The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Daewoo Files

Notices

Old October 08, 2019, 18:39   #1
Syntax Error
Registered

FALaholic #: 73817
Daewoo/S&T Motiv "K-Series" prototypes on display in the War Memorial of Korea, Seoul

Took these shots when I was in Korea on my last trip visiting family and such. The War Memorial of Korea near Samgakji Station in downtown Seoul (it's right next to Yongsan Base, which is being moved down to Pyeongtaek) is a very nice (and free) museum displaying various historical artifacts throughout Korean history. Of note is the "K-series" weapon display in the "Armed Forces of Korea" exhibit which displays various prototype K-series rifles as they were developing the rifle that became the K-2 and showcasing the ROK's desire to develop a domestically weapon.

You can tell where the designers initially looked into attempting a 7.62mm rifle which was the trend at the time, but the Koreans as far as I know never adopted a 7.62x51mm service rifle, unlike the Japanese who adopted the 7.62mm Type 64 Howa.

You can also see how the initial prototypes of the 7.62mm rifles seem to use M14 magazines, and then later prototypes of the 5.56mm rifles had fixed stocks and folding para stocks, and they seemed to have split the difference by doing a folding "fixed style" stock that we see in the K-2 today.

If you ever find yourself in Seoul, I highly recommend checking out the War Memorial of Korea. There are lots of tanks and military equipment on display as well, as well as great exhibits showcasing Korea's military history throughout the centuries.
Syntax Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 08, 2019, 23:21   #2
s0b3
Registered

FALaholic #: 22418
awesome pics. looks like they took a lot of inspirations from different battle rifles. i see a lot of m16a1 parts. i reposted some of these pictures to ar15.com retro section. figured the guys there would get a kick out of these, hope you don't mind.
s0b3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2019, 12:15   #3
Syntax Error
Registered

FALaholic #: 73817
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0b3 View Post
awesome pics. looks like they took a lot of inspirations from different battle rifles. i see a lot of m16a1 parts. i reposted some of these pictures to ar15.com retro section. figured the guys there would get a kick out of these, hope you don't mind.
Yeah, no problem.
Syntax Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:55   #4
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
This one is interesting....12 gauge bolt action shotgun on top of 556?

Old Yesterday, 18:36   #5
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
Amazing opportunity...thanks for sharing. Now I wish we could get some Daweoo parts direct from South Korea!