The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old May 11, 2020, 09:14   #1
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Privi Partisan

Thinking of buying some of this in 06 and 08, anyone shoot much of this ammo? Its military type ball ammo.

https://www.luckygunner.com/30-06-15...zan-500-rounds
Old May 11, 2020, 09:43   #2
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
I canít say that Iíve shot any of their 30-06 ammo, but Iíve shot (and reloaded) a LOT of their .38 Spl ammo over the years and Iíve always found it to be quality stuff.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!Ē -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2020, 09:51   #3
K. Funk
Retired Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I have shot 8mm, x54R, 8mm Lebel, 7.5 Swiss, 6.5 Carcano and some others. No issues. Haven't reloaded any brass yet, but soon.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2020, 10:14   #4
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
Have not shot any of their ammo but do use a fair amount of their brass. Especially 9.3X62mm. I have good luck with it when it comes to multiple reloads and it use to be cheaper than the other brands. Lately I see it's about on par with others.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2020, 10:16   #5
rowjimmy
Registered

FALaholic #: 21662
I've shot it in 5.56 and 7.62. ARFcom guys loved it in 5.56.

I think it's pretty well made, but the brass is nowhere as thick as LC if you're thinking multiple reloadings.

Good to see you post, you seemed absent for a bit.
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2020, 10:39   #6
lew
Registered

FALaholic #: 16727
I've shot a bunch of their 7.62 NATO, 7.5 French, and 5.56, as well as some of their 9mm. All have performed very well, and the brass on all of those is excellent for reloading.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2020, 11:12   #7
Bawana jim
Registered

Thanks guys, I bought some on your good feedback.
Old May 11, 2020, 12:12   #8
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
You'll have good luck with the Prvi .30-06 you showed in the link. It's loaded with a powder specifically for not over-stressing the Garand's op-rod (for people who especially worry about that). Are you planning on shooting it in an M1? I've shot a small amount of this Prvi (I haven't bought much of it since I picked up a good supply of the HXP from the CMP back when) and was pleased with it.

I've shot a fair amount of the Prvi 7.5x54mm French and the 7.5x55mm Swiss and the 6.5x55mm Swedish and 7.62x54mmR Russian. I've been quite happy with it, and the cases are quite good for reloading.

I've also used a lot of the Prvi 5.56x45mm M193 bullets and the 7.62x51mm M80 bullets for reloading, and I'm very happy with them...

For what it's worth...

Forrest
ftierson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2020, 12:28   #9
starbuck
Registered

FALaholic #: 26466
Me and the kids shot through a bandoleers worth of it last week. I was very impressed with the packaging and tamper seal. I can't speak to accuracy but all of them went bang out of an M1.
Old May 11, 2020, 14:47   #10
Thundermaker
Registered

FALaholic #: 72520
I've shot a lot of prvi ammo. They're the only ones that make some milsurp calibers. I find certain calibers to be loaded a bit warm, but it's always good anmo.
Thundermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2020, 14:53   #11
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowjimmy View Post
I've shot it in 5.56 and 7.62. ARFcom guys loved it in 5.56.

I think it's pretty well made, but the brass is nowhere as thick as LC if you're thinking multiple reloadings.

Good to see you post, you seemed absent for a bit.
I have been spending more time with hobbies, working on Jeep and truck. Plus working with my dog more. Decided to start doing more range time and realized I don't have much ammo on hand. Range here never shut down and I have been fiddling with my 22 lr guns. Changeing sights and scopes to fit old eyes.

Hope to travel east and visit brother soon and do some shooting and hunting. Here in Oregon if you have lived here for 50 years you get a Pioneers hunting and fishing lic for $6. Lots of room here to hunt.
Old May 11, 2020, 14:59   #12
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
You'll have good luck with the Prvi .30-06 you showed in the link. It's loaded with a powder specifically for not over-stressing the Garand's op-rod (for people who especially worry about that). Are you planning on shooting it in an M1? I've shot a small amount of this Prvi (I haven't bought much of it since I picked up a good supply of the HXP from the CMP back when) and was pleased with it.

I've shot a fair amount of the Prvi 7.5x54mm French and the 7.5x55mm Swiss and the 6.5x55mm Swedish and 7.62x54mmR Russian. I've been quite happy with it, and the cases are quite good for reloading.

I've also used a lot of the Prvi 5.56x45mm M193 bullets and the 7.62x51mm M80 bullets for reloading, and I'm very happy with them...

For what it's worth...

Forrest
Its for my Garand, looking through my ammo stash and I was really low. Found a bunch of empty clips in a ammo can and realized I shot my ammo up a few years back. 500 rounds will do for a few more years I guess.

I reload but have fallen behind on the rifle ammo. Now that summer is here I can work up some loads for rifles useing different powders.
Old May 11, 2020, 17:44   #13
762gunr
Registered

FALaholic #: 69517
Nothing wrong with the Privi 145 grain .308
However if memory serves it's some of the lowest velocity .308/7.62 ever.
762gunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2020, 18:13   #14
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762gunr View Post
Nothing wrong with the Privi 145 grain .308
However if memory serves it's some of the lowest velocity .308/7.62 ever.
Its an old Garand, no sense beating it to death.
Old May 11, 2020, 18:55   #15
partisan50
Registered

FALaholic #: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowjimmy View Post
I've shot it in 5.56 and 7.62.

I think it's pretty well made, but the brass is nowhere as thick as LC if you're thinking multiple re-loadings.
I've shot PPU in many calibers and yes the brass is a bit softer. So when you reload it, the resizing will stretch it a bit longer but the trimmer cutter will go through it easier. Don't expect to get the same number of re-loadings out of their brass compared to US brass.
partisan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2020, 19:14   #16
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
Their .308 168gr match, at $12.99 a box, shoots near as well as FGMM.
Eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2020, 19:58   #17
Democrat1
Registered

FALaholic #: 9132
I bought a can of it about a year ago

It shot decently for me in a Garand. The Garand functioned properly.
Democrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2020, 07:23   #18
bill3542
Registered

FALaholic #: 5675
I use a lot of their 8mm Mauser brass for reloading, good stuff. Only issue is tight primer pockets so you gotta ream them a bit.
Old May 12, 2020, 08:59   #19
Alpha-17
Registered

FALaholic #: 62082
I've shot hundreds of rounds of their .30-06 through my Garand, Springfield and Eddystone. Other than my Eddystone not liking the brass, no issues at all. I've also shot a fair amount of their .308 through my SCAR or my last PTR. Always went bang, and accuracy was acceptable for ball ammo. PPU is good to go as far as I'm concerned.
Alpha-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2020, 16:56   #20
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Privi Partizan = GTG.

Know why? Because when you're making ammo in that part of the world, it had better go 'bang' every time.

Those people know what they're about.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of StalinĎs thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2020, 17:06   #21
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
I scrounge a lot of their brass and don't find loose primer pockets. They have the best 54R and .303 brass.

Why they would sell us ammunition or anything else after we bombed them, I don't know.
Old May 12, 2020, 17:40   #22
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Privi Partizan = GTG.

Know why? Because when you're making ammo in that part of the world, it had better go 'bang' every time.

And there's that, of course...

Forrest
ftierson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2020, 18:48   #23
Glucker
Registered

FALaholic #: 12384
I fired a few rounds of their standard 30.06 in a Miroku 1895 lever rifle, shot fine and had no issues with extraction or anything.

Although I have lots of various calibers of their ammo put away, I mostly shoot their ball Tokarev ammo, through my commercial Zastava Tokarev pistol. That ammo shoots fine too, never had a problem.

Only PRVI ammo I ever had issues with was some 60's headstamp 9x19, had a few that needed a second strike from some pistols. Don't recall my IMI Mdl B having an issue with it though.

I have a Zastava ZPAP scheduled to arrive from Atlantic Firearms to my dealer tomorrow, but won't be shooting any of my corrosive PRVI AK ammo through it though, only Wolf. Don't shoot corrosive unless I have to.

I too consider PRVI ammo to be good to go.
Old May 12, 2020, 20:45   #24
andresere
Master of Gunnery
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 6598
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Privi Partizan = GTG.

Plus their ammo is always guaranteed fresh (on account of they shoot a lot of people with it, no old stuff).
Old May 12, 2020, 20:52   #25
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Have shot a lot of their rifle ammo and given a lot of Privi once fired cases in 5.56 and 7.62◊51. Have had a number of broken decapping pins reloading it due to off center flash holes. I like to use a powered case prep machine (have two RCBS Case Prep Centers) to cut my primer pockets to proper depth first. Have pocket cutters set up to cut small rifle and pistol to 0.1200", large pistol to 0.1200" and large rifle to 0.1280" which is dead center between minimum and maximum primer pocket depth.

Every case (except Berdan) even if mixed range pick ups for range ammo I tumble, size/deprime (small base die if rifle brass), cut primer pockets to depth, trim then debur and cut flash holes to consistent size. Have got to point after breaking so many decapping pins on Privi 5.56 it all goes in a bucket I use to trade brass over at castboolits as many don't seem to mind off center flash holes. I have not only found Privi to be off center but flash hole size to be very non uniform.

Does it really matter for range ammo, I doubt it but broken decapping pins I do. I used to put up with it and if a case had flash hole that far off center threw in scrap bucket and kept moving and used the Privi that was close enough to center. Now the off cemter, size variations, etc bother me enough it all goes into trade bucket without even trying to decap. May be better now and the brass that had centered holes got fair number of loadings before it started showing signs of internal cracks at case head.

That said any brass that shows inconsistent centers, diameters, etc on flash holes and overly deep primer pockets is culled, usually an entire lot as usually if a few cases in a lot are off, quite a few are. Even with totally mixed make, year, etc if I uniform a 100 different case head stamps out of every 1,000 cases, it will shoot uniform enough for range work. When flash holes are inconsistent it shows on range if shoot for groups or long distances. I try to keep all my hoarding ammo matched and all my premium loadings matched but have thousands of cases from hundreds of lots that end up in mixed range buckets that long as prep is consistent and wife culls any feels case head cracks they shoot well no matter how many different cases are in the mix.

I have shot a lot of Privi ammo because I have a friend that gets it as a sponsored competitive shooter. It all shoots good, goes bang everything and he gives me most of his empties. I just dislike the off center and inconsistent size flash holes so trade it for Lake City roll proceseed from a big volume vendor. Reason I have so much Lake City is trading his Privi once fired that shoots well enough he wins a lot of matches with it for Lake City.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2020, 14:15   #26
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
I had been buying it (ppu rifleline)untill recently in 3006, 8mm and 54r either for the boxer primed brass or the good old lead core copper jacket non magnetic bullets they use. Ive shot alot of white box ppu 5.56 55g. Has worked well for me, no issues.

Last edited by davedude; May 13, 2020 at 14:20.
davedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2020, 16:15   #27
andresere
Master of Gunnery
Silver Contributor

And it shoots really really good in a PSL with an adjustable KNS Precision gas piston. 100Y

Old May 13, 2020, 19:17   #28
burtman
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 62934
/\ /\ /\ /\. OK rub it in why don’t you !
Old May 13, 2020, 19:27   #29
andresere
Master of Gunnery
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtman View Post
/\ /\ /\ /\. OK rub it in why don’t you !
Rub-a-dub-dub Burt. :bigg rin:
Old May 15, 2020, 10:01   #30
Bawana jim
Registered

Tracking says I get it by end of the day today...
Old May 15, 2020, 19:02   #31
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by andresere View Post
Plus their ammo is always guaranteed fresh (on account of they shoot a lot of people with it, no old stuff).
Bizackly.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of StalinĎs thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2020, 08:18   #32
Bawana jim
Registered

I like it and it was packed really good when shipping it to me. Not a ding or scratch on the can. Loaded a few clips for the Garand last night and will get out this week to shoot. If this fugging rain let's up.
Old May 17, 2020, 18:28   #33
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
If this fugging rain let's up.
Rifle won't melt. Neither will you. Go shoot.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d0/19...447e235fc6.jpg
Old May 17, 2020, 19:14   #34
partisan50
Registered

FALaholic #: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
Yep true story!

Back around 2007-08 I picked up my 1928 West Hurley Thompson Sub Machine gun. That weekend I took it up to shoot with my buddy and it rained all day, it never melted. Took it home, dried it out, cleaned and oiled. Life's too short to worry about a little rain.
partisan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2020, 19:21   #35
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d0/19...447e235fc6.jpg
Its true, I won't melt but after a lifetime of working outdoors I like to choose better weather for my spare time.
Old May 24, 2020, 19:53   #36
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
The 30-06 shoots great in my Garand. The 7.62x51 is some of the best shooting stuff Iíve used in my FALs as well. For 7.62x51 they sell the generic white box stuff and fancy commercial packaging blue box stuff. As far as I can tell there is zero difference between the two other than the box and the blue box stuff carries a higher price tag.