The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > General Information > Reference and Data Section: a FAL FAQs and Library

Notices

Old July 17, 2018, 01:33   #1
hyrax222
Registered

FALaholic #: 81282
G model Identification

Exactly what makes a "G" model (other than serial no? ) Pics is what I need as I dont know the parts proper names...
hyrax222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018, 05:15   #2
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Google is your friend...likely to bring back lots of pics you can use if you search “G series FAL” or something along those lines.

Generally speaking, the flashider (at the end of the barrel) is going to be long with vents in it, the handguards around the gun barrel are going to be wood, sheet metal, or plastic, and the buttstock that you hold against your shoulder is going to be wooden.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns

Last edited by VALMET; July 17, 2018 at 05:21.
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018, 07:31   #3
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
I personally like to differentiate between a G prefixed serial FAL and one that has been amnestied, Generally in conversation what is being referred to is what I call an "amnesty G", which is one of 1800 some odd FALs which were accidentally imported with the verboten sear cut receiver. While they do have a few semi only parts, they were pretty much an as-issued select fire weapon. In an event which would never happen today, the BATF issued a seriallized amnesty list and allowed these rifles to stay in circulation with the provision that none of the semi only parts are replaced with selective fire ones. As such, they have acquired a cachet and collectibility status making them one of the "holy grails" of FALdom. While these rifles have a G-prefixed serial number, that is actually not uncommon ( particularly in Europe ), so that is why I like to think of the "grails" as 'amnesty Gs". Just a personal differentiation.

An amnesty G will be type 1 receiver, sear cut with a select fire ejector block( albeit with some semi only parts ,it will be on the BATF list. Valmets description would apply, although of course some of those characteristics will hold true for other variants.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018, 10:16   #4
planemarty
Registered

FALaholic #: 76497
How many pictures do you want? I have boatloads of fairly detailed pictures of some G's.
planemarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2018, 05:00   #5
Falcon
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 2049
hyrax- In case you haven't seen this, here's a link to an G-Series FN FAL online collectors reference: http://www.gseriesfal.com/
Old July 18, 2018, 07:12   #6
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Good call, Falcon - I had totally forgotten about that site.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018, 15:00   #7
hyrax222
Registered

FALaholic #: 81282
Thanks All!

Thanks!
hyrax222 is offline   Reply With Quote