The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > The Sharper Side

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2019, 14:41   #1
Whydah
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 74237
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mid-Atlantic Region
Posts: 1,649
Seeking a particular fixed blade knife

I'm seeking a BCB125LCOM BLACKJACK MODEL 125. I've burned up the internet both near and far. They seem to be as rare as chicken lips! Makes me want one even more. Most sites listing the model state its on "extended backorder". I'm beginning to think that means NEVER!

I might would settle (I really hate ever having to settle!) for a Model 125 w/stacked leather, but I really have the hots for the 'commando' version.
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2019, 18:32   #2
imacoonass01
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor
 
imacoonass01's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 80275
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Vidor, TX
Posts: 2,147
http://www.noze-nuz.com/blackjack/BCB125LCOM.php
__________________
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas.” - - Davy Crockett
imacoonass01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2019, 05:35   #3
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor
 
yovinny's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 7679
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wastelands of Western Kentucky
Posts: 6,335
From what I understand, those blackjack RMK knockoff's are now currently made by bark river knives in the USA and supost to be pretty decent, while the cheap blackjacks are chinese produced junk.
Might be worth giving bark river a call and ask if they have one or if any are planned for production...you can google them.
There have been a few versions of blackjack knives..I have one of the original makers 'classics' ,along with a cold steel 'military classic',,,both knockoffs of a RMK #1,,,both pretty decent user knives....though my son has pretty much made off with BOTH,,
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2019, 07:54   #4
Whydah
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 74237
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mid-Atlantic Region
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacoonass01 View Post
I looked at that site yesterday. Can't make heads nor tails out of it.

I have a Bark River 'Gunny Hunter'. Great craftsmanship, but smaller than I had anticipated. Didn't know anything about BR now making the BJ blades. I'll check their site out. Thanks
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2019, 05:44   #5
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor
 
yovinny's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 7679
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wastelands of Western Kentucky
Posts: 6,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydah View Post
I looked at that site yesterday. Can't make heads nor tails out of it.

I have a Bark River 'Gunny Hunter'. Great craftsmanship, but smaller than I had anticipated. Didn't know anything about BR now making the BJ blades. I'll check their site out. Thanks

I doubt their on BR web site, they just do the actual production for the better BJ knives, (the ones that are RMK copys) they dont actually own/distribute the BJ name.
BJ hasent actually made any of the knives they sell or bear their name for a while now,,,at least from what Ive read,,,youd need to go back 30yrs or so to find that.
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2019, 06:01   #6
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor
 
yovinny's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 7679
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wastelands of Western Kentucky
Posts: 6,335
You can try googling 'blackjack knives effingham' and you can probably find some insight on the actual history of the original blackjack knives and the changes in production and ownership since.
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2019, 08:19   #7
Whydah
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 74237
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mid-Atlantic Region
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
You can try googling 'blackjack knives effingham' and you can probably find some insight on the actual history of the original blackjack knives and the changes in production and ownership since.
I know they started out in Ill., had a lot of financial troubles early on, then moved production to Japan for a while. Company was closed and reopened with different investors. After that it gets a little fuzzy.

BJ offers a 'Bushcraft' knife that was designed by one of BR's folks, so there is a relationship there.

One ad I viewed on the BJ mod. 125 'commando' says it was discontinued. I imagine I will only find on on the used market and have been checking eBay. Yesterday I did find one vendor who had BJ's mod. 125 with stacked leather handle. Only difference is that the leather handle isn't contoured as is the commando and the leather sheath is of a different design. I might jump on it. No one else has the stacked leather handles and most of the 125's are "Out of Stock". (I need another knife like I do a second AH, but I can't help myself)
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2019, 09:03   #8
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor
 
MAINER's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 18465
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 9,865
I saw that "discontinued" ad whilst poking about the interweb yesterday. I did see a cool looking 125 with "antique ivory" handle that interested me, but at $214.00, I don't really need another knife either.

My last one is a BR Teddy II, cool blade, dang thing weighs a full pound, but the handle is slickery, green micarta, and I'm tempted to rough it up but it's too pretty, so the BK 7 will keep working.

Your 125 looks a lot like my Randall #5. BJ copied a lot of Bo's blade designs, looked at their version of the #14 Bowie Border Patrol version for a while, but never pushed the buy button.

Good luck in your quest, Ebarf might turn one up. The blade collector sites tend to be a bit outrageous.
__________________
Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.
MAINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2019, 10:31   #9
Whydah
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 74237
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mid-Atlantic Region
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
I saw that "discontinued" ad whilst poking about the interweb yesterday. I did see a cool looking 125 with "antique ivory" handle that interested me, but at $214.00, I don't really need another knife either.

My last one is a BR Teddy II, cool blade, dang thing weighs a full pound, but the handle is slickery, green micarta, and I'm tempted to rough it up but it's too pretty, so the BK 7 will keep working.

Your 125 looks a lot like my Randall #5. BJ copied a lot of Bo's blade designs, looked at their version of the #14 Bowie Border Patrol version for a while, but never pushed the buy button.

