Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition > Reloading Data

Notices

Old November 25, 2019, 12:51   #1
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 65818
10mm Pistol case bulge

So I decided to try my hand at reloading a pistol caliber, never bothered before as 45 and 9 were cheap enough not to have to, 10mm is a different story.
So I picked up some once fired nickel cases bought the dies and started setting up. After sizing, a good percentage of the cases still won't fit in the case gauge, so I off to google I go to find out what I'm doing wrong.

One of the first things that pops up is the Lee Bulge buster, along with an explanation that pistols without fully supported barrels I.E. Glock, allow the case to expand in the open area and the bulge buster is a remedy to make the case useable again. Which make sense to me if its a low pressure round, which a 10 isn't, and I'm a little leery of loading a full load in a case that's been stretched out of spec and then reformed. Even more so after dropping a transfer case on my finger Friday.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Am I over thinking things or is it a cause for concern?

And finally anyone got recommendation on a powder for 155gr?
I'm looking for velocity, low flash and accuracy. yeah I know, pick 2

Thanks
John

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

You can tell it's real because it looks so fake.
Elon Musk February 7, 2018
badzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2019, 13:01   #2
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
What dies are you using? I'm not a big fan of Lee rifle dies because they are a pain adjusting, but there pistol carbide dies are great. That's what I load my 10mm and 40S&W reloads with.

Do the cases fit in your chamber after resizing? If so, don't worry about it.

Accurate #9 is a good powder, so is Blue Dot (but may have more flash than desired).
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2019, 13:26   #3
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Dillon Carbide.
I actually hadn't tried cambering one, this is just general purpose range loads that I didn't want to have to worry about which weapon I used it in, so I was checking it with a Wilson case gauge. The bulge buster set was only $12 so I got one and worked all the cases through before it occurred to me I might have an issue with stressed brass.

Old November 25, 2019, 13:41   #4
richbug
Registered

FALaholic #: 10484
[QUOTE=badzero;4811127The bulge buster set was only $12 so I got one and worked all the cases through before it occurred to me I might have an issue with stressed brass.[/QUOTE]

I experienced this with some 40s that I shot from a friends estate. Safe middle of the road loads according to the book. They were fine in his 1911. I blew 3 glock mags apart before I finally trashed the ammo. He was OCD, and ran all his pistol brass though a bulge buster.

I havent found a need for a bulge buster in my guns.
richbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2019, 14:03   #5
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by badzero View Post
Dillon Carbide.
I actually hadn't tried cambering one, this is just general purpose range loads that I didn't want to have to worry about which weapon I used it in, so I was checking it with a Wilson case gauge. The bulge buster set was only $12 so I got one and worked all the cases through before it occurred to me I might have an issue with stressed brass.
I've used one for years without any issues.

For both 40 and 10mm loads.

If you wish to reload for full power/max loads,,,using good virgin brass is the way to go for these "hot" loads.

My plus P plus plus loads for 357 Sig,,,,my carry ammo,,,once its fired ONCE,,,never gets loaded back to max ever again,,,,load it down for target practice.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2019, 16:26   #6
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Thanks, thatís what I was looking for.

Old November 25, 2019, 18:25   #7
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
The only 10mm I have loaded was on virgin brass, but as my .40 brass is all range pick up I run all of it through the Lee bulge buster. I figure in the time I take to check each case, and then run the bad ones though the buster I might as well just run it all and be done. I took a plastic water bottle, cut the neck off it and drilled/cut a hole on the side down near the base. The bottle replaces the ďcatcherĒ that came with buster. It hangs on the top and slopes down to the right and dumps the processed rounds in a plastic bucket on the bench. Speeds things up not having to stop and empty the small catcher on top. All this 10mm talk is gonna make me break out the old G20 and shoot something.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2019, 19:15   #8
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
I've used one for years without any issues.

For both 40 and 10mm loads.

If you wish to reload for full power/max loads,,,using good virgin brass is the way to go for these "hot" loads.

My plus P plus plus loads for 357 Sig,,,,my carry ammo,,,once its fired ONCE,,,never gets loaded back to max ever again,,,,load it down for target practice.
Probably a good plan.

