The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old December 18, 2019, 12:45   #1
DeanD
Registered

FALaholic #: 2957
WTK: Stock ID

Anyone ever see an M1A/M-14 camo stock like this one? Was on my M1A when I bought it decades ago. Wondering if they were sold commercially or it is a custom job. Years ago Fred's sold various camo pattern M-14 stocks so wondering if it was one of his. Any idea if the pattern has a name? Whatever it is I really like it, kind of Vietnam pattern and colors that were used on some aircraft, etc. back then.

DeanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2019, 12:48   #2
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Factory Springfield Inc. woodland camo stock.

Old December 21, 2019, 22:57   #3
DeanD
Registered

Sent a photo to Springfield Armory, the rifle was made 33 years ago and I don't know if anyone there now was there in 1986. The guy who responded to me may have been in diapers then. It is a GI fiberglas stock with the selector hole filled in. The GI fiberglas stocks were widely available back then and doing a camo job was common.

Last edited by DeanD; December 23, 2019 at 18:18.
Old December 21, 2019, 23:25   #4
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanD View Post
Sent a photo to Springfield Armory, they said it isn't one of theirs but who knows, the rifle was made 33 years ago and I don't know if anyone there now was there in 1986. The guy who responded to me may have been in diapers then.
I doubt that the stock is original to the rifle, if it is a 1986 production.

SA Inc. stocks of that era were either fiberglas or walnut USGI ( with filler in the selector slot ), or a few with replacement walnut and no selector cut.

Old December 22, 2019, 00:18   #5
Tip_drill
Registered

FALaholic #: 82930
Someone has filled in both the selector switch area and the connector arm relief area under the operating rod handle on that stock.

Nice cammo pattern!
Tip_drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2019, 04:32   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I had to go down to the household basement gun room and pilfer but found a M14 stock that is very similar. Even the little black almost modern art swastika shaped black accents that appear very consistent (especially the row that runs along lower half of forearm from front to rear of stock) like painter had some few cut stencils used and repeated for different colors are eerily similar on the stock I found in my spare stock box. Keep a box full of spare stocks I find like Winchester M70s and Remington M700s in different action lengths.

AK and SKS wood bought cheap when all the combloc operators were swapping nice preban wood for Tapco plastic folders, spare FAL wood and plastic, and the M14 in question. The M14 stock I have that is very similar in color, shape of accents and implementation of them was purchased out of a large box of spare M14/M1a stocks guy had at a gun show 25 to 30 years ago. Like having various spare stocks in house and when find bargain priced factory furniture for popular rifles buy and add to box.

True story, my dad was not a gun nut. He owned a Ruger Mk1 pistol, blue steel Smith 38 five shot pocket revolver, lever action Marlin deer rifle and a shotgun. He did have a Smith 38 for mom (I eventually bought them a pair of consecutive serial number stainless Model 70s) and the starter guns he bought my brother and myself. About age 15 my brother dropped a gold trigger Marlin 30-30 while climbing into his tree stand and broke the stock. It was still at parents home when I moved out.

In addition to the pair of stainless Smith five shots I gave them left them a pair of nicer Chinese SKSs with Tapco triggers, milsurp 20 round fixed metal box magazines and extended butt pads due to short length of pull along with 1,500 rounds of Russian milspec ammo on stripper clips so they had a matched set of defensive rifles rather than just Dads 35 Rem lever action. Was at a gunshow and found a nice set of matched stock and forearm for the broken stock Marlin 30-30 so next trip home took the furniture and kit to replace the wood on the 30-30. Could not find it in the closet long guns were kept once my safe left.

Asked dad who said after more than a decade of looking at the "broken gun" he was going to county dump and pitched it out with the trash. Told him I had finally found a nice set of replacement wood cheap and value of rifle to which he said it wasn't worth anything to him broken. My dad would save window frames with broken panes and doors from houses torn down and had an entire barn full of broken windows and doors but didn't see the need to keep the Marlin taking up almost zero space in back of vault.

Before I began building I began collecting spare stocks due to my brothers mishap and figured if broke a stock of mine having a box full of various spares would not be bad. Have the camouflage M14 and a Springfield Basic M1a preban Era stocking the box along with a couple of nice stocks off National/Super Match models owners dropped actions into custom stocks and purchased the original they didn't need anymore. In fact one guy gave me his for swapping his M1a out of its factory wood into the aftermarket he purchased. Everyone needs a big box of various stocks. Just wish I had a bunch of original Ruger GB Factory Folders from when they were still reasonable.

Having issues with my photo hosting service and it's a pain to load pictures into my website just to link into discssion groups. Took a picture and when I get my Photo bucket working again will post it to show how similar mine is to OPs.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2019, 15:02   #7
DeanD
Registered

I keep reading that Springfield Armory did have a "woodland camo" stock back in the '80's and I believe this is one of them.

Last edited by DeanD; December 23, 2019 at 18:16.
Old December 22, 2019, 16:00   #8
TnHawk-45
Registered

FALaholic #: 13892
I have one painted like that I bought from a guy at the Alabama gun collectors show at Hoover last year. It is NOT Springfield made. It is a custom paint job and more than a few have been made. The guy paints them on order. Unfortunately I have lost his card, but he said he was a regular and has various pattern for sale there.

I paid $100 for mine, but I wanted a Woodland Pattern one more than good sense that day. LOL

I got stock and hand guard to match with all metal parts and a proper new shape web sling.

I have my suspicions the guy works at Anniston full time and has access to 'parts'.
TnHawk-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2019, 18:19   #9
DeanD
Registered

Can you post a photo of the one you have like this one?
Old December 24, 2019, 21:49   #10
orygun-er
Registered

FALaholic #: 76625
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanD View Post
Anyone ever see an M1A/M-14 camo stock like this one? Was on my M1A when I bought it decades ago. Wondering if they were sold commercially or it is a custom job. Years ago Fred's sold various camo pattern M-14 stocks so wondering if it was one of his. Any idea if the pattern has a name? Whatever it is I really like it, kind of Vietnam pattern and colors that were used on some aircraft, etc. back then.

I owned one of the factory SAI woodland camo stocks at one time and IMHO your's isn't one of them. Fred's paint job.....maybe but a lot of us M14 lovers have been painting and modding the GI synthetics for years. HTH
Factory camo SAI shown below. Photo by member USSF06 over at the M14 forum.

Woodland pattern I did with Krylon rattle cans.

Last edited by orygun-er; December 24, 2019 at 22:02.
orygun-er is offline   Reply With Quote