Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old February 02, 2020, 10:05   #1
ArtBanks
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
M14BR SA usgi/bula build

Putting the finishing touches on my M14BR SA usgi/bula build.
Parts drawer is getting pretty empty these days.
Receiver is USGI heeled SA/JRA/Bula as is bolt and barrel. Remainder of parts including the walnut stock are USGI. Whatta Hobby.

RVN 67-68
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2020, 10:16   #2
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Beautiful! BR= Battle Rifle?
Old February 02, 2020, 10:50   #3
ArtBanks
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Ron View Post
Beautiful! BR= Battle Rifle?
Thanks. I have been having a ball putting these rifles together.
Yes. M14BR.com Battle Rifle is another forum that I spend a bunch of time on.
My friend Hawk owns the forum and makes the Dummy selector kits that I use on all my rifles.
RVN 67-68
Old February 02, 2020, 11:15   #4
hkshooter
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
One of the rifle's I've never owned.
But yes, what a hobby, right? Love it.
Old February 02, 2020, 11:26   #5
ArtBanks
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
One of the rifle's I've never owned.
But yes, what a hobby, right? Love it.
I have been in love with the M14 since my first one was issued to me in Jan 1966 at Parris Island.
RVN 67-68
Old February 02, 2020, 18:26   #6
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
SWEET !!!
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2020, 19:37   #7
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
I have been in love with the M14 since my first one was issued to me in Jan 1966 at Parris Island.
I could not agree more and yes it followed me to the first part of my time at the DMZ. Went from a like new M-14 to one that most of the finish was getting thin but never failed me.

!966 was a vintage year at Parris Island also. Plt. 229, 1 Feb.-30 March, 2nd. Battalion in the old wooden barracks. Semper fi
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2020, 19:42   #8
ArtBanks
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01BIRDDOG View Post
I could not agree more and yes it followed me to the first part of my time at the DMZ. Went from a like new M-14 to one that most of the finish was getting thin but never failed me.

!966 was a vintage year at Parris Island also. Plt. 229, 1 Feb.-30 March, 2nd. Battalion in the old wooden barracks. Semper fi
I was in 3rd Battalion in the nice brick buildings at the same time.
Wow, we could have been at ITR together.
RVN 67-68
Old February 03, 2020, 19:41   #9
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
Hey Art! You build one of these yet? MK14 clone.
Old February 04, 2020, 06:52   #10
ArtBanks
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2205 View Post
Hey Art! You build one of these yet? MK14 clone.
Nope. That thing appeals to me even less than this piece of crap I bought when SAI first came out with the SOCOM II. Kids on my range love banging around with it, but it ain't my cup of tea.

RVN 67-68
Old February 04, 2020, 07:04   #11
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
Not a fan of the short tube SOCOM either, but dropping the M1A in the Sage chassis did a lot for it's accuracy.
Old February 04, 2020, 08:06   #12
ArtBanks
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2205 View Post
Not a fan of the short tube SOCOM either, but dropping the M1A in the Sage chassis did a lot for it's accuracy.
Rgr that. I have been know to use some ugly heavy chassis myself when in the quest for accuracy. These range from sub 1/2 min blue 6.5 Creedmoor to the other two which are substantially sub .75 moa and all using 10 rnd groups for determination. Haven't seen a Sage build that will even come close.

RVN 67-68
Old February 10, 2020, 15:13   #13
Tip_drill
Registered

FALaholic #: 82930
https://pasteboard.co/IU599xq.jpg

From long ago and far away
Tip_drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2020, 16:15   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Nope. That thing appeals to me even less than this piece of crap I bought when SAI first came out with the SOCOM II. Kids on my range love banging around with it, but it ain't my cup of tea.
When the 16" M1a SOCOM came out had no desire to own one after test driving a friends who buys anything Springfield will cobble together. I waited for the 18" Scout Squad as just an extra couple of inches makes an MBA much more tame and like the traditional lines. I just can't bring myself to try and make an M1a/M14 look like a full blown tacticool AR 15. I don't even want an AR 15 that has four sides of picatinny rail on forearm to chew up my left hand.

I have been working to increase my collection of Mini 14s and then accurate them while able to find deals and still find them in 6.8. In the near future the less tatical a rifle looks the more likely you will be allowed to keep it. All the Mini bashes are going to be crying if some liberal President and Legislature neuters their ARs like California did. While I will have a big pIle myself they will get sold quickly along with AR 10s and hopefully they won't feel our tired old M1a/M14s and Mini 14s look evil since have no pistol grip or other black rifle features.

Imagine what the price of M1a/Minis will do if suddenly they are not subjected to the prejudices that pistol grip rifles are and guys have to begin pulling their M1a's out of their $700 stocks and putting them back in original wood. I have no idea what Uncle Sugar may do sometime so have a pile of everything which hopefully when they start picking off different models based on looks I will still have capable rifles to work with.

Do know of a 16" SOCOM that it's owner does not enjoy shooting and twice have made an offer that had him almost consider selling at a price I am willing to pay for one. Only use I would have for it is to swap the gas plug and nail a suppressor on it like I did my 16" FAL as it is no fun to shoot without a can. Currently have a Springfield M1a Basic that swapped in a Shuster adjustable gas plug and added a suppressor but it is unwieldy with full length barrel and a suppressor, the SOCOM would be a perfect suppressor host but not going in at near retail to get one.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2020, 10:46   #15
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Quote:

Where's the ghetto grip for that SOCOM "piece of crap"?

Jarhead
Old February 13, 2020, 10:53   #16
Jarhead504
Registered

Brother hueyville: The anti-gun communists will ban Minis as fast as anything else. Their requirements for Ownership Ban:

1) That it is referred to as a "gun" or "firearm".

2) That is fires a "projectile".

3) That it could be used to hurt one of them.

4) That it could be used against them as they are hurting you.

You see. It is that simple.

Jarhead
Thread Hijacker To The Stars
Old February 13, 2020, 10:55   #17
Jarhead504
Registered

Quote:
Rgr that. I have been know to use some ugly heavy chassis myself when in the quest for accuracy. These range from sub 1/2 min blue 6.5 Creedmoor to the other two which are substantially sub .75 moa and all using 10 rnd groups for determination. Haven't seen a Sage build that will even come close.

Brother Art: Please ID the flash suppressors on those beautiful rifles. I know they are required for semi-autos in the communist states that forbid bayonet lugs, but what are they? Are all three "direct screw-ons" or do they need an adapter?

The middle one looks like one of those on the Polytech M305s imported by Marstar of Canada, but that would have to be metric.

TIA,
Jarhead
Old February 13, 2020, 13:34   #18
ArtBanks
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead504 View Post
Brother Art: Please ID the flash suppressors on those beautiful rifles. I know they are required for semi-autos in the communist states that forbid bayonet lugs, but what are they? Are all three "direct screw-ons" or do they need an adapter?

The middle one looks like one of those on the Polytech M305s imported by Marstar of Canada, but that would have to be metric.

TIA,
Jarhead
They are muzzle brakes.
The two on the front rifles are the same. Can't remember the maker, but they are only about $20 each and 5/8 x 24 so my OSS adapter for the suppressor connects. Rear one is a JP/Delta combined effort from a group buy on another forum about 10 years ago. That one was big bucks , as I remember.
RVN 67-68
Old February 13, 2020, 13:40   #19
Jarhead504
Registered

Quote:
They are muzzle brakes.
The two on the front rifles are the same. Can't remember the maker, but they are only about $20 each and 5/8 x 24 so my OSS adapter for the suppressor connects. Rear one is a JP/Delta combined effort from a group buy on another forum about 10 years ago. That one was big bucks , as I remember.
Thanks. I like the JP and the one on the blue stocked rifle. I'm gonna have to search for them, although my Google-Fu is not strong.

Jarhead

P.S.: You never said where the ghetto grip is for the SOCOM. Also, it looks like it could use a flash-light, GPS, can-opener, coffee maker and de-coder ring mounted on all those rails. The good side is, it will weight 28 pounds more!
Old February 13, 2020, 13:54   #20
cal50
Registered

FALaholic #: 7794

Death is still the nations #1 killer.....
cal50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2020, 15:14   #21
Tip_drill
Registered

FALaholic #: 82930
Iím going to go against the consensus here and say that I like the sage stock system for the 14.

Having the ability to mount a PEQ 2 or the newer PEQ 15 and LA5ís on the system is invaluable... the M14 is a excellent weapons system IMO and restricting its capabilities for traditionalism is a mistake... especially in a war zone.

We had no sage stocks in our unit and thus no way to mount our PEQ2 to it and for it to hold zero if we tried some field expedient modification.
Tip_drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2020, 18:35   #22
Jarhead504
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip_drill View Post
Iím going to go against the consensus here and say that I like the sage stock system for the 14.

Having the ability to mount a PEQ 2 or the newer PEQ 15 and LA5ís on the system is invaluable... the M14 is a excellent weapons system IMO and restricting its capabilities for traditionalism is a mistake... especially in a war zone.

We had no sage stocks in our unit and thus no way to mount our PEQ2 to it and for it to hold zero if we tried some field expedient modification.
I like the SAGE stocks except;

1) They are for young jarheads, as I once wuz, as they are heavy, really heavy
2) The newer model ones the squids "redesigned" leave too much of the gas system exposed.
3) The older ones had welds that looks as if blind men did it.
4) They are as pricey as any other after market stock option.
5) They have too many holes in all these places that give it a weird "after-thought" appearance.

Jarhead