Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old April 01, 2020, 23:49   #1
johnnycobra
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 26209
TEOTWAWKI beards?

I stopped shaving around 3/11 when it first started looking like things were going to get serious.
Haven’t given in and shaved yet.
I hadn’t planned to shave until the all-clear is at least imminent, but I’m already about to enter beard phase 2 - real beard, grooming needed.

I’m about to have to change hairstyles now also - was due for a cut when I stopped those!

Anyone else doing the same?

Last edited by johnnycobra; April 02, 2020 at 00:21.
johnnycobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 01, 2020, 23:54   #2
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
Sort of. Don't think I've shaved since 3/20. I'm working from home and have no place to go to. I figured what the hell, why not?

Molon labe
easttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 02, 2020, 05:15   #3
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
You know your beard is serious when it is long enough to make dreads on them, which you then mix with gunpowder and set on fire before walking into a room

Bonus points if you know where I stole this from
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 02, 2020, 06:51   #4
hawk962
Registered

FALaholic #: 9621
Edward Teach FTW...
hawk962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 02, 2020, 08:04   #5
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75606
I just shaved right after valentines. It was the first time a blade touched my face in two years. Now Iím back to the itch phase. Probably gonna be another couple years before the straight razor comes back out.

Any yíall shave with a straight?
Old April 02, 2020, 08:09   #6
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFeod View Post

Nope, I'd slice myself.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 02, 2020, 08:28   #7
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Mmmm that's odd, I shaved my head when this all started to make myself easier to clean. It's damn cold without a hat on
Old April 02, 2020, 08:33   #8
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFeod View Post
I just shaved right after valentines. It was the first time a blade touched my face in two years. Now Iím back to the itch phase. Probably gonna be another couple years before the straight razor comes back out.

Naw, I just strop up the small double bit axe.

Let the beard grow in the winter season, keeps me warm. Generally shave when it gets hot here, about 70 degrees or so. Usually gets up to that around July or thereabouts.
Old April 02, 2020, 08:40   #9
K. Funk
Retired Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I stopped showering. Helps with the social distancing.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 02, 2020, 08:57   #10
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Funk View Post

krf
Old April 02, 2020, 09:07   #11
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
I shave several times, annually.
Why? - because I'm lazy.
Right now, I use a comb on my face..

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 02, 2020, 09:11   #12
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
Quote:

krf
Good tip right there.
Eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 02, 2020, 09:31   #13
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:

krf
Any idea when we can start showering again instead of just washing our hands?
Old April 02, 2020, 09:39   #14
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Any idea when we can start showering again instead of just washing our hands?
When your hands are white and your arms are black, take a shower...

Carlos Castenada
Old April 02, 2020, 11:32   #15
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
When your hands are white and your arms are black, take a shower...
Somehow....
Old April 02, 2020, 12:04   #16
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

HAHA!

Carlos Castenada
Old April 02, 2020, 13:25   #17
Shoots High
previously "powderhead"

FALaholic #: 18717
Beards are notoriously unsanitary. Especially now is not a good time to have one if you are going to wear a mask do to poor facial seal.
Shoots High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 02, 2020, 13:28   #18
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoots High View Post
Beards are notoriously unsanitary. Especially now is not a good time to have one if you are going to wear a mask do to poor facial seal.
Somebody gets it.
Old April 02, 2020, 16:44   #19
John Crusher
Registered

FALaholic #: 18663
I had a clean shaven face in December of 1979.
I've never had one since and sometimes let it grow for a year before trimming.
Old April 02, 2020, 18:29   #20
slavicshooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 74022
I told Mrs.ss I'd go clean shaven if she let me have her half of the Corona Virus welfare check. She hates my long beard, but not enough l guess.~ss

<[:-)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old April 02, 2020, 19:53   #21
starbuck
Registered

FALaholic #: 26466
Um, I stopped shaving in 2006.
Old April 05, 2020, 04:58   #22
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I stopped shaving day after day after Christmas and plan was to see if I could grow a "Santa-Claus" beard. At 57 my beard is almost pure white and hair more white than grey as started to tun in my late twenties. Discovered some of the higher end Malls around Atlanta and North Metro area pay from $25,000 to $75,000 at top of scale for a months work playing Santa. Weight is not an issue as have props to make Santa as jolly as client wants. One key factor other than going to a recognized "Santa School" to learn all the reindeer names, Merry Christmas in most languages common to area, 'Merican, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, etc and all the tricks to settle kids. Have to learn secrets like PPE under suit as kids will pee on Santas lap and such.

