Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old March 08, 2020, 16:49   #1
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
300 Blackout "pistol" shaving copper?

I got mad during all this shit that went down in Virginia last couple months.

So bought an 8" Palmetto upper in 300 Blackout.

Cleaning it after the first shoot ~50 rounds Winchester white box, I noticed a fair amount of copper-spew on the tail of the bolt where the gas blows in from the gas tube.
Noticed some copper spray around ejection port too.

Anybody else notice this with 300 Blackout?

I haven't had the gas block off, so don't know size of gas port. Judging from the reflection of the hole on opposite side of oily bore, looks to be damn big. Probably idea is it should cycle subsonics with a porthole that size.

Anybody know whether subsonics cycle with Palmetto pistol uppers in 300 BO?
I've got a big jug of Trail Boss but aint never loaded any yet.
Vox-S suppressor is in jail until next winter.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2020, 20:04   #2
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
Don't know much about PSA's stuff.

Have you looked down the bore real closely? Sounds like you may have had a burr sticking down. Should be able to fell it with a patch.....?
Old March 08, 2020, 22:00   #3
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig220 View Post
Don't know much about PSA's stuff.

Have you looked down the bore real closely? Sounds like you may have had a burr sticking down. Should be able to fell it with a patch.....?
No visible burr.

Patches run smooth.

Can barely even see the port. Actually, only way I can see it is if the light is positioned just right, I can see the REFLECTION of the port on the bottom of the bore. Rifling is strong. That port is hiding up in the groove.

Could be strong new rifling carving the bullet some. Might benefit from a JB treatment early.

Old March 08, 2020, 23:18   #4
yovinny
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
I shoot lots of cast lead in my 16" Anderson and dont get any metal fouling blowback...
My 8.5" psa pistol dosent like my lead reloads (needs throating) and only eats jacketed, but no metal fouling blow back Ive been aware of....though it did shave brass and the ramps and chamber end needed some dremel and craytex attention .
All my ammo is also full boat supersonic with 1680,,,just tenths off max.
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2020, 08:56   #5
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
I got mad during all this shit that went down in Virginia last couple months.

So bought an 8" Palmetto upper in 300 Blackout.

Cleaning it after the first shoot ~50 rounds Winchester white box, I noticed a fair amount of copper-spew on the tail of the bolt where the gas blows in from the gas tube.
Noticed some copper spray around ejection port too.

Anybody else notice this with 300 Blackout?

I haven't had the gas block off, so don't know size of gas port. Judging from the reflection of the hole on opposite side of oily bore, looks to be damn big. Probably idea is it should cycle subsonics with a porthole that size.

Anybody know whether subsonics cycle with Palmetto pistol uppers in 300 BO?
I've got a big jug of Trail Boss but aint never loaded any yet.
Vox-S suppressor is in jail until next winter.
My PSA 8" 300BLK pistol will usually cycle subs with no suppressor on. Not 100%, but close. I haven't noticed copper shavings on mine, but I almost always shoot suppressed now and I don't know that I'd see copper shavings within all that gunk.
Old March 09, 2020, 09:17   #6
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
I have a 10.5" PSA upper in 300 Blk. It cycles fine with or without a suppressor using factory Hornady 190 Sub X rounds, Hand loads with Hornady 208 BTHP and a charge of AA1680 and another load using Lil Gun with the 208 grain Horn BTHP. My 16" 300 upper also cycles with or without a suppressor using the same loads. I have not noticed "copper spew" residue in either gun. I am thinking about changing out the buffer spring in the 10.5, as it seems a little lite when I pull the charging handle back compared to all my other AR's. I can't remember how I ended up with that spring or what make it was. I found it in one of my parts boxes when I was tossing together the 10.5 build.

FWIW: I have not tried trail boss in 300 Blk but I have had great success using AA1680 for sub loads.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2020, 15:20   #7
Grinder
Registered

FALaholic #: 3407
My PSA 300 BO pistols both run super or subs fine. I do use 300 BO mags for the subs
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2020, 18:03   #8
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Had more than a few PSA's come into my LGS for fixes to problems they had. The PSA store was on the other side of town but did no repair or warranty in house. Everything had to be sent to HQ for work. Anyhoo, I noticed that a lot of them had brass and copper shavings inside the upper. Most of it came from the feed ramps. The ramps had plenty of sharp edges as well as machine marks that really chewed up the bullets and brass.

You might want to look at the feed ramps/lugs and polish any rough spots and sharp edges.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2020, 19:29   #9
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

I'm not getting "shavings."

I'll take pics next time I shoot it.

What I'm getting is definitely a "spray" of copper that's coming down the gas tube, and then depositing noticeably on the ass-end of the bolt, and around forward area of the ejection port.

I'm not really worried about it. I just think its an interesting feature of the gun at this point.

I'm 99% sure the deposits are copper. But, it is a new upper, so it could be some sort of new-gun coating burning off. I forgot to do my usual "new gun" cleaning before going to the range. When I arrived at the range, I realized this. So all I had was a nylon brush. I gave the bore a few strokes with the nylon brush and a few drops of CLP on the bolt lugs, then just started shooting.