Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 22 Files

Notices

Old October 14, 2019, 10:31   #1
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
10/22 Replacement Barrel... Looking for recs that won't cost limbs

So I've been on a kick to bring my 10/22 into the finer-shootin' world. I've recently performed a trigger job on the factory trigger, and that is a great improvement, but now I'm looking to upgrade the barrel. So no, not going to drop crazy $$$, but would like a barrel that will shoot most ammo better than the factory barrel does, and as I never use Stingers or other extended-case .22LR I don't need a chamber to accommodate those. Essentially I'm looking for a better than factory, prefer non-stainless (unless melonited), not terribly heavy, 16", and shoots most basic .22LR reliably and better than the factory barrel. I'm thinking a Bentz chamber or something similar, fluting or even a bit of a taper similar to the factory, or CF or aluminum sleeved, and would prefer to be under $200. Yes... I want a f'ing unicorn. So who's in the unicorn bidnezz?
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2019, 11:33   #2
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
There's nothing expensive about a good barrel for the 10/22.
I used to get them from YHM because they're readily available, were threaded and they have/had good shipping

They were around $150 but prices have gone up a little. A standard factory profile barrel is now $167

The bull barrels have gone up to $190

Green Mountain is a good place to look. Their barrels start around $120 and go up to $170

Unless something really crazy is going on, all 10/22 barrels are going to have a Bentz chamber
Old October 14, 2019, 11:46   #3
flopshot
Registered

FALaholic #: 21389
pleased with my Green Mountain Bull.
Old October 14, 2019, 20:55   #4
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
This is what I have been lusting after: https://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-22L...rel_p_138.html

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2019, 23:13   #5
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
I have found that the factory barrels work quite well for anything that I do. I even have a few spare ones that people gave me when I put one of the fancy, expensive ones on to replace the factory new barrel...

What I have found is that these rifles are not all that fun to shoot until you replace the factory trigger (which, to put it bluntly, just sucks).

I bought my first 10/22R in about 1974 and, forty years later and many thousands of rounds through the gun, had a trigger just as shitty as the day I bought it (usually use will help smoothing them out, but not on the 10/22).

I had no use for another 10/22 until Bill was dead and Ruger came out with their takedown 10/22. It's quite the engineering feat, so I bought a couple (both of which had the same shitty trigger as the original one 40 years earlier).

I haven't been a big fan of aftermarket triggers for the 10/22. When Ruger came out with their modular 10/22 trigger, I picked one up. While it's not a Geissele, it's so much better than the original that it feels like one ). I quickly picked them up for the other two 10/22s that I have too...

Now they really are a joy to shoot (and, with the take-downs, a joy to clean too).

Forrest
ftierson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2019, 01:26   #6
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
This is what I have been lusting after: https://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-22L...rel_p_138.html
All it takes is money... And FWIW, Feddersen offers very reasonably priced, exceptionally accurate barrels. They offer both bull and tapered barrels.
Old October 15, 2019, 04:03   #7
OMCHamlin
Registered

FALaholic #: 15205
I had a Hogue many years ago, but foolishly sold it to a friend so I could fund a much "cooler" looking barrel that didn't shoot as well I backed away from that one and got a 16.75" threaded, fluted Kidd that shoots well with or without the can. Currently $203 at Kidd's site.
OMCHamlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2019, 06:41   #8
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Lots of good barrels mentioned.
I might add Whistle Pig to the list of options.

https://www.wpgbc.com/

A Kidd trigger is the heart of my one and only 10-22T nowadays and I have never regretted spending the dough on it.

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2019, 09:33   #9
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
If watch for sales can pick up Kidd barrels for $200 with daily street price of $245. Have been buying a lot of fast twist 1:9 barrels lately as shoot more 60 grain subsonic than most any other for killing varmints. Have Pike Arms bull barrels and factory taper barrels in both 1:16 and 1:9 twist rates that shoot well and are priced from $129 to $149. Their taper barrels are heavier profile than stock and come threaded for suppressors or other muzzle devices. Suggest everyone build up at least one fast twist 10/22 for subsonic use as really makes a difference if using them out to 100 yards and beyond.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2019, 13:55   #10
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
If watch for sales can pick up Kidd barrels for $200 with daily street price of $245. Have been buying a lot of fast twist 1:9 barrels lately as shoot more 60 grain subsonic than most any other for killing varmints. Have Pike Arms bull barrels and factory taper barrels in both 1:16 and 1:9 twist rates that shoot well and are priced from $129 to $149. Their taper barrels are heavier profile than stock and come threaded for suppressors or other muzzle devices. Suggest everyone build up at least one fast twist 10/22 for subsonic use as really makes a difference if using them out to 100 yards and beyond.
Huey, I like the idea of the weight savings of a taper barrel. Do you see any difference in how the heavy and tapered Pikes shoot? I'm not going to be putting together long strings of firing so the heavy probably isn't necessary for what I need, and I like the prices you're mentioning.
Old October 15, 2019, 18:14   #11
paulo
Registered

FALaholic #: 11856
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&L View Post
There's nothing expensive about a good barrel for the 10/22.
I used to get them from YHM because they're readily available, were threaded and they have/had good shipping

They were around $150 but prices have gone up a little. A standard factory profile barrel is now $167

The bull barrels have gone up to $190

Green Mountain is a good place to look. Their barrels start around $120 and go up to $170

Unless something really crazy is going on, all 10/22 barrels are going to have a Bentz chamber
Iíll second the Green Mountain barrels.
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2019, 21:38   #12
ICU308
Registered

FALaholic #: 49888
+1 on Green Mountain barrels .
Had mine cut for suppressor years ago , and never looked back .
Old October 16, 2019, 20:40   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend170 View Post
Huey, I like the idea of the weight savings of a taper barrel. Do you see any difference in how the heavy and tapered Pikes shoot? I'm not going to be putting together long strings of firing so the heavy probably isn't necessary for what I need, and I like the prices you're mentioning.
For minute of squirrel out to 100 yards the Pike stainless taper barrels shoot great. They swing better compared to a stainless bull barrel when tracking a moving varmint. All of my Kidd barrels are stainless lined aluminum bull barrels and weight saved using an aluminum tube with stainless liner is nice when chasing varmints and my 16" Kidd barrels are chipmunk accurate. Takes a good rig to snipe chipmunks. Kidd also has an ultralight 16" bull barrel that is $185 everyday on their website and is full profile and shoots well.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2019, 15:32   #14
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

Decisions decisions... thanks for the feedback everyone.