On top of the other qualifications the better and most highest paid Santa's have real beards and long curly white hair. Have the hair, though thinned a bit is long enough have to put in pony tail and hair cuts come from power tools, especially cordless drills. Found a hair place in Atlanta that specializes in coloring Santa's hair, beard and mustache the proper shade of white and adding the perfect amount of curl. Beard till Friday was nearing full Santa length after just three months of no shaving and just trimming areas that grew faster than others so didn't look overly ratty and was already having same issue with beard and power tools as hair. Mustache was already at point of being able to twist up a good "handle bar" with a nice curl on the ends and trimmed it more than any area so ablet to eat without a mouth full of hair when chewing.

My previous BiPAP autoSV kept track of mask leaks as does new one but new machine is better at leak detection, logging and recommending different masks and things to lessen the leaks. Most of last summer, shave every other day due to heat, and through the holidays had an average fit with mask of 90% to 93% which meant mask was leaking 7% to 10% of the time which is more than acceptable by my DME and sleep doctor. As beard grew previous machine slowly increased in leaks per night. Got the new top of the line, latest generation Dreamstation BiPAP autoSV. First ten days was having 70% to 80% leaks so kept tightening mask till made sores on face and was still 60% to 70% leaks.

Swapped me to the newest memory foam mask which adjusted comfortable gave me a 40% leak average the sores from first mask began to ooze puss which was so caustic it ate the memory foam off the mask and was sticking to the sores. I was so sad as was most comfortable mask had ever worn in a decade of PAP therapy. Till able to allow sores on bridge of nose to heal along with cheeks and sides of nose into the mustache was given a mask that just covers my mouth as am a mouth breather and will not breath through nose as supposed to if use nasal pillows or any device that does not cover mouth.

Was only one mask that fit, covered mouth and did not put pressure on the by then nasty open sores the looked like leprosy and was having to wear three surgical grade waterproof bandaids so people were not afraid to be near me or stare at the puss oozing sores. They are now 90% healed and near moving back to a new memory foam mask as mask have been wearing averages 90% to 99% of night in leaks. Has been so bad have to close eyes before press button as blows so much air in my face and eyes it's miserable. Was waking up every fifteen to thirty minutes looking at time on machine as first 90 days have to wear a minimum of 4.0 hours per night or insurance does not pay and my machine with all accessories rings up an $8,000 tab. Been sleeping like crap, fighting it for four hours and one minute to four hours and thirty-seven minutes maximum and it comes off. Even with a 3mg Lunesta could not sleep in this mask.

Thursday had wife take pictures of beard as was close enough, spring has sprung and beard is hot when doing manual labor plus takes longer to wash than my hair. Also heard a lot about beards catching Chinese Flu germs and holding them, the thicker the worse they are. Wife brushed hair, beard and I twisted up my handlebar mustache then put on red shirt, she took pictures and off it came. Mowed it off with trimmers then did a full shave except for mustache which trimmed back really well. Have been more worried about seal of my masks when/if around people and if had to wear real gas mask know they won't seal over a beard.

So this mask that some nights actually recorded 99% leaks and best night was 89% leaks with most being 95% to 97% leaks was only 3% leaks for 97% of night without a leak. Second night was 99% after loosened head gear for less pressure on face and underside of nose. Last night had 0% leaks and 100% perfect seal wearing a mask that doesn't fit right and will likely be going back to full face memory foam next week as last sore is almost completely healed. If BiPAP autoSV mask is sealing 90% to 99% better every night, so much more comfortable am averaging seven hours and twelve minutes per night without waking versus fighting it for four till had my one minute over required time and ripped off my head how much better are PPE masks fitting.

History tells us Hitler had his goofy mustache because his big handlebar mustache caused his gas mask to leak in WW 1 almost killing him. I feel like 99% more confident in my PPE mask seal without the beard plus can tell an not near as likely to bring home virus particulates or even a nest of squirrels in the huge beard. Till Chinese Flu scare is over am going to be clean shaven so masks work as best they can plus able to wipe hand sanitizer on face if interact with anyone including hands easily now. Always have known the issue with beards and masks but till decided to grow biggest, longest bushy beard of life during a pandemic with old and new machine measuring how bad it caused $100 masks made for people some of who wear 24/7/365 to leak I was absolutely stunned when shaved and a 99% leak mask went to 99% no leak mask immediately.

I may skip the idea of Santa work for extra money as sick kids with every bug, big bushy beaRd and Santa can't wear PPE mask as kids would be scared and mom's would not pay big money for pics with a mask wearing Santa. Getting a nasty virus is not worth the risk though like making extra cash and kids. All you with thick beads may want to consider my 99% leaking mask if have to put a mask over your beard. I have some of the best logged data from wearing different style masks, clean shaven, few days stubble, well trimmed beard, full beard to big bushy beard and every day skipped shaving mask leaks a little more till race a point it is always leaking. If had put on a 3M N100 commercial mask, Avon fan powered NBC mask or MSA Millinium CBRN mask because virus began mutating and CDC warned mask up as best you can or going to die the beard was going to negate the effectiveness of mask almost to total waste of time.

