Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old March 30, 2020, 08:21   #1
K. Funk
Retired Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
When This is all Over........

When this crisis is in the history books, we should compare notes about our preps, what worked and what did not. We are still very early into this thing here in my part of the world. Even for an older population who I felt were rather naïve about preps, the stores sure did empty out quick. The only thing I came up short on were PPE and sanitizers of various forms. My wife has a better understanding of my efforts over the past several years, but the full potential gravity of the situation is still not firmly grasped.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2020, 08:34   #2
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I tend to ramble on but this virus is the perfect tool for control of the public. The emergency powers can make so many changes and once you add in how our system runs the tool can manipulate the public to do just what they want. Fear is powerful and it's stronger than our armies. Using an unseen enemy is frankly brilliant.
Old March 30, 2020, 09:36   #3
357ross
Registered

FALaholic #: 47543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
I tend to ramble on but this virus is the perfect tool for control of the public. The emergency powers can make so many changes and once you add in how our system runs the tool can manipulate the public to do just what they want. Fear is powerful and it's stronger than our armies. Using an unseen enemy is frankly brilliant.
This was my assessment exactly. In this case the tell was the timing and sequence of events.
357ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2020, 09:57   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Plenty of PPEs, plenty of sanitizer and all supplies. Even been able to share. Our only mistake was wife bringing in a big container of homemade cookies a friend of hers who is not social distancing left on front porch swing and sit half a day eating cookies before I got home. Doubt she will do that again even if there is not contagion going around.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2020, 10:23   #5
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Problems encountered:

1. Living in NY state. Bad shit always comes from NYC.

2. Prepared for global collapse, but not pandemic. Can quarantine one person in separate space plus bathroom, but not two. Threw away all my malaria medicine (CQ) six months ago.

3. Wife in medical services- choice: quit and hide, lose medical insurance and never get another job in the field, or risk death (infection is pretty much guaranteed.)

4. Had important info & papers all in one box; finally got a list together in case wife/ family has to get things sorted out.

5. Too many different optics, too many different types of batteries, some of which had gone dead. Real PITA to find replacements for some. Stick with optics that use standard batteries not farging hearing aid batteries and crap. AA or AAA.

6. Parts of various gun projects all over the place- as in, each gun may have parts in my office, in the basement storage, on the workbench, etc. Good luck to anyone else who has to try to accumulate all the correct parts together so they can be sold (if need be.) Today's project.
Old March 30, 2020, 10:42   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

There are a bunch of big changes people don't see comming but there is nothing anyone can do about them. This is really a test or trial run to see if they can change society while at the same time see how many they can kill without folks raising hell. As long as they can blame the deaths on an unseen enemy they can kill as many as they want.

Can't stop them at all now from spending as fast as they can print, it's going to warp speed. Prep for that if you can figure a time line out.

The Chinese have shown us you can murder folks in every nation and get away with it as long as you murder your own people as you kill others.

China is the enemy.
Old March 30, 2020, 11:07   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Went to batteries plus and purchased two bulk packs of lithium AAs and AAAs in case unable to keep up charging nicads if grid fails. Also an extra pack of CR123s and assorted button batteries back in January. Keep lithium in my night vision anyway due to 10 year shelf life and 6x energy density. Batteries can be a PITA.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old March 30, 2020, 12:44   #8
Bawana jim
Registered

I have been trying to get away from all batteries. My radios are hand crank as are my small flashlights. I bought trijicon sights for my guns for night time. I do have some scopes with lighted reticle but it's just handy to have and not needed. My bigger lights use batteries and some of my other gear does too.

Mmmm too bad somebody doesn't make a hand crank battery charger for all kinds of batteries. Those little 3203 are not rechargeable and that's bad.
Old March 30, 2020, 12:47   #9
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
Thinking this will be over is commendably optimistic.

It is just as possible that this event will begin a chain of negative events that will continue for quite a while.

So, I will pose another question.

What's next and how to prepare for that?

OK, two questions.

The truth does not require your belief.

"Fracking involves a two-phase combustion process: the first phase burns borrowed money to produce oil and gas; the second burns the oil and the gas." Dmitri Orlov
Exit308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2020, 12:57   #10
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit308 View Post
Thinking this will be over is commendably optimistic.

It is just as possible that this event will begin a chain of negative events that will continue for quite a while.

So, I will pose another question.

What's next and how to prepare for that?

