayers.

Happy Memorial Day

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.

Last edited by Thorack; May 25, 2015 at 14:40.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015, 10:15   #2
Artful
Registered

FALaholic #: 10191

And a special thanks to all those who didn't get a choice . . .

Last edited by Artful; May 25, 2015 at 10:22.
Artful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015, 11:37   #3
TNAndy
Computer Geek
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64986
Andy Stern, vice president of the Beta Theta Pi Chapter at Tennessee while I was an advisor.
http://thefallen.militarytimes.com/m...k-stern/361228
He never wanted to be anything other than a Marine and a Beta.
Old May 28, 2016, 09:39   #4
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

Well,

Again please remember them all this weekend. Never let them fade away.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Old May 28, 2016, 09:52   #5
martin35
un muy viejo gringo
Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
Semper Fidelis,,, lest we forget
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2016, 11:10   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
My FIL Ed joined the Navy right after Pearl Harbor. His first ship went to the Mediterranean to support our troops there and then moved to the Atlantic for the D day landing. Ed was in the Higgins boat during the landing rescuing people in the water. After the landing they put him back on a gun with the crew to protect the ship from enemy planes.

Plane was spotted but they didn't give permission to fire in fear it might be American. It was a German and he dropped a bomb close enough to burst the the blister on the ship. After the German dropped the bomb he buzzed the ship close enough my FIL saw him flip the bird.

Ship goes for repairs and they sent Ed to the Nevada after they refloated it and off he went to the Pacific to fight the japs. He recounted one battle that he was strapped into his gun and the jap planes kept comming for days. Finally collapsed from exhaustion and they pulled him off the gun and put him on the deck with the dead guys. Ed was four years in the war and one of the finest men I ever met.

They way we remember the dead isn't with flowers, it's to tell their stories of what they did for us. May God bless all those who served for us and may we never forget what they have done.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2016, 13:43   #7
GOVT1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 9433
RIP, Brothers.
Old May 28, 2016, 14:49   #8
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
George S. Patton

Martin wrote in another post. "For some of us, Memorial Day comes more often than once a year." (in effect)

Yeah, it does that. I hate Memorial Day, but thankful we have it.
Old May 28, 2016, 15:23   #9
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Ken, Stevie, Big moose, jasper.
May their memory be a blessing.
G-D, keep your eye on moose.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2016, 18:06   #10
slavicshooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 74022
May their memories be eternal. Teach future generations to remember.~ss

Last edited by slavicshooter; May 28, 2016 at 18:15.
slavicshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2016, 20:24   #11
FALonious
In His Grip
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 51017
Thank You Sir!

Have a few cool pics of Grafenwoehr. Was there in 90'....for part of a day. Got to see a line of Leopard 2's on the firing line.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

T. E. Lawrence
FALonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2016, 20:57   #12
FALonious
In His Grip
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 51017
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

T. E. Lawrence

Last edited by FALonious; May 30, 2018 at 17:11.
FALonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017, 10:00   #13
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

Well,

Its time to thank God that we all got to know these fine individuals. Their time on this earth was too short. I will not let them be forgotten.

Thorack

Last edited by Thorack; May 26, 2017 at 10:06.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:41   #14
GOVT1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 9433
Many of us remember The Fallen throughout the year, but Memorial Day is a special day set aside for them.

16th Military Police Brigade (Airborne) had our annual Memorial Ceremony yesterday to honor the 161 Brothers and Sisters lost since 2000. That's an inordinately high number for one Brigade size element, but the OPTEMPO was VERY high for the last 17 years for them.

I make it a point of stopping by our BDE Memorial often, and just taking a moment to think about not only my close friends who's names are engraved there, but ALL of the men and women who are together on the granite oblisk.

This last week, several of their families visited us here at Ft Bragg, and there were some somber reflections but mostly a lot of smiles, hugs and laughs talking about their lives and the marks they've left on us.
Old May 26, 2017, 20:11   #15
Zimm
Registered

FALaholic #: 76302
My dad was a Seabee in war 2 in the pacific.he ran a dozer building landing strips.never told us anything but funny stories .said bad stuff wasn't worth remembering .did tell some funny stuff about stealing a jeep and taking it apart though.him and his best buddy started an excavation business when they came home.not very big but enough to raise family of 8kids on.his best friend married my moms sister.
Zimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017, 21:05   #16
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOVT1911 View Post
Many of us remember The Fallen throughout the year, but Memorial Day is a special day set aside for them.

16th Military Police Brigade (Airborne) had our annual Memorial Ceremony yesterday to honor the 161 Brothers and Sisters lost since 2000. That's an inordinately high number for one Brigade size element, but the OPTEMPO was VERY high for the last 17 years for them.

I make it a point of stopping by our BDE Memorial often, and just taking a moment to think about not only my close friends who's names are engraved there, but ALL of the men and women who are together on the granite oblisk.

This last week, several of their families visited us here at Ft Bragg, and there were some somber reflections but mostly a lot of smiles, hugs and laughs talking about their lives and the marks they've left on us.
45 plus years later, it never gets any easier.
May their memory be a blessing.
Airborne!

Old May 26, 2017, 21:30   #17
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
The debt we owe to all who served can never be repaid. For those who paid the price with their bodies, their health and their lives that is infinitely more true..
To those here who served, my most heartfelt appreciation. To those who have gone before, know from your place in Valhalla that you are remembered and honored.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017, 06:17   #18
Registered

FALaholic #: 66611
Semper Fi, Brothers.
1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017, 10:46   #19
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
I try to never let what they fought and died for, to be in vain.

