Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old October 09, 2019, 11:25   #1
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75606
First pig hunt, need some advice

So, after some leg work I've got a good chance on getting out on a pig hunt in a couple of weeks. A guy I know owns five square miles out in BFE and there are wild pigs galore. I spoke with him yesterday and he said that we should be able to get out there and have a good time. Here's my question to the hive.

I need a lead on how to field dress and skin these bad boys. I've been looking at videos but none really break it down (no pun intended) well enough for me to feel comfortable to just have at it on my own. I don't want to waste any meat or eff up some how. He told me to get two tags, so I'm sure the second one will be easier than the first, but I'd rather go into this hunt as prepared as I can be.

Any help or info would be well appreciated.

thanks in advance.
Old October 09, 2019, 11:57   #2
starbuck
Registered

FALaholic #: 26466
This guy is very good. I use his method for deer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHjnUVO_tAQ
Old October 09, 2019, 12:19   #3
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Ive been hunting feral pigs and boars for years. From my experience they make great sausage and little else.

I dress them like a deer then immediately throw them in a walk in freezer or cooler with ice for around 5 days.
I then cube the meat removing silver and the little fat I find.

Then run through my grinder 3 times, mixing in 2lb of pork fat with 8lb of game meat to make sausages. They come out really nice but the leaving them for 5 or so days is imperative. Ive tried less and it was super gamey tasting.

Have fun, I miss pig hunting living this far north.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old October 09, 2019, 13:00   #4
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
dress them like a deer then immediately throw them in a walk in freezer or cooler with ice for around 5 days.
I then cube the meat removing silver and the little fat I find.

Then run through my grinder 3 times, mixing in 2lb of pork fat with 8lb of game meat to make sausages. They come out really nice but the leaving them for 5 or so days is imperative.
^^^THIS^^^
Old October 09, 2019, 13:02   #5
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
The older the pig the tougher the meat. Don't be afraid to shoot a young one if it is the meat you are after.
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2019, 13:35   #6
pmf
Registered

FALaholic #: 2923
You need tags to hunt those things? I thought they were in the 'please kill as many as you want' category/
pmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2019, 13:57   #7
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Buzzards gotta eat same as worms is what Josie Wales says

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2019, 13:59   #8
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFeod View Post
So, after some leg work I've got a good chance on getting out on a pig hunt in a couple of weeks. A guy I know owns five square miles out in BFE and there are wild pigs galore. I spoke with him yesterday and he said that we should be able to get out there and have a good time. Here's my question to the hive.

I need a lead on how to field dress and skin these bad boys. I've been looking at videos but none really break it down (no pun intended) well enough for me to feel comfortable to just have at it on my own. I don't want to waste any meat or eff up some how. He told me to get two tags, so I'm sure the second one will be easier than the first, but I'd rather go into this hunt as prepared as I can be.

Any help or info would be well appreciated.

thanks in advance.
In my experience, if I'm going to eat the pig, I try not to shoot a sow over roughly 80lbs. The bigger they are, the gamier the meat is and boars tend to taste gamier than sows. So I try to shoot a youngish sow if it's meat for the table.

In terms of how to field dress them; they're a four-legged mammal so it'll be roughly the same procedure as for a deer, elk, moose, etc. Just make sure you don't cut the membrane that holds in the stomach and intestines because you really do not want to deal with that. (And in that same vein, try not to gut shoot the hog either. It's a nasty mess to deal with when you dress them.)

Wild hogs normally don't have much fat on them and unless you're out to get every bit of meat off them, the ribs often aren't worth saving. With a hog you will get two shoulders, two hams, two tenderloins, and two backstraps. The hams will be where the most meat is. I don't make sausage so I usually slow cook the shoulders and hams in a crockpot and roast the tenderloins and backstraps . If you want to make sausage, talk to your local butcher and get some pig fat or buy the cheapest, fattiest cuts of pork you can source locally to throw in with the grind.

Good luck! Have fun! Kill all the hogs you can find! They're plentiful and need someone to thin them out.

Molon labe
easttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2019, 14:32   #9
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
I'll kill and eat stuff up to 80ish lbs, but the shoats are the popcorn of the pig world. Easy to handle, easy to clean, not gamey yet, and you can throw a whole one or two on a pit and slow smoke 'em to tender greatness.

If you're trying to handle a vermin problem killing the females is the big thing, but getting the little ones before they can breed is important as well. If you come up on a group or are hunting over bait of some sort and have choices kill the females and shoats as they are the best to control them and best eating as well.

I've also found, if you're in close quarters, a defensive shotgun with #4 buckshot is very effective and have gotten more than 1 with a single 12g blast from 20 to 25 yds or so.

For the bigger ones though smoke is your friend. If you're going to make sausage be sure to get some sort of fat into it. Despite the fact that they are pigs they are surprisingly lean and the meat dries out easily without the fat available.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2019, 14:39   #10
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
I was taught to remove the musk glands (dad call them wolves) from the underside of the front legs to help reduce the gamey flavor of wild pork. Like others here stated; I used the hams and backstraps. All else became sausage with domestic pork fat added.
Eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2019, 14:53   #11
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Were me,I gun specifically for the little baby ones. They prolly ain't too bad.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2019, 15:08   #12
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75606
Thanks for all the speedy replies. This will be to fill the freezer, so I’m looking for the youngsters. The local butcher Dale said he’d process them up for me. I just have to bring them in skinned and field dressed. I would like everything ground up except the tender loin for bbq or smoking. Should I bring out a big cooler full of salt, water and ice? I’m not sure if dale will hang them, but I’ve heard nuthin but positive comments on his butchering. I’ve got some “hunting” Ammo I picked up(I usually just plink with mil surp and hand rolls) so I’ve got to get out and sight my rifle in. Hopefully I’ll be lucky enough to post up some pictures after the hunt. Thanks again, and please the more comments the better.

Last edited by AFeod; October 09, 2019 at 18:08.
AFeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2019, 20:35   #13
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
lots of good advise has been given here

1) skin the pig first,

2) then be very careful to gut it

3) then get it iced/cooled down quickly
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2019, 22:36   #14
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
I have killed a bunch of pigs/hogs but my opinion of them as table fare is far different from most (got to wonder how many wild hogs they have dealt with).

First off, there is a difference to me between "mountain" hogs and "flat land" hogs. "Mountain" hogs to me are the descendants of European/Russian stock
like those found in TN and such. Texas has mostly flat land hogs (feral hogs) and those damn stinky javelinas which will not be mentioned further.

The easiest way to skin a hog is with a box cutter. You cut through the tough hide and pull it off in strips. If you think you can put a tennis ball under the hide and pull it off with 2 men, you will be sadly disappointed.

Once skinned, I cut the head off and gut them trying to keep that crap off the meat. Take out any "kernals" in the glands that you find on both the front and back legs. I like the taste of feral hogs better then I do store bought. I process the carcass like you find in stores. I have hams, butts (shoulders) ribs and usually cut pork chops with a battery powered saw. They may be smaller then store bought, but the taste will make you lick the bones when they are fried or grilled. If I make anything into sausage, it will be trimmings and the shoulders.

If you shoot a boar, before you toss it as a lost cause, cut into it under the hide and pull out a slice that has both fat and meat on it. Put it into a hot frying pan, if it stinks....toss the bastard but most will not and it will make a good eater!

Of course, if you shoot the shoats, clean them up and cook them whole on a pit....you will be glad you did!

I have shot them with everything from .223 to .300wsm. Up close in groups I would pick the AR everytime! Singles I like to shoot in the ears from the broadside. I have seen them shot in the ankle with a AR and they squeal and toss around the ground long enough to shoot again. I have seen a big sow take a .243 100gn in the shoulder and run off never to be found. Look up a hog anatomy for how the vitals hang and the spine runs....a lot of people mess up by not paying attention to it!

Have fun and hope you fill a pick up! Whoops, sorry for my exuberance....looks like tags are required and by your location I guess you are hunting in CA? Anyway, hope you get all you have tags for!
Old October 09, 2019, 23:00   #15
mutter
Registered

FALaholic #: 22871
Bring some dish soap mixed with water and a spray bottle. Hang the animal and spray it with the soap mixture and let it dry.

With the animal hanging hind legs up, cut the skin just above the hind knees. Then connect the 2 cuts by cutting on the inside of the legs across the abdomen from the inside of the skin with out puncturing the the abdominal wall.

I use a butcher knife at this point to peel and slice the skin away. bring a sharpener. you will need it.

1 technique is to keep slicing and peeling by hand.

Another technique is to peel the hide until about 6 inches down from the ass. Make a 2 to 3 inch vertical slit. Slide a chain through and secure. secure the other end of the chain to the hitch on your truck and hit the gas.

Bring a piece of string. tie a small loop in 1 end. now make a cut in the abdomen just below the crotch just big enough to put your hand. insert hand with string and run it around the intestine as close to the ass as you can get it. put the end through the loop and tie off the intestine. you can now gut the animal with minimal chance of contamination.

other then that you have some pretty good advice above.
mutter is offline   Reply With Quote