OK, two questions.
Questions are important it wasn't long ago that yellowhand was asking just how this country could be shut down because we don't have the manpower to do it. They answered him.

I don't have any answers other than be flexible, that's the only way to prepare for the unknown.

You can see some big changes in society coming, huge things. As far as our worst enemy it's China and the Americans that carry water for them. They will become more of a threat by the hour. If they would have shut down our military with this flu then I bet they would have been aggressive. This is part of the trade war.
Old March 30, 2020, 13:35   #11
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I have been trying to get away from all batteries. My radios are hand crank as are my small flashlights. I bought trijicon sights for my guns for night time. I do have some scopes with lighted reticle but it's just handy to have and not needed. My bigger lights use batteries and some of my other gear does too.

Mmmm too bad somebody doesn't make a hand crank battery charger for all kinds of batteries. Those little 3203 are not rechargeable and that's bad.

The Lithiums are mostly for night vision and tactical lights. Can see a man trying to spin a crank on the side of his thermal scope or night vision monocular during a night time firefight. ;-)

One thing we will be able to say is we didn't run out of toilet paper. This is in garage as wong fit on downstairs storage racks.

Old March 30, 2020, 13:49   #12
Bawana jim
Registered

My daughter used to ask why I had so much tp in storage then after she saw the empty shelves she had greater respect.
Old March 30, 2020, 14:33   #13
starbuck
Registered

FALaholic #: 26466
I'm for a permanent quarantine on any city over a million people but in all seriousness I was caught off guard too. Mostly in what to do with my parents. My freezers were a mess but adequate. I placed an order with the Mormons at the beginning of Feb. before the panic. I'd liked to have had my solar panels up and had some new batteries to keep in the basement to run the sump. I had 100 gallons of diesel for my generator, the battery was dead but I could jump start it with a car.

I'd like to be in a better financial situation as well. It would be nice if working was optional. I have fertilizer and food for the birds but I'd like to be set up for 6 months and from here on out I will be. I'll probably be switching to chickens, the quail are more of a hobby. I had only respirators and surgical masks. So I'll probably be looking at getting full NBC gear at some point. I'm not really concerned about this virus in my house but its good practice for when they really try and kill us off.

I'm a little low on reloading components for my 45-70 but if it gets that bad I'll be ok with shooting bambi with a FAL. Oh and I'm ashamed to say the carbs are gummed up on my bikes, at least I have time now to work on them. I like my baofengs, I kind of wish I'd bought a few more before they jumped in price.
Old March 30, 2020, 14:44   #14
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Questions are important it wasn't long ago that yellowhand was asking just how this country could be shut down because we don't have the manpower to do it. They answered him.

I don't have any answers other than be flexible, that's the only way to prepare for the unknown.

You can see some big changes in society coming, huge things. As far as our worst enemy it's China and the Americans that carry water for them. They will become more of a threat by the hour. If they would have shut down our military with this flu then I bet they would have been aggressive. This is part of the trade war.
We were discussing,,,non voluntary shutdown,,,a minor point,,but a huge one for sure.

This,,,so far,,is a voluntary shutdown.

When the bayonets go onto the rifles,,,with some force willing and able to do it,,numbering in the multi millions,nationwide,,,,then,,,,things might change,,,a little.

I keep asking folks the same questions,,,,,,,,,,whom would do it,,,,the military does not have the numbers,,,the police,,,hell,,,look at NYC's finest,,,they are stopping even going into work,,in large numbers,,,the local police and Sheriffs,,,no where even close to the manpower needed,,the federal police,,,them people are a joke as a force,,,how many did it take for just them ranchers up north?

Jim,,,,I firmly believe,,we have politicians that would just wet their little panties to gain total control over the population of the USA,disarm all of us,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but it still goes back to,,,just who in the hell they got to pull it off,,and the answer keeps coming back,,,no one.........

IF,,,not likely,,they could stand up a huge ass force of someone,,,a large force would then become the target of everyone with a scoped deer rifle,,,and just take a look at Afghanistan,,,large modern forces,,control some city centers,,,somewhat,,countryside belongs to the goal ropers,,with old rifles and even older ammo.

When freedom dies in this country,,,it will be voluntary.......by the wishes of the people................

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2020, 14:51   #15
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

I'll ask another question.

Is there anyone here,,,,that can't leave their homes,,been disarmed,,by anyone,,had their homes searched by any law dogs/military/mercs??????

Wake me up when it begins.

Old March 30, 2020, 14:58   #16
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Back to the OP's original question.

Not having a dedicated forum,,to share real time,,eyeball information,,,what local people can see with their own two Mk1 eyeballs out their windows,, around the country.

Here,,,its quiet and peaceful,,,shops,,small ones shutdown,,,schools shutdown,,any place to eat out without a drive through,,shut down,,churches and Temples,,went on line,,,people out walking their dogs,,,staying home,,,voluntarily,,no increase in police,, can't make'em overnight in large numbers,,BP is still working,,,border is closed down,,,fence is still being built here,,,

Old March 30, 2020, 15:09   #17
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
Right from the start I had to marvel at all those people out buying up all the TP and not food. I witnessed cart rolling out of Sam's loaded with TP and paper towels and not one bit of food.

The wife and I live a simple life. Both of us are retired. Gov. Coonman announced his 'stay at home' BS just today but we have been at home for most of the past two weeks anyway. We don't socialize other than with close family occasionally. Don't really have neighbors. Our only real change is not being able to go to the gym during the week. So now we workout here at home. No biggie. Not bored. Lots to do... if I want to. Not rushed. Garden ready to go. Plenty of supplies. We can stay here a long time. Not sure at this point what I would have done differently. Maybe weaknesses will appear as we get deeper into this mess. Should we end up taking in family members things might get a bit thin. But there are the traps, and there's lots of game so far and I wouldn't be opposed to popping something from the front porch if the need was there.
Whydah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2020, 15:20   #18
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I looked at storing some powdered milk several months ago and decided it was not cost-effective compared to fresh. I was not thinking far enough ahead. Also, I failed to immediately refill my blood pressure med prescription when news broke. An empty bottle snuck up on me and I had to go out last Monday to pick it up. I wish I had some more rice and pasta laid in but I am OK for several weeks to months as is.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2020, 16:23   #19
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I looked at storing some powdered milk several months ago and decided it was not cost-effective compared to fresh. I was not thinking far enough ahead. Also, I failed to immediately refill my blood pressure med prescription when news broke. An empty bottle snuck up on me and I had to go out last Monday to pick it up. I wish I had some more rice and pasta laid in but I am OK for several weeks to months as is.
These nice folks has powdered milk last week,,,but are showing out today,,,check back daily,,,their ability to re-stock and ship changes daily.

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.or...t&beginIndex=0

Old March 30, 2020, 17:02   #20
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
We were discussing,,,non voluntary shutdown,,,a minor point,,but a huge one for sure.

This,,,so far,,is a voluntary shutdown.

When the bayonets go onto the rifles,,,with some force willing and able to do it,,numbering in the multi millions,nationwide,,,,then,,,,things might change,,,a little.

I keep asking folks the same questions,,,,,,,,,,whom would do it,,,,the military does not have the numbers,,,the police,,,hell,,,look at NYC's finest,,,they are stopping even going into work,,in large numbers,,,the local police and Sheriffs,,,no where even close to the manpower needed,,the federal police,,,them people are a joke as a force,,,how many did it take for just them ranchers up north?

Jim,,,,I firmly believe,,we have politicians that would just wet their little panties to gain total control over the population of the USA,disarm all of us,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but it still goes back to,,,just who in the hell they got to pull it off,,and the answer keeps coming back,,,no one.........

IF,,,not likely,,they could stand up a huge ass force of someone,,,a large force would then become the target of everyone with a scoped deer rifle,,,and just take a look at Afghanistan,,,large modern forces,,control some city centers,,,somewhat,,countryside belongs to the goal ropers,,with old rifles and even older ammo.

When freedom dies in this country,,,it will be voluntary.......by the wishes of the people................
It isn't over yet Sir.
Old March 30, 2020, 17:05   #21
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
I'll ask another question.

Is there anyone here,,,,that can't leave their homes,,been disarmed,,by anyone,,had their homes searched by any law dogs/military/mercs??????

Wake me up when it begins.
Let's see, we have been in self confinement like an ankle bracelet. We are allowed to get out and get food or walk in the yard. What do they need your guns for, you ain't going places without permission
Old March 30, 2020, 17:23   #22
Bawana jim
Registered

What next, we all are living under the same conditions now but what's next? Trump said April 30 but it might go on until june. What is normalcy for that time is planting the fields.

