The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old October 15, 2019, 09:29   #1
K-fal58
Registered

FALaholic #: 72037
Gas port question

I am using a 45 degree gas block on my Ak 47 build. Can the gas port in the barrel be drilled at a 90 degree rather than 45 degrees or does it need to be 45. I don't see any reason it won't work unless the holes are no aligned. This is my first Ak build so I thought I would ask the guys who have built a few like 10 or more.Any help is greatly appreciated. K fal 58.
K-fal58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2019, 11:33   #2
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
As long as they are aligned, it won't matter.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2019, 18:08   #3
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
It's just a lot easier to align a 45 degree gas block, pin it - and then drill the gas port through the gas block.

I put the gas block on with the rear sight and front sight in place, and then run a pointer from the rear sight notch to the top hump on the gas cylinger, to the front sight to make sure all three are mechanically aligned. Then pin an drill port.

Cobalt or carbide, not HSS - in case the bit breaks. Hard bits can be shattered and picked out, HSS just bends.

For 90, I pin prick center of bottom hole on the block, pull the block, put the barrel in the lathe, align a scribe on the pin prick, and then rotate 180 to mark location.
Old October 15, 2019, 20:42   #4
K-fal58
Registered

Thankyou Mark. I was hoping you would find the post. You are a gunsmith but have the mind set of a machinist. I like that.
Old October 15, 2019, 20:53   #5
K-fal58
Registered

One more thing Ak 105. Worth doing or does the 5.45 suffer at 100 yards with a 12.5 barrel? Have a Saiga thinking about making a near clone just won't have a folding stock.
Old October 15, 2019, 22:07   #6
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-fal58 View Post
One more thing Ak 105. Worth doing or does the 5.45 suffer at 100 yards with a 12.5 barrel? Have a Saiga thinking about making a near clone just won't have a folding stock.
5.45 is the shit. It's everything the 7.62x39 wishes it were. I think it is better than 5.56, if comparing ball to 7n6 ball (which I have 28k rounds for sale, by the way).

I think the mid length 5.45 is the best overall. The 8" Krink does lose something. More an issue of sight radius.

Barrel length and accuracy are not related - what you think the rifling is worse at the 8" mark than the 12" or 16"? It's everything about velocity. And at least theoretically, twist. And twist is often tied to bullet weight, although that's not technically true. It's length and sectional density, which often (almost always) correlates with weight. So theoretically, an 8" barrel SHOULD do better with a 1-6 twist, but in practical terms, no discernible difference can be demonstrated from a 1-7. If you want an SBR, from a "fighting rifle" I'd take the 105, or 104C over the 74u. &4u is a very niche weapon. Consider is a big handgun. Defensive versus offensive.

I miss my 5.45 AKs but I had to consolidate calibers for logistical reasons.