The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old October 27, 2019, 12:34   #51
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
It was a shame about the splitting and fact some worked perfect in my Minis and some didn't but still worked perfect in my ARs. Being able to set up 5.56 kits that could grab and run no matter whether picked up a Mini or AR was a stunning concept. The ones that worked with my Minis did work fine with my ARS and believe the issue to proper function in both was the springs. Trying to make a telescoping magazine that could collapse and run as a thirty rounder or extend and use as a forty have to be tricky with the spring design.

The splitting was their true downfall and still have most that split as have intended to buy a sonic welder for plastics/polymers as are not that expensive to see if could reweld the spines. Also believe with modern chrome silicone flatware springs could actually make them function 100% in both types of rifles. When first built AR 10s in 6XC and 338 Federal had magazine issues and had to segregate magazines based on which cartridges they liked. Then tried the Tubbs chrome silicon flatwire springs that were supposed to clear up issues with 6XC and discovered every AR 10 mag that installed a Tubbs Flatwire would run dead solid perfect in any AR 10 I owned whether 6XC, 338 Federal, 7.62×51 and 6.5 Creedmoor.

Quote:
Tubb Precision CS SR25/AR10 Magazine Spring - 20 Round
Your magazine IS a spring! After hearing, and experiencing, numerous magazine failures in magazines for these rifles, we decided to produce a better spring.

The problem is rarely in the magazine box and is most often in the follower or spring, and frequently both. Our Tubb Precision CS [chrome silicon] springs represent the ultimate in magazine upgrades. It solves virtually al magazine-related function problems, for good.

The Tubb Precision CS SR-25/AR-10 Magazine Spring provides positive pre-load against the follower. Consistent, constant tension is the key. As with other Tubb Precision CS springs, it has extra power (+10-percent) and faster rebound. Plus, there is less drag against the magazine side walls for freer movement. These attributes are of utmost importance to the NRA High Power competitor who is frequently relying on bolt stop engagement on an empty magazine and also positive feeding from underloaded magazines.

Our Tubb Precision CS spring is angled correctly to locate the follower in its optimum orientation. This design modification alone fixes a majority of feeding problems. Another advantage of this spring is faster, more positive bolt stop engagement, saving wear on the part and also ensuring its correct function.

As with all Tubb Precision CS springs, the superior chrome silicon material will perform its job perfectly well beyond the life of any magazine. This spring length fits all magazine configurations available for the SR-25, AR-10, DPMS .308 LR, M1A/M14, and others. This spring also works with TUBB 2000 magazines.

*Please note that our "20-round" designation does not necessarily refer to the actual round capacity of the magazine. Our 20-round spring fits any size magazine box, including those blocked or manufactured to 5, 8, or 10 round capacities. DOWNLOAD brochure for trimming instructions.
MADE IN THE USA
After having such good performance from the Tubbs AR 10 magazine springs began using their flatwire buffer springs. Can use same buffer spring in carbine length, rifle length, AR 10, AR 15 amd any cartridge from 5l56, 6.8, 22 Nosler, 458 SOCOM, wildcats then 6XC up to 338 Federal in AR 10s and all function perfectly. Was having trouble with buffer spring and buffer combinations in some of my odd wildcat AR builds but learned if build an odd cartridge a chrome silicon flatwire spring installed from start eliminated chasing any buffer spring issues. Have been using the Tubbs Flatwire 5.56 springs in my mission critical poodle shooter defensive magazines for both standard size and 6.8/22 Nosler fatties. Might just try replacing the old Ramline springs with some Tubbs Flatwire chrome silicone in a few of the NOS that put back when was buying them cheap and see what happens. Still want that fit all poodle shooter and Mini 14 magazine. Have discovered can run 6.8 spc II and 22 Nosler in Lancer L7s as long as do not try to load till completely full. Someone has to be able to design a do all with today's technology and either don't want to so we have to buy a myriad of AR 15/Mini mags or hasn't tried hard enough as I would likely buy a gross after my first test run order if they worked.

Quote:
"The magazine is every bit a part of the rifle, as much as a barrel or bolt, but it's also one of the most vexing components to correct when it goes bad. ThisTubb Precision 17-7 stainless steel flatwire magazine spring goes a long way towards perfecting AR15 magazine function."

Your magazine IS a spring! After hearing, and experiencing, numerous magazine failures in these rifles, we decided to produce a better spring. Especially troublesome are current production magazines, which frequently exhibit inferior components. The problem is rarely in the "box" and is most often in the spring. Our stainless steel precipitation hardened spring represents the ultimate upgrade.

David Tubb’s AR-15 flatwire magazine spring is a significant performance and reliability enhancement for your AR style firearm. Constructed of superior 17-7 precipitation hardened material, combined with our unique “flatwire” design, our spring overcomes the weaknesses and limitation inherent in conventionally outfitted AR-15 magazines. Standard springs are notorious for failures to feed on both full and partially loaded magazines. The flatwire AR-15 magazine spring provides positive and consistent load against the follower. Where a standard magazine spring loaded with three rounds applies 2.3 pounds of vertical load onto the follower, it doesn’t reliably contain the cartridges.* The 17-7 SS spring with three rounds applies 4.7 pounds of vertical load onto the follower ensuring the cartridges cannot rattle out of the magazine. Consistent, constant tension is the key.