Good luck in your quest, Ebarf might turn one up. The blade collector sites tend to be a bit outrageous.
The handle on my 'Gunny' Hunter feels slick as well. Its a beautiful burl macarta, but I wonder how slippery it might get field dressing game. Carried it on a few hunts last year but never got to bloody it up.

Unless someone just has to have a knife by Randal I can't see any real advantage over a quality production knife these days.

I think I may order that 125. Its sitting there now only one 'click' away! Hell, my wife is re-doing the entire bathroom. I think that me getting one 'ol knife shouldn't be an issue!
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2019, 12:03   #10
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor
 
yovinny's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 7679
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wastelands of Western Kentucky
Posts: 6,335
Most RMK's are hand forged works of art.
Some are kind of heavy and blocky, but those are ment to be that way, the fighting knives are a whole different animal.
If you've never had and used one, at least take the opportunity to fondle one sometime.
I love giving people their first experience wielding an RMK,,,you see their eyes light up,,,
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2019, 12:26   #11
Whydah
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 74237
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mid-Atlantic Region
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Most RMK's are hand forged works of art.
Some are kind of heavy and blocky, but those are ment to be that way, the fighting knives are a whole different animal.
If you've never had and used one, at least take the opportunity to fondle one sometime.
I love giving people their first experience wielding an RMK,,,you see their eyes light up,,,
I imagine one has to develop a certain kind of expertise and appreciation for such a hand forged blade like a Randal same as learning to appreciate a fine wine. Me? I'm still at the $9 bottle of Yellowtail level. I just ordered the BJ 125. Its cost is about the max of my spending pain level for a blade. That's about as close to owning a Randal as I'm likely to get unless I'm gifted one someday. But, I do understand what you say.
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2019, 07:31   #12
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor
 
yovinny's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 7679
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wastelands of Western Kentucky
Posts: 6,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydah View Post
I imagine one has to develop a certain kind of expertise and appreciation for such a hand forged blade like a Randal same as learning to appreciate a fine wine. Me? I'm still at the $9 bottle of Yellowtail level. I just ordered the BJ 125. Its cost is about the max of my spending pain level for a blade. That's about as close to owning a Randal as I'm likely to get unless I'm gifted one someday. But, I do understand what you say.
Blade quality and actual using appreciation might only come with experience, but just fondling one will well convey its not your average bear....
You dont need to be a race car driver to feel the difference when sliding in behind the wheel of a hyundai or a ferrari....
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2019, 10:00   #13
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor
 
MAINER's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 18465
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 9,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydah View Post
I imagine one has to develop a certain kind of expertise and appreciation for such a hand forged blade like a Randal same as learning to appreciate a fine wine. Me? I'm still at the $9 bottle of Yellowtail level. I just ordered the BJ 125. Its cost is about the max of my spending pain level for a blade. That's about as close to owning a Randal as I'm likely to get unless I'm gifted one someday. But, I do understand what you say.
Actually, I was "gifted" with my first Randall around age 16 or so. It was in an Uncle's fishing gear and my Aunt gave it to me after he passed away. He loved fishing, especially For Salmon in New Brunswick's Gaspe Peninsula region. At the time, I had not a clue about a Randall, just thought it was a pretty neat knife.

That knife was a 4 inch blade and probably what is called their "Trout & Bird" model now. Got an appreciation of Swedish Tool Steel from that knife.
During the Nam days I ordered several knives from Randall. An FPO address got you to the head of the line from Bo. I saw a number of Randalls in use, mostly Model 1's and 18's and my favorite, a Model 14, along with Ek's and Gerbers of course.

The knife situation back then was quite different than now. A quality knife was a much harder find compared to the staggering variety of good blades to choose from these days.

Randall's are badly overpriced collectors items now. There are better choices from Bark River, Falkniven and your BJ for a few.
Then too, it's always been hard convincing the guy with a $20 Mora that he needs a better knife.
__________________
Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.
MAINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2019, 13:49   #14
Whydah
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 74237
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mid-Atlantic Region
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
Actually, I was "gifted" with my first Randall around age 16 or so. It was in an Uncle's fishing gear and my Aunt gave it to me after he passed away. He loved fishing, especially For Salmon in New Brunswick's Gaspe Peninsula region. At the time, I had not a clue about a Randall, just thought it was a pretty neat knife.

That knife was a 4 inch blade and probably what is called their "Trout & Bird" model now. Got an appreciation of Swedish Tool Steel from that knife.
During the Nam days I ordered several knives from Randall. An FPO address got you to the head of the line from Bo. I saw a number of Randalls in use, mostly Model 1's and 18's and my favorite, a Model 14, along with Ek's and Gerbers of course.

The knife situation back then was quite different than now. A quality knife was a much harder find compared to the staggering variety of good blades to choose from these days.

Randall's are badly overpriced collectors items now. There are better choices from Bark River, Falkniven and your BJ for a few.
Then too, it's always been hard convincing the guy with a $20 Mora that he needs a better knife.
Agree ^
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2019 The FAL Files