Push back as they would want you to do..............against the scum who are trying to destroy us politically.

Wear the uniform if you can, and get in the faces of the opposition, silently and with pride.

I would want you to do so, if I had died.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017, 13:19   #20
martin35
un muy viejo gringo
Contributor

All we have, all we are and all we ever will be will be are the gifts of those who were willing to sacrifice all.
Old May 28, 2018, 05:35   #21
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

Well,

As the days grow longer and my memory grows shorter, I cant let these fine men and the memory of them be forgotten.

Thorack

Old May 28, 2018, 08:46   #22
croftonaviation
Living the dream
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64580
These men, their sacrifices and their families will be remembered today.

Thank you for sharing their story
"They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They had an American quality. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. After that, like the men of the Confederacy, they will become strangers. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear, like Shiloh and Valley Forge.”

James Michener, Tales of the South Pacific.
croftonaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018, 08:51   #23
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
As someone who served in Military Medicine, it's especially hard.
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018, 12:11   #24
SawbriarRips
Registered

FALaholic #: 63304
THANK YOU SIR, NOT FORGOTTEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post
Well,

As the days grow longer and my memory grows shorter, I cant let these fine men and the memory of them be forgotten.

Thorack

House to House: An Epic Memoir of War House to House: An Epic Memoir of War by Staff Sergeant David Bellavia

“All the sins I've committed, I've done them with one objective: to keep my men alive. Those kids in my squad, those kids of mine, they are everything. My wife doesn't understand this job or why I do it. My son is too young. My dad wouldn't get it if I tried to explain. My mom would have a heart attack. The need to keep my men alive makes everything else negotiable, and everyone and everything a potential threat.”
― Staff Sergeant David Bellavia, House to House: An Epic Memoir of War
SawbriarRips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018, 12:41   #25
Gary Harwell
Becoming Embittered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39460
Done, and other days too.
Gary Harwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018, 16:18   #26
martin35
un muy viejo gringo
Contributor

Spent some time remembering some old friends and old times,,,, soon enough I'll go back worrying about tomorrow.
Semper Fi
Old May 28, 2018, 16:26   #27
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Old May 28, 2018, 17:16   #28
medicmike
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018, 19:57   #29
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
It has been an especially rough Memorial Day this year.... been a flippin' wreck all week-end. I spent my day digging out and pulling stumps... worked myself till I could barely walk, with my kids running around and wife knocking out her own yard work.

I have two buddies watching down over me... One friend never had the chance to know what raising a family feels like, and the other left a wife and two kids behind.

They gave their lives so I can live mine. The role could have easily been reversed; it is simply how the cards fell. They would kick my ass for wondering why they left this earth, and not me (though it is a hard thought to shake). They would also kick my ass for drinking myself into a stupor. So, I shed some sweat and open a few bloody blisters in their memory every Memorial Day... and follow the day with a beer and a shot.
Old May 28, 2018, 21:42   #30
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
It has been an especially rough Memorial Day this year.... been a flippin' wreck all week-end. I spent my day digging out and pulling stumps... worked myself till I could barely walk, with my kids running around and wife knocking out her own yard work.

I have two buddies watching down over me... One friend never had the chance to know what raising a family feels like, and the other left a wife and two kids behind.

They gave their lives so I can live mine. The role could have easily been reversed; it is simply how the cards fell. They would kick my ass for wondering why they left this earth, and not me (though it is a hard thought to shake). They would also kick my ass for drinking myself into a stupor. So, I shed some sweat and open a few bloody blisters in their memory every Memorial Day... and follow the day with a beer and a shot.
Yep!

Old May 27, 2019, 07:32   #31
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

Well,

I will not let them be forgotten. Make today a day to remember.

Thorack

Old May 27, 2019, 13:48   #32
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
I have spent a lot of time today communicating with Marines from all over the country remembering our days at the DMZ in 1967. A hand salute to all no matter what service and also to the first respoder's and LE who give and receive so little thanks.
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019, 18:47   #33
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Let their sacrifice never be forgotten. Today you put away the reasons and causes. God Bless Them All.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019, 22:50   #34
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
My Uncle Gerard was a Marine aviation mechanic. Was with the first Marine aviation group at Guadalcanal. Survived the war until May 11, 1945 when he was killed as a result of the kamikaze attack on the USS Bunker Hill off of Okinawa. The report says he died of smoke inhalation. There are several videos of the USS Bunker Hill burning after the attack. Here are some of them.
Almost all of the boiler room engineers gave their lives to keep the ship moving.

https://youtu.be/Gz_rUyOY_JY

https://youtu.be/GMiG3jPYptY

https://youtu.be/KdSxW2Ad7hw

https://youtu.be/l4VMf2-ilm4

Godspeed Uncle Gerard.
Old May 28, 2019, 08:40   #35
Bug Tussell
Registered

FALaholic #: 2872
Old May 23, 2020, 00:28   #36
croftonaviation
Living the dream
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64580
I was getting ready to write about Memorial Day in another thread. I membered this one and wanted to remember these men as well.
"They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They had an American quality. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. After that, like the men of the Confederacy, they will become strangers. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear, like Shiloh and Valley Forge.”

James Michener, Tales of the South Pacific.
croftonaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 04:02   #37
Oz308
Registered

FALaholic #: 68280
Thank You.

D. Schmidt, USAAF, WW2, RIP.
D.J. McGilvray, United States Army, Korea, RIP.
R.M. West, USN, Korea, RIP.

You are missed.

Oz308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2020, 08:11   #38
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Captain Omar Humadi, late June 2010.