Now I don't know crap but let's look at where we are and where we are headed.

Follow the money first, who are the winners and losers? Will there be more losers than winners?

Will credit card companies go bankrupt when folks can't pay because there is no work?

What are the business folks going to do after two months of lost wages, hope for government help?

What's the little guy doing, the man on the street? What's the illegal doing when he can't find a job?

How many folks bought items with their credit cards so they can sell them for cash? Watch face book and Craigs list, you can buy a new tv for half price.

Rents, they can't throw people out yet will you be able to pay for your rental for 3 months?

Property like big office buildings will be hard to sell when everyone works from home.

Everyone works from home that can means the car market crashes, you don't drive much then who needs a car.

I can go on, this is far bigger than most see right now, will kids home school on the net?

Oil prices crash.

Taxes not paid for state workers and teachers pensions. Nobody is working so here do states get the tax money?

I am tired just thinking about where we are at, you don't want me to guess our WORLD FUTURE IN TRADE.
Old March 30, 2020, 17:59   #23
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
It isn't over yet Sir.
I agree there are politicians that would love to do it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but the question still remains,,and unanswered,,just whom in the heck they got to pull it off in a gunned up country of plus 300,000,000 people?

The short answer,,is still no one.

As for the voluntary,,,meaning no one is forcing you to do a darn thing,,staying at home in a pandemic is a pretty good idea.

You and I are both retired,,,stocked up pretty good from past conversations,,where do we need to go during a pandemic?????

About only thing that could "make" me run around,,during a pandemic,,would be to take care of family and friends,,or,,,,,,,if they decide to draft my old ass back into uniform for the effort underway.

And I REALLY don;t wish to go to NY.

Old March 30, 2020, 18:27   #24
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
When all this is over. Hmm. Maybe a weekend of hookers and blow. That will be all I can afford by the time they raid the the rest of the economy.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2020, 18:29   #25
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quick comment on the toilet paper. Wife is fine with my hoarding long as it's kept to basement. All this in gargage is result of a sale Kroger ran for six weeks from basically Thanksgiving till end of year. Was a special deal if purchased five packs and most see no need for 40 rolls in a single purchase but I had a manufacturer's coupon, printed store coupon and electronic coupon able to stack on sale price and it was almost free out the door. Filled our allotted T.P. storage area in basement and kept bringing it in.

Bought like 240 rolls in just over a month and were already fat with it. Till end of January all that toilet paper in garage was embarrassing to explain if someone visited to her. By end of February I was a freaking genius and the few folks who saw it she tells it's not there anymore. She does not want to stand in line hoping to get the days limit then repeat with others shoving people around trying to get in front of the line.

Had site work Friday that required me to cross I-85 at first major exit as enter Georgia coming south twice and every fuel stop and drive through was backed up to the entrances. Half the tags in the pile-ups appeared to be on black Escalade's, Suburbans, etc full to the brim with people and New York plates. A later site had me cross I-85 again farther south at U.S. 441 crossing and every fuel and food stop was swamped with half the tags being New York again to best of my ability to scan. Florida, North Carolina and Georgia are the three top states news is saying New Yorkers are fleeing to. Saw on news a roadblock keeping people from travelling to.the Florida keys unless had homes, business or proof of reservations. Most people being turned around had New York plates.

Mayor of Atlanta is on t.v. and radio news daily telling people to stop congregating in Parks, the Beltway Trail and especially Piedmont Park. Said today enough warnings if does not stop she is closing all parks in Atlanta so condo livers won't be able to walk dogs and have to keep dog poop in a bag I reckon. While most people are following the recommendations enough are not if get some carriers mixed in with the crowds at public parks Atlanta could be the next NOLA or Detroit with emerging crisis. People are pissing me off. Sent all my help home, giving partial pay, working by myself and not going in any client facilities with a huge nut to make each month to break even in a small business. Will be forced to dip into savings by next week to pay bills at work if something doesn't change. Am waiting on a large check that will carry my expenses six to eight weeks if client has the cash flow to pay it. Odd times but am playing by the rules, others need to as well or we could have worst case.
Old March 30, 2020, 18:32   #26
Bawana jim
Registered

Only thing I can see that will defiantly make it all worse is screwing with our money. Run away inflation will kill this nation over night. People live paycheck to paycheck and are two paychecks behind as of today. Prices start rising then the country will fall over dead.

The Chinese flu turned out to be an amplified managed decline, the end of the process and people destroyed financially. It's the economy that will set who we are now and what America becomes.
Old March 30, 2020, 18:39   #27
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Huey, snowbirds of NY down for the summer. I say cut off the air conditioners and let's see who could make it. It wouldn't be pleasant even for me, but I lived in SFL for a few years. The summers were great when the trash finally departed.

Old March 30, 2020, 19:42   #28
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
When all this is over. Hmm. Maybe a weekend of hookers and blow. That will be all I can afford by the time they raid the the rest of the economy.
Got whole hog,,,make it a three day weekend,,blow it all....

Old March 30, 2020, 20:19   #29
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Got whole hog,,,make it a three day weekend,,blow it all....
I doubt I'll have any money left before the next 3 day weekend to spend on hookers and blow after the disinfection. They shut everything down. 4th of July is probably soonest before the hookers feel comfortable. Blueberry pop tarts are better BTW. I'm still having to choke down the strawberry, but have my stash of blueberry I'm sitting on is just in case the real SHTF.

Old March 30, 2020, 20:53   #30
johnnycobra
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 26209
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Quick comment on the toilet paper. Wife is fine with my hoarding long as it's kept to basement. All this in gargage is result of a sale Kroger ran for six weeks from basically Thanksgiving till end of year. Was a special deal if purchased five packs and most see no need for 40 rolls in a single purchase but I had a manufacturer's coupon, printed store coupon and electronic coupon able to stack on sale price and it was almost free out the door. Filled our allotted T.P. storage area in basement and kept bringing it in.
Huey,
Hate to jump in a thread unannounced, but your pm box is full.
Hit me if you are able. Will throw in a free roll of TP and a stick of jack links jerky
johnnycobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2020, 23:13   #31
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
i bought long term storage food stuff and flu meds in qty for 6 people in early january, and people in the store looked at me funny. all stuff you could get in any grocery store then that is shy now.

i have meds on 90 day intervals, and about 90 days backed, so i am good for 6 months. toilet paper i don't use by the ton, so have about 12 rolls or so.

plenty of steel and brass and lead in hand.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2020, 00:28   #32
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
I doubt I'll have any money left before the next 3 day weekend to spend on hookers and blow after the disinfection. They shut everything down. 4th of July is probably soonest before the hookers feel comfortable. Blueberry pop tarts are better BTW. I'm still having to choke down the strawberry, but have my stash of blueberry I'm sitting on is just in case the real SHTF.
Blueberry ain't that bad,,,,strawberry is tha dawg though.

Old March 31, 2020, 06:54   #33
Bawana jim
Registered

Winco brand is better than the pop tart toaster pastries, bigger and more fruit filling. same wrapping too.
Old March 31, 2020, 07:43   #34
cotter
Registered

FALaholic #: 23754
Orders from .gov are as many described, essential traffic only. In the big city nothing has changed, people everywhere, rural is slower than usual. Saw gas at $1.39 the other day with average in the $1.45 range (but still seeing $1.79 in places). My vehicle is back on a keep full status. Stores are recovering, tp shows up and goes away briskly with limits in place. Blueberry poptarts in good supply last check.
Just as I have always pushed 'walmart' calibers for firearms (not anymore cause they are panzies) I try to have devices that use standard batteries, 123 and 2032 being my oddballs but they cam be found at many stores these days.
Food preps, plenty on hand with the fresh variety being the only weakness until they can come into season. Have purchased to fill the last few places in the freezer and replace what ate yesterday. Always drag cold/flu medicine out of bargain bin and can go for a while on inventory, plenty of my multi-vitamins, no prescription meds. Have shared N95s with family, maybe wish I had more before this is over but have several better P100 respirators to back them up.

Local PDs are seeing the loyalty of their employers, they have no PPE, have no PPE in their future. They will not remain in the picture if the wuflu gets too far out of hand, they are not stupid. Sure that new kid that wamts to be chief one day may be around but he will be alone.
The peak has yet to arrive, grocery store and amazon workers are starting to show up with wuflu. Who's going to keep buying their products as internal infection rates rise? Somebody threw April 15 out for some antifa troubles... A little before the peak but peak enough perhaps...

