The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old January 19, 2014, 14:40   #1
mth308
Registered

FALaholic #: 32858
Polymer FAL Para Stock at SHOT

The Belgian company RDIH was present at SHOT Show with a lightweight polymer stock for the paratrooper variants of the FAL and LARís.

While a rifle with the stock installed was not available Ė we were able to handle the stock itself. The construction appears solid and well constructed. I believe a tube-stock cheek pad would mount securely on this stock, such as the one from ITC.
- See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2....NNwY4tSb.dpuf
mth308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2014, 14:46   #2
Graham2
Registered

FALaholic #: 35562
It's always nice to see that people are still interested in making parts for FALs but that's just horrible and is it really any better than what is already available?

As for not having one fitted to a rifle, well, that's just shoddy!
Graham2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2014, 02:05   #3
Bertellione
Registered

FALaholic #: 66658
Why does it not have the nub on the bottom of the block to keep it from spinning on the lower receiver?

Or is it ment to convert a standard lower to a folder with out modification, keeping the tang?
Old January 20, 2014, 04:43   #4
Fang
Registered

FALaholic #: 53310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertellione View Post
Why does it not have the nub on the bottom of the block to keep it from spinning on the lower receiver?

Or is it ment to convert a standard lower to a folder with out modification, keeping the tang?
The latter. The drawings from the company also show it using a modified standard bolt carrier with a novel spring setup. That's interesting, even if the stock itself isn't much to look at.
Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2019, 13:56   #5
FalMarc
Registered

FALaholic #: 32417
RDIH made the conversion for me ;

works fine ;
FalMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2019, 14:32   #6
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Weapon can't be fired while the stock is folded.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2019, 15:08   #7
FalMarc
Registered

can be fired, the stock has no internal action ;
Old November 29, 2019, 16:10   #8
D. Lehrman
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 10
Seems to be something only for those intruiged by such. Sort of a solution in search of a problem. Jump it if you like. I'll stick with factory parts.

D. Lehrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2019, 16:21   #9
yovinny
Uneducated NYC Boy
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Lehrman View Post
Seems to be something only for those intruiged by such. Sort of a solution in search of a problem. Jump it if you like. I'll stick with factory parts.

I dont get it ??
It appears as if you have to mill off most of the top of a standard bolt carrier....
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2019, 16:28   #10
D. Lehrman
Registered
Bronze Contributor

....and no attachment bolt, only a sturdy plastic nub with, apparently, a screw to force attachment from the inside (or some sort of pop rivet arrangement?). Looks truly jackass to me. I just have no problem with the factory designed parts...even the DSA stuff seems to be quite a bit better; but to each his own. I just don't see this arrangment being "battle ready" anywhere.
Old November 29, 2019, 16:50   #11
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalMarc View Post
can be fired, the stock has no internal action ;
When folded, looks like the stock is blocking the lower third portion of the ejection port.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2019, 17:32   #12
D. Lehrman
Registered
Bronze Contributor

...and becomes a plastic ejection port buffer.

No, this is definitely something that should stay in Europe where they understand the fine nuances of space age design.
Old November 30, 2019, 03:01   #13
FalMarc
Registered

1)It appears as if you have to mill off most of the top of a standard bolt carrier;

2) when folded, looks like the stock is blocking the lower third portion of the ejection port.

3) only a sturdy plastic nub with, apparently, a screw to force attachment from the inside

4) I just have no problem with the factory designed parts
===========================================

1) Yes, you have to ;

2) yes ; ejection of unfired ammunition works fine
I will test firing it and will tell the result ;

3) right ; the nub goes inside the previous return spring tube wich has been cut. A second little screw is also present at the bottom.
When firing, zero forces are applied on the nub ;

4) Very difficult to find parts at least in Belgium. Plenty of parts forbiden to be sold.

Para models are very rare, even in Liege (Herstal), and I understand it would be better to have both models.
Probably the reason why RDIH started to imagine a conversion.

RDIH owner was engineer in FN Herstal factory, I imagine that he knows what he does.

Last edited by FalMarc; November 30, 2019 at 03:11.
Old November 30, 2019, 10:47   #14
D. Lehrman
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I imagine he (pressed to lack of alternatives) may have something suitable for you folks. It just makes no sense in the U.S. - where it's order the parts, assemble and enjoy. The reproduction stock made here is quite sufficient and going to all that for no benefit just doesn't click in the states. New carriers, accurately reproduced spring sets and workable parts aren't as hard to obtain in our market; thus I question even bothering with the entry at Shot Show.

I realize the hinge and stock are unstressed and somewhat firmly attached. It's the uncontained spring areas and half assed sort of way the recoil system is expected to function that would seem to lend itself to possible misuse in the field. Damaged way more easily as compared the original para mods, and that's weak enough compared the standard model...naw, it's all yours and I understand - enjoy what you can.

Don't see any of that being a big success in the United States.
Old November 30, 2019, 11:48   #15
FalMarc
Registered

you are right about the 'non market' in the US.

I had no malfunctions with mine in semi-auto (full auto is forbiden here)

I liked to shorten my baby and I'm documenting myself on the spare parts needed to eventually bring it back to original, having two guns in one eventually with a minimum of work to be done ;

New legislation has passed here, which will see FAL owners able to sell their gun but in a restricted way because they were 'full auto' converted.
When children will inherit them, probably they will have to have them destroyed or kept for 'souvenir' with no way to shoot with it, no ammo permited
or to be part of a shooting club where 308 caliber can be used (not a lot of them).

Time will tell...

Last edited by FalMarc; November 30, 2019 at 12:08.
Old December 02, 2019, 10:19   #16
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
No real benfits other than its cheaper to make than the classic version. I do think the original para stock would benefit from a rubber pad on the back instead of just aluminum.
Old December 02, 2019, 22:54   #17
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Its ugly, and of no use in the US../

"Put your thumb up, hit the bolt release, and quit phuking with God and Eugene"
4x401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2019, 09:46   #18
mountainman
Registered

FALaholic #: 14702
forget that plastic knub on the fixed hinge. I'll make you all the aluminum bolts you need. I wouldn't mind offering milling of the BC's stateside if anyone interested.

Now I have to ask one question. Does this get along with a regular old top cover? I see the spring wanting to flop around and bind in there without some sort of tube containing it.
Old December 04, 2019, 11:33   #19
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
I cannot give any comments until I see it being tested. There are a lot of assumptions being made based on one single drawing.

For those who think it is fugly, what would you say to those who put AR stocks on a FAL (or anything else that is not an AR)?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2019, 12:35   #20
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Looks like it's right out of 1976.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2019, 12:52   #21
mountainman
Registered

FALaholic #: 14702
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
I cannot give any comments until I see it being tested. There are a lot of assumptions being made based on one single drawing.

For those who think it is fugly, what would you say to those who put AR stocks on a FAL (or anything else that is not an AR)?
I really think there is something good in the making, with strong potential. Just not as is. He's very close to good idea. The instructions requires too much machining to fit it to a lower. No customer wants to deal with that. I didn't quite understand why mess with the lock for upper/lower, or shave anything off the recoil block in the lower.
Old December 04, 2019, 14:57   #22
FalMarc
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Does this get along with a regular old top cover? I see the spring wanting to flop around and bind in there without some sort of tube containing it.
The cover guides the spring, no needs for a tube