I don't load a lot of 40 anymore. I had a sizing problem similar to what was described. It would happen about 6% of the time that I would get finished cartridges that failed the chamber check.
These were not so bad that the gun would not digest them but it bothered me.

I'm using a Lee U die to resize in a Dillon press.
The gun is a 1911 pattern pistol with a Schuemann barrel (fully supported chamber).
Range brass.

I found some early Winchester brass, and occasionally other headstamps, develop a tear inside the case where the case wall meets the head of the case.
The brass usually has a -very- small radius on the inside as the wall transitions into the head. What happens is the case wall begins to separate from the thicker brass in the case head.
The brass is actually ripped. I can get a slip of aluminum foil into the gap on several that I found.

I thought about the push-through sizing die, but in my estimation, the bulgebuster die does -not- fix this problem, it only makes it possible to chamber the damaged brass. Maybe I didn't really want to be shooting the ones that were 'reluctant' at the chamber check.

So, I changed my process for loading 40s. Before they get to the press, I look -inside- the case for this damage. Its easy when the cases are all standing up in a bunch. The damage appears as a dark, concentric ring where the case wall meets the head. (especially if there is little to no radius at the transition)

I cull anything that I suspect is damaged and load what's left.
The new failure rate is <1% when I chamber check.
Old November 25, 2019, 20:34   #9
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

After looking at the cases again I found 2 on top that had separated like you described. Guess that's what you get for buying "once fired" brass at a gun show. FWIW the whole batch just went in the trash, While I might take the chance myself,cause I'm not too bright sometimes, I have 2 sons that shoot and its just not worth the risk. New Starline from Midway is on order. And yes I let him have my 89 cents
It was all Nickel Sig brass, idk if it was a gun issue or a brass issue but I will look real close at anymore that I pick up.

Old November 25, 2019, 20:38   #10
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Probably a good plan.

I don't load a lot of 40 anymore. I had a sizing problem similar to what was described. It would happen about 6% of the time that I would get finished cartridges that failed the chamber check.
These were not so bad that the gun would not digest them but it bothered me.

I'm using a Lee U die to resize in a Dillon press.
The gun is a 1911 pattern pistol with a Schuemann barrel (fully supported chamber).
Range brass.

I found some early Winchester brass, and occasionally other headstamps, develop a tear inside the case where the case wall meets the head of the case.
The brass usually has a -very- small radius on the inside as the wall transitions into the head. What happens is the case wall begins to separate from the thicker brass in the case head.
The brass is actually ripped. I can get a slip of aluminum foil into the gap on several that I found.

I thought about the push-through sizing die, but in my estimation, the bulgebuster die does -not- fix this problem, it only makes it possible to chamber the damaged brass. Maybe I didn't really want to be shooting the ones that were 'reluctant' at the chamber check.

So, I changed my process for loading 40s. Before they get to the press, I look -inside- the case for this damage. Its easy when the cases are all standing up in a bunch. The damage appears as a dark, concentric ring where the case wall meets the head. (especially if there is little to no radius at the transition)

I cull anything that I suspect is damaged and load what's left.
The new failure rate is <1% when I chamber check.
I gave up on my progressive presses ages ago,,,now back to,,,an old Rockchucker and a Lee 4 station Classic turret press. With a VERY old Lyman single stage hand/or mounted press on the bench for whatever.

I bought several police trade in 40's,,,before I ever shot a 40 anything,,,and quickly decided,,,I did not like the 40!

So,,,converted them all, but one,,,over to 357Sig,,which is all I really carry anymore.

But I did manage to put up a couple/three thousand of 40,,,,FMJ and JHP's,,,now,,,it gets used up when I'm working with new shooters.

The one Glock I kept in 40,,,,so I had something to shoot all that 40 with,,I dropped a Lone wolf barrel in it,,,so no more bulged brass.

I also use a Lee factory crimp on everything. An extra step,,,but it eliminates a lot of issues.

Since I began using it,,,everything fits the Wilson case gauge.

But,,,,,,I still drop each and every round into their gauge,,,anal is beyond description when it comes to my reloading procedures,,,but knock on wood,,,48 plus years,,, and not one issue ever.

Old November 25, 2019, 20:48   #11
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
After looking at the cases again I found 2 on top that had separated like you described. Guess that's what you get for buying "once fired" brass at a gun show. FWIW the whole batch just went in the trash, While I might take the chance myself,cause I'm not too bright sometimes, I have 2 sons that shoot and its just not worth the risk. New Starline from Midway is on order. And yes I let him have my 89 cents
It was all Nickel Sig brass, idk if it was a gun issue or a brass issue but I will look real close at anymore that I pick up.
I buy most of my once fired from these folks,,,can't remember ever having a problem,,,they seem to go through it pretty good before selling it.

https://brassmanbrass.com/product-ca...-brass-40-500/

Once fired is ok,,,just don;t load it plus P plus.

The "trick" with all ammo,,,,,,,,have tons of ammo.

Once fired,,,for normal speed ammo,,, is a good way to accumulate a lot of ammo without breaking the bank.

The way the bastards are going after ammo and firearms,,,having a few lifetimes of ammo stored away,,,not a bad idea.

I carry some fancy ass ammo,,,,today,,,,but,,,standard velocity cheap ass FMJ ammo,,,will work just about as good too...

Old November 26, 2019, 01:56   #12
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
Quote:
You did the right thing. If the brass is bulged or if they have a "smiley" they are past their usefulness.

My Glock 22 (Gen 3) has a well supported chamber and never bulges brass. I put a Bar-Sto barrel in it anyway for the extra accuracy. I'm a target shooter.

My 10mm Glock 20 (Gen 4) had quite a bit of case hanging out in the breeze and would smiley the brass. That gun got a Bar-Sto as well.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2019, 03:17   #13
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
My pick for a 155 bullet would be Longshot. Power Pistol will give good velocity but will throw out Hollywood style fireballs. Blue Dot will be less flashy than PP, but still flashy.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2019, 16:36   #14
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

So what would be the best powder to use for low flash and high velocity? 6 1/2 in lone wolf barrel.
Is there a reliable way to determine when youíve exceeded a safe load in a pistol other than having things break?

Old November 26, 2019, 17:56   #15
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
So what would be the best powder to use for low flash and high velocity? 6 1/2 in lone wolf barrel.
Is there a reliable way to determine when youíve exceeded a safe load in a pistol other than having things break?
Check three or four sources,,,,,find where they agree on a proper load,,back off a bit,,,work up the load for your gun,, location,, etc.

Split brass,,blown primers,,melted looking primers,,Blow outs, are all indicators,,you've got way to far.

Old November 26, 2019, 20:13   #16
richbug
Registered

FALaholic #: 10484
Look at ramshot Silhouette

You easily exceed 357 power levels, not near as hard on the ears as LOUDSHOT. Not much in the way of flash either. Meters like water.

https://www.ramshot.com/products/han...uct=Silhouette
richbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2019, 08:25   #17
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Picked up a pound of each of the above recommended powders to give a shot. Has anyone tried cfe pistol, the kid at the lgs counter was real adamant it was the shit and would do anything I needed.

Old November 28, 2019, 12:17   #18
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
10mm is like a 357 magnum to me, lots of boom and flash in the short 29 barrel of a glock. I started with Starline brass from grafs.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...ategoryId/520?

Hs6 powder to fill the case up with volume so less chance of detonation.

Speer 165 grain bullet that is offered in hollow point or flat point that's cheaper for practice. The flat points are about 15 cents compared to 27 cents for the hollow points.

I haven't noticed a bulge useing my dillion square deal and checking with a case Guage every round but then I only load the hollow points real hot.

Good luck with your 10.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2019, 17:25   #19
spider991
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 35820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
My pick for a 155 bullet would be Longshot. Power Pistol will give good velocity but will throw out Hollywood style fireballs. Blue Dot will be less flashy than PP, but still flashy.
i second longshot. get nice velocities, not a ton of flash, decent clean..loading for all my 10s, medium to holy cow..
spider991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2019, 18:57   #20
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
First:

Don't use/buy Nickel cases, period. Nickel cases were produced as an answer to perceived extraction issues with brass cases... its a reliability thing for defensive ammo. You'll see a lot of defensive ammo with Nickel cases. Their life span as reloadable is limited due to the Nickel being harder than brass. They work harden and split after a couple loadings, especially if the loads close to max.

