Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 22 Files

Notices

Old January 08, 2020, 04:56   #1
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26251
High Standard Target semi auto 22's

I'm looking into collecting these. Anyone else into them?

My first for my collection is a 5.5" 98% 1972 Supermatic Trophy w/papers and box.

My second is a 5.5" 1973 Victor marked "The Victor" on the barrel and "Victor on the left frame side. It is 98% with the steel rib. I guess both are what is referred to as "transitional" models with serial numbers, no 107, military markings and pre-ML series.

I've got my eyes on a very nice Model HB with 4" barrel.

Best Drop 8 time, 9.41, 8 for 8
6.5 Grendel AR15
parallaxbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 08, 2020, 21:04   #2
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
I don't collect them but I do have an HD. It's been a great gun and has taken an huge amount of game over the years.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2020, 00:50   #3
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Iíve got a Victor Model with a 5.5 inch barrel and 4 mags. Iím not sure of just when it was made, one of the guys I used to shoot with had one that he bought new about 1975 and our guns were with in 1000 of each other.

I also have a couple HD Military models, both with the 6 inch barrels and have 6 mags between the two guns. Iíve guy a good friend that has an HD military that he left with me for about 5 or 6 years that Iíd like to add to my collection.

I also have a 16 gauge shotgun too.

All of mine High Standard guns are great shooters.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2020, 14:35   #4
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Never was a collector of them but adore certain models

Lately valuation has went crazy particularly on some of the later models
For example older HDMs can still be had here under $500 in very clean condition and about a month ago we swapped a series II Browning Challenger for a near new in the box 1950s Supermatic.
That said same show there were a number of late target models all in the thousand dollar range

I am partial to the second series Supermatics myself
you have three basic variants:
1st series guns used a lever take down with a slide off barrel
2nd series had a push button but the barrel still slid off the frame
3rd series came out around the 70s ?
That's the one with the push button that engages a vertical barrel stud

Best of them in my opinion were the second series models from the 50s
push the button and bam' a barrel swap
The lever takedowns can stick and the stud arrangement can sometimes be an ass pain on certain guns but it was far more economical to manufacture

High Standard pistols won a few times in the Olympic events years ago
Colts and Rugers just were unable to compete at that level
Another little gem is up through the sixties High Standards were still the standard American assassination pistol
this started with the OSS suppressed HDMs fielded during WWII
later a suppressed Supermatic Target was taken off Powers when the Soviets downed his U2 over the USSR and currently resides in a museum in the Russias
It really wasn't until the early 70s that CIA shifted to suppressed builds on Rugers, mainly because they were just a bit quieter due to the enclosed action.
Thing to remember is HS had a division devoted to building up suppressed weapons for our government. For example the cans used on M3 grease guns were mostly High Standard products

The Mitchell guns were kind of bogus btw, I'd stay away from them

another interesting related weapon are Fiala's
they are a manually operated pistol quite similar to the earliest HS guns that came fitted with a detachable factory Walnut shoulder stock
ATF removed them from NFA some time ago as SBRs and now treats them like they do broomie mausers, yeah you can own them with the stock without a Tax Stamp/registration. As they are pretty unknown they sometimes crop on Gunbroker damn' cheap
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2020, 11:49   #5
Pluribus
Registered

FALaholic #: 5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
High Standards were still the standard American assassination pistol
this started with the OSS suppressed HDMs fielded during WWII
later a suppressed Supermatic Target was taken off Powers when the Soviets downed his U2 over the USSR and currently resides in a museum in the Russias
Powers pistol was a HDM-SM (suppressed, modified) with a 6" barrel but with the 3/4" expansion chamber at the muzzle making a total barrel OAL 6 3/4" The SM variant had a slide lock to stop the slide from cycling thus quieter upon firing with no slide clatter/chambering sounds. That feature alone is why it was (and was) called an assassins weapon.

HS collector for over 45 years. My collection though is no more, save for my pet HD that I used off and on competitively and, a blue Sport King that's just a joy to shoot.

P.S.

I've tried to insert/add pic but can't without some other cyber prosthetic.

