Notices

Old February 25, 2020, 23:07   #1
NFADLR
Registered

FALaholic #: 7480
Corona Virus prepping info.

MUCH more at the link below.

Lists are always a great idea.

I encourage others to put up their lists!..

Members found at link below have been prepping for years, I advise taking their experience as valid information.
https://www.goldismoney2.com/threads...ovid19.344396/

The most valuable things in life are those things without which you would die most quickly. In order:

1. Breathable Air
2. Clean Water
3. Food
4. Energy (cooking / heating)
5. Shelter
6. Defensive Weapon

BREATHABLE AIR
The medical profession believes that N95 masks do offer protection if you suspect you might be around someone with the virus. The rule of thumb I have heard is that it is best to maintain a 2 meter distance from anyone suspected of carrying the infection. Even though N95 masks are "disposable", I intend to save used masks, sterilize them, and reuse if necessary. In case of infection, consider purchasing an oxygen concentrator. You might find yourself in a situation where you have to give yourself (or a family member) oxygen therapy.

CLEAN WATER
I recommend Berkey.*https://www.berkeyfilters.com/*I*am blessed to have a good well with clean water and plenty of it.

FOOD
We are buying extra each week to build up our reserves for a 90 day supply. Focusing on shelf stable products (like rice, dry beans, canned tuna, almond milk, etc.). We have a lot of protein in the woods around us. Also remembering to rotate stock so it doesn't spoil. I was thinking yesterday about drawing up a ration plan based upon minimum caloric needs for each one in our family. One other thing I will throw in under "food"... medicine. We have stockpiled expectorant and fever reducer. The situation may be so grim that professional medical treatment is not available.

ENERGY
I have two 100 lb propane tanks and three grill size. All are full and at the ready. Besides the grill, I can connect to my garage heater or basement heater. We have a 6500w generator wired to the house, and some gasoline ready. Firewood pile is getting small, so I need to work on that.

SHELTER
Weather appropriate clothing (depending on your climate). Your domicile should be securable. We are closer than we have ever been to a zombie revolt. Americans have never had to face the prospect of going without a meal. Wait until they haven't eaten for a few days.

DEFENSIVE WEAPON
I prefer to have more than one. Remember that it is just a chunk of steel if you don't have brass to feed it.

Here are some other considerations....

1. How are you going to handle your mail and package deliveries?
2. Are you able to do all of your banking and bill paying online?
3. Can you clearly communicate to friends and family your quarantine expectations and expect them to abide by them?
4. Are you ready to homeschool your kids?
5. Can you work from home? (How do you prepare your employer to accept your quarantine plan?)
6. Will you help friends and family who become infected? (How can you do this and maintain the safety of your household?)
7. How will you handle a situation where someone in your home has become infected?
8. As the situation grinds on are you prepared to adjust with the changing of the seasons? (How does prepping look different in the summer vs. winter?)
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2020, 23:16   #2
Tip_drill
Registered

FALaholic #: 82930
Very thought provoking post.
Tip_drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2020, 23:28   #3
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
There are kits out there that are set up for emergency.

Last edited by Bawana jim; February 27, 2020 at 09:48.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2020, 08:20   #4
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Not prepped enough, but enough to hold out for a couple weeks. Dealing with liberal asshat family members will be the hardest part, as they always look to others to support them.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2020, 08:30   #5
imacoonass01
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308/223shooter View Post
Not prepped enough, but enough to hold out for a couple weeks. Dealing with liberal asshat family members will be the hardest part, as they always look to others to support them.

^^^THAT^^^
Old February 26, 2020, 08:55   #6
pmf
Registered

FALaholic #: 2923
Meh ... I have enough weaponry to just kill the neighbors and take their stuff.
pmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2020, 09:08   #7
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmf View Post
Meh ... I have enough weaponry to just kill the neighbors and take their stuff.
Try not to pick up the infected stuff and don't get the blood on you or breath while you are in their house. No doubt your plan will be short lived.
Old February 26, 2020, 09:23   #8
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
All solid planning.

I don't know that you'll really need the generators but it's good to keep some spare fuel on hand anyway. I think most of us do.

One thing that doesn't hurt to keep extras of that I don't see listed is rubbing alcohol. It'll most often kill virus' and bacteria and is generally really cheap a bottle too.

Plus, in a pinch, if you have the 91% alcohol, you can substitute it for gasoline in a chainsaw if you need to, but would obviously be better served for sanitization. And is also cheaper than germ-x.

Stock up on Lysol spray. It's already rated to kill coronavirus (read the label-it's on there).

One bit of advice, if having to go out, pull off your shoes outside and then strip down as soon as you walk through the door and wash them. Spray the outsoles of your shoes with Lysol spray. Because no matter how well you wash your hands, you can still bring stuff in on your shoes because gravity pulls down the sneeze droplets and eventually just lay on the floor and when you walk on it, guess where it attaches to.

My mom was the head nurse at a local clinic and I learned a lot watching how she did things as I grew up. That was one of them.

Spray everything you touch daily. Cabinet pulls, fridge door handle, toilet handle, sink knobs, remote control, telephone, light switches, door knobs, washer/dryer knob, etc.

Basically if you touch it, clean it.

It goes without saying, one option that may be pretty extreme, wipe off all packaging from the store too. Who knows what has been coughed or sneezed on them. If they're individually packed, take them out of the box and throw it away and keep the individual servings separate. If it's practical, you can store things inside of ziplock bags.

Those are just a few more options that you may or may not have considered.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2020, 19:20   #9
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
We supposedly don't have it yet in Michigan,though they are "monitoring" about 325 people here who have recently been in China,so I'm assuming its here,and I am adjusting. Keep anti-virus wipes in the truck,all the time,and wipe up anytime I leave the truck to get something,like gas. I am avoiding eating at restaurants all together,and am bringing coffee from home to drink thru the day,rather than buying a coffee at the store. Keeping distance from people I have to interact with,and avoiding contact,like shaking hands. Keeping fuel tanks topped off,keeping extra groceries. Staying close to home,no long trips planned. I need to talk to the school and see what their attack plan is for when it shows up locally... how they will educate kids when they have to close the schools.
Haven't gone as far as wearing a mask,yet. I do have work lined up in a local hospital,so if they get it,I may have to wear one.Maybe even full hazmat suit.
This week,I plan on getting stocked up on wood pellets,buy more groceries,like shelf stable milk and butter,canned food,more wipes and cleaning stuff. we'll use it up,eventually,even if it amounts to nothing.Point is to have it.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2020, 21:13   #10
JAB75
Safety Detector
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 12107
Great information!

I try to foocus upon three categories:

1) Bullets
2) Beans
3) Booze

Stay safe.