The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old November 30, 2019, 09:06   #1
lpcullen
Registered

FALaholic #: 63924
Opinions on Nikon Rifle Scopes

I ordered a black friday special Nikon 4x12x40 BDC scope for my .30-06 deer rifle. It was on sale for a hundred bucks. Now I see that Nikon is getting out of the rifle scope business. Maybe that's why these were on sale?

What are your opinions on Nikon optics? This will be my first one and I assume as far as these go it is bottom shelf. I've always been a cheap Simmons kind of guy so I'm pretty easy to please and did I mention cheap? Do you think this will be a noticeable improvement?
lpcullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2019, 09:14   #2
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
They work fine for what you are wanting to do.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2019, 09:25   #3
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Nikon is a much better piece of glass than Simmons. For a deer rifle you should be well served by the Nikon BDC.
Old November 30, 2019, 09:37   #4
lpcullen
Registered

That's great. I'm pretty excited about it. Seemed like a bargain. It should be here on Tuesday. I should still have enough deer season left to try it out.
Old November 30, 2019, 10:41   #5
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
I’ve owned a few Nikons over the years on various hunting rifles and they’ve all been fine. Clear glass, held zero well, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2019, 10:51   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I read nikonis dropping their line of rifle scopes.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2019, 18:40   #7
paulo
Registered

FALaholic #: 11856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
I read nikonis dropping their line of rifle scopes.
You read correctly. I really liked their Monarch line. Great scopes for the money.
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2019, 18:52   #8
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
In my experience.....they're junk. The only thing worse than the junk scope i bought was their attitude when I called. The scopes tube might as well been made from lead. Dead soft. They told it was my fault it crushed. The rings never got tight. They offered to sell me another.

It doesn't matter that they're getting out of the scope business. If you had a warranty claim they were going to deny it anyway. That's why they're getting out. Not selling enough because their scopes and their employees suck whale dung.
Right Side Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2019, 19:20   #9
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
I've replaced lower end Nikons on two rifles as well as a pair of Nikon binos with Leupold glass. YMMV, but I doubt it will vary by very much. Good luck on your choice.
Old December 01, 2019, 08:40   #10
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
I had 2 of their 3-9 scopes that wouldent hold zero, both were replaced under warranty.
Even at that,,,the hunting rifles they were on were both noticeably better shooters with the burris or leupold scopes I had on them while waiting for the warranty replacements.
So I eventuality parted with both on rifles I sent down the road.
I do have a single one left, a 4-12 on my ruger hb hornet that seems to be ok,,,sofar..
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2019, 08:53   #11
Trypcil
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
Nikon was once a great lens, and camera maker - not anymore, it's just one of many contenders, and by reports not for much longer - makes one wonder as to their future warranty measures on discontinued products. Save your money and time - and buy American!

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression... There is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we must be most aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." -- William O. Douglas, US Supreme Court Justice from 1939-1975

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti
Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2019, 13:57   #12
lpcullen
Registered

So this looks like it could go either way. At least it was only a hundred bucks. Hopefully they will send me a good one! I assume the lifetime warranty will cease to exist when they drop their rifle scope line. The Simmons I bought last year works great for me from what little I've used it but some speck of something broke free inside and though it doesn't interfere with the crosshairs or the sight picture in general I can see it the edge of the objective and it irritates me.
Looks like a little bug with legs but I'm sure it is just debris of some sort. First time this has ever happened to me.
Old December 01, 2019, 16:54   #13
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Unfortunately, with optics you really do get what you pay for. I always tell people who ask me what optics the need to get and I tell them to spend as much as they spent on their rifle. If they do that, they won't be disappointed.

I hope you do have good luck with your scope.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 03, 2019, 17:14   #14
lpcullen
Registered

I got the scope today and must say I'm quite pleased with it. After black friday they went back up to $220. So a hundred bucks seems like a real bargain. I already have it zeroed and ready to go. Hopefully I will see a deer before the season ends! I appreciate everyone's responses to my inquiry.
Old December 04, 2019, 03:03   #15
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Most Nikon's I purchased under $499 price died in the field or on the range under normal use and not abuse. Especially the wire reticle scopes as find after a shot hour reticle is sliding around the bottom of the scope. That said have had two Monarch's that held up and all of the Nikon Black Series have tried are good scopes but have to pay the price good scope companies charge. Nikon is closing their doors, have a bad rep and my guess is that's why. Spend $200 to $300 on a clearance scope from company leaving the market then when if breaks you get to throw it off through fje woods.

Here is some food scope for a bargain. Fake this puppy out for your hunt of a lifetime and see if after temperature changes if it's even six MOA inside of where if was set.

A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2019, 04:11   #16
CTW
Registered

FALaholic #: 41894
I grabbed a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 with the custom dial system for under $200. Hard to beat for that money. Leupold is all I buy.