Last edited by Pluribus; January 10, 2020 at 12:19.
Pluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2020, 14:37   #6
357ross
Registered

FALaholic #: 47543
Speaking of HD military's, is there anyone who still works on these?
357ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2020, 19:45   #7
paulo
Registered

FALaholic #: 11856
You could try Allen Aronstien Also check out the High Standard group at rimfire central.com
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2020, 20:01   #8
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
about a month ago we swapped a series II Browning Challenger for a near new in the box 1950s Supermatic.
Always like the HS, got one ( I forget which model ) and while it shoots beautifully, it is very mag and ammo fussy. Yeah, I know you have to tweak the mags but that's just too much fuss and feathers for a casual shooter. My favorite is a Browning Challenger II - more than adequate accuracy and has always been dead stone reliable with anything I feed it. I'd really like to find another.

ďI respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.Ē

ďThe consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.Ē Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2020, 20:35   #9
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
My HD military has been very reliable but I have always shot standard velocity ammo in it. My thinking was a steady diet of high velocity ammo might not be to good for it. What do you all use? am I being to cautious?

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020, 09:43   #10
paulo
Registered

FALaholic #: 11856
Stick with the standard velocity ammo. High Standard recommended SV for their pistols if I'm not mistaken.
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2020, 13:27   #11
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

That is correct.

6.5 Grendel AR15
Old January 12, 2020, 00:26   #12
grumpy1
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357ross View Post
Speaking of HD military's, is there anyone who still works on these?
Is there something that you are needing done?
Old January 12, 2020, 02:01   #13
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluribus View Post
Powers pistol was a HDM-SM (suppressed, modified) with a 6" barrel but with the 3/4" expansion chamber at the muzzle making a total barrel OAL 6 3/4" The SM variant had a slide lock to stop the slide from cycling thus quieter upon firing with no slide clatter/chambering sounds. That feature alone is why it was (and was) called an assassins weapon.

HS collector for over 45 years. My collection though is no more, save for my pet HD that I used off and on competitively and, a blue Sport King that's just a joy to shoot.

P.S.

I've tried to insert/add pic but can't without some other cyber prosthetic.

There are at least two displays in the russias with guns attributed to Powers
One is a 50s era suppressed Supermatic, the other contains a WWII vintage HDM that was most likely supplied lend lease to Stalin

The 1st time I saw an image on the Supermatic was in an issue of the English edition of Soviet Life magazine in the sixties, next time was later 90s online
Same gun, same display
A push button take down Supermatic with target sights, yeah no external hammer.. Anyways the Soviets were pandering at least two different guns as having been part of the U2 survival kit. One was WWII vintage, the other far later.

anyways HS was still doing government suppressed weapons contracts up into the sixties. By Powers' era they tech had radically changed from the wire screening over a perforated reduced barrel to baffle packs in front of a ported bbl.

Just my observation in studying company documentation over quite a number of years

My own view is was that the CIA and other agencies were bottomless pits of tax $$$s. Everything was constantly upgraded as models improved
nobody in those positions would be issuing WWII tech as evasion tech in the sixties or even the fifties. Constant cutting edge evolutions

I agree, this can get rather hotly contested
Old January 12, 2020, 02:32   #14
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterbay View Post
My HD military has been very reliable but I have always shot standard velocity ammo in it. My thinking was a steady diet of high velocity ammo might not be to good for it. What do you all use? am I being to cautious?
Okay, more opinion again.

HDMs a perfectly fine with high velocity ammo providing:
A...they are not already beat already to hell and back
B...if you replace the recoil springs

as far as A, well a fair share of HD's were damaged in takedown and reassembly resulting in internal damage
added to that there are older .22 autoloader pistols you really should not ever run HV ammo in. Great example are the vintage Reisings which were dead soft.

B is about the recoil spring. HDs were sprung for standard velocity fodder
later HS offered upgraded springs for the growing common HV ammo in the post war era.

After Numrich bought out the HS obsolete parts inventory the uprated springs used to be cheaply available, probably sold out in the early 80s
Some springs can be substituted today though

There are a very small handful of folks who work on HDMs
these days is several small shop SOTs who build suppressed OSS knock offs
most really don't work them much anymore as the HDMs turned semi scarce for them to turn bucks on total OSS pattern platforms but if you do some research you can likely find folks who were rebuilding that may be willing to work on one.
Some parts went scarce too
folks just cleaned out some of the Numrich inventory to resell on auction sites to lamebrains as well

anyways HDM frames are fine for HV use, sometimes the springs are not
just depends
Old January 12, 2020, 23:11   #15
grumpy1
Registered

Quote:
Okay, more opinion again.

