The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old October 05, 2019, 08:41   #1
Woodpusherpro
Registered

FALaholic #: 82490
M72 SBR + the making of..PIC HEAVY

Here's a few pics of the sbr I built over at the Circle 7 Armory shop. Took a couple classes where he has showed me alot on building aks and his hard earned leasons building mostly aks.This is the third of four rifles I've built at the shop.

This was originally built as a 16" carbine, then disassembled and redone into a sbr after getting my stamp of approval. Form 1 approved in 32 days after payment. The gas block/fsb combo is a custom made piece I made by miling a M76 gas block w/ regulator and Npap fsb and welding them together. Lots of lathe, milling, welding, grinding, filing work. Y'all know.

Oh, barrel is now 11.75"

This rifle started life for me as a Yugo M72 parts kit from Numrich with a Childers reciever and Akbuilder chromelined 16" barrel. Here's the original build thread:
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377604

This is the M72 carbine start point for this project:

I wish I had pictures of the gas block and fsb after milling, but this is after welding them.

After grinding, dremel, filing.

Shit...more milling.

Time for some lathe work.

Hmm.. This barrel already has a gas port.. Guess it'll be shorter than that.

Cutting some threads. I went OG M14x1.0LH.

If you noticed, the fsb/gb combo journal is larger than the smallest part of the barrel. The cooling fins were lathed down and still provide a good seal.

Drilling, cutting, welding gas tube.

Time for the gas port to be drilled. Took me several times to get the right port size and regulator ports drilled to where I wanted. Setting 2 on the M76 regulator is my regular setting. 1 is undergassed, 3 is overgassed.

Rough finished front half minus shortened cleaning rod next to Romy G front.

Finally..

I also had to cut and reweld the gas piston to length. I have some of member Thors Hammer stencils to do the "urj" selector markings.
Hopefully try it with the Hybrid soon, maybe today at the public range.

Last edited by Woodpusherpro; October 05, 2019 at 08:44. Reason: Added picture
Woodpusherpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2019, 09:31   #2
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
WECSOG award winner

Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2019, 14:32   #3
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
Looks great, except the current muzzle device. Looks like little dick syndrome. M72 is a husky gun, and needs a meatier brake option. In my opinion. Nice machine work.
mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2019, 21:44   #4
Woodpusherpro
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp View Post
Looks great, except the current muzzle device. Looks like little dick syndrome. M72 is a husky gun, and needs a meatier brake option. In my opinion. Nice machine work.
The flash hider (this particular one is a US made replica) is a PKM style short flash hider, would be for a lmg. Would ha e been a shame to cut the barrel length down so much just to add a big long muzzle device.
Old October 05, 2019, 22:37   #5
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Even looking at pics of the thing I need earplugs...

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop! -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2019, 22:57   #6
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
+1

Molon labe
easttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 05, 2019, 23:02   #7
K-fal58
Registered

FALaholic #: 72037
Were did you source the flash hider. Looks like a romanian tanker brake.
K-fal58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 06, 2019, 07:41   #8
Woodpusherpro
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-fal58 View Post
Were did you source the flash hider. Looks like a romanian tanker brake.
It's actually shorter than a Romanian Pm Md 90 flash hider. I got this one from a friend, who got it from someone else. Here is the original source:

http://www.cncwarrior.com/PKM-Short-p/23340.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
It's really not that bad. With only a muzzle nut, it had a decent little flash every two or three rounds. With that little hider it doesn't, but I have yet to fire it at night.

It does have a more concussive blast, but nothing like a short barreled 5.56 for some strange reason. I felt I kept the barrel respectable at 11.75". Alot of guys go to 10" or less on some builds.

Last edited by Woodpusherpro; October 06, 2019 at 07:48.
Old October 07, 2019, 08:55   #9
K-fal58
Registered

Wood is a Sbr Ak worth doing.I have been playing with the idea of taking a draco and making a pm 90 tanker clone out of it. That will involve doing sbr paper work. As a tactical approach what is accuracy like out to 100 yards? I am a shooter meaning I train with 1000 rounds in a weekend and so forth. I have a sbr fal 13 inch and will hit a pie plate at 100 yards all day long. Most refer to short ak47's as range toys nothing more. If it was in 5.45 I wouldn't be so worried. So is it worth it.

Last edited by K-fal58; October 07, 2019 at 14:33.
Old October 07, 2019, 18:39   #10
Woodpusherpro
Registered

Quote:
Wood is a Sbr Ak worth doing.I have been playing with the idea of taking a draco and making a pm 90 tanker clone out of it. That will involve doing sbr paper work. As a tactical approach what is accuracy like out to 100 yards? I am a shooter meaning I train with 1000 rounds in a weekend and so forth. I have a sbr fal 13 inch and will hit a pie plate at 100 yards all day long. Most refer to short ak47's as range toys nothing more. If it was in 5.45 I wouldn't be so worried. So is it worth it.
Lots of points to hit here:

Accuracy; With the first type of ammo, Brown Bear, it did well. About 3 inch groups at 100. This is with iron sights resting on a sandbag. It may have been better with a scope or sharp red dot, but I have excellent eyesight and am a decently good shot, so I think I had a realistic expectation of what it can do.

Velocity/power: From what I researched, going from a 16" barrel to a 12" velocity is only 200 feet per second slower, maybe not even that dramatic. I will say, while shooting steel with the sbr and a 16" M70, I could hear a difference. How far can most shoot an iron sighted ak? I have done this with my other aks..For me, I can hit a 2/3 sillouette at 300 yards with about 70% success, sometimes better.. Sometimes worse. 7.62x 39 is an excellent candidate for shorter barrels. On the flip side, 5.56 takes a bigger hit on velocity and damage with shorter barrels.

Worth it to me? Hell yes. Very unique, and still very effective.

Worth it to you? Depends, obviously. A md 90 would be excellent, light, and with a wire folding stock it would be an extremely small package. The wire folder would be a much cheaper alternative to a triangle stock. The stock makes a world of difference with hits on target. You could also keed a 20 rd magazine in it for compactness.
Old October 07, 2019, 18:59   #11
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
You like Pugs,don't you....
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 07, 2019, 19:28   #12
Woodpusherpro
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
You like Pugs,don't you....
I know you're being facetious, but I dont care for the people that bred a species of dog to have poor genetics and chronic health issues.
Old October 07, 2019, 19:35   #13
K-fal58
Registered

Thank you Wood pusher for your insight. I am sure the heavier profle barrel and rpk receiver make all the difference in the world. Great looking gun by the way. I have always liked the Rpk rifles with barrel links shorter than normal. Love the molot vepr in 16 inch.Thankyou Will
Old October 07, 2019, 22:57   #14
Woodpusherpro
Registered

Quote:
Thank you Wood pusher for your insight. I am sure the heavier profle barrel and rpk receiver make all the difference in the world. Great looking gun by the way. I have always liked the Rpk rifles with barrel links shorter than normal. Love the molot vepr in 16 inch.Thankyou Will
The heavier receiver and barrel don't do anything for my sbr on a "tactical" insight except negatively impact weight. I did this because I thought it was cool. I enjoy it and it is still a viable weapon, but take the Romainian rh10: you can file for a sbr and when you receive the OK cut and rethread the barrel, slap on a wire folder if ya want... Badass, compact, effective weapon.
Old October 08, 2019, 07:50   #15
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Damned cool lil' rifle!

Well done for sure!

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is offline   Reply With Quote