The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old October 10, 2019, 19:29   #51
fal762
Registered

FALaholic #: 66358
"It all depends where the range is.

So Billy Joe wants to shoot muzzle loader on your yuppie range, he needs a back ground check even though there is no real regulation ?

Yeah, because if he's a fuk up and starts lobbing lead at the nearby subdivisions which in a lot of once rural areas are now encroaching upon and surrounding some ranges, guess who gets sued and eventually run out of business? The people who own and run the range, that's who.

Sorry - taking precautions doesn't put them on par with Dick's Sporting goods who wants nobody to have guns. These ranges don't want to get sued out of existence. "

This is our current situation. We were pretty well isolated but in the last 10 years subdivisions have started to spring up around us.
I was (and am still) against the new regulations but can see the need for them. We had to move once before in the late 80s-early 90s (before my time) due to suburban encroachment. Land anywhere within an hour has gotten so expensive that I doubt we could afford new land.
As per the lawsuits some here don't seem to believe happen, they do. The dumbest one I've heard of is someone in the new subdivision next to the range sued us for a bullet impact through the front wall of their house. Their house backs to the range. Now think about that a minute. We won that handily but it still took money and resources to fight. Noise ordnances are another big hassle.
I think many of us would like to have situations like this "nobody wanted to go there
some days nobody shows up, it's pretty isolated in swampland" but we live in reality and make due with what we can get.
fal762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2019, 15:47   #52
Cava3r4
Registered

FALaholic #: 6560
I understand.
We had a really nice range and it was open to the public and you had an honorary 3 dollar steel pad locked container to shoot there.
The 3 dollars paid for new target stands etc.
Clowns would show up and shoot the target stands cause they didn't bring a paper target and tape or staple gun and RUIN them.
Clowns would leave their TRASH and empty liquour containers.
SO.... we made it so you had to be a member and put in a little cheap steel gate that you had to have one of those magnetic membership credit card badge deals.
This cut way down on the damage as the clowns were to lazy to have to walk a 1/2 mile to the shooting point.

Same goes true out here in AZ in the desert. The BLM only asks that you bring out what you brought in. AZZholes bring refridgerators and all kinds of crap to shoot and let it lay.

WE shooters ALL LOSE due to a few clowns and AZZholes.
Soon, we will all be stuck paying 500 or a thousand a year to have a place to shoot.
Cava3r4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2019, 08:43   #53
MOS11C
Registered

FALaholic #: 38594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cava3r4 View Post
I understand.
We had a really nice range and it was open to the public and you had an honorary 3 dollar steel pad locked container to shoot there.
The 3 dollars paid for new target stands etc.
Clowns would show up and shoot the target stands cause they didn't bring a paper target and tape or staple gun and RUIN them.
Clowns would leave their TRASH and empty liquour containers.
SO.... we made it so you had to be a member and put in a little cheap steel gate that you had to have one of those magnetic membership credit card badge deals.
This cut way down on the damage as the clowns were to lazy to have to walk a 1/2 mile to the shooting point.

Same goes true out here in AZ in the desert. The BLM only asks that you bring out what you brought in. AZZholes bring refridgerators and all kinds of crap to shoot and let it lay.

WE shooters ALL LOSE due to a few clowns and AZZholes.
Soon, we will all be stuck paying 500 or a thousand a year to have a place to shoot.

Any clown and/or asshole can pass a background check and a safety course
.......and still continue to be clowns and assholes.........LOL

-
-
--
-
Old October 12, 2019, 09:17   #54
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS11C View Post
Any clown and/or asshole can pass a background check and a safety course
.......and still continue to be clowns and assholes.........LOL

-
-
--
-
my point exactly

look at licensed drivers getting DUIs
Riversidesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2019, 10:13   #55
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
my point exactly

look at licensed drivers getting DUIs
To hell with the DUI part, look at licensed drivers!
Old October 12, 2019, 10:24   #56
MOS11C
Registered

FALaholic #: 38594
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
To hell with the DUI part, look at licensed drivers!
A CCW Licensed dude, who took a safety course, did not keep his shotgun pointing down range but pointed a shotgun in my direction last weekend.

I yelled "UOOOO!!!" "UOOOO!!!" "UOOOO!!!" "UOOOO!!!" "UOOOO!!!" and hit the ground.
Served me as a training exercise......LOL

-
-
-
-
Old October 12, 2019, 10:32   #57
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS11C View Post
A CCW Licensed dude, who took a safety course, did not keep his shotgun pointing down range but pointed a shotgun in my direction last weekend.

I yelled "UOOOO!!!" "UOOOO!!!" "UOOOO!!!" "UOOOO!!!" "UOOOO!!!" and hit the ground.
Served me as a training exercise......LOL

-
-
-
-
Kinda off topic but I hate public ranges and what I hate even more is family shooting events. My background is in formal shooting venues and competition that have structure and rules. Seeing people, even ones I know and love, be lackadaisical and fippant about gun safety makes me crazy, anxiety filled, and I can't relax and enjoy the event.
Old October 12, 2019, 19:51   #58
ICOM7800
Registered

FALaholic #: 65978
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjeeper View Post
Nope. I will just use my backyard.
Same here.To hell with a so called "Range".Hell,I shoot fullautos off my back deck.
ICOM7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:35   #59
Slaughter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73180
I still say having TWO members vouch for somebody and make them agree to ensure the newbie comes up to speed on rules and expectations. Yeah, backgrounds and yadda yadda but who do you KNOW who can stand up for somebody's personal integrity?
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:58   #60
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
No, just like I won’t join a range with an NRA requirement.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:01   #61
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
I'm not a member of a gun range now.

Except for a private range that I own where I can shoot what I want, when I want, and however I want.

Fast fire is fine as long as you're not wasting bullets.

Full auto is fire as long as you have that goofy grin on your face after dumping your first mag into the backstop.

Even flamethrowers are fine as long as the fire is out before the fire department gets there.

Don't shoot centerfire ammo at my one and only 22 rimfire target that is painted pink and has a little pig face drawn on it. It's real easy to see which one not to shoot.

If the brass hits the ground, it's mine. Unless it's .380 I don't want none of that junk.

John A is offline   Reply With Quote