Powder is dry and closer at hand tham normal
cotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2020, 08:07   #35
cotter
Registered

FALaholic #: 23754
Also add that my preps allowed me to be that far ahead with buying last minute. As they were panic buying clorox wipes I was casually buying gallon jugs of bleach (on clearance no less). While they were panic buying fresh meats I was casually buying canned goods and beans/rice. TP, well always have that I have a girlfriend who comes and visits. I swear she must eat that stuff 😁
cotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2020, 10:09   #36
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Wife and I are using spare time to organize some of the stuff we piled on steel storage racks in random boxes. She had about two dozen boxes roughly 2'×2'×3" full of stuff given to her by dental supply reps over the past decades. Opened one that was still taped shut and never opened to find a gross (144 packs) of these.

Expiration date printed on back of packages is 12/2020 which we broke two open and wipes were as moist as new and we kept out two dozen packs and put the rest in 50 caliber ammo cans to help keep any that may not have ultimate seal from drying out as age past expiration date. See how they could possibly go bad unless they dry out. We have found all sorts of sensitive skin non latex surgical gloves in 100 count boxes from various manufacturers, loop over ear dental face masks of varying quality, some very nice, others price point samples for cheap practices but more masks non the less.

Mostly we are finding tooth paste in sample size tubes, manual and cheap electric toothbrushes, sample size bottles of mouthwash and lots of coffee cups with medical trade logos. Have found some dental tool barriers can find a use for but will save in case a real issue arises, society collapses and she can trade dental services for items needed as people with toothache will pay almost anything to make it go away. Also found some disposable gowns/lab coats for nasty mouth patients that dental workers end up covered with their nastiness. If ever dip snuff or chew tobacco in front of wife she will break out tablet and show pics of all the people with partial or complete lower jaw removed then the mess of reconstruction of extreme peridontal patients along with oral cancer pics, she is rabid about that subject.

At least we have enough toothpaste to last for a decade sorted into boxes of just toothpaste and other items identified and stored with similar and labeled. Have several hundred more basic masks, dozens of boxes of gloves, various barriers, fair amount of medical grade hand soap for scrubbing hands sterile and identified stored and labeled. Still have some boxes left to sort so no telling what else we may find. Between her hoarding dental supplies and me all sorts of stuff we have a mountain of work but finally time to attack it.
Old March 31, 2020, 10:34   #37
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
I think the only thing I may have missed is protective masks in bulk and maybe some extra sanitizing wipes for being out in public(right now I have plenty, but could see running out in 2-3 months).

I think one big upgrade I might look to in the future and start researching is to get myself off the electrical grid with a mix of solar and wind turbine.
wanneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2020, 10:47   #38
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think the only thing I may have missed is protective masks in bulk and maybe some extra sanitizing wipes for being out in public(right now I have plenty, but could see running out in 2-3 months).

I think one big upgrade I might look to in the future and start researching is to get myself off the electrical grid with a mix of solar and wind turbine.
As an FYI if have the discount chain "Big Lots" next door to Harbor Freight here in Mayberry, they are getting fresh deliveries of hand wipes in jumbo containers daily. Limit two per customer but nobody says you can't come back in ten minutes and teller will recognize you as many people as coming through store. Drive by at least half dozen times per day, before 11 am it's a ghost town, by noon and after it's a mad house. YMMV.
Old March 31, 2020, 11:44   #39
Shoots High
previously "powderhead"

FALaholic #: 18717
Does anyone know for certain just how long a roll of toilet paper lasts your household? In my home, it's just my wife and me, and we have separate bathrooms. So, what we have done is write the date that a new roll was begun inside the roll. Now we will know for certain just how long a roll will last and consequently how much will be need in the future. In my mind, this is just a better way of addressing the issue than just mindless putting paper on the self.
Shoots High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2020, 12:02   #40
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Wife goes at least three rolls to my one.
Old March 31, 2020, 12:39   #41
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoots High View Post
Does anyone know for certain just how long a roll of toilet paper lasts your household? In my home, it's just my wife and me, and we have separate bathrooms. So, what we have done is write the date that a new roll was begun inside the roll. Now we will know for certain just how long a roll will last and consequently how much will be need in the future. In my mind, this is just a better way of addressing the issue than just mindless putting paper on the self.
Friend commented yesterday his wife ran out of kleenex in the house so she set a half roll of tp out next to the sink in the bathroom. Friend said he felt like he killed his best dog when he accidently knocked the half roll of tp into the toilet.
Old March 31, 2020, 12:51   #42
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
You have to prepare for Two Major Things:

1) The coming shit

2) Other People's REACTION to the coming shit.

Jarhead
Old March 31, 2020, 14:10   #43
Shoots High
previously "powderhead"

Quote:
Yeah well, my wife is so full of sh!t a roll will last her a whole year.
Old March 31, 2020, 14:16   #44
Shoots High
previously "powderhead"

Quote:
Understandable since ladies can't flick the pee off like we can. Hurrah for the boys. And while we're on the topic, that's another reason why women don't belong in combat roles.
Old March 31, 2020, 14:45   #45
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Is it OK to quote my on post? Anyway, I was mistaken, I found my rice.. Have plenty, and pasta too. Still wish I had some powdered milk but will get by.

One thing I had depleted was my stored fuel. I was waiting a little farther up into the year before laying in my “hurricane” gas. I did not figure on the corona. I was able easily correct the situation though, and at dang cheap prices too! I am pretty good on food, and actually eating up some pretty old cans of things that needed eating up anyway. Just hope I get to restock someday.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2020, 17:08   #46
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
Quote:
Went to batteries plus and purchased two bulk packs of lithium AAs and AAAs in case unable to keep up charging nicads if grid fails. Also an extra pack of CR123s and assorted button batteries back in January. Keep lithium in my night vision anyway due to 10 year shelf life and 6x energy density. Batteries can be a PITA.
Got three words for you, and I'd be surprised if you don't already know what they're going to be.

Solar panels.

Rechargables.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2020, 17:36   #47
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
As for to answer the OP's questions.

We were already in good shape on our preps. Wife is an avid couponer and regularly got 48 pack cases of TP for around $8 a case so we probably have 200 rolls.

When I was growing up, we ran out of TP regularly in the outhouse. I know there are many on here that would laugh and poke fun at that when they read it, but it is the honest truth. We would use catalogs, junk mail, even old socks if we had to.

I am short of medicines that are specific to lung infections. Which this sickness seems to cause secondary bacterial infections that often do folks in.

I do have a nebulizer with a lot of albuterol that is often used for asthma and stuff, but I doubt that it would be enough for something as serious as this.

I have a 5 gallon air compressor though that has an automatic switch when the pressure drops below 90 psi though. I may be able to rig up something with that and turn the pressure down to whatever is needed. I saw where someone was using snorkeling masks to give to hospitals in Italy and hooking them up to cpap machines so it is something that I have been researching because I am lacking in it.

There's no way to be prepared for everything that can go wrong. But like most everyone else, we're doing the best we can.

We are not on lock down here where I'm at, but we have been limiting our trips out in public places to no more than as absolutely necessary. Fridge, freezer and pantry and cabinets is stocked about as well as can be.

We are noticing a lot of out of state vehicles around here too. State patrol has ran several off from parking on the side of the back roads.

My little sis was in a local pawn shop just today and there was 4 guys telling the owner that he came down from NY and was camping and was wanting to buy a pistol. I kid you not. Guy certainly was sticking out like a sore thumb and was miffed when the pawn shop owner told him he couldn't transfer a handgun to a non-resident.

Guy was not happy, but then immediately asked about buying a sword after that. You folks that carry, let this be a reminder of the times we live in.

As soon as new yucks camping supplies start to run low, I have no doubt that they're going to be preying on the locals. They're not getting all "walking dead" because they're afraid of the snakes and butterflies.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2020, 19:23   #48
okiefarmer
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 3248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoots High View Post
Problem solved

Old March 31, 2020, 19:25   #49
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
Quote:
As an FYI if have the discount chain "Big Lots" next door to Harbor Freight here in Mayberry, they are getting fresh deliveries of hand wipes in jumbo containers daily. Limit two per customer but nobody says you can't come back in ten minutes and teller will recognize you as many people as coming through store. Drive by at least half dozen times per day, before 11 am it's a ghost town, by noon and after it's a mad house. YMMV.
I'll keep an eye out for that thank you.
wanneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2020, 19:27   #50
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
The Lithiums are mostly for night vision and tactical lights. Can see a man trying to spin a crank on the side of his thermal scope or night vision monocular during a night time firefight. ;-)

Since we were talking about TP, I decided to see what amazon had. I have not written a treatise on toilet paper, but most of the brands had a rather Chinese whiff to them. I think I will stick to my crazy bear brand

Last edited by raubvogel; March 31, 2020 at 19:47.
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote