The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old November 02, 2019, 10:14   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
L2a1 parts

Have been gathering L2a1 parts for years and seemed to always put together another kit before I would find a gas block. Got frustrated and purchased two nice complete L2s ready to run so now sitting on 2.5 parts kits and suddenly finding a gas block here and there from people who in tilly asked year or two ago. With two nicely built and running L2s know parts are worth more than complete rifles. Have a barrel that except for lack of finish on outside looks new inside as rifling looks sharp enough to slice jackets, gas block to match, NOS handguard/bipod with prettier wood than on my complete rifles and a NOS pair of sight ears. Have had as much trouble finding sight ears as gas blocks. Not found a gas block with the sight ears.

Looking at pile of parts and running the numbers in my head am stunned how much cash is invested in the pile. I really do not need three or four L2s either as once I purchased the first discovered even for a reasonably fit guy in mid 50s who works manual labor darn things are heavy trying to shoot offhand. Especially with broken spine in three places supporting the rifle and trying to run through ten (10") falling plates at 100 yards and am spaghetti armed and back aching before make it across to the seventh/eighth plate. For me it's a rifle to shoot off a rest or its beautifully designed handguard/bipod. Especially looks good on coffee table in living room and is a great conversation starter when guests stop by.

That said have segregated out my nicest barrel as far as bore condition, a gas block refurbished by adam762, bipod, sight ears and 90%+ sure have the pins to connect bipod to gas block. Also have a spare Coonan inch cut receiver dedicated toward one of the L2 builds. Since hard to find hard to determine value. See barrels with block only priced at $1,500 but out of stock and $2,000 on gunbroker when pop up. Complete front ends with the big recoil reducer $2,500 out of stock and occasionally $3,000 available on gunbroker. Anyone venture to place a value on an L2 front end with great barrel and all parts but flash hider? What is an inch cut Coonan bringing these days.

My PM box is 99% full so may take a message or two but no more so reply in thread is appreciated till get time to clean out PM box. May have a second L2 gas block lined up and if works out will likely sell another front end kit and have an inch receiver to complete if needed as most people have the rest of the parts or can easily find them. Last two or three items I sold was told I sold too cheap as don't keep up with current prices on parts as have more FAL, L1 and L2 parts than can build anytime soon with L2 gas blocks being only item shopping for and seems prices have climbed a lot in some cases since began collecting them. Thank guys.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2019, 10:23   #2
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
I would be interested in a GB and/or front end or a kit. Depending on price of course, but let me know when you figure out your plan and put a price on things. TIA.
Old November 02, 2019, 12:04   #3
embatp
What? Me AR?
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39856
No, you DO need three or four L2s...
Old November 02, 2019, 18:57   #4
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
I happen to have a barrel in desperate need of a gasblock..
Old November 02, 2019, 20:57   #5
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Everyone seems to have an L2 barrel in need of a gas block. I had three in need of gas blocks and purchased two complete rifles while looking for first gas block. If sell just a block then I have another lonely barrel so next only see sense in selling complete front ends till run out of blocks.

As to the comment "a man can't have too many L2s" I can feel that only issue is all my parts kits are Aussie. Have considered selling select parts and cobbling together a Brit and a Canadian.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2019, 21:50   #6
Fallujahgrunt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80766
I need a tangent sight
Old November 02, 2019, 21:58   #7
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Someone needs to step up and mill out a few gasblocks then.. who's up for the challenge and who has a gasblock available to reverse engineer?
Old November 03, 2019, 13:33   #8
Balls85
Registered

FALaholic #: 82072
I need an Aussie L1A1 carry handle. If you’ve got a spare you are willing to part with, please PM me.

Balls85
Balls85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 03, 2019, 13:33   #9
Balls85
Registered

FALaholic #: 82072
Correct that...I need an L2a1 carry handle!
Balls85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 03, 2019, 17:51   #10
Snake Bitten
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13425
I'm currently going thru my FAL parts, no longer needed, saw a gas block, also a carry handle, will take a few pics, asap...

Guns have two enemies: Rust and Politicians
Snake Bitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 05:59   #11
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
Someone needs to step up and mill out a few gasblocks then.. who's up for the challenge and who has a gasblock available to reverse engineer?
And the tangent sight mentioned above. I mean, the other two hard to find sights (the one with the disk and the one with two flipping sights) have already been made by flafiles members; the tangent one is the last one of the set.

Ok, maybe also an Indian one.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 06:54   #12
Lee Carpentieri
Registered

FALaholic #: 4936
L2A1 Gas blocks

I remember the Owner of DSA telling almost 20 years ago that the most expensive parts to make was the Gas block, Bolt and Upper receiver.If you think a L2A1 gas is easy, Think again, At least four screw holes have to be drilled, One on each side, The gas block itself has to be machined and contoured. I'll ask the importer If he remembers how many spare barrels without gas blocks he brought in back then which might determine if it would be worth while for someone to take on this project.
Old November 19, 2019, 07:43   #13
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
......Got frustrated and purchased two nice complete L2s......
Pictures?
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 12:08   #14
ShootingSight
Registered

FALaholic #: 66365
I'm after an inch pattern lower, along with pivot pins, and a selector switch. Actually, I'd like both an 'a' and a 'b' selector switch (not sure if the a or b applies to inch, or just metric).

I want the cheapest option out there, as I'm using it for trigger development, not to build a rifle on, so dirty/rusty/unloved is all fine.

Thanks,

Art
ShootingSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2019, 14:24   #15
FUUN063
Registered

FALaholic #: 35576
I weighed in on the making of L2A1 gas blocks in the past. I have even repaired several that Sarco had last year, including one of my own. Making them from scratch is really not a money maker, I would just be doing it to break even (maybe) and a to get a few others here a gas block. It's just not worth it in my opinion and I've made a lot of stuff here over the years, much of it with very little profit. Right now, I won't take on this project.

Leland
FUUN063 is offline   Reply With Quote