The Tubb Precision 17-7 SS AR-15 Magazine Spring provides positive pre-load against the follower. As with our other springs, it has enhanced mechanical properties which produce faster rebound. Consistent, constant tension is the key. Plus, there is less drag against the side walls for freer movement. These attributes are of utmost importance to the High Power competitor who is frequently relying on bolt stop engagement on an empty magazine and also positive feeding from "underloaded" magazines.

The Tubb Precision 17-7 SS magazine spring is also angled correctly to locate the follower in its optimum orientation. This design modification alone fixes a majority of feeding problems. Another advantage of this spring is faster, more positive bolt stop engagement, saving wear on the part and also ensuring its correct function.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2019, 15:17   #52
hokey45
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 41407
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Mentioning magazines and Mini 14s is worthy discussion. Have yet to see any aftermarket magazines that I like in my Mini 14's.
Huey have you tried the gen II tapcos or CDNN's house brand mags? My testing has been very limited but both have worked well for me so far. I never hear anything good about promag.
Old October 28, 2019, 18:38   #53
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Nope but putting together a large CDNN order and will add some on. Need a bunch of SIG parts plus some of the Colt parts they still have a few of.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 03, 2019, 13:12   #54
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
I can remember when Ruger released a few .308 Mini 30's in 7.62 Nato back in the day.

I handled one at the Syracuse show, back when; less that 500 were produced. Recoil and muzzle blast were like a Remington 742, in 30-06.

It did not stay on the mkt very long. A very rare gun today.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 03, 2019, 13:52   #55
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Wow, that would be something to behold.
I was aware of the Mini 30 being 7.62 x 39 but never even heard of them in .308. I was probably hiding under my rock at the time.
RVN 67-68
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 03, 2019, 17:46   #56
Tim Dreas
Registered

FALaholic #: 17255
The 308 Ruger semi-auto is called the XGI and was also in 243.

They had accuracy problems that Ruger couldn't solve economically, so they replaced the XGI with the Mini-30 for a deer hunting semi-auto.
Old November 03, 2019, 17:58   #57
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
Wow, that would be something to behold.
I was aware of the Mini 30 being 7.62 x 39 but never even heard of them in .308. I was probably hiding under my rock at the time.
See https://www.rugertalk.com/articles/r...itting-xgi.95/

One or two actually in circulation?

I'm pretty sure if it had actually been produced for the masses, we'd all be hating on it for the same reasons we (that being the "royal we") hate on the Mini-14 and Mini-30. I had one of each. So I feel entitled to share my opinion. They both sucked. The FAL is a downright tack-driver compared to those pieces of shit.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 03, 2019, 18:10   #58
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
See https://www.rugertalk.com/articles/r...itting-xgi.95/

One or two actually in circulation?

I'm pretty sure if it had actually been produced for the masses, we'd all be hating on it for the same reasons we (that being the "royal we") hate on the Mini-14 and Mini-30. I had one of each. So I feel entitled to share my opinion. They both sucked. The FAL is a downright tack-driver compared to those pieces of shit.
They never made a .308 version becuase it shot worse than the minute of pie plate Mini-14. First 223 semi I owned was a stainless ranch rifle - was relatively heavy for it's size and it was doing good to shoot a 4" group at 100 yards. Ed Harris of Ed Red's fame used to work at Ruger and he said there was no debate that the AR-15 was a much better value - this was back when ARs were $700 and mini-14s were $450.
nvcdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 03, 2019, 18:16   #59
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Article says old Bill dumped the project because he wasnt willing to invest the engineering resources to fix the accuracy issues. Which is strange because most of his rifles suck and he still put them into production. Has an M77V in 6mm that would never group. Not acceptable for a varmint rifle. Throat was so deep the bullets fully ledt the case neck about 1/8" before it met rifling.
ByronF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 03, 2019, 18:34   #60
Tim Dreas
Registered

FALaholic #: 17255
The XGI was priced higher than an M1A.

There was no way it would sell for that much with the accuracy issues.

One of the reasons the Mini-14 was so popular was because it was so much cheaper than a Colt AR15.

The Mini-30 was made to make a semi-auto that was legal in most states for deer hunting.
Old November 03, 2019, 19:28   #61
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
A Mini in .243 does sound kind of interesting to me though...
Minute of deer?

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 03, 2019, 20:07   #62
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
A Mini in .243 does sound kind of interesting to me though...
Minute of deer?
Anything big enough to be hittable by a 243 Mini is also way too big for a 243. Its a paradox.
ByronF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 03, 2019, 22:03   #63
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronF View Post
Anything big enough to be hittable by a 243 Mini is also way too big for a 243. Its a paradox.
Minute of hippo...yes, I see your point.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is offline   Reply With Quote