The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old June 20, 2019, 23:49   #1
kysjck
Registered

FALaholic #: 31833
Radway Green ammo needs more gas

I have and shoot ammo from many countries/makers including LC, WCC, F4, Hirtinberger, Santa Barbara, my hand loads, and Brit RG. All work ie. cycle with the same gas regulator setting except the RG, that needs the gas port closed one more click (Imbels don't have numbers on the regulator) than the others. The external ballistics are nearly the same as other makes. Is this common?
kysjck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2019, 06:39   #2
gw104
Registered

FALaholic #: 33874
1 click isn't much. That's why it's adjustable. I would go 1 more and run everything on that setting. Sounds like you are running it just on the edge with the other ammo.
gw104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2019, 09:58   #3
762gunr
Registered

FALaholic #: 69517
Faster powder can equal less port pressure.
762gunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2019, 21:12   #4
kysjck
Registered

FALaholic #: 31833
I like using only the amount of gas needed. Easier on the brass and the rifle. I don't want a FAL to eject brass like a HK. If faced with an armed threat the one setting for all ammo plan is prudent. It's not needed the rest of the time. The question was a result of not seeing a difference in any other ammo. I just wondered if anyone else had this experience. For now I'm sorting out the RG to shoot as group, just like I would when checking accuracy. I'm aware of the effect powder burning speed has on gas rifle. Hand loading for the M1 Garand will do that.
kysjck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2019, 03:23   #5
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
Quote:
Originally Posted by kysjck View Post
I have and shoot ammo from many countries/makers including LC, WCC, F4, Hirtinberger, Santa Barbara, my hand loads, and Brit RG. All work ie. cycle with the same gas regulator setting except the RG, that needs the gas port closed one more click (Imbels don't have numbers on the regulator) than the others. The external ballistics are nearly the same as other makes. Is this common?
Ammo from the same manufacturer can vary that much from lot to lot. So, yes, it is common.