HDMs a perfectly fine with high velocity ammo providing:
A...they are not already beat already to hell and back
B...if you replace the recoil springs

as far as A, well a fair share of HD's were damaged in takedown and reassembly resulting in internal damage
added to that there are older .22 autoloader pistols you really should not ever run HV ammo in. Great example are the vintage Reisings which were dead soft.

B is about the recoil spring. HDs were sprung for standard velocity fodder
later HS offered upgraded springs for the growing common HV ammo in the post war era.

After Numrich bought out the HS obsolete parts inventory the uprated springs used to be cheaply available, probably sold out in the early 80s
Some springs can be substituted today though

There are a very small handful of folks who work on HDMs
these days is several small shop SOTs who build suppressed OSS knock offs
most really don't work them much anymore as the HDMs turned semi scarce for them to turn bucks on total OSS pattern platforms but if you do some research you can likely find folks who were rebuilding that may be willing to work on one.
Some parts went scarce too
folks just cleaned out some of the Numrich inventory to resell on auction sites to lamebrains as well

anyways HDM frames are fine for HV use, sometimes the springs are not
just depends

Iíve replaced the springs in three HS pistols, my Victor and two HDM. I havenít checked lately, probably should get another couple sets of springs, but Brownells had a replacement spring kit for the HS pistols. IIRC they were made by Wolff springs. I havenít put a lot of rounds through any of them but my Victor Model has had probably 2k of mixed ammo put through it, most has been Remington Golden bullets and Yellow Jacket.

I have picked up a few spare parts when I find them. Iíve found a few parts for the HDM on a local classified ad page that were way too good to pass up. But itís better to have them and not need them than to need them and not be able to find them.
Old January 13, 2020, 04:42   #16
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

From Wolff Springs website. I have two 5.5 springs on order from them for my Victor and Trophy models. I have no idea how many rounds have been through either of them but plan on playing it safe.

Conventional Recoil Springs
Conventional recoil spring - conventional design 5.5 pounds, restores original factory spring specifications and function to pistol. Pak also includes an extra power firing pin spring.

SKU DESCRIPTION PRICE ($) ADD TO CART
24235 HI-STANDARD .22, STD RECOIL SPRING PAK 7.89

6.5 Grendel AR15
Old January 13, 2020, 12:30   #17
Pluribus
Registered

FALaholic #: 5600
Quote:
There are at least two displays in the russias with guns attributed to Powers
One is a 50s era suppressed Supermatic, the other contains a WWII vintage HDM that was most likely supplied lend lease to Stalin

The 1st time I saw an image on the Supermatic was in an issue of the English edition of Soviet Life magazine in the sixties, next time was later 90s online
Same gun, same display
A push button take down Supermatic with target sights, yeah no external hammer.. Anyways the Soviets were pandering at least two different guns as having been part of the U2 survival kit. One was WWII vintage, the other far later.

anyways HS was still doing government suppressed weapons contracts up into the sixties. By Powers' era they tech had radically changed from the wire screening over a perforated reduced barrel to baffle packs in front of a ported bbl.
Powers was known to have been "issued" #120046 which is the HD-MS the Sov's display. The original block of pistols acquired by the Gov. during WW2 were un-serialized and the mods and additions made by an independent contractor, not H.S. Serialized HD-M(S) were later replacement supplementals purchased on the open market and modified as per requirement.

I've "heard" of a Supermatic variant in possession of the Sov's for years too but, stories abound.
Old January 14, 2020, 01:35   #18
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
While nowhere close in accuracy have a Beretta Minx 22 Short and a Beretta Bobcat both with cans that have a serial number but no makers name but purchased them from reputable dealer on Format 4s. Have always wondered about the suppressors as have the screen mesh very similar to High Standards and are so quiet when shoot them wet all you hear is bullet strike and brass hitting the floor if it's tile, concrete or other hard surface. The little tip barrels even with can attached are tiny. The 22 short Minx is a hoot to shoot in the house.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2020, 10:11   #19
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
I have had lots of them but i liked the Model 103 a lot. I remember one floating around in my company in Vietnam with a can on it. It was marked with large "U.S." on left side and was parked with brown plastic grips.
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote