The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old February 08, 2020, 09:41   #1
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
DPMS, Bushmaster and TAPCO Sites are Shuttered by Remington

Looks like Remington is dumping everything but hunting rifles and shotguns. Too much competition and places like PSA keep AR prices low. Hopefully Bushmaster will get a new owner that will give the brand and the ACR the attention and funding it needs.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/is...rCpT2R1iyrddG0

Remington Outdoor Company informed RSR at the SHOT Show that they will be focusing on their core hunting and shooting brands – AAC, Barnes, Marlin and Remington. Bushmaster, DPMS, StormLake Barrels and Tapco will no longer be produced, with the exception of the Bushmaster BA50.

TTAG spoke to a Remington representative who said the direction on the brands isn’t clear at this point and they were emphasizing sporting-directed firearms from Remington and Marlin at the SHOT Show.

The American Parts Company, commonly known as TAPCO was a long-time major parts supplier and accessories manufacturer. Originally starting as a family run mail order company over 25 years ago outside of Atlanta in Kennesaw, Georgia.

TAPCO was big in the FAL, CETME/G3, AK, and SKS parts markets. They made American made 18 USC 922(r) compliant parts.

TAPCO was the place to get US made parts to make foreign guns legal for importation and more importantly. They made replacement parts for folks who wanted to build their own.

Bushmaster and DPMS were two established names in the AR-15 world. Bushmaster started in Bangor, Maine in 1973. The company went bankrupt and was purchased by Richard Dyke in 1976 and moved to Windham, Maine.

In 2006 it was sold for $70 million to Cerberus Capital Management (the parent owner of Remington). The company became part of what was then called the Freedom Group.

DPMS started when Randy Luth founded Defense Procurement Manufacturing Services (DPMS) in 1985 in Osseo, Minnesota as a precision machine shop for manufacturing M203, M14 and M16 parts for U.S. military contracts.

In the later 1990s, the company employed 30 people selling Colt 1911 and AR-15 parts and accessories and moved the company to Becker, Minnesota. DPMS later began producing AR-15 style rifles. Freedom Group purchased DPMS Panther Arms on December 14, 2007, the same year it purchased Marlin Firearms.

Under Remington’s management. Both Bushmaster and DPMS had their production facilities closed and relocated around 2011. First production moved production to Remington’s Ilion, New York plant and later to their newer facility in Huntsville, Alabama.

Now it appears the Bushmaster and DPMS firearms lines are being retired and closed altogether. As a long-time owner of Bushmaster ARs, it’s a shame.
Old February 08, 2020, 09:55   #2
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
In some ways, the end of an era, but also the expected result of corporitization.
My first AR was a Bushmaster A1.
Also saw TAPCO logo on an electrical box cover at a stoplight, recently...?

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2020, 10:07   #3
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
As they drive more AR companies out of business they will achieve their goal of banning the AR. if you look at the future with the military going away from 556 then 556 will go up in price. A young man should probably see the future and buy while it's all cheap. Prices will go up again.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2020, 10:18   #4
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
Cerberus was a pretty useless company. "The Freedom Group" ran everything into the ground it touched.
wanneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2020, 10:29   #5
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Cerberus was a pretty useless company. "The Freedom Group" ran everything into the ground it touched.
Did Mitt Romney run it?
Old February 08, 2020, 12:48   #6
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Reminds me of what Bangor Punta did to so many companies back in the day.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2020, 14:06   #7
BarnOwlLover
Registered

FALaholic #: 81552
Same guys who own Remington damn near ran Chrysler into the ground to the point where Fiat now owns them.

But that's what happens when you have guys who own companies who have no passion behind it and just look to make money.
BarnOwlLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2020, 14:23   #8
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
I kind of was wondering if something was going on given all the DPMS parts blowouts on CDNN's site
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2020, 17:43   #9
STG_58_guy
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 65886
I would like to thank Remington for the Model 722 in .222 Remington and the 870. The former taught me that it was possible to shoot dimes repeatedly at 100 yards. The latter introduced me to hunting.

That said, Remington my now go away.
STG_58_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2020, 00:31   #10
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
Tapco makes blinky traffic signs now

https://www.tapconet.com/product/bli...stop-sign-r1-1

From a link shitter 🥺
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2020, 10:22   #11
medicmike
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
So Long TAPCO

Sounds like Remington is dropping TAPCO, Bushmaster and DPMS.

Tom Fuddery or is the AR market that saturated?

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/is...are-shuttered/

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2020, 10:44   #12
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Well, it sounds like the guts of Bushmaster are alive in Windham Weaponry and Remington has fugked up all they've touched recently, namely Marlin. Tapco still rhymes with Crapco, so not much of a loss there and DPMS was always a second-string company in the AR world.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2020, 10:54   #13
Bawana jim
Registered

I think Remington slash Bushmaster has been in a lawsuit over Sandy Hook. They are blaming the gun and Remington had the deep pockets. Suit has gone on long enough that it's really cost some money. If it becomes a precedent then all gun makers can be held responsible for what is done with their product.

I suspect Remington is dumping Bushmaster so they are no longer able to be sued by liberal courts. I believe a lot of AR companies will go under if Remington loses its battle.
Old February 09, 2020, 11:22   #14
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
In memoriam:

– Harry Truman

"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

Know your rights; the future is unwritten.
Texgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2020, 11:32   #15
BarnOwlLover
Registered

I don't know why people have this view that AKs are just fine as designed yet think it's OK to put tacti-cool shit on AR-15s, which is a design that's just 10 years older or maybe less than the AK-47.

Hell, look at the AK-74M upgrade kits that are slowly make their way to Russian Army AK-74Ms and the AK-12 and AK-15 (7.62x39mm AK-12). Russians are modernizing the AK just like we've done the AR-15/M16/M4.

Really, the only new rifles out there that aren't AR-15 or AK-based are stuff like the AUG, the G36, FN SCAR, HK433, ACR, SA-80 and such. And even those rifles are mechanically relatives of the AR-18/AR-180, which Armalite designed as a poor man's AR-15.
Old February 09, 2020, 12:12   #16
Bawana jim
Registered

The real change I see is in the use of optics on assualt rifles. Extending the range soldiers can hit at is forcing the military to come up with longer range cartridges. Which is going to make body armour change. It's a cycle I guess, add more to the gun and you need to add more to the gun. Tapco tried to make money on it but didn't make good enough products I guess.

I think I only have two tapco mags I got in a trade and I have never used them.
Old February 09, 2020, 12:35   #17
AGG
Registered

FALaholic #: 27127
Soros + Cerberus + Remington--- predicted this would happen--- ceasing manufacturing of firearms is more effective than any bans!!!

Tony
AGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2020, 13:04   #18
hkshooter
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmike View Post
Sounds like Remington is dropping TAPCO, Bushmaster and DPMS.

Tom Fuddery or is the AR market that saturated?

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/is...are-shuttered/
Both. TAPCO has been irrelevant since the mid 2000's, Bushy and DPMS have been irrelevant in the AR world since at least 2010. AR makers are about as prevalent as 7-11's these days.
And yes, there's an appearance of Fuddery here. Methinks it's simply money wise and has FKall to do with the anti's shit but hey, conspiracy theory and shit, ya know. TAPCO never made guns and Bushy and DPMS haven't sold decent retail items for well over a decade.
Old February 09, 2020, 16:44   #19
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
TAPCO the blinky light company isn't the The Auto Parts Company that sold gun stuff. Hasn't ever been, won't ever be.
kfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2020, 09:40   #20
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
The old Tapco catalog had gurls.
Old February 10, 2020, 09:41   #21
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

The Tapco catalog had gurls.
Old February 10, 2020, 10:42   #22
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
I was just looking at TAPCO's website a few days ago. They didn't really have anything to sell anymore; just some plastic stocks, magazines, and stuff. Mostly junk that I didn't need. I'm not surprised the brand is shutting down.

Is anybody surprised DPMS and Busmaster are also being shuttered? The market on ARs fell out when Trump got elected. It's probably hard for mid to upper priced AR manufacturers to compete with the low priced options out there. I'm guys like PSA have driven market price down to the point where there's too little margin in the product for a big outfit like Remington.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2020, 10:45   #23
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2020, 11:08   #24
ddbtoth
Registered

FALaholic #: 3495
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG View Post
Soros + Cerberus + Remington--- predicted this would happen--- ceasing manufacturing of firearms is more effective than any bans!!!

Tony
If there is money to be made, someone will do it.
ddbtoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2020, 11:43   #25
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsuta View Post
The Tapco catalog had gurls.
Good point!

Tapco really started to suck when they ran out of $99 Imbel and G1 kits.

They had some interesting concepts, but executed them cheap and cheesy.
Old February 10, 2020, 16:51   #26
pmf
Registered

FALaholic #: 2923
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
Good point!

Tapco really started to suck when they ran out of $99 Imbel and G1 kits.

They had some interesting concepts, but executed them cheap and cheesy.
My favorite was a FAL SAW butt stock. I wish I'd have bought one of those for the humor value.
pmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2020, 17:11   #27
BarnOwlLover
Registered

These companies' days were numbered as worth while entities when Cerebus took over control of Freedom Group and F-ed things up like they did with Chrysler. Owners of the company didn't learn then, and I doubt they'll learn now.

Maybe Bushmaster and such might get picked up by a company that cares about more than gouging money from a stone. Granted, with every mom and pop gunmaker making $600-800 AR-15s, the only ace they have is the ACR that's been neglected as far as support since Magpul licensed the design to them.

But by then, the CZ Bren 2 MS 16.5 will be out, FN will still have their Military Collectors' M4 and M16 replica ARs out as well as the SCAR, and HK may have a semi-auto 433 out.

As I pointed out, this is what happens when companies have no passion behind them and just try and milk money out of everything.
Old February 10, 2020, 17:43   #28
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmf View Post
My favorite was a FAL SAW butt stock. I wish I'd have bought one of those for the humor value.
For the love of Pete. Talk about bastardizing a firearm!. Next thing you know you will be putting an AR collapsible stock on everything.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2020, 18:09   #29
crffl
Registered

FALaholic #: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
For the love of Pete. Talk about bastardizing a firearm!. Next thing you know you will be putting an AR collapsible stock on everything.

From back in the day...

"Any apologists who make excuses for those who fail in their contractual obligations to honor their word, only try to lower the standards for all." - Gunplumber 3/8/04
crffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2020, 20:57   #30
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Merged two duplicate threads.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2020, 21:18   #31
medicmike
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
I guess someone else will have to recycle Pringles lids into magazines...

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2020, 22:50   #32
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
When you consider that everything that Remington made other than basic bolt guns and shotguns were crap for many years, this does NOT come as a surprise. Remington's 1911s have a terrible rep, that other abortion of a pistol (R51?) that they tried to sell was only suitable for use as a trotline sinker, they were selling Remlins with major manufacturing processes skipped (rifling barrels?), etc. Their guns rust if you look at them harshly, and they put everything in a tupperware stock these days. Personally, I doubt if this measure will keep Remington afloat for long.
Old February 11, 2020, 06:37   #33
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
I thought hueyville liked the DPMS 308 AR bolts

Only Remingtons I have/used were the Model 8, 597 (decent rifle though if I wanted to crank the accuracy up I would grab The Russian), 700, and 870.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2020, 11:38   #34
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
My question is, who is the money behind this Cerebus group? Anyone know? It might explain a lot.

Rumors several years ago was that one or more anti-gun billionaire were buying up firearms manufacturers for the purpose of first squeezing out any profit then closing them down.
Whydah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2020, 11:54   #35
OMCHamlin
Registered

FALaholic #: 15205
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I truly believe that none of that was accidental on any level. If you can't sink the 2A with legislation, gut it from the supply end...
OMCHamlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2020, 08:35   #36
SWOHFAL
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin View Post
I truly believe that none of that was accidental on any level. If you can't sink the 2A with legislation, gut it from the supply end...
Expensive to take a bath playing SJW when your stated intent is to earn a profit.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Old February 12, 2020, 09:38   #37
OMCHamlin
Registered

FALaholic #: 15205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
Expensive to take a bath playing SJW when your stated intent is to earn a profit.
Remember the term "stated" intent...
OMCHamlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2020, 23:16   #38
STG_58_guy
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
In memoriam:

These realy need to get on the meme thread. TY.
Old February 12, 2020, 23:20   #39
STG_58_guy
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwlLover View Post
These companies' days were numbered as worth while entities when Cerebus took over control of Freedom Group and F-ed things up like they did with Chrysler. Owners of the company didn't learn then, and I doubt they'll learn now.

