The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old March 08, 2020, 15:42   #1
Milsurp Obsession
Registered

FALaholic #: 82998
Wanted US made wood for my L1A1, so why not get the best.

I recently picked up my first FAL, an early Century FrankenFAL with an L1A1 kit on an unmarked Argentine receiver. I've always loved the look of the early L1A1's and FALs with wood furniture, so I decided to go that direction with the rifle. Most would probably just spring for surplus wood, but being the law abiding citizen that I am, I wanted to make sure that my rifle was 922r compliant. That left me with two options....Ironwood or find a complete set made by Flypaper here on the FAL files. After much deliberation, I realized that the Ironwood sets do not have the metal tabs on the handguards. I set out to find a complete set of Flypaper L1A1 furniture, and was lucky enough to acquire one of his last complete sets.

Once I received the set, I quickly began the finishing process...5 coats of hand rubbed BLO finished off with a hand rubbed and buffed coat of Howards Feed n Wax. I couldn't be more ecstatic with the results, and I just HAD to share.

I almost feel as if my frankenfal is not worthy of such beautiful hardware.

If you're ever interested in finding US made wood furniture for your L1A1/FAL and are considering Ironwood...hold that thought, and try to find a set from Flypaper. This man has the talented hands of a God. Well worth the price, and you will not be disappointed!

Now if my tools would just arrive so I can get it on the rifle!

Cheers!

-MO

Last edited by Milsurp Obsession; March 08, 2020 at 16:18.
Milsurp Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2020, 16:05   #2
imacoonass01
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
That came out great. Now, we need to see it on your L1A1.
Old March 08, 2020, 16:14   #3
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp Obsession View Post
find a set from Flypaper. This man is has the talented hands and is a gift from God. Well worth the price, and you will not be disappointed!
FIFY, but yes
Old March 08, 2020, 16:20   #4
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacoonass01 View Post
That came out great. Now, we need to see it on your L1A1.
Yes I would be especially interested in seeing the new more better version!!!

Anonymous
The FAL is not a "platform".
It is a lady-lookin' foreign made collection of sexy Belgian curves that intimidates the shit out of today's Pajama-boy males.

It's not an Assault Rifle, it a Sport Utility Rifle.
Near Sighted Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2020, 16:20   #5
Milsurp Obsession
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
FIFY, but yes
Good fix!
Old March 08, 2020, 16:22   #6
Milsurp Obsession
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near Sighted Sniper View Post
Yes I would be especially interested in seeing the new more better version!!!
I definitely plan on having it sent off to Gunplumber for a flash hider install and refinish. Wondering if I should just wait until that is completed to install the furniture!
Old March 08, 2020, 17:33   #7
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 536
I would wait. Why risk damaging the wood in transit?
I just sent him two kits. He has about a 12 to 16 week wait, just to let you know.

Anonymous
The FAL is not a "platform".
It is a lady-lookin' foreign made collection of sexy Belgian curves that intimidates the shit out of today's Pajama-boy males.

It's not an Assault Rifle, it a Sport Utility Rifle.
Near Sighted Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2020, 19:20   #8
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
I definitely plan on having it sent off to Gunplumber for a flash hider install and refinish. Wondering if I should just wait until that is completed to install the furniture!
Send it to Mark and let him fit it to the rifle,,,,,new wood is often "tight",,,might need a "little" fitting.

Besides,,,when it comes home,,,opening the box is so much more fun knowing its all done and ready to shoot.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2020, 20:29   #9
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
As a owner of 4 sets of Flypaper handguards, 3 buttstocks and a couple of pistol grips. all are perfect fits on metric and inch rifles.
Old March 08, 2020, 20:40   #10
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Flypaper FTW. Pass it through Yellowhand for finishing, and it is totally awesome

Old March 08, 2020, 20:52   #11
ppeeks59
Registered

FALaholic #: 80696
Quote:
If you are not afraid of hand tools (ok -- some are used with a good high-torque slow-speed hand drill), re-sizing the muzzle, cutting new threads and the keyway, and timing and installing a FH is not difficult at all. Just get the right tools, measure twice & cut once, and go slow. Mark is The Master (and no one with any common sense will argue that) so you can never go wrong hiring him, but DIY is just plain fun, and very rewarding.
ppeeks59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2020, 05:28   #12
crashmaniac
Semper Gumby
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 78557
^^^ This, now I roll my own, but I still have Mark do certain things, there is a special feeling from working on your own tho.

Wood looks great .If the rifle needs refinished wrap that wood up and save it until rifle returns.
"And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ".
--Good OL' TJ
crashmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2020, 13:21   #13
Milsurp Obsession
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppeeks59 View Post
If you are not afraid of hand tools (ok -- some are used with a good high-torque slow-speed hand drill), re-sizing the muzzle, cutting new threads and the keyway, and timing and installing a FH is not difficult at all. Just get the right tools, measure twice & cut once, and go slow. Mark is The Master (and no one with any common sense will argue that) so you can never go wrong hiring him, but DIY is just plain fun, and very rewarding.
I’m good with working with my hands and have threaded items before, but the reduction of the barrel diameter before the threading is what’s keeping me from doing it on my own. I just don’t have any way to do that at the moment and make sure that the job is done correctly and accurately. I’ve restored quite a few milsurp sporters but those were mostly parts replacement and stock refinishing. I also built a complete Swedish m40 lahti from spare parts.

Im pretty set on having Mark refinish, and although you can’t make the L1a1 cuts on an early century build with an Argy receiver due to the location of the serial, I’m contemplating having mark engrave with the proper argy markings. Since I want to have that work done I might as well wait and have the flash hider installed correctly as well.

I did just pick up a buttplate and hardware from Mark today, thanks for the M&Ms It look like the buttplate will need a little fitting, nothing I won’t be able to handle though. Wood is easy. Metal on the other hand....

I’ll make sure and test fit the stock before I end up sending it off, if there’s a significant amount of fitting required, perhaps I’ll send it in separate from the rifle and have him fit it. If not, I’ll most likely hold onto it and not risk damage during shipping.
Old March 09, 2020, 15:05   #14
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
My 2 cents is this. For wood as pretty as that, I would spent the money and have GP completely go through your rifle and have him do his magic. The results with your new wood will be an object de arte. Something to admire.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2020, 17:12   #15
Milsurp Obsession
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Flypaper FTW. Pass it through Yellowhand for finishing, and it is totally awesome

Wow man. That's a special set you have there! Amazing!
Old March 09, 2020, 19:43   #16
ppeeks59
Registered

FALaholic #: 80696
Quote:
... but the reduction of the barrel diameter before the threading is what’s keeping me from doing it on my own. I just don’t have any way to do that at the moment and make sure that the job is done correctly and accurately. .... .
Here's the tool:
https://www.cncwarrior.com/0-57-Annu...it-p/25759.htm

Works great. Sometimes the barrel is slightly constricted just enough to impede insertion of the pilot into the muzzle (maybe caused by CAI clamping the barrel too tightly when they simply turned the originally installed FH to get it off?), and in that case some polishing of the last inch or so of the barrel is needed in order to use the cutter.

You also need # 24812, 9/16-24 RH Die, and # 24811, 9/16 - 24 RH Die Starter TAT for 7.62, if you don't already own them. And some high-quality cutting oil.

And you could definitely use a very small diameter (like 6mm) diamond disc pin on your Dremel tool, as is available from ARTCO, for cutting the keyway.
ppeeks59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2020, 19:33   #17
Milsurp Obsession
Registered

I decided to do a mockup and fit the stock to the rifle today. I was also able to fit a few more US made parts for 922R....a metric folding charging handle from DSA and a US made gas piston from FA, as well as the stock set and also changed over all of my floorplates and followers. I just HAD to have a wooden carry handle to go with the wood stock, so I opened my wallet and picked one of those up as well.

I really digging the way its turning out. Just need to do some more fitting on the buttplate and she will be ready to go other than the other work mentioned above!

Old March 13, 2020, 19:38   #18
sgt.stinky
Registered

FALaholic #: 12873
so nice, I have one inch set from Fly Paper finished by mark, its so nice I don't even want to look at it for fear it will age, fade etc. I have another set from Fly Paper with an imbel kit that Mark has right now, and one more inch set waiting to be sent.
Old March 13, 2020, 20:47   #19
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I'm pretty good with wood, when it's not on the clock. My "military grade" finish (which the customer doesn't pay for, but is part of a build), tends to be . .. well, military grade. You get a steaming of dents, a slip patch or allthread repair of cracks. A 150# sanding, and 5 coats of true oil with a 220# sanding between #4 and #5 (which is hand rubbed). That's it. You aren't paying for it anyway. It's an unpaid hour stretched over three days.

Functional, not ugly, but not museum quality either. Can't, 'cause there's no money in it, and this isn't just a hobby.

But Yellowhand (Paul) gets a satin sheen that is just perfect . . . for those willing to pay for it. Better than GI, but not so gaudy as to be ill-fitted to a military rifle.