What's the point of having what was $2,000 to $4,000 in masks from N95, N100 and NBC rated masks with Swiss filters if beard breaks the seal on them making virtually useless? I even know better as have studied PPE and masks of all types for decades. The old M75 Vietnam Era masks were useless with a beard. The M40s that replaced them were better as some special ops used them with beards but cut effectiveness greatly and in real chemical environment they would not seal well enough to keep user from possibly burning lungs if exposed to chlorine gas, mustard gas, ammonia fumes and many common gases not even mentioning some of the new super chemical weapons. May never grow a beard again past a few days stubble or very short beard during coldest part of winter or if go skiing/ice climbing out west or Canada. Did some Google Fu which confirmed what my machine and three different medical grade masks did from growing beard out till totally reduced effectiveness of mask to a quick shave making mask go to 100% seal. YMMV, but better take it into consideration if want to live in a new world with a new killer virus almost every season.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 05, 2020, 06:19   #23
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
But but but you are not elite SEAL TEAM6 SOCOM operator without the required tactical beard!
Old April 05, 2020, 06:33   #24
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Still shaving, but I may have a mullet after all this with no barbers around.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 05, 2020, 07:31   #25
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
But but but you are not elite SEAL TEAM6 SOCOM operator without the required tactical beard!
Why my life plan was dual major in Engineering/Literature with dual minors in Computer Science and Military Science (ROTC) but was deemed 4F on my physical when signing the contract giving the Army eight years of my life (actually was my career goal). Delta Force are the real operators, one to three Delta Operators can recruit, train a local force then overthrow an entire government with what appears to be a local coup. All SEALs know how to do is "kill people, blow stuff up and break things". That quote came to me on separate occasions from three different SEALs. Know a lot of them as used to take ORGT groups (Outdoor Recreation Georgia Tech) rock climbing and ice climbing several times per year.

Almost every graduating class from NATS (G.T. slang North Atlanta Trade School) at least one or more of the ORGT guys go to Frog U and at least one makes it through the program so like living a half hour from Frank D Merrill and spent 20 years as the official representative that worked with the National Forest Service and Rangers on fair allocation of resources on Mt Yonah. At one time they forgot to renew their special permit to take groups on the mountain which even for the Army is a big no-no but I had mine in good order and was friends with several Cadre members but of that group of training staff about half of them went to Leavenworth for misappropriation of equipment.

Knew something was odd after a weekend of climbing with three we shook out our gear and redistributed so each man had his gear because no way to climb in a group and gear get all mixed up. We were drinking a lot of alcohol and next day noticed a set of the latest issue night vision goggles sitting in my gear room. Next day made a couple calls and was told to keep tjem, already written off inventory as lost by a Ranger Candidate on training mission. Returned them anyway as was same time sponsored by Petzl USA and PMI Ropes who won the contract to switch the Rangers from green line, tied swiss seats and carabiner wrap rappels over to kernmantle ropes, buckle harnesses (French did a special run of all black Guru adjustable harnesses and Figure 8 rappels) and had me help the S.E. Dealers Rep help train two groups of Cadre on the new equipment. (Post 4F and dropping out of dual major program) We were supposed to train one rotation of Cadre that would train their replacements but suddenly about a dozen of them just disappeared and nobody would mention their names except by nicknames and clued us in on much equipment disappeared as they were catching trainees sleeping on an FTX and take any valuable equipment and even weapons were issued.

It was an odd time but they got the program back on track quickly. Worked around them for years as went to Yonah on average three to five days per week. Taught many Cadre civilian climbing techniques on their off time. Always a nice group of guys and would come help remove old anchors and replace with new safer ones. In one weekend we were able to remove over 200 old rusty Army placed bolts and replaced with about 40 and increased number of safe lanes while making the hippy peace freak civilian climbers happier about sharing the mountain with the Army.

There was always some group mad about the Army messing up their weekend plans and took a delicate touch to work as a civilian climber to appease them and keep complaints from reaching National Park Service as usually started all complaints through the Southeastern Climbers Coalition. Army thought they had priority over civilians but Forest Service ordered us all to share so finally Army began limiting weekend use which solved 90% of conflicts.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2020, 18:06   #26
Cali-Glock
Registered

FALaholic #: 10029
Quote:
Meh... if they are maintained and washed I don't see how they are any more unsanitary than hair on the scalp... but your comments about the importance of a proper seal if you are going to wear a respirator, is on point!