Maybe Bushmaster and such might get picked up by a company that cares about more than gouging money from a stone. Granted, with every mom and pop gunmaker making $600-800 AR-15s, the only ace they have is the ACR that's been neglected as far as support since Magpul licensed the design to them.

But by then, the CZ Bren 2 MS 16.5 will be out, FN will still have their Military Collectors' M4 and M16 replica ARs out as well as the SCAR, and HK may have a semi-auto 433 out.

As I pointed out, this is what happens when companies have no passion behind them and just try and milk money out of everything.
I loves AR collapsible stocks.
Old February 12, 2020, 23:21   #40
STG_58_guy
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post

Get woke. Go broke.

Just a business opportunity for the next guy.
Old February 13, 2020, 10:35   #41
SWOHFAL
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin View Post
Remember the term "stated" intent...
Even commies want a positive cash flow for themselves, though that often means using someone else's cash (negative cash flows for others are not their problem).

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Old March 06, 2020, 22:18   #42
mark214
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 10175
Thumbs up

Old Buddie @ the original Tapco sold a lot of FAL kits and compliance parts.

Days gone by..

https://www.falfiles.com/forums/show...ghlight=buttie

Last edited by mark214; March 06, 2020 at 22:26.
mark214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2020, 10:11   #43
blakefromtx
Registered

FALaholic #: 81658
The only thing TAPCO I've ever bought and used were their 30 round mags for my WASR-10. They work, but can't say they work good. I went back to see what others have said about them and noticed Midway had listed them as 'discontinued'.
blakefromtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2020, 11:38   #44
fal_762x51
Registered

FALaholic #: 16310
I got my G1 kit from Tapco and some US 922r parts.

The market has been saturated with AR and AK companies. I can build an AR for $400 with a PSA kit. It was natural to have businesses close because of small profit margins; especially with a conglomerate.

On day, PSA will be no more. Just as FAC.

The whole #woke movement is just retarded.
Old April 08, 2020, 01:34   #45
WESOMATIC
Registered

FALaholic #: 75796
Might be heresy, but I like the tapco T-48 handguard
Old April 08, 2020, 02:28   #46
APEXgunparts
Registered

FALaholic #: 61867
I read that the state of New York has ordered Remington factory in Ilion to close during the state shutdown.
Remington has offered to tool up to make needed medical equipment.

I suddenly had the thought of being in an ICU and seeing myself connected up to a TAPCO brand ventilator!

Richard
Mon-Fri 9am to 4:30pm MT www.apexgunparts.com
APEXgunparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 08, 2020, 07:10   #47
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

Still have this and still in use.

Old April 08, 2020, 07:45   #48
HenryIV
Je me souviens
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 80384
Quote:
Originally Posted by APEXgunparts View Post
I read that the state of New York has ordered Remington factory in Ilion to close during the state shutdown.
Remington has offered to tool up to make needed medical equipment.

I suddenly had the thought of being in an ICU and seeing myself connected up to a TAPCO brand ventilator!

Richard
That's a good one.
HenryIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 08, 2020, 14:48   #49
aardq
Registered

FALaholic #: 18645
A lot of companies, like the auto manufacturers, are sweating out this court case. If a gun maker can be held liable for misuse of their products, these companies will be in huge trouble. Every auto maker will have to hire hundreds of lawyers, just to defend all the lawsuits, from all the traffic accidents that their cars were involve in. This is scary!
aardq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 08, 2020, 14:50   #50
BarnOwlLover
Registered

Well, what's worse, cockface Cuomo insisting that a gunmaker (even a tarnished one like Remington) to shut down until further notice, or Remington making a ventilator with their hit and miss quality? I know that's kinda dark given this situation and with how shit is in NY/NYC right now, I wouldn't be willing to turn down any serious offers of help.