The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2019, 13:21   #101
davedude
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 20538
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth
Posts: 5,039
Some of the trash dug these last few hunts. Gotta dig mid tones if you wanna find gold.

trashdugoct-nov2019 - Copy
__________________
There's only two reasons we showed up here, to party and kick some ass, and we're almost out of beer!
davedude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2019, 14:54   #102
RG Coburn
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 27406
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,203
Damn! You dun good boy!
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2019, 15:25   #103
Timber Wolf
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 805
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern U.S.
Posts: 5,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedude View Post
Some of the trash dug these last few hunts. Gotta dig mid tones if you wanna find gold.

trashdugoct-nov2019 - Copy
Thank you for cleaning the environment.
__________________
First rule of gun fighting: "have a gun!"

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 15:33   #104
davedude
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 20538
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth
Posts: 5,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Thank you for cleaning the environment.
Thanks for noticing that! All trash I dig is carried out and disposed of properly. I even pick up trash if I can fit it in the finds bag. And of course I leave no trace of activity. You can't tell I was there.
__________________
There's only two reasons we showed up here, to party and kick some ass, and we're almost out of beer!
davedude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2020, 18:36   #105
RG Coburn
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 27406
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,203
I managed to sneak in a bit of detecting lately,while this January has been pretty mild here. Ground isn't even frozen.
Three trips out,and a coin each time. Tonight,I found the big one at the top.Never expected to find that one,not in a million years. Date is 1842.
There is actually an interesting story behind why these were circulated.
This is what it looked like,when new...
https://www.coinsandcanada.com/token...?title=&id=128
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces956.html

RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020, 10:54   #106
davedude
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 20538
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth
Posts: 5,039
Nice finds RGC! Bucket list stuff for me. Hope this year is better for the old stuff than last year. My oldest was a 1918 or 1919 Merc dime. Can't make out the bottom of the last digit so not sure exactly.

curbstripmerc2 - Copy

1919merc2 - Copy

You might notice the coil in the photo above says Minelab. That's because it is mounted to my new Minelab Equinox 800. The ATPRO is a great machine, love it but I think the NOX is better. I have been going to places I hit the the ATP and find stuff I missed with the NOX.

Here is a couple rings I found with the NOX in an area I'd swept already with the ATP. This one is just heavy gold plate and it is messed up-the plate abraded away in spots. Not sure what the metal underneath is yet.

goldplated2 - Copy

This one is marked 925 but the stones are fake.

925ring2 - Copy

Here is the total clad for the year 2019. Have not counted it all yet but there is $110 in quarters alone and I found 16 one dollar coins (not shown) Most of this was with the ATPRO.


2019totalclad_copy2
__________________
There's only two reasons we showed up here, to party and kick some ass, and we're almost out of beer!
davedude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020, 13:52   #107
RG Coburn
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 27406
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,203
I might pop on a Minelab this spring. My white's MX sport does find lots of stuff,but it's as heavy as a tank. Sometimes I'll go over an area more than once,and use a different detector. That,and go over areas in different directions.
Mercury dimes are always nice to find,in any condition.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020, 14:58   #108
Tip_drill
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 82930
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: firearm collector, Mesa Arizona USA
Posts: 642
Man, if those old indian head pennies could talk

Seriously, some cool finds there.
Tip_drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020, 19:01   #109
davedude
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 20538
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth
Posts: 5,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip_drill View Post
Man, if those old indian head pennies could talk

Seriously, some cool finds there.
You are not kidding. I'd crap my pants on the spot finding 18xx anything. Well, maybe not but still that is what it is all about for me is the old stuff.

RGC you know those Indian head pennies look to be in very nice condition? Pretty fabulous condition actually. Better get them in a flip for protection.
__________________
There's only two reasons we showed up here, to party and kick some ass, and we're almost out of beer!
davedude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020, 21:18   #110
RG Coburn
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 27406
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,203
You should be able to find old stuff in Texas. There's been people there longer than here in Michigan. Where do you generally search? Places I search here were just family farms back in the day. I don't usually find much in the way of jewelry.I've found rings and pendants and such,but usually plated stuff.
I'd love to text-drive that Minelab for a day or two. See if it responds different than my units. I don't doubt that I've passed over stuff. We all do. You would have to dig literally every metal tone,no discriminating,to not miss anything.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2020, 22:24   #111
davedude
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 20538
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth
Posts: 5,039
Quote:
I might pop on a Minelab this spring. My white's MX sport does find lots of stuff,but it's as heavy as a tank. Sometimes I'll go over an area more than once,and use a different detector. That,and go over areas in different directions.
Mercury dimes are always nice to find,in any condition.
Your Whites MX is supposed to be good detector. I'd keep if for backup if you do pop for the minelab eventually. I'll keep my ATPRO.
I'm kinda having a hard time with the learning curve on my Equinox. One of the things it finds more of is trash and I am having difficulty trying to ID trash targets. Deep cans and steel eat my lunch. Signal like big silver. How the friggin hell does a soda can wiggle its way over a foot down? I don't need to waste my time with that. I hope eventually to be able to discriminate out that and other kinds of trash. I was getting semi-competent with the ATPRO in that regard.
Today I went back over a portion of a park I have hit hard before with the ATPRO. I was concentrating on mid tones and digging everything in the gold range on up. Finally dug wheat pennies there for the first time. Got a 1948 D and some really toasted wheatie I have not been able to date. This place I had dug three silver coins so it did not make sense to not find wheats. The NOX gets it done. Always get more clad too, kind of a surprising amount. Wore out my knees before I could get what I wanted done.


Quote:
You should be able to find old stuff in Texas. There's been people there longer than here in Michigan. Where do you generally search? Places I search here were just family farms back in the day. I don't usually find much in the way of jewelry.I've found rings and pendants and such,but usually plated stuff.
I'd love to text-drive that Minelab for a day or two. See if it responds different than my units. I don't doubt that I've passed over stuff. We all do. You would have to dig literally every metal tone,no discriminating,to not miss anything.
Yeah there is supposed to be old stuff here, not east coast old but still old. I mostly do parks, curbstrips and schoolyards. Intense urban area. Been doing plenty of research, the history of the areas here is fascinating.
__________________
There's only two reasons we showed up here, to party and kick some ass, and we're almost out of beer!
davedude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2020, 21:24   #112
RG Coburn
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 27406
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,203
I watch a youtube channel..."CrazySeeker" ...a father/son production over in the Ukraine. The kid did get an Equinox 800 recently,but I noticed in most of his videos lately,he reverted back to his old Garrett Ace 250. They find all sorts of neat old stuff there. Stuff from way back,too,like Sythian arrow points,occasionally. Lots of 1700's-1800's coins. They're kinda low-budget,but quite entertaining as well.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 04, 2020, 21:33   #113
RG Coburn
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 27406
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,203
Ground is thawing out finally up here....
Haven't had the detector out yet,but I've been hitting the old dump down the road,and scored a couple nice old bottles. Found a nice old beer bottle,brown,with a raised letter in circular seal. Around the seal it says "pure without drugs or poison" with the bottler's mark inside.Bad thing..broke about halfway up the neck,but its cool enough I think I'll try sanding the break smooth. Scored a wire bail Ball pint jar at Goodwill for a $1.30 today,but no glass lid. I was just starting to head home from the dump,poked thru a spot,presto...a blue glass Ball lid.Fit perfect.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2020, 09:46   #114
davedude
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 20538
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth
Posts: 5,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Ground is thawing out finally up here....
Haven't had the detector out yet,but I've been hitting the old dump down the road,and scored a couple nice old bottles. Found a nice old beer bottle,brown,with a raised letter in circular seal. Around the seal it says "pure without drugs or poison" with the bottler's mark inside.Bad thing..broke about halfway up the neck,but its cool enough I think I'll try sanding the break smooth. Scored a wire bail Ball pint jar at Goodwill for a $1.30 today,but no glass lid. I was just starting to head home from the dump,poked thru a spot,presto...a blue glass Ball lid.Fit perfect.
Old relic bottles are something I've not run into yet but I am keepin my eyes open. Hope you can get out soon RGC.
I've not been able to do much so far this year, starting off slow seems like. Found a thin silver chain out in Florida last month, first silver of the year. Now here in just the last week I dug a silver and turquoise ring and a silver 1943 George Washington quarter so maybe things are looking up.

In situ ring recovery. I was using my new 6 inch sniper coil for the Nox 800.

03022020sixinchcoil7 - Copy

Makers mark and "sterling"

03022020sixinchcoil - Copy

Check this thing man, a ginormous coin/medal. It is a US Mint Thomas Jefferson bronze memorial coin. Found it a few feet away from the sterling ring in a curbstrip.

03022020sixinchcoil4 - Copy

At a new permission yesterday the old boy owner was saying I would not find anything there because he is too tight to lose coins. Ha Ha oh yeah? Found me a 1943 silver George Washington in his front yard, along with a '54 and a '57 wheat.

03072020 - Copy
__________________
There's only two reasons we showed up here, to party and kick some ass, and we're almost out of beer!
davedude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2020, 15:03   #115
RG Coburn
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 27406
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,203
Was poking around the old dump again today,came home with a bag full. Best ones were a Presto canning jar(one I didn't have) A 1940's milk bottle from Arctic Dairy (Detroit) and a Pyrex baby bottle,vintage 40's-50's. Also found some earlier pop and beer bottles,but necks broken. I am mainly looking for raised letter cast glass,what most call "embossed",in old beer,pop,or quack medicine,but I'll take anything I come across. I collect canning jars for some inexplicable reason. I guess I just like them.Something about them,knowing they were a prized possession of some farmer's wife,who put her time and efforts into using them to ensure her family had food socked away. I can appreciate a girl like that.
I took the MX Sport out yesterday and scoped out an old home site,at least where I thought one was. I didn't find any farm stuff there (it was all wooded over) but I did end up finding .45,.380,9mm,and .223 cases,some bullets and slugs,a Wheatie(1952) and a Canadian 1 cent 1981,along with old trash,which I bagged out.looked at another spot nearby,and might have found the actual house site,but didn't run a coil over it,as it was getting late. Found a concrete and stone stairstep,and what looked like maybe a root cellar,concrete,about 6 foot wide,ten foot long,maybe 5? feet deep. It was filled with water and stones,open on the top,so I could not get a accurate idea how deep. Lots of hunter and other trash around it. I frickin' hate it when people just dump their modern crap out in the woods.
That Equinox 800 is a sweet unit. I seriously want one. Have you ever used the 600? Or know someone with one? I'm trying to get an idea of how big of a difference there is between them,if it is worth the extra coin for the extra options. I'd really like to drive one for a couple hours,see how they work compared to what I run now.


Edit:

Hair pin...

Jar..milk bottle..baby bottle..

Cool find tonight...


Found this tonight..

Last edited by RG Coburn; March 08, 2020 at 19:40.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2020, 23:06   #116
davedude
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 20538
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth
Posts: 5,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Was poking around the old dump again today,came home with a bag full. Best ones were a Presto canning jar(one I didn't have) A 1940's milk bottle from Arctic Dairy (Detroit) and a Pyrex baby bottle,vintage 40's-50's. Also found some earlier pop and beer bottles,but necks broken. I am mainly looking for raised letter cast glass,what most call "embossed",in old beer,pop,or quack medicine,but I'll take anything I come across. I collect canning jars for some inexplicable reason. I guess I just like them.Something about them,knowing they were a prized possession of some farmer's wife,who put her time and efforts into using them to ensure her family had food socked away. I can appreciate a girl like that.
I took the MX Sport out yesterday and scoped out an old home site,at least where I thought one was. I didn't find any farm stuff there (it was all wooded over) but I did end up finding .45,.380,9mm,and .223 cases,some bullets and slugs,a Wheatie(1952) and a Canadian 1 cent 1981,along with old trash,which I bagged out.looked at another spot nearby,and might have found the actual house site,but didn't run a coil over it,as it was getting late. Found a concrete and stone stairstep,and what looked like maybe a root cellar,concrete,about 6 foot wide,ten foot long,maybe 5? feet deep. It was filled with water and stones,open on the top,so I could not get a accurate idea how deep. Lots of hunter and other trash around it. I frickin' hate it when people just dump their modern crap out in the woods.
That Equinox 800 is a sweet unit. I seriously want one. Have you ever used the 600? Or know someone with one? I'm trying to get an idea of how big of a difference there is between them,if it is worth the extra coin for the extra options. I'd really like to drive one for a couple hours,see how they work compared to what I run now.


Edit:

Hair pin...

Jar..milk bottle..baby bottle..

Cool find tonight...


Found this tonight..
Nice finds RGC! I like glass but have no where to put it. I do have quite a bit of mason jars though, and I will find space for them as I preserve stuff from the garden every season. last year was pretty good, put up quite a few quarts. Im going to have a tough time finding space for this seasons preserves but will make the room somehow. I'm inspired by my grandmother who used to put up some 500+ quarts every season to get the family thru winter in northern Maine.
Have you taken the MX to the bottle dump? Gots to be some coins n relics there. The cellar hole too, that is a mandatory detect.
Here in the parks I run into soooooooo many Corona beer bottle caps it will take the enjoyment out of detecting sometimes. I just can't imagine why toss those on the ground when there are trashcans all over the place. And why quaff so many beers during juniors soccer practice anyways? Same goes for the square can tabs. Millions of those everywhere that someone had to work to get off the can just to throw it on the ground. ??? Old style pull tabs too. But I'm cleaning that crap out if I dig it so next time I'm there I will have an easier time detecting good targets.
I have not used the 600 and really did not consider buying one. I want all the bells and whistles. I dont know anyone who has a metal detector of any kind either aside from the internet. You might try going to the Minelab website and downloading the user manual for the Equinox 600/800. Differences are explained there. Minelab has just come out with a new model called the Vanquish which have the multiIQ at even lower price point.
I'm still way down on the learning curve on the Nox 800 but am starting to see what an awesome machine this thing is. I am teasing stuff out of the ground that my ATPRO just could not even begin to see and the ATPRO is a great machine. The NOX sees everything. And it is DEEP with the 11 inch coil.
My first target with my new six inch sniper coil was in my pounded backyard which I have gone over every inch of many times with both my ATP and my GTI2500. I did not think there was anything left there but the NOX unmasked a clad quarter that had a rusty nail in the same hole with it. Boom. A quarter is usually a screaming signal but because of all the iron around it it was invisible to all except for the NOX.
Some people can't handle the NOX, they sell them and go back to whatever they had. It's all good, different strokes. What ever works best. I'm not picking up my ATPro or my GTI2500 to metal detect anymore but will keep them as backups and loaners.
I been hearing about the Nokta Simplex. Supposed to be bad ass for cheap.
You can run my 800 anytime if you are in the area. let me know. In addition to the sniper coil I just bought some Aukey aptx low latency bluetooth earbuds to replace the wireless headphones that came with the NOX. The regular headphones are hot and uncomfortable in summertime.
__________________
There's only two reasons we showed up here, to party and kick some ass, and we're almost out of beer!
davedude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2020, 19:32   #117
RG Coburn
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 27406
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,203
Tonight's finds on the old homestead site down the road.
A couple old jack knives,a toe tap...some buttons..the little stone is our state stone..the Petoskey. 350 million years old.

The general service button says "Scovills extra" on the back.Still has the shank. the Mohawk I think is from bib overalls. The Carhartt is from the same brand we wear today. this button is circa 1900..

Found this tonight on my way back home from voting. stopped by a spot where I could see a bunch of old bottles dumped just off the road a bit in the woods.Mostly 70's-ish stuff,but I saw the bottom of this,and got curious. Surprised it was intact.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2020, 22:25   #118
RG Coburn
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 27406
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,203
Searched a different site tonight,on the same field. Little newer homestead,probably 1890's-1900-ish site. Found a 1900 indian cent,1925 wheat cent, a plow-hit crotal bell(jingle bell) and an old barn door roller,cast iron unit. Also found about 10-15 lbs of scrap iron,like old strap hinges,cultivator points,general farm scrap. The indian cent was setting on the surface,pinged with detector,and there it was. 1925 cent was 6 inches down or so.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2020, 21:01   #119
RG Coburn
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 27406
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,203
Hit the same site again today,but after it was tilled over.
First targets were buckles. Hit three right off,in a row. Then found the crotal bell. Then found those reins guides on the left. Those are probable 100 year old spark plugs.Even found a sad iron! The Willys-Knight emblem is from a vehicle,circa 1914-1933. Was the original company before Willy Overland.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2020, 10:14   #120
davedude
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 20538
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth
Posts: 5,039
Nice finds RGC! I'm glad someone is getting out. I fragged my knee and have been in recovery mode now for three weeks. Maybe this weekend but probably not, its been slow. Ice it up every evening seems to help alot.
I overworked it getting up and down digging targets. Knew better too. Will be using the other knee for awhile when I get back to diggin.
I did one hunt out in the country looking for a friends lost ring. Did not find it or much of anything either, total bust hunt but it was great to get out to the country.
__________________
There's only two reasons we showed up here, to party and kick some ass, and we're almost out of beer!
davedude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2020, 20:57   #121
RG Coburn
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 27406
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,203
Hit the same spot again tonight,found 3 more harness buckles,a silver plated fork,an 1891 indian head cent,and some other do-dads. This spot just keeps producing artifacts. The iron signals there are insane. Found another bag full of scrap iron. I would have dearly loved to have seen this farm as it stood a hundred years ago.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2020, 22:57   #122
RG Coburn
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 27406
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,203
Hit the abandoned dump today,looking for bottles...First trip thru was a recon. I spied a crescent of white just exposed a bit. I started clearing away the dirtthinking its a crock. Nope...A JUG!

So I thought,hmmm,wonder what else is under there? So I go back again,this time with my little pick and a shovel. These are the bottles I dug,but left there.

Found this laying under the surface. Pretty good clue as to how long the pile has been there.

This was laying near by. As they say in Australia.."that's a beeeg crock..."

And now,the stuff I took home..
Nice,almost mint quart milk bottle,nice little 1/2 pint milk,from a Flint,Mi. dairy
(McDoanld Dairy) nice little ash tray,an unusual mason jar lid for the wire bail type,and a whiskey/scotch bottle,that says "Lord Calvert" all over it. Took that just out of curiosity to research.Also found a 2 quart Ball blue mason jar,but on getting it home,noticed it was cracked.Oh,well.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2020, 21:40   #123
RG Coburn
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 27406
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,203
Hit a honey hole at the dump. Been killing it in the old bottles department,and scored a couple other neat objects as well.







Looks like I basically found a full box of unfired 12 ga. shells. Western xpert stamped. And some other stuff.

I thought this was initially a makeup compact,but was surprised what it turned out to be!

I love finding old soda bottles from local bottlers. These are towns near me.



This! This sucker is OLD! This was probably dumped here around 1930-ish. So it isn't some modern CVA thing.The hole on the side is threaded for a drum and nipple,so percussion lock style.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2019 The FAL Files