I have not shaved since 2002, and given the pandemic, I considered shaving so I could get a proper fit with my filtering facepiece respirators... but I really don't want to shave.

I compromised and buzz cut my beard. Would not pass an OSHA fit test but there is no question far less air is passing by the respirator than previously. Most of the bypass was happening during my exhalations which then was aiding in inhalation bypass because the mask has been unseated from the (marginal) seal. I switched to an exhalation valve filtering facepiece respirator and maintaining a reasonable seal is vastly superior. I wore one for several hours yesterday while at the doctor for blood work and then doing some shopping - was sweating and I think the moisture helped the seal.

I am wearing a neck gator pulled up over my respirator and face so I don't face the silent condemnation and ridicule from those who know I should be clean-shaven if I am going to bother wearing a respirator!
Old April 25, 2020, 20:40   #27
cotter
Registered

FALaholic #: 23754
Actually back in the day firefigjters wore beards because they would stick the beard in their mouth to breath thru. This was when the things burning in your house were natural fibers not the polywhatyamacallits we have today emitting more toxic gasses. Then you can flashback to the iran/iraq war. They all had beards and would gas each other on a regular basis.
cotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2020, 00:15   #28
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Quote:
Having to have my M40 gas mask and nerve agent antidote with in arms reach while at work for about 6 years and had to be fit tested for my mask every year, I think I have some valid information on the subject.

First, facial hair can cause issues with the seal. However, N95 masks donít seal like a gas mask. They are cloth or fabric which donít seal a rubber gas mask.

How clean one keeps their facial hair is more of personal hygiene and is based on what that individual does or doesnít do.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2020, 02:10   #29
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
Having to have my M40 gas mask and nerve agent antidote with in arms reach while at work for about 6 years and had to be fit tested for my mask every year, I think I have some valid information on the subject.

First, facial hair can cause issues with the seal. However, N95 masks donít seal like a gas mask. They are cloth or fabric which donít seal a rubber gas mask.

How clean one keeps their facial hair is more of personal hygiene and is based on what that individual does or doesnít do.
I keep my face clean just in case I have to use an M17 or M40...

Just sayin'...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2020, 12:48   #30
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
I saw a photo of Willie Nelson once after he had shaved his beard off. Frightful! I thought, why the hell did he do that!

Well, I did the same thing about six weeks ago. Had the same thought after looking at myself in the mirror! Now growing whiskers again.
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2020, 16:10   #31
irishrelief
Registered

FALaholic #: 83990
Stopped shaving 11SEP2014 when I went on terminal leave. Shaved for the first time since on 27JUL2019. Haven't shaved since. Was growing my beard while deployed but got recalled home right before this fuckery shut down travel.

Grooming - Get a good beard wash. Plenty of them exist. Wash your beard two times a week. More if you get it dirty, less if you don't care/don't go out. I wash mine after every outing now. The more you wash it the more you need the next product.

-Beard balm. That's right balm not oil. Apart from the fact that you can't spill and waste balm it has other advantages. One you can get a much better measurement (debatable), two balm has extra waxes in it's makeup which helps with dry skin, three these same waxes help hold it in place when it gets longer. You can use both if you want but I'm not double spending, and my beard grows fast. Brands I use/have used/will use are Grave Before Shave and Honest Amish. Both are fantastic for everything beard.

-Wooden comb. Some hippie is gonna say this should be sandalwood. I can't say that it's better but I have one and it's been a fantastic comb. Mine has two tine widths. I comb near daily to remove hair that has detached. I also use it fluff and give volume to my beard for appearances when going out. Use it after oil/balming to help work it in better and get an even spread.

-Stiff beard brush. These always make me think of the brushes used on horse. Or similarly to ones used on my leather boots. A stiff brush is really nice for a couple of reasons. First it will help remove hair. Secondly it will scrub the skin some. Third it stimulates blood flow as a result of the abrasion. I use this after showering/beard washing. This item will require cleaning on use, or at least once a week.

I brought all of these with me on deployment except the stiff brush. I just didn't have the time in my day to care for the brush, and it didn't offer a significant increase in my hygiene. It also took up a bunch of space in my DOPP bag and honestly I wanted more consumables.

I can't offer any good tips on trimming/shaping beards. I found a barber in town that specializes in beards, and haven't worried about it since then. There are some videos about on how to use standard electric trimmers to keep it shaped, but again I haven't tried the techniques myself. Hope this actually helps and doesn't fall into the category of you actually looking for a meme answer.
irishrelief is offline   Reply With Quote