Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 1911 Files

Notices

Old February 28, 2020, 14:31   #1
Pluribus
Testudo Sicario
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5600
So, I have this pile of parts...

... for a 1911 kind of gunz and, not unlike how some Falgunz get built, I realize if I had that, this, these and, a receiver then well, I could bolt up some kind of Gubuhment model cause, it says ďModel of the 1911a1Ē so, you know, thatís my guidance for form if I do this.

I have all info needed in the build area as Iíve re-built and, fit as build of new parts before so, my only real lack is whoís the what in the realm of quality receivers. Iíve built on several early Essex with no issues not otherwise seen on others considered the doggies dangles. The last 1911 that I built about a year and a half ago, I built on an officers size frame from Fusion arms using a Springfield Armory compact slide and barrel from the late 90ís which went together like a dream. Not looking for something particularly high-end at all though, as this slide that I intend to use is a heathen commie Norinco Slide, barrel, and bushing that I think is worth a budget build and, I intend to do so with my youngest boy.

I ask for any suggestions as well as experienced opinions for a steel Government, blue or, parked receiver. I have about (approx) 80% of my smalls on hand from spares so that stuff is not a problem. Just checking for a good budget receiver.

Thanks in advance and of course,

Goodwill

🌞

Never hate your enemy, it only clouds your judgment.
Pluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2020, 17:57   #2
Steve in Allentown, PA
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 30456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluribus View Post
. . . whoís the what in the realm of quality receivers.
. . . a budget build . . .
Not sure how closely "quality" matches "budget" so here's my experience and opinion.

Not long ago I finished up two builds using JEM frames and have used Caspian frames previously.

While I like JEM, I think Caspian is better in terms of hole locations. If you're not in a hurry, I suggest checking out Foster regularly https://www.caspianarms.com/product-...ster-receivers.

Foster is a part of Caspian and is where Caspian sells its blemished parts at a pretty decent price. Availability of Foster is first come first served and stuff is not always available. So, check the site every day until something shows up that you want.
Steve in Allentown, PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2020, 21:48   #3
Pluribus
Testudo Sicario
Bronze Contributor

I had seen the foster receivers listed as Caspian blemishes however, they only seem to have stainless steel listed and Iím looking for carbon steel. Iíll keep checking. I guess I think in terms of budget being less than two or $300 being anything more expensive is being race or, match quality and Iím just not looking for that here in this case. Just a basic government model in type and form. Iíve looked at some of the rock island armory frames however they never seem to be available everywhere I look theyíre either out of stock or back ordered. Iíll take a look at the JEM too, I looked there for the first time a couple of months ago and had forgot about them.

Just a basic service grade 1911a1 with the serviceable spares I have and, acquiring the 4 parts I need plus a a1 receiver.

Old March 03, 2020, 00:44   #4
catmguy445
Registered

FALaholic #: 50311
I used a Caspian receiver to build a 1911, and had great luck with it. That was about 3 or 4 years ago, but at that time, Caspian offered steel, aluminum, and titanium frames for 1911's. I used the titanium to build a lightweight Commander, which was more expensive, but it seems to me that the steel frames were pretty decently priced.
Old March 03, 2020, 09:17   #5
Pluribus
Testudo Sicario
Bronze Contributor

In the fwiw category, I ordered a 4130 carbon from Foster. According to Walt, the great help I had when I ordered, it would take a week to ten days til ship so they can finish the cuts. He explained that all of the cuts such as the rails are not finished until an order has been placed for them. That’s why I think, I thought they were out of carbon. Then, they finish the cut and ship. I guess they begin the blemish selection before they’ve even completed all of the machine work. Anyway, I just ordered one yesterday from Foster and we will see what we have when it arrives. $142 shipped from Vt to Ks.

I can’t wait. I even want to giggle about it.

Old March 03, 2020, 09:36   #6
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
I will be watching you here.

Expecting progress reports and PICs.

Going to check out Foster, would love to build a Commander flavored 1911 myself, but just know I've got too many irons in the fire already. B'sides, traded away all my spare 1911 gizzards awhile back.
It isn't like I really NEED another 1911, but.......!

Good luck with your 1911 build.
Old March 07, 2020, 10:59   #7
Pluribus
Testudo Sicario
Bronze Contributor

I just stopped by to giggle. I received a text notification on Friday afternoon from Caspian that my receiver payment was processed and, item was shipped to the dealer of my choice.

Oh boy, oh boy!

I’ll take some pics for you Mainer, I haven’t done that sort of thing in quite some time actually so, I may have to set something up with one of the hosting sites for pictures because I haven’t done that in quite some time and, the last time I posted pictures on the falfiles was several years ago when we were still allowed to do that sort of thing without all the head tilting, tongue lolling and, eye squinting involved.

I did review some of my spares that I have set aside, some are new however, some of the used pieces I put into the usable category when I set them aside however, on second examination, being usable, they’re at the extreme end of their tolerance value so, I think I’ll go ahead and replace them. I will probably run an ad in the market place here to see if anybody has any newish usable spares. You know, the guys that bought a standard 1911 something or other and they replaced the standard hammer with the ring hammer etc, the guy that took out the standard issue sear or, disconnector or, slide release for an extended one cause, they wanted to be all IPSC-ey and stuff.

I’ll probably giggle clear through till Tuesday when it is supposed to get in and the shop is open.

Old March 07, 2020, 11:47   #8
Steve in Allentown, PA
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I will probably run an ad in the market place here to see if anybody has any newish usable spares.
I've got a drawer full of newish spares. What are you looking for?

I have a stainless 9mm Springfield slide collecting dust if you're building a 9mm.
Old March 07, 2020, 12:49   #9
Pluribus
Testudo Sicario
Bronze Contributor

Hi Steve, as of today the parts I want to replace from my pile are:

1911A1 Hammer (always needed)
1911A1 Sear
1911A1 Grip safety
Disconnecter

I need a thumb safety and, extractor too but, I figured to use a new one ea.so as to avoid the agitagration (my ex's word) of trying, if possible, to fit an already fit thumb safety or, extractor. I'm sure you know what I mean. It can be done buuu-uut.

Thanks for the reply and taking the time to look. I'm more than happy to pay fairly as well as possible trade stuff. I'll go dig through stuff and see what fodder I may have just in case. It's not all Fal or, 1911 stuff. lol...

Doug

Oh, I'm thinking 1911A1 .45 acp Gov in carbon steel on this. That's the stamping on the slide so, that's my form guidance, lol. Thanks for the 9mm slide offer.

Old March 07, 2020, 13:22   #10
Steve in Allentown, PA
Bronze Contributor

I should be able to help you with most of the things on your list. Let's take this off-line to avoid boring everyone else.

PM sent
Old March 07, 2020, 13:34   #11
Pluribus
Testudo Sicario
Bronze Contributor

You bet, thanks Steve.

PM sent

Old March 19, 2020, 13:19   #12
catmguy445
Registered

FALaholic #: 50311
Pluribus,
I've got a couple of Colt hammers around somewhere that I switched for Commander-type hammers. Don't have any idea what they might cost, and they're actually for Colt Series 70's, not for 1911A1's. But if you'd like one, let me know. Also give me an idea of what they're going for these days, cause I don't know. Or let me know what you want to pay for them. I wouldn't imagine it would be very much. Thanks.
Old March 25, 2020, 15:36   #13
Pluribus
Testudo Sicario
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmguy445 View Post
Pluribus,
I've got a couple of Colt hammers around somewhere that I switched for Commander-type hammers. Don't have any idea what they might cost, and they're actually for Colt Series 70's, not for 1911A1's. But if you'd like one, let me know. Also give me an idea of what they're going for these days, cause I don't know. Or let me know what you want to pay for them. I wouldn't imagine it would be very much. Thanks.
Sorry I missed this, I haven't been on in just over a week I believe. Thanks for the offer, I'll need to check on prices for a Colt series 70 spur hammer. I'll look around and get back to you via PM after some info gathering. I honestly don't know what a Colt would go for and, I still want to see how inexpensively I can build this project. With what ever's left over, so to speak.

Old March 25, 2020, 15:58   #14
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
So, I have this pile of parts pistol seeds...... for a 1911
FIFY
Old March 26, 2020, 19:35   #15
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
Don't you just HATE it when those spare parts lying around turn into a completed firearm?
Old March 26, 2020, 21:13   #16
Pluribus
Testudo Sicario
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryN View Post
Don't you just HATE it when those spare parts lying around turn into a completed firearm?
Itís killing me.

Iíve taken some pictures already but, I still got to figure out a way to post them. I forgotten how to do it directly from my drive to the Falfiles and/or, I donít have a hosting page set up with anybody yet so I need to do that if I am unsuccessful posting pictures directly. Iíll figure it out.

Old March 31, 2020, 17:09   #17
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I promise if you send them to me will build them into a complete pistol and send you pictures with a test target. Out of site, out of mind and money still in your pocket rather than upset wife. Darn, you should send me $20 with them for saving you several hundred bucks.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote