The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old March 23, 2020, 08:35   #1
C. Stockwell
Registered

FALaholic #: 82337
Is a FAL shotgun possible?

What technical challenges would there be in making a 12, 16, or 20 gauge FAL shotgun? Would a standard FAL upper be able to accept a purpose-built shotgun barrel? Would the mag well be big enough to accommodate a larger magazine, considering shotshells are bigger than 7.62 NATO?

Besides the barrel and the magazines, I don't see any other technical issues. Perhaps the shells wouldn't generate enough gas, but the FAL does have an adjustable gas system.

Edit:

Just to see, a 12 gauge 2.75" shell is short enough to fit into a FAL mag, but the rim is too wide (forgot about rim versus rimless). Though, looks like a 20 or 28 gauge shell could probably fit no problem.

Last edited by C. Stockwell; March 23, 2020 at 09:29.
C. Stockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2020, 22:29   #2
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
I'm all for crazy custom projects, but you may have too much time on your hands with the COVID-19 quarantine.
Old March 25, 2020, 11:30   #3
JColdIron
Registered

FALaholic #: 24587
Couldn't you do a .410 with a 45 conversion barrel and such?
JColdIron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2020, 11:48   #4
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
I'm all for crazy custom projects, but you may have too much time on your hands with the COVID-19 quarantine.

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2020, 12:46   #5
Trypcil
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
28, or 20 bore for the barrel, maybe! Magazines would be a limiting factor, let alone the rails - gigilileeee would have a say! Or simply 18 in a 30 round mag/410 conversion, would be great for Pigeon in the Pea harvest, and more manly than a .22lr conversion - though a great option for the neighbour's cat.
Back in the day, we had trainer smellies in 22lr - I always remember the notion of 'throwing a thread, where a rope would be better', when thinking of those rifles, a 22lr in 303, fiddly!! A smle in 410, aren't they single shot? There was an 8mm Fal about at one time I seem to recall - haven't heard of a Fal shotgun yet!

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression... There is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we must be most aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." -- William O. Douglas, US Supreme Court Justice from 1939-1975

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti
Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote