Notices

Old April 03, 2020, 15:06   #1
loneeagle308
Registered

FALaholic #: 3246
Question on N99 mask 7190-9N99

I was looking to utilize this mask:

http://library-dust.com/North_7190.htm

I have 3 filters and can sterilize them after each use.

The North 7190 uses a patented coaxial valving system to make it the coolest, most comfortable low maintenance available today. With this system, rather than exhaling hot, moist air through the same medium used to inhale, the worker breathes through separate intake and outflow channels. This patented process helps avoid the uncomfortable buildup of heat and moisture common in disposables.

Designed for welding, as the swept-back profile fits easily under a welding helmet, the 7190 N99 can also be used for many applications with solid particulates and non-oil based aerosols.

Wouldn't the valve need to be sterilized too? It doesn't seem that durable. Overall, this would provide adequate protection vice N95s?
Wish I had not returned my P100 masks last month when it didn't seem too crazy out there. I am flying on 4/16 from SFO to Ohio.
loneeagle308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2020, 15:32   #2
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
In a word, yes. Read this link about the Covid-19 virus and mask use.

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com...ifference.html

Sterilization would not be needed. Since the masks filter out particulate, they would need to be replaced after use because they would become clogged up. How much use time would depend on the mask filter media size and design. Most of the masks available to the public like the one you linked are disposable. Once used, they have no filter media cleaning instructions, only replacement.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2020, 15:33   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
I have some experience in this from a previous life developing products when this standard was developed.

N99 means that it is 99% efficient at the most penetrating particle size of approximately 0.2um. N95 is 95% efficient. So it's a better mask. P grades are for oily aerosols. N masks are electrostatically treated so an oily aerosol will coat the fibers and neutralize the charge.

P masks are normally respirators with canisters. so there can be more media employed to capture the particulate as it uses purely mechanical filtration.

The valve is there to make the mask cooler/more comfortable and exhaust air that is exhaled easier rather than having to force it back into the filter media. It is a check valve the closes during inhalation and opens during exhalation. The mask is not designed to be sterilized as it would kill the charge on the fibers.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2020, 16:29   #4
loneeagle308
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
I have some experience in this from a previous life developing products when this standard was developed.

N99 means that it is 99% efficient at the most penetrating particle size of approximately 0.2um. N95 is 95% efficient. So it's a better mask. P grades are for oily aerosols. N masks are electrostatically treated so an oily aerosol will coat the fibers and neutralize the charge.

P masks are normally respirators with canisters. so there can be more media employed to capture the particulate as it uses purely mechanical filtration.

The valve is there to make the mask cooler/more comfortable and exhaust air that is exhaled easier rather than having to force it back into the filter media. It is a check valve the closes during inhalation and opens during exhalation. The mask is not designed to be sterilized as it would kill the charge on the fibers.

Thanks Meltdown. I knew the meanings. Surely there is a non destructive way to get to 153F to kill the buggers without loss of capability?
Old April 03, 2020, 17:15   #5
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by loneeagle308 View Post
Thanks Meltdown. I knew the meanings. Surely there is a non destructive way to get to 153F to kill the buggers without loss of capability?
153. Hmm, polypropylene can handle that temp as in the media. When people say sterilize, I think steam. The problem is when you heat it to 153 say in an oven, the media would probably be fine. The straps and other fitments are probably going to degrade after a heat cycle. They are considered disposable.

If I was worried, I'd just rinse it with alcohol when I got to the hotel room and let it dry out on the AC unit. Make sure you rinse from the inside out so no particulate is on the air entry side. You will kill the charge, but an N99 without a charge is better than an N95 with a charge on the fibers.

And yes, I have a patent related to the subject of the media.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2020, 17:43   #6
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
Now that you have legitimate answers, I'll say it's probably better than a bandana, and depending on what's happening near 4/16, I might rethink the flight.
Old April 04, 2020, 01:37   #7
loneeagle308
Registered

I hear ya Mebs. Gotta get out of SF. But handling some stuff first. Not worried.
Old April 04, 2020, 02:01   #8
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
A family friend who lives in Michigan said the hospital he works in is using UV light to sterilize their masks. It looks like 4-5 hours of UV light will kill the virus. His hospital was doing/did some testing on it to see if it was going to work and it looks like t was going to work.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 04, 2020, 06:43   #9
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Website is stating that

Quote:
NORTH 7190-N99 NON OIL N99 CLASS PARTICULATE RESPIRATOR is not orderable.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 04, 2020, 11:24   #10
loneeagle308
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Website is stating that
I was just linking what I currently have with 3 new filters to get an idea of reusing the filters. UV seems good but not sure how much it penetrates to the center of the filter.
Old April 04, 2020, 12:48   #11
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Hold a flashlight up to the filter media and see if you see it on the other side. If so UV does the same. Just let it sit for a while. Problem is the plastic parts of the unit may degrade rapidly due to UV exposure. And IIRC, the UV used to kill germs can also harm people so make sure you put it in a safe location while zapping tiny bug.

Quote:
UV light is a reliable, well-studied antimicrobial technology. It works primarily by destroying the DNA inside bacteria, viruses and fungi. The high-energy portion of the UV spectrum called UV-C is most effective. UV-C light has been used for decades to disinfect industrial surfaces and sanitize drinking water. It is especially advantageous for use in hospitals because it kills the spore-forming bacterium Clostridium difficile, which is a major source of hospital-acquired infections.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 04, 2020, 13:12   #12
loneeagle308
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Hold a flashlight up to the filter media and see if you see it on the other side. If so UV does the same. Just let it sit for a while. Problem is the plastic parts of the unit may degrade rapidly due to UV exposure. And IIRC, the UV used to kill germs can also harm people so make sure you put it in a safe location while zapping tiny bug.
Yup pretty bright. Since filter is detachable, the UV has no impact to the mask itself.
Old April 05, 2020, 16:42   #13
loneeagle308
Registered

http://library-dust.com/North_7190.htm

Technically they could make a disposable P99 filter for this N99 rig? I can't find anywhere with that idea though.
Old April 09, 2020, 01:19   #14
loneeagle308
Registered

btt

?