Second:

Unsupported barrels produce that unsightly (and aggravating) bulge. There are aftermarket barrels that help this issue.

Third:

If you want accurate, clean, low/zero flash loads in 10mm with all the bullet weights, Vihtavouri powders are the shit in this caliber, no joke.

"Put your thumb up, hit the bolt release, and quit phuking with God and Eugene"
4x401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2019, 03:36   #21
762gunr
Registered

FALaholic #: 69517
So far I still prefer Longshot. Blue Dot sucks.
762gunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2019, 12:02   #22
Tim Dreas
Registered

FALaholic #: 17255
The bulge busting die sounds like a good idea.

Without one, I find that the Lee carbide sizing die sizes the farthest down the case,closest to the case head, compared to other sizing dies.

Sometimes it takes two passes to pretty much remove the bulge though and if one pass doesn't do it, a second pass really does seem to size better.

Belgian-made A#7 and A#9 have low flash, but are being replaced with US-made versions that I haven't tried.
Old December 06, 2019, 16:44   #23
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Has anyone tried cfe pistol?
and YH what was required to change your 40ís to 357 sig?

Old December 06, 2019, 18:04   #24
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Has anyone tried cfe pistol?
and YH what was required to change your 40ís to 357 sig?
On a Glock,,,all it takes is a 99.00 dollar barrel change.
The 40 magazine works perfectly for either 40 or 357 Sig

Check lonewolf conversion barrels.

There are more expensive ones around,,,but these(99.00 range ones) work to place 10 rounds in a 3 inch circle for me,,,at 25 yds with 357 Sig,,,which is all I need to do with my EDC.

Old December 06, 2019, 18:07   #25
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

I converted one 40 SW/model 22 Glock to 9mm,,,,all it took was a barrel and 9mm magazine.

Some folks say,,,one has or needs to change the extractor or ejector,,,forget which,,, when converted 40 to 9mm,,,mine works just fine with only barrel and magazine swapped out.

Glocks are easy.

Old December 06, 2019, 21:21   #26
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Thanks, I figured it was that simple.

Old December 06, 2019, 21:49   #27
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Thanks, I figured it was that simple.
I keep the model 22 in 40SW,,along with a 9mm and 357 Sig conversion barrel in my get home bag.

357 Sig ain't that common,,,but I always carry spare mags (6) full of it in my vehicles, another one on me,,,and one in the EDC,,,and 40SW and 9mm is found everywhere.

One gun,,,,which in quick order,,,can fire three different rounds.

250.00 for the model 22,,,surplus police from AIM on sale
100.00 each for conversion barrels

Those KCI (Korean) 40SW Glock mags,,for the 22 model,,,,at least the old ones I have here,,,got them when they first came out from CDNN for 5 bucks a piece,,,WILL load and fire 9mm through them without issues.

The 9mm rounds stick up a little in the front,,,but having loaded them by mistake one night to hit range next day,,,damn things worked fine.

Looking at the brown wrappers they came in,,,they had stuck on a 9mm sticker,,over what was 40SW below it.

Looking at the standard Glock mags,,,they won;t do that,,won't hold a 9mm in a 40 magazine.

Mistake or made that way,,,no idea.

Old December 06, 2019, 23:42   #28
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Iíve loaded a lot of 10mm over the years. I canít remember what powder I used for the 155 gr bullets as I switched to 180 gr bullets. I know I used Blue Dot, No.5, Unquie, & 2400 if I remember correctly. I know 2400 had the best velocity out of all the powder but I never fired any in low light settings. Blue dot was the only one I used in any low light setting and I didnít think it was too bad.

As for the case bulge, I have a big bag that I throw any suspect case it to take to the recycle center. Any case that has bulged isnít worth trying to reload in my opinion.

If you are looking for max velocity, I would get a barrel that has a fully supported chamber. It will pay for itself in brass that isnít ruined.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2019, 14:28   #29
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Yeah after doing some reading Iíve moved up to the 180gr. Part of the reason I drifted into the 10 game was I found Lone Wolf Timber wolf, Glock, but with the ergonomics of a 1911 and from what Iíve heard you can run 40 through it without changing a thing. 6.5 inch lone wolf barrel so Iím going to guess even with 180ís velocity wonít be a issue.