Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old January 20, 2020, 15:52   #1
cavegeo
Veteran Member
Contributor

FALaholic #: 11441
Electronic Hearing Protection

Need a new set of muffs as my Peltor Tactical 6-S set of muffs has died.

I have a Pistol/Rifle class scheduled this March so need something soon.

What is a good set that won't break the bank?
The whole point of being governed by a Constitution and not by men or directly by the people themselves was to stop incredible stupidity from annihilating our Freedoms. Tyranny of the majority is just as dangerous as any dictator. Especially when the majority is incredibly ******* stupid.
cavegeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2020, 15:58   #2
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Mine are Walkers and I am very satisfied. They are the only ones I have real experience with and so there may be better options I am simply unaware of, but with those you won't go wrong.
Old January 20, 2020, 16:23   #3
cavegeo
Veteran Member
Contributor

I am looking at some Walkers at Midway that are on sale.
The whole point of being governed by a Constitution and not by men or directly by the people themselves was to stop incredible stupidity from annihilating our Freedoms. Tyranny of the majority is just as dangerous as any dictator. Especially when the majority is incredibly ******* stupid.
Old January 20, 2020, 19:08   #4
randy762ak
Registered

FALaholic #: 25888
I want to buy a set of these --! I have checked around and this is the best price I have found .

Green -->

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com...ity-green.html

Gray-->

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com...p-xsem-bt.html

The Foam earplugs are pretty low cost too-->>

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com...-uncorded.html
randy762ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2020, 19:28   #5
Redoubt
Registered

FALaholic #: 82243
MSA Sordin's are the best Ive run into in my years. Well worth the cost.
https://www.amazon.com/MSA-Sordin-DIGITAL-SUPREME-Headband/dp/B007ZBY0YO/ref=asc_df_B007ZBY0YO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309813515890&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14044431031877373477&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029617&hvtargid=aud-801381245258la-569630876851&psc=1
Old January 20, 2020, 19:39   #6
hkshooter
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
I've been using these for nearly two decades. Sent them back once for some new ear pads. They updated the electronics and sent them back like new, for a small fee. Still working great after all these years.

https://proears.com/product/pro-ears-pro-300/
Old January 20, 2020, 20:56   #7
cavegeo
Veteran Member
Contributor

Yah those MSA Sordins' are on my list to get but need something that works and that I can afford without making Mama unhappy. Someday will get a set of those.

Randy nice muffs but that vendor is mighty proud of their products see those same muff on Amazon for better price. I already have plenty of soft plugs that I usually wear under my muffs when shooting indoors or under cover.

My 16" Fal will knock your socks off under a covered roof if your not expecting it.

Order a set of Walkers from Midway this evening that should be good for a few years.
Old January 22, 2020, 11:36   #8
lew
Registered

FALaholic #: 16727
The Sordins I had were great, but I sold them for a handsome profit and used some of that to buy a couple pairs of Howard Leights. Those have also been flawless.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2020, 11:51   #9
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Never owned electronic muffs till 2 days ago and have not range tested them yet. They work well at home.

They got an excellent review and rating in a recent Guns Magazine, so I got a pair for myself and a shooting buddy who wears hearing aids.

They are 30dB reduction without the electronics so should be pretty effective either way.

Walrus had the best price on them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HOWARD-LE...4-11da7daa8002

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2020, 23:55   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
What is your general use for the muffs? I own multiple sets of MSA Sordid and 3M Pelton but they are all set up on high ear helmets and have patch cable connected to a dual radio PTT. Thus they are tactical sets for me. Generally have low 21 to 23 dB noise reduction which takes most of technology sting out but are still loud and allow hear through without electronics.

I have several models of Walkers. Have the ear plugs that look like ear buds for music with Bluetooth connectivity which are o.k. because I can wear them in public without odd looks or carry in my pocket. Wear in grocery all the time so can link to phone and talk "grocery list" with wife and if gunfight breaks out over the last gallon of milk have hearing protection. Have six pair of the Walkers with the FRS/GMRS radios that clip on and off. They work great if have a half dozen people hog hunting at night as can talk even if 1/4 mile apart but the electronic microphones for electronic hear through almost deaf.

Have two pair of the Walker Razor Quads which have great dB noise reduction and the four microphone system allows stunning hearing around operator with up to 4x amplification of surrounding sounds. They also have built in Bluetooth which links easily to cell phone. For a lot of shooting, especially at a range where others are blasting away with anything from a 10/22 to 300 Win Mag with muzzle brake next to you they protect the hearing, allow good hearing for situational awareness and if wife calls can not get in trouble for ignoring her. Mine are fat and can be an issue with cheek weld on rifle but they have a slim version now which I will own soon to try.

Have a couple pair of Howard Leight with aux inputs for radios but only have 21 to 23 dB noise reduction lIke most tacticals where have to wear plugs under the muffs with big rifles. The H.L.s I like the best are the Impact models due to 5x amplification four microphone hear through.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2020, 06:21   #11
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
Never owned electronic muffs till 2 days ago and have not range tested them yet. They work well at home.

They got an excellent review and rating in a recent Guns Magazine, so I got a pair for myself and a shooting buddy who wears hearing aids.

They are 30dB reduction without the electronics so should be pretty effective either way.

Walrus had the best price on them.
The ad claims it is electronic, and you said 30dB without electronics. What does it get with electronics then?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2020, 08:18   #12
zonkertx
Registered

FALaholic #: 37846
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Have a couple pair of Howard Leight with aux inputs for radios but only have 21 to 23 dB noise reduction lIke most tacticals where have to wear plugs under the muffs with big rifles.
I loved those thin Leights because they don't mess with cheekweld, and they accurately reflect the direction of sound sources. Found out the hard way that the NRR was too low. Wore them while instructing at Appleseeds, which made my tinnitus-crickets way louder than before.
zonkertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2020, 20:53   #13
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I replaced my Peltor tactical muffs, when they died, with a pair of Walker Patriot Slim muffs. The DB rating was slightly better than the Peltors (23 vs 21db) and just as thin. This kept them from interfering with a cheek weld when shooting a rifle. Indoors I double up with custom molded plugs, but outdoor I normally go with the muffs unless there are a lot of shooters on either side of me. The electronic response is fantastic, the volume control allows me easily hear conversations even when doubled up, and the battery life is really good. That last item has been tested numerous times because I keep forgetting to turn them off.

Midway: https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/10...yABEgLlBvD_BwE

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2020, 18:54   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Walker's Ultimate Digital Quad Connect Electronic Earmuffs with Bluetooth (NRR 27dB) Gray. List price $199.99, regular price $179.99 but on sale for $73.49. Have two pair but when saw this have a third pair coming. Own the Walkers posted above and can say the four microphone system in the Quads is much higher resolution and at this price a must have.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101712898?pid=228919
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2020, 20:30   #15
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
The ad claims it is electronic, and you said 30dB without electronics. What does it get with electronics then?
This is how they explain it.

Quote:
Impact Pro Sound Amplification Electronic Earmuff
The Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Pro Sound Amplification Electronic Earmuff is designed for those looking for maximum hearing protection. It carries a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 30 in both on and off mode. When the electronic ear protection is switched on, it employs built-in directional microphones that amplify range commands and other ambient sounds to a safe 82 dB, providing more natural listening and enhanced communication.

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2020, 22:36   #16
cavegeo
Veteran Member
Contributor

I received my new muff yesterday from Midway.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022214274?pid=236130

[IMG][/IMG]
Old January 31, 2020, 15:02   #17
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
CDNN has a pair for $10 with the Winchester name on them. Advertised as 25 dB I thought what is wrong wth them that they are so cheap? I bought a set and they looked real good for $10 and even if they didn't work they would still be fine as regular hearing protection.

Problem was the battery compartment, that why I think hey sold so cheap. You can't close the lid on the batteries. With a little discovery and a dremel tool I took some protruding areas off the lid and it closed just fine.

I will use them as loaners on the range and at this point the electronics are still working good.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/electroni...U#.XjSFyGOIY1I
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2020, 09:30   #18
Democrat1
Registered

FALaholic #: 9132
Electronic plugs are the way to go

I've tried a lot of electronic muffs, and they all interfere with getting my face down on the stock, and they don't do as good a job as plugs, even the ProEars. If you are around a lot of sharp noise, you probably will need some form of plugs inside the electronic muffs. I eventually bought a set of electronic plugs while taking a class at Front Sight in Nevada.

Spending a week at Camp Perry during the High Power phase, with electronic plugs and hundreds of AR15 rifles going off around me, I never felt the need of muffs over my electronic plugs. I've been using these plugs for 5 years now:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019581088

I bought another different set as a backup, and never needed them, so gave them to a friend who has had similar positive experiences:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019580937